HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rinaldo or ben holmstrom?

Old
04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
thelos
Bunk

vCash: 500
Giroux played most of Rinaldo's shifts. Carcillo definitely has more skill than Rinaldo, but less hitting

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:44 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
It seems the Flyers turn it on as soon as Rinaldo gets benched for the game

In game 1, did he even play after the first period? And in game 2, I don't remember noticing him out there past the halfway mark...

So in theory, he needs to be in the lineup in order for him to be benched.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I love Rinaldo's game. I think people are a little hard on him. But he is useless when the flyers get down or they need some offense. Isn't on the ice when the game is in crunch time. Also i am still waiting on that game changed hit. Haven't seen any big hits by him. I did enjoy him roughing Malkin up with Couts.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:14 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
residential Rinaldo hater spotted. Which one isn't being scratched in the play-offs again?
Carcillo blew his knee out earlier in the season, he's out for the year.

I like Rinaldo a lot, but Dan Carcillo is a hell of a hockey player when his head is on straight. The downside is that they're both loose cannons with targets on their backs.

In his 2nd year, Carcillo scored 24 pts in 57 games...while spending 324 mins in the box, under a coach who couldn't stand him. With those numbers, I expect he was on the stat sheet in some way every time he touched the ice.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
dats81

Holmström hasn't impressed me at all so far.
I doubt Lavi would play him more than Rinaldo at that point.

Rinaldo can at least throw some hits and be used to send a message when sent on the ice against one of the Pens top lines. And he can fight Asham, if required.

Personally, I would even prefer Scrabbles over Holmström. Speedy guy who can tear apart a slow defense.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:02 PM
captainpaxil

Rinaldo (like carcillo before him) is an energy player. its part personality part mindset. those guys are the rabbit in the dog race. setting a level of intensity that ups the game of those around them. swapping out holmstrom for rinaldo would be subtraction by addition. that all out intensity is what helps establish team identity and the up tempo game that is crucial for laviolettes sytem to work. rinaldo is always looking to make a statement whether or not hes making plays and that brings a value that is very underrated.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:17 PM
clodejirew

I think Rinaldo brings more than people give him credit for. He's not Jody Shelley. He can do more than just fight. He skates well, hits well, plays defense and is good on the forecheck.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:34 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
I think Rinaldo brings more than people give him credit for. He's not Jody Shelley. He can do more than just fight. He skates well, hits well, plays defense and is good on the forecheck.
If we was good at defense and all... they wouldnt bench him so that Wellwood and Giroux would take the spot instead (especially Wellwood).

He honestly isnt that good defensively. I dont know why some people keep saying that. Didnt play pk in juniors, AHL or so far in the NHL. He isnt trusted in a shutdown role either.

He hits hard and annoys people... pretty much it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:20 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If we was good at defense and all... they wouldnt bench him so that Wellwood and Giroux would take the spot instead (especially Wellwood).

He honestly isnt that good defensively. I dont know why some people keep saying that. Didnt play pk in juniors, AHL or so far in the NHL. He isnt trusted in a shutdown role either.

He hits hard and annoys people... pretty much it.
Strong forechecker, but not great defensively. He plays the Ovechkin version of defense, which is try and level people, making them more cautious and take note of who's on the ice next time.

He did get PK immediately when he got sent down to ADK earlier this season. I think Lavy and Homer want a lot more out of him rather than just a hard-hitting agitator.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Strong forechecker, but not great defensively. He plays the Ovechkin version of defense, which is try and level people, making them more cautious and take note of who's on the ice next time.

He did get PK immediately when he got sent down to ADK earlier this season. I think Lavy and Homer want a lot more out of him rather than just a hard-hitting agitator.
Yeah, for one game. That experiment ended quickly.

Flyersfan1493 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Yeah, for one game. That experiment ended quickly.
They'll revisit it. He's seen time against some top players this year. By next year he'll most likely be a 13th forward on the Flyers or a 3rd liner for the Phantoms, expected to shut opposing players down and kill penalties IF he wants another shot at the show.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
They'll revisit it. He's seen time against some top players this year. By next year he'll most likely be a 13th forward on the Flyers or a 3rd liner for the Phantoms, expected to shut opposing players down and kill penalties IF he wants another shot at the show.
I'd prefer the second option. He'd become an extremely valuable 4th liner if he could play better defense and PK.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I'd prefer the second option. He'd become an extremely valuable 4th liner if he could play better defense and PK.
I agree, but even if you take Jagr out of the picture within the next year or two, you have Cousins, Wellwood, Ranford, and Akeson all almost certainly battling for 2-3 roster spots, and Holmstrom, Sestito, and Rinaldo trying to squeeze in for a gritty 4th line spot.

It's nice being in this position

Old
04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
BringBackStevens

I have nothing against Rinaldo, but his reputation penalties isn't worth what little he brings in the playoffs

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:13 AM
mirimon

I liked what I saw from Holmstrom in his callup last season, this year he didn't impress much. At least not imo. I do believe he might be a 4th line center in the NHL sometime though. He's been a pretty solid captain for the Phantoms from what I've read, and has a pretty solid all around game to him.

I wouldn't drop Rinaldo until JvR comes back, however. He does get those annoying reputation calls, but I don't think he's been that undisciplined this year, and if he stays that way those type of calls will disappear eventually. He's also better defensively than I thought he'd be, and can keep up decently with guys like Couturier and Talbot. Wellwood is here to stay though, so when JvR comes back, it is Rinaldo who leaves the lineup if I'm calling the shots.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
They abandoned that and brought him back because they knew it wasn't going to work. You're either trying to develop a player or your not.

And he doesn't seem to be much of an energy player considering how great we start games.

Also, in the playoffs, anyone (especially a forward) who can't play at least 10 minutes is useless in my opinion. Too much on the line to have a guy who just sits on the end of the bench.

I don't think Holmstrom would get much more time though, which is why I'd prefer a 7th defenseman.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Flyguy_1ca

Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
Still not seeing the point of rinaldo....guess i never will.

Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
iamcanadian23

Can anyone validate Zac Rinaldo's roster spot?

He is a penalty or suspension waiting to happen, he cannot win a fight and he brings no significant offensive or defensive contribution - all in about five minutes of ice.

This guy must have dirt on Peter Laviolette.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Flyrs21

Rinaldo should never play another game in the NHL

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
Rinaldo should never play another game in the NHL
Could care less if he plays another game in the NHL, just not for the Flyers (or minor league affiliate for that matter).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:34 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The Pens have been far dirtier then the Flyers this series. Rinaldo won't even get suspended for the glove punches. If anything he should have skated around and "accidently" charged into Malkin. Sestito would be the better option right now though because I am sure he would keep the Pens on their toes with all these head shots. Sestito is more unpredictable and I am sure the Pens would be afraid if they did something he would take them out.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
SilkyMitts

rinaldo is balls to the walls and one of the hardest hitters on the team. defensemen have to look over their shoulder when going back for a puck because they know that if hes on the ice, hes going to drill them. sometimes that may cause them to cough the puck up.

i really dont think rinaldo is that dirty of a player. last night he deserved a double minor at the most. 2 for cross checking, and 2 for roughing. but last night was ridiculous. The game misconducts on him, kubina, simmonds and cooke were absolute jokes.

his reputation is what kills him.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Xegiie

Rinaldo is useless, he can not play hockey and he can not fight.

Its nice he isn't afraid of bigger guys, but whats point if he loses pretty much all of em?

To drag penalties and boost the other team?

no thanks

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
rinaldo is balls to the walls and one of the hardest hitters on the team. defensemen have to look over their shoulder when going back for a puck because they know that if hes on the ice, hes going to drill them. sometimes that may cause them to cough the puck up.

i really dont think rinaldo is that dirty of a player. last night he deserved a double minor at the most. 2 for cross checking, and 2 for roughing. but last night was ridiculous. The game misconducts on him, kubina, simmonds and cooke were absolute jokes.

IMO that makes it even worse. As soon as he steps on the ice the refs take notice and anything he does that is even marginal is going to result in a penalty.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post

When you only play 5-7 minute a game, does it really matter?