HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 02:31 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupulbeastmode View Post
Leafs fan coming in peace (I swear).

Ok, so as you guys are probably aware, most leaf fans are set on Galchenyuk. However, we only came to that conclusion since it is the most reasonable bet. We were sure that the habs would take the better prospect in Grigorenko. By better, I mean less risky. I am baffled to see that the habs board is now as set to take Gally as we are.

What swayed your decision? Were you guys always into Gally? Grigorenko is good, but I don't really like his attitude. Plus, he hasn't been too clutch in the playoffs this year. Just for laughs, did any of you see his interview with nhl.com? "One thing about me? I am romantic." LOL wtf...
His attitude/work ethic isn't really a problem, it's his compete level/willingness to go to the net. Personally I thought Galchenyuk should be #1 last year, but Galchenyuk really competes well in all 3 zones, is a gym rat (like timmins) and has elite vision.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:36 AM
Frattin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Not sure if i am alone but i get the feeling that Edm will pick Murray at number 1, especially if they manage to get him to play at Wc and he does well. Then Columbus will take the most american of top forwards which is GalChenyuk leaving us Yakupov...
You are alone on that. The one thing that is not debatable is that Yakupov is going first overall. Everything after that is chaos.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Frattin23

To all of you saying the russians will go 1,2,3. I understand you would like that, but the chances of it happening are minuscule. If Columbus picks 2nd overall, they will pick Murray. That leaves you guys with grigorenko or galchenyuk. Then, I can see the Islanders rolling the dice and picking Dumba. The guy is receiving a lot of talk lately, especially after being named captain of the U-18s. That leaves the leafs with one of Grigs/Gally.

Anything but this order is not logical imo. But this is the NHL, where truly anything is possible, so we will have to wait until June

Old
04-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Quote:
To all of you saying the russians will go 1,2,3. I understand you would like that, but the chances of it happening are minuscule. If Columbus picks 2nd overall, they will pick Murray. That leaves you guys with grigorenko or galchenyuk. Then, I can see the Islanders rolling the dice and picking Dumba. The guy is receiving a lot of talk lately, especially after being named captain of the U-18s. That leaves the leafs with one of Grigs/Gally.

Anything but this order is not logical imo. But this is the NHL, where truly anything is possible, so we will have to wait until June
Yeah, I was thinking
Yakupov
Galchenyuk/Murray
Galchenyuk>Grigorenko
Dumba
Galchenyuk/Grigorenko

Old
04-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Frattin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
His attitude/work ethic isn't really a problem, it's his compete level/willingness to go to the net. Personally I thought Galchenyuk should be #1 last year, but Galchenyuk really competes well in all 3 zones, is a gym rat (like timmins) and has elite vision.
Ya, but in the same token, willingness can go either way. People said that of Malkin too before coming into the league. Not saying Grigorenko is Malkin, but it is easy to get cocky when you have been dominating the sport your entire life. He puts in the effort that he needs to get along. For all you know, once he reaches the NHL, and sees that he is not a stud anymore, he will adapt his compete level. We all know the skill is there.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Tom wilson is the definition of the player your looking for, his upside is milan lucic but i see him as a tougher moen.
Cool, thanks man. Is there any chance he drops to the 2nd round?

Old
04-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Quote:
Ya, but in the same token, willingness can go either way. People said that of Malkin too before coming into the league. Not saying Grigorenko is Malkin, but it is easy to get cocky when you have been dominating the sport your entire life. He puts in the effort that he needs to get along. For all you know, once he reaches the NHL, and sees that he is not a stud anymore, he will adapt his compete level. We all know the skill is there.
I agree, in my opinion and looks, everything is overblown. And I for sure take him if Galchenyuk is taken before our pick (still fine with Forsberg and Murray though)

Old
04-15-2012, 03:08 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Ok, so as you guys are probably aware, most leaf fans are set on Galchenyuk. However, we only came to that conclusion since it is the most reasonable bet. We were sure that the habs would take the better prospect in Grigorenko. By better, I mean less risky. I am baffled to see that the habs board is now as set to take Gally as we are.

What swayed your decision? Were you guys always into Gally? Grigorenko is good, but I don't really like his attitude. Plus, he hasn't been too clutch in the playoffs this year. Just for laughs, did any of you see his interview with nhl.com? "One thing about me? I am romantic." LOL wtf...
I think it is mainly Grigorenkos perimetre play and total lack of work ethic/grit. Personally I don't want to see another floater on this team and Galchenyuk is just as big and just as talented as Grigorenko. You can't teach a kid how to compete and that is what we would be hoping for if we took Grigorenko.

Galchenyuk seems exactly like the kind of kid Timmins would take. He is a gym rat and never gives up. We need more players with that sort of drive and desire to win.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Cool, thanks man. Is there any chance he drops to the 2nd round?
Good chance, however some people would rather go for someone with a higher offensive ceiling like bozon. Personally I've really enjoyed how Wilson has played in the playoffs hes all heart, but the question marks about his offensive abilities still remain and if we should use a 2nd round on a player who will most likely hover around 30 points in the NHL.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:12 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are some good fighters that can play hockey in this draft?
It doesn't have to be a Milan Lucic, just someone that can play on the fourth line and not hurt his team a la Shawn Thornton.
If you want a player like Lucic wouldn't Samuelsson be a perfect fit? Plays on the edge and can be dirty, tough as nails and big.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If you want a player like Lucic wouldn't Samuelsson be a perfect fit? Plays on the edge and can be dirty, tough as nails and big.
Never heard of him but I looked him up and he's very interesting. Good size, good stats and clearly won the fight I watched of him on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Good chance, however some people would rather go for someone with a higher offensive ceiling like bozon. Personally I've really enjoyed how Wilson has played in the playoffs hes all heart, but the question marks about his offensive abilities still remain and if we should use a 2nd round on a player who will most likely hover around 30 points in the NHL.
We have 2 2nd round picks so I'd be OK with drafting him. If he could become a physical 3rd liner that sticks up for his teammates, that would be great.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:08 AM
Beendair Donedat

Wilson = much much tougher than Samuelsson

Old
04-15-2012, 04:16 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Never heard of him but I looked him up and he's very interesting. Good size, good stats and clearly won the fight I watched of him on YouTube.

We have 2 2nd round picks so I'd be OK with drafting him. If he could become a physical 3rd liner that sticks up for his teammates, that would be great.
Son of Ulf. Do you understand the level of trolling that would result from the habs drafting him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Samuelsson however has the tools be a true power forward and not just a bruiser.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Beendair Donedat

And you have a crystal ball that let's you know this how??
Wilson has the size and raw ability to be solid as well. I'd rather have an honest Wilson than a rodent Samuelsson.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:30 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
And you have a crystal ball that let's you know this how??
Wilson has the size and raw ability to be solid as well. I'd rather have an honest Wilson than a rodent Samuelsson.
LOL Because if hockey has taught us anything being "honest" is so important. Wilson is over-rated and will probably fall, he doesn't have Samuelssons ceiling.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:24 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I probably would take a chance on Wilson with the Nashville pick

Old
04-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
LOL Because if hockey has taught us anything being "honest" is so important. Wilson is over-rated and will probably fall, he doesn't have Samuelssons ceiling.
Except these playoff wars probably have some potential for re-igniting a bit of the heavy valuation some GMs will place on the truculence factors. So he might not drop as much as maybe he ought to. Even before this, there were Biggs or McIlrath picks and whatnot, I doubt there will be much downgrading of whatever elements of perceived size/toughness teams see out there.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:11 AM
theboss

Quote:
Lets draft both then

Old
04-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Incredible that the Wilson legend started at the prospects game which actually shouldn't mean nothing to the evaluation of prospects....Are people really actually aiming at 3rd and 4th liners with their 2nd round picks? I know the need of becoming tougher and all, but you surely can do that outside of the first 3 rounds....or 3rd round AT BEST if you want to depending of how strong the draft is.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Except these playoff wars probably have some potential for re-igniting a bit of the heavy valuation some GMs will place on the truculence factors. So he might not drop as much as maybe he ought to. Even before this, there were Biggs or McIlrath picks and whatnot, I doubt there will be much downgrading of whatever elements of perceived size/toughness teams see out there.
Let some other team take him. I can find a third liner who is tough for 1.5 million in UFA or in a much later round in the draft.

I can't get a guy with Samuelsson's or Bozon's potential to score goals in the later rounds (at least not without huge question marks or by getting lucky) and if they fulfill their potential, a top 6 scorer with size will be 3-4 x more expensive in Free Agency.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:23 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Incredible that the Wilson legend started at the prospects game which actually shouldn't mean nothing to the evaluation of prospects....Are people really actually aiming at 3rd and 4th liners with their 2nd round picks? I know the need of becoming tougher and all, but you surely can do that outside of the first 3 rounds....or 3rd round AT BEST if you want to depending of how strong the draft is.
Someone asked who was closer in terms of the usual far fetched comparisons to Chris Neil, then suddenly Wilson became 2nd or 3nd round material on the board.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:27 AM
hockeyjockey

Quote:

hey lupul, thought i should include your quote on the Leafs board on this topic. Find it humerous that you think our board wants Gally because the leafs are interested. When your team was still dreaming of round 1, we were already thinking of him as an option as a top 5 pick. the leafs were what, thinking in March?

Quote:
1) We are not getting Murray guys. There is a 0% chance that he gets passed the islanders, but even that would be a sizable drop off for him.

2) Many here think that yakupov, grigorenko, galchenyuk will go 1, 2, 3. IMO, there is no way that c-bus goes for grigorenko. If they retained their 1st overall, they would have picked yakupov, a russian. But grigorenko is a completely different story and fits the bill of the "c-bus failed russian prospect" much more closely than yakupov. C-bus will draft Murray if they keep their second.

3) I hope MTL takes Grigorenko. He just seems like a natural addition to their team. If there is a top 5 pick that drops though (a la couturier last year), I think it will be him though. He's not having an exceptional playoff run. Also, just for laughs, how many of you saw his interview with nhl.com? "Something about me? I'm a romantic guy." Haha wtf...

4) As a leafs fan, I want galchenyuk. Right about now, it's become this sort of stubborn desire. Although from what I've seen form Forsberg and others, they are great prospects too. But like many of you on here, theres something about galchenyuk that makes me wish we take him. I do not think that he will go top 3. I think many of us are actually overvaluing Galchenyuk just because we want him. Also, Habs fans also "want" him just because they know we want him (typical).

If the top 3 are as previously mentioned, I can personally see the Islanders taking a chance on Dumba at number 4, making him the surprise pick of the draft. That would leave Galchenyuk to us.

We shall see come June though
NIce troll buddy.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
le_sean

Lukas Sutter is a good option in the 2nd round too. I think Wilson goes in the 1st, some GM will love his truculence. Sutter might not be as imposing, but you know the kind of work ethic you get with that family. In a perfect world he will be available with Nashville's pick. The smartest thing to do with the 33rd pick is get a Nieves or Bozon, someone with underrated skill. The Habs lack pure offensive skillset in their system.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Similar style of play. It doesn't mean Galchenyuk will have a R.Francis career. I've seen Grigo in person in playoffs and I'd rather the Habs go with a gamer. I have a strong feeling Mr Timmins will also go with a gamer.
As much as I like Grigo, I must admit I am concerned with intensity and desire. the safe bet would be to consider Galchenyuk if he is available even if I prefer Grigo size, position and ability to set up his team-mates.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:10 AM
domdo345

Can we please stop comparisons guys? Every player is unique and has a unique set of skills. I know it's easier for people that did not see them and that's probably why media people give them but I remember a Grant Mcgegg(sp) interview and he was asked for comparisons of the players. He went ehhh....uhhhh...for a good 2 minutes and said he couldn't come up with an answer. When you watch them play you realize they are who they are and that's about it.

Closed Thread