HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am sorry Homer

Old
04-14-2012, 04:56 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
We haven't won anything yet

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

no. but i would rather have Bryz, Coots, Schenn, Simmonds & Jake over Richards , Carter, other goalies

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:17 PM
bennyprofane

Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
The party boys are gone, replaced by guys who care.
Suggesting Mike Richards didn't care is pretty ridiculous.

bennyprofane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Yea, we really missed out on Vokoun ..
::
Never said anything about Vokoun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
The party boys are gone, replaced by guys who care.
Right, because it's not like anyone currently on the Flyers parties, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyprofane View Post
This.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:25 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
The suggestion is that Mike Richards doesn't care enough.

For 99% of players it's not enough to show up for just the 60 minutes. There is a lot of downtime that can be put to better use than partying.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
There's a reason I post on the Devils board probably 5 times as much as I do here. Mainly because when that slew of posters bailed, the average IQ around here dropped by about 30 points.
Huh? The GM made a series of great moves that a bunch of know-it-all wannabe GMs didn't agree with. They were WRONG. I think you grossly overestimate the IQ of the Sulking Departed or Self-Exiled in Embarrassment. They aren't missed here, since it's pretty clear they had no friggin' idea what they were talking about in the first placee, their own self-delusions notwithstanding....

I realize it's going to be hard for all the Homer Haters to come back, but let's just say, the Flyer Bandwagon welcomes prodigal sons and daughters.

Just begin your return posts by saying 'I admit it, I was wrong about Holmgren.'

If not, we reserve the right to keep laughing at their arrogance and making fun of them for their stupidity. They really should be Penguin fans with that attitude.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:36 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
The suggestion is that Mike Richards doesn't care enough.

For 99% of players it's not enough to show up for just the 60 minutes. There is a lot of downtime that can be put to better use than partying.
Not even close to 99% of players show up for the whole 60 minutes.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Huh? The GM made a series of great moves that a bunch of know-it-all wannabe GMs didn't agree with. They were WRONG. I think you grossly overestimate the IQ of the Sulking Departed or Self-Exiled in Embarrassment. They aren't missed here, since it's pretty clear they had no friggin' idea what they were talking about in the first placee, their own self-delusions notwithstanding....

I realize it's going to be hard for all the Homer Haters to come back, but let's just say, the Flyer Bandwagon welcomes prodigal sons and daughters.

Just begin your return posts by saying 'I admit it, I was wrong about Holmgren.'

If not, we reserve the right to keep laughing at their arrogance and making fun of them for their stupidity. They really should be Penguin fans with that attitude.

Homer can do no wrong!

Many of them are missed here. They'd bring the average IQ of this board's members up a few notches.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:43 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Yeah but somethings certainly different. That can't be denied, whether you're in the locker room, in the stands, or in Siberia. It's like Richards, Carter, and briefly Versteeg (and maybe more) were all debbie-downers when the team wasn't doing well. Plus that team would quit. Down 3+ goals they'd mail it in. Up a goal or two...they were terrible in the 3rd period for the last couple years, remember? This new team has drive...it has jam

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:57 AM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yeah but somethings certainly different. That can't be denied, whether you're in the locker room, in the stands, or in Siberia. It's like Richards, Carter, and briefly Versteeg (and maybe more) were all debbie-downers when the team wasn't doing well. Plus that team would quit. Down 3+ goals they'd mail it in. Up a goal or two...they were terrible in the 3rd period for the last couple years, remember? This new team has drive...it has jam
are you guys serious? werent they part of the team that came back 0-3 against boston?

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:58 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Never said anything about Vokoun.

Right, because it's not like anyone currently on the Flyers parties, right?

This.
Haters gon' hate

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:02 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Yeah, because none of those guys were on the 2010 team. Oh wait...

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Haters gon' hate
What a well constructed argument.

Going to Bryz with what was basically a blank check was idiotic. I'm not against signing Bryz. I think he's a very good goalie who brings much needed stability to the position. However, signing him for 9 years with a NMC was too much. Much like Briere's, his contract has the potential to be crippling if his production diminishes with age.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:05 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
are you guys serious? werent they part of the team that came back 0-3 against boston?
Richards was, and he played well. He always played well. I've never had an issue with Richards on the ice. I've just never been a fan of his off-ice/locker room demeanor. Granted, it's always displayed to us by the much maligned Philly media...but still.

Since that trade happened, I've been happy with the Carter deal, and shocked by the Richards deal, but content with the return.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:12 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Yeah, because none of those guys were on the 2010 team. Oh wait...
Versteeg wasn't, Carter might as well not have been, and Richards was. Oh wait...Doesn't change my feelings. It never seemed like hockey came 1st for any of them

Quote:
What a well constructed argument.

Going to Bryz with what was basically a blank check was idiotic. I'm not against signing Bryz. I think he's a very good goalie who brings much needed stability to the position. However, signing him for 9 years with a NMC was too much. Much like Briere's, his contract has the potential to be crippling if his production diminishes with age.
Bad contracts, yes. But our hands were forced. For Briere, we were coming off the worst season in franchise history and trying to rebuild quickly. I highly doubt he'd be here if we didn't overpay and sweeten it with a NTC. As for Bryz...well, it was no secret that we needed a goalie. Anyone with a brain and one working eye could see that, and Snider's guarantee didn't help either. Bryz could have sat and drive the price up until he got the money he wants.

Also...players don't really give a crap about cap hit. They care about what they're actually getting on a year to year basis. The GMs care about cap hit...THAT matters to them. To decrease the cap hit, you stretch out the contract length. I assume we could have a cap hit of around $8M/4-5 years for Bryz if people prefer that?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Versteeg wasn't, Carter might as well not have been, and Richards was. Oh wait...Doesn't change my feelings. It never seemed like hockey came 1st for any of them
As far as the first thing is concerned, you can't just decide on a whim "Carter might as well not have been". He was, and there's no disputing that. As for the second, "seemed" seems to be the right word.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Go For It

Quote:

Bad contracts, yes. But our hands were forced. For Briere, we were coming off the worst season in franchise history and trying to rebuild quickly. I highly doubt he'd be here if we didn't overpay and sweeten it with a NTC. As for Bryz...well, it was no secret that we needed a goalie. Anyone with a brain and one working eye could see that, and Snider's guarantee didn't help either. Bryz could have sat and drive the price up until he got the money he wants.

Also...players don't really give a crap about cap hit. They care about what they're actually getting on a year to year basis. The GMs care about cap hit...THAT matters to them. To decrease the cap hit, you stretch out the contract length. I assume we could have a cap hit of around $8M/4-5 years for Bryz if people prefer that?
You don't get to the NHL, yet alone be a 1st round draft pick, if hockey doesn't come first for you.

As for the Briere situation, I agree that it may have been necessary at the time, but it's starting to really hurt now.

Again, you're right about cap hit vs. actual cash dollars. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of the length of the deal, but the NMC is what really gets me. Towards the end of the deal, his contract would be perfect for a small-market team looking to meet the cap floor.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
We haven't won anything yet
Bang on with this statement, and I hope the players are having this tattooed onto their foreheads by Laviolette. The task is incomplete until the buzzer goes on win #4.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:53 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
You don't get to the NHL, yet alone be a 1st round draft pick, if hockey doesn't come first for you.

As for the Briere situation, I agree that it may have been necessary at the time, but it's starting to really hurt now.

Again, you're right about cap hit vs. actual cash dollars. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of the length of the deal, but the NMC is what really gets me. Towards the end of the deal, his contract would be perfect for a small-market team looking to meet the cap floor.
I think we have an option to dump him...but not until 2020

As for the Richards/Carter thing, I can assume all day that they had other priorities, while others can assume all day that they cared about hockey most. We'll never know. Honestly, they're in a better place now for their own interests (be it partying, lack of hockey limelight, lack of insufferable media, etc).

Old
04-15-2012, 02:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

Once upon a time, Flyer fans weren't so sad that they celebrated two wins in the first round like it was the Cup. Hell, two years ago we were in Game 6 with Michael
Leighton.

I guess times change, and measures of success are lowered.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:19 AM
BillDineen

Homer is a high risk GM with an excellent scouting staff and poor overall cap management. Overall, his winning % on moves is looking very good right now. (Hindsight is 20/20). That does not mean his next move will be a good one (it might be horrible), but I feel we as fans are very lucky to have the right owner and front office to keep this team competitive for years.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Once upon a time, Flyer fans weren't so sad that they celebrated two wins in the first round like it was the Cup.
Silly us, we should be whipping ourselves and repenting for our sins until the Cup is ours.

I'm not sure when you lost your perspective, but maybe you should take a break from watching hockey. It's too much for you.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:43 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Once upon a time, Flyer fans weren't so sad that they celebrated two wins in the first round like it was the Cup. Hell, two years ago we were in Game 6 with Michael
Leighton.

I guess times change, and measures of success are lowered.
Yeah, the two wins in Pittsburgh were great, but it's not like this team has achieved anything great yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Homer is a high risk GM with an excellent scouting staff and poor overall cap management. Overall, his winning % on moves is looking very good right now. (Hindsight is 20/20). That does not mean his next move will be a good one (it might be horrible), but I feel we as fans are very lucky to have the right owner and front office to keep this team competitive for years.
Yeah, I agree with this as well. Homer is a bit too impatient for me at times, but the guy sure has balls. And it's never boring as a Flyer fan, that's for sure.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Not even close to 99% of players show up for the whole 60 minutes.
Haha I was just thinking that. What team are we watching? I'm watching the one that doesn't play the first 10-15 minutes.

Homer did a good job getting good value in the trades, he's real good at talent evaluation, has a very good scouting staff, and a piss poor cap management staff. He usually somewhat overpays for players, has made some dumb moves, some strange/bad trades, and completely lacks patience.

However, he gets the players he wants, who often have turned out to be good, and he ices a competitive team every year. That is also easier to do when you can spend to the cap every year, but you still need to get the right players.

I will say that he has shown he's very good at rebuilding a team in short order.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Just wondering...do all the Holmgren lovers think Jim Rutherford is a good GM?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote