HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF Game 2: Hawks Win 4-3 in OT!

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 01:40 AM
LandofLincoln

vCash: 500
The Blackhawks have the best 6 on 5 team in the NHL after pulling their goalie. Unfortunately 5 on 4 is a completely different world.

We should pull our goaltender the final 2 minutes of the second period because we seem to flourish when we pull Crawford and score with less than 10 seconds to bad the powerplay is not as good as 6 on 5 hockey.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:40 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
And they even said it was clearly embellished.
I'm not saying it wasn't. Everyone keeps saying head to head, which is not the case.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:43 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
The Blackhawks have the best 6 on 5 team in the NHL after pulling their goalie. Unfortunately 5 on 4 is a completely different world.

We should pull our goaltender the final 2 minutes of the second period because we seem to flourish when we pull Crawford and score with less than 10 seconds to bad the powerplay is not as good as 6 on 5 hockey.
That's because there's no urgency shown by the Hawks 5 on 4 like there is 6 on 5 at the end of regulation.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

It really depends on the angle.

now, the above cam does make it look more legit. he did, however, do a very good HBK impersonation.

also, when he kicked off the boards and began his Curly routine, my first thought was

Old
04-15-2012, 01:46 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't. Everyone keeps saying head to head, which is not the case.
Either way, he got brushed and was flailing around like he had acid poured on his face. Shaw got a game-misconduct and Smith, as he told Yotes PR, is "100% fine".. that's all that should come of it.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:48 AM
MagicSlap*

If you see it from above it looks way worse than it really was. Seeing it from a neutral angle shows that it's a hit, yes, and a stupid one but it exposes Smith. You see his head snap back you see his gloves flick off for no reason you see the full dive. Shaw was not in control of his body but to think he deserves anything more than a 2 minute penalty (5 at most, not a misconduct) is a joke, especially with people calling for 3 game suspension.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
If you see it from above it looks way worse than it really was. Seeing it from a neutral angle shows that it's a hit, yes, and a stupid one but it exposes Smith. You see his head snap back you see his gloves flick off for no reason you see the full dive. Shaw was not in control of his body but to think he deserves anything more than a 2 minute penalty (5 at most, not a misconduct) is a joke, especially with people calling for 3 game suspension.
Agreed. I figured they would give him 2 at most for interference, and even that I thought shouldn't have been after seeing the tape. When they tossed him I nearly lost it.

Any further discipline for an act where he was CLEARLY trying to squeeze by and avoid contact would be ridiculous.

I think Shannahan has his work cut out for him tonight thanks to the other games that happened today, thankfully.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:55 AM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Agreed. I figured they would give him 2 at most for interference, and even that I thought shouldn't have been after seeing the tape. When they tossed him I nearly lost it.

Any further discipline for an act where he was CLEARLY trying to squeeze by and avoid contact would be ridiculous.

I think Shannahan has his work cut out for him tonight thanks to the other games that happened today, thankfully.
Carkner should get a medal. Anyone who says any enforcer has no place in the NHL today needs to look at tonight's game.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Frattin23

Quote:
5 minute majors usually come with an obligatory game misconduct.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:00 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Because Stalberg has been 100% ineffective in this series and he's played some of his best hockey as a Hawk in the bottom-6. Shaw plays the same way no matter what line he's on.
Stalberg has played his best hockey lately with Sharp. No reason to break that up because of a couple of off nights. 100% ineffective is incorrect. He hasn't played his best and has made some mistakes, certainly. Made the play to set up the game-winning goal, I'd say that has some value.

But Stalberg is not a player cut out to be playing in the d zone all night. That 3rd line starts so many shifts in the defensive zone that it really doesn't maximize Stalberg's strengths, but instead his defensive weaknesses.

Plus who knows with Shanahan if Shaw will get a game or 2 for that ridiculous play behind the net.

Also, it must be reiterated how badass Jonathan Toews is. He had a pretty off night, but still just worked so hard right down to the very end. Didn't show up on the scoresheet, but they never tie it without him harassing Vermette after Kane's shot missed wide. Toews created that whole opportunity by disrupting Vermette enough for the puck to come to Seabrook, and it's just another play by a great, great player. I mean, to miss two months and return to this series....very tough to do and he's showing why he's one of the best players in the league.

Last edited by BronYrAur: 04-15-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old
04-15-2012, 02:04 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772

I'm embarrassed as a hockey fan the same way I'm embarrassed as a soccer fan watching this flop. The flailing arms with the glove throw. The head jerk all the way back. This is disgusting.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:06 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Stalberg has played his best hockey lately with Sharp. No reason to break that up because of a couple of off nights. 100% ineffective is incorrect. He hasn't played his best and has made some mistakes, certainly. Made the play to set up the game-winning goal, I'd say that has some value.

But Stalberg is not a player cut out to be playing in the d zone all night. That 3rd line starts so many shifts in the defensive zone that it really doesn't maximize Stalberg's strengths, but instead his defensive weaknesses.

Plus who knows with Shanahan if Shaw will get a game or 2 for that ridiculous play behind the net.
He made the play? He took away the boards (as any other winger would have) and the puck bounced off him right into the slot. There was far more luck in that play than skill.

Stalberg is not a player cut out to play in the defensive zone, ever.. but at least on the third line, with great two-way player like Bolland, it helps cover up his defensive short-comings while adding a speed element that would otherwise not be on any line in our bottom-6.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:12 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
He made the play? He took away the boards (as any other winger would have) and the puck bounced off him right into the slot. There was far more luck in that play than skill.
Of course it was a lot of luck. Lucky too that Smith gave up a real softy on Bickell's shot, too. Still a good hockey play.

Quote:
Stalberg is not a player cut out to play in the defensive zone, ever.. but at least on the third line, with great two-way player like Bolland, it helps cover up his defensive short-comings while adding a speed element that would otherwise not be on any line in our bottom-6.
Toews & Sharp are both solid two-way players, and on that line they spend much more time in the offensive zone, creating chances, maximizing Stalberg's speed and puck-carrying skills. Sure, be nice to have his speed on the third line, but I'd rather see Shaw down there because he's a grittier player.

IMO, Bolland was MIA for large portion of the game tonight, as he was last night. Was surprised to see he had 5 shots on goal. Maybe was better than I thought. Bickell was on fire with the hitting in the 3rd period, definitely helped provide a boost to the team. He has got to continue to play like that. His 2 goals were pretty fluky but that physical element is going to be huge at the end of games like that.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS85 View Post
Speculation already that Smith has "concussion-like effects."

GTFO with that garbage. Toews is out there drooling and ****ting oatmeal, yet he's played six physical periods. Mike Smith gives up a couple late goals after his *****/canuck tactics failed and all of a sudden he's concussed.

Goalies wear a ridiculous amount of pads and their heads are more protected than any other player in any other sport.
Not true, goalie helmets are designed to protect against objects coming towards them not full on direct contact like football helmets.

That being said Smith did put on a Kessler like performance with his antics.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
If Weber wasn't suspended for slamming someones head into the boards twice, I don't see how the league can suspend Shaw.
Becuase Weber is a Captain, Norris Canidate, All-Star and well known player, Shaw is a grinder who hit a goalie who the league, since the Lucic hit on Miller, is overprotecting.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:23 AM
EbonyRaptor

Q demoted Kruger in the game tonight and had Toews centering Sharp and Stalberg at least for a little while tonight before it got all chaotic at the end, and Kane was back centering for Hossa. I'd love to see Shaw play with Kane and Hossa - providing Hossa is in beast mode which he clearly has not been these first two games. With Hossa in beast mode, that line shouldn't be too bad defensively.

Sharp-Toews-Stalberg
Shaw-Kane-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik
Bollig-Kruger-Mayers

Old
04-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Um... yes, I blame a grown man for pretending to be more hurt than they actually are. It's called diving and it's a disgrace to the sport of hockey.
It's a disgrace to manhood and sports in general, the Smith dive reminded me of Paul Pierce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysT8RA6JQks

Old
04-15-2012, 02:40 AM
hockeylife9

Hey guys, Jets fan here. Couple of things:
1. What an embellishment by Smith, huh? That was absolutely sickening. And the second Shaw got kicked out, he's ok? BS. It was a penalty for sure, 2 min at most. Here's to hoping no suspension.
2. Pretty good overall game. I'm really rooting for you guys to be the Coyotes.
3. it would be good if you're PP could start going. Once that starts working, you have this series - and I don't think the games would be 1 goal games.

Anyway, good luck the rest of the way! Go Hawks!

Old
04-15-2012, 02:43 AM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Q demoted Kruger in the game tonight and had Toews centering Sharp and Stalberg at least for a little while tonight before it got all chaotic at the end, and Kane was back centering for Hossa. I'd love to see Shaw play with Kane and Hossa - providing Hossa is in beast mode which he clearly has not been these first two games. With Hossa in beast mode, that line shouldn't be too bad defensively.

Sharp-Toews-Stalberg
Shaw-Kane-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik
Bollig-Kruger-Mayers
good line up. maybe hayes instead of frolik?

Old
04-15-2012, 02:45 AM
icekoob

Remember when everyone thought we were done for cause Beluga posted the gdt before midnight.

Those darn jinxes

Old
04-15-2012, 04:44 AM
madgoat33

Old
04-15-2012, 05:02 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

BS comments by JR on the Smith dive. You're still a idiot and STF*.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:41 AM
ndgt10

Shaw has a hearing today.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:57 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
If he gets a suspension it's simply BS, but I am afraid that's just what will happen. 1 game at the most, if anything more then I don't know what's going on. Fine is enough if even that. He got the book thrown at him in the game just because of Smith's embellishment and that's that as far as I am concerned.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:33 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If Shaw gets anything more than a $2500 fine for incidental contact while Weber gets away with assault I'll lose what little faith I have left in Shanahan.

Closed Thread