HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Claude Giroux vs Jonathan Toews

View Poll Results: Giroux vs Toews
Giroux 99 45.83%
Toews 117 54.17%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ptboat View Post
Yes THEY are the guides [I don't consider you a Professional,far from it ]
So it seems that the opinion of the majority seems to agree with the Pros so far in the number of 82-49 for Toews
We're discussing Toews vs. Richards.

This poll is Toews vs. Giroux, in case you didn't realize that...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:21 PM
lakai17

vCash: 637
Toews and Im a fan of Giroux.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And the Flyers most valuable players don't exist in this discussion?

Your "young stars" have you pacing to finish 19th out of 30 teams in NHL and 11th in the West out of 15 teams.

I guarantee you that nobody in Philadelphia is envious of your team. Your cup? Maybe, but certainly not your situation or your players.
It's cool if you want to question our performance after having half the team shipped out over the summer. That could never possibly affect a team's performance, chemistry, or dynamics. That'd just be silly.

Neither could playing the most games after having the shortest offseason of any team in the league.

It's also cool if you want to pretend like we won't eventually turn it around.

Bitterness is a hell of a drug.

Quote:

Toews was not the best forward in the Olympics. If I remember correctly he came in as the 13th forward, jumped in and finally succeed when he was placed on a line with Richards and Nash.

I don't remember all the details because I was mostly following team USA, but I remember thinking that the Toews-Richards-Nash line was absolutely dominant; the best line in the tournament.

That said, it takes three players to make that line, and the idea that Toews was even better than Richards in the Olympics is completely overblown. It's an opinion, and it's an opinion we obviously don't share.
He did come in as the 13th forward, and then he led his line to dominance.

Mike Babcock was quoted as saying, when asked who his best player was, "anyone playing with Jonathan Toews". I guess if you want to take that literally, then sure, Richards was the best forward. So was Nash.

If you truly believe that you're that much smarter than the rest of the world's hockey analysts, than there is no point in arguing this with your clearly superior intellect.

Quote:

Toews had one great postseason, and his performance was marginally better than Richards.

I thought Richards was better in the Olympics, but Toews got all the recognition by NHL analysts and thus HFboards because he's, well, Toews. Most of that has to do with the fact that he plays for Chicago. A good team in Philadelphia is not interesting. A good team in Chicago is not something you see every day. A playoff team in Chicago these days seems to come once or twice every 15-20 years. Chicago's on path to continue that trend right now.

Toews has not done anything up to Richards' level during the regular season; not offensively and not defensively.

Yes, this thread is pretty much over.
First off, the Olympics, an international event, was not presided over solely by officials and analysts from a regional league. It wasn't even predominantly moderated by said people. Unless of course the international hockey community cares all that much about the fact that one city in one league is once again a playoff contender. Conspiracy theories are fun.

Also, you're counting the performance of Toews' team before he arrived against him? Classy move.

As for the ridiculous idea of Chicago having a playoff team once every 15-20 years, a trend which clearly no team with players of their caliber could ever recover from, I just have to say...

It doesn't matter as long as we win.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
A good team in Chicago is not something you see every day. A playoff team in Chicago these days seems to come once or twice every 15-20 years. Chicago's on path to continue that trend right now.
If we were talking about baseball, your above post is true.

The Blackhawks made the playoffs 28 years in a row from '69-'97. Hardly "once every 15-20 years".

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie42 View Post
If we were talking about baseball, your above post is true.

The Blackhawks made the playoffs 28 years in a row from '69-'97. Hardly "once every 15-20 years".
Yeah, you're right about that. I over-exaggerated.

My mistake. I also didn't realize they made the playoffs that often. That's pretty impressive.

Still, you should understand what I mean about the difference between selling the Flyers, a team that doesn't need any advertising, vs. selling the Blackhawks after years of issues.

Old
11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
toews

and he's more talented offensively too

One goal that happened a couple years ago proves he's more talented offensively? No, not really

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Toews will be the better all-around player.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:11 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
And the Flyers most valuable players don't exist in this discussion?

Your "young stars" have you pacing to finish 19th out of 30 teams in NHL and 11th in the West out of 15 teams.

I guarantee you that nobody in Philadelphia is envious of your team. Your cup? Maybe, but certainly not your situation or your players.

Toews was not the best forward in the Olympics. If I remember correctly he came in as the 13th forward, jumped in and finally succeed when he was placed on a line with Richards and Nash.

I don't remember all the details because I was mostly following team USA, but I remember thinking that the Toews-Richards-Nash line was absolutely dominant; the best line in the tournament.

That said, it takes three players to make that line, and the idea that Toews was even better than Richards in the Olympics is completely overblown. It's an opinion, and it's an opinion we obviously don't share.

Toews had one great postseason, and his performance was marginally better than Richards.

I thought Richards was better in the Olympics, but Toews got all the recognition by NHL analysts and thus HFboards because he's, well, Toews. Most of that has to do with the fact that he plays for Chicago. A good team in Philadelphia is not interesting. A good team in Chicago is not something you see every day. A playoff team in Chicago these days seems to come once or twice every 15-20 years. Chicago's on path to continue that trend right now.

Toews has not done anything up to Richards' level during the regular season; not offensively and not defensively.

Yes, this thread is pretty much over.
Toews had 8 pts and was a +9
Please tell me how Richards was better in any way in the Olympics??????????
LOLOL You are so biased you dont even make sense, it's not me saying in my opinion Toews was the best FWD of the Olympics, IT WAS AN AWARD HE WON NOT HFBOARDS SAYING SO. You can post your comments to no avail, You have nothing to debate, it is a loosing battle, 99 percent of people would say Toews played better than Richards in the Olympics, Babcock himself was quoted saying "Anyone who plays with Toews" as to who was his best line.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
JUICEY*

After a hot start, Giroux has only 2 points and is a -2 in his last 8 games.

The guy is fancy and exciting to watch, but he is no Jonathan Toews. Both are great playoff performers, but Toews is better. Both great at defense, but Toews is better. This year, Giroux will finish with around 60-70 points(imo) and Toews will finish with 70-80(imo).

I just don't see how Giroux is better. HF freaks out over hot starts and forgets reality. Giroux never has scored more than 47 points in a season. Toews has had a better PPG every single year in the league and has been better at defense and faceoffs. Not even that close.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEY View Post
After a hot start, Giroux has only 2 points and is a -2 in his last 8 games.

The guy is fancy and exciting to watch, but he is no Jonathan Toews. Both are great playoff performers, but Toews is better. Both great at defense, but Toews is better. This year, Giroux will finish with around 60-70 points(imo) and Toews will finish with 70-80(imo).

I just don't see how Giroux is better. HF freaks out over hot starts and forgets reality. Giroux never has scored more than 47 points in a season. Toews has had a better PPG every single year in the league and has been better at defense and faceoffs. Not even that close.
Giroux is averaging 0.88 PPG while playing 18:36 per game.
Toews is averaging 0.81 PPG while playing 18:38 per game.

I doubt Giroux has suddenly cooled off never to be heard from again. The entire team is in a goal-scoring funk once again. These things come and go, and the Flyers' normally top 5 PP has been terrible this year. I'd almost rather go on the kill and try to generate offense there. It's absurd how bad our PP has been in recent games.

The scoring will come back in bunches.

Besides, this poll was never about who is the better player now, it's about who will be the better player over the next 15 years, and on top of that, I still think Giroux will finish with more points this season.

Old
12-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Giroux is averaging 0.88 PPG while playing 18:36 per game.
Toews is averaging 0.81 PPG while playing 18:38 per game.

I doubt Giroux has suddenly cooled off never to be heard from again. The entire team is in a goal-scoring funk once again. These things come and go, and the Flyers' normally top 5 PP has been terrible this year. I'd almost rather go on the kill and try to generate offense there. It's absurd how bad our PP has been in recent games.

The scoring will come back in bunches.

Besides, this poll was never about who is the better player now, it's about who will be the better player over the next 15 years, and on top of that, I still think Giroux will finish with more points this season.
Of course you do.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:28 AM
crimsonking

I like both, but Toews.

crimsonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no Tie option?

I take the one who has won more and I think it will be Toews. Already the Captain of his Team that he lead to the Cup. It will be close and only future will show. I also think that Toews will be a lifetime Hawk. I doubt Giroux will be a lifetime Flyer.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hooch314

Are you kidding? Toews is the third best player in hockey. How is this close?

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Interesting poll... what would the results be as of today?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 11:50 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Giroux easily, and you're silly if you still think otherwise.

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Giroux

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:01 AM
MessierII

Toews is special.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Chelios

The day after Giroux scores 6 points? Giroux AINEC!

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
The day after Giroux scores 6 points? Giroux AINEC!
Yup..especially the day after Giroxu scores 6 pts.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

I'm a fan of both, Giroux a bit moreso, and my answer here is Toews. He's younger and he just takes the game more seriously than anyone except perhaps Crosby. I think Giroux will be the slightly better purely offensive player, but Toews edge in goalscoring and defense will be noticeable.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Still Toews

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:36 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Hawk fan saying Claude.

Toews' offensive numbers are just too limited.

Great player but he is overrated due to the Canada/Captain effect.

He is not a top 3-5 player in the league no matter what TSN says.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:44 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Giroux, between close and INEC

I'd take both over the Sedins

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote