HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

can anyone please explain the powerplay?

Old
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Yammer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
T
Newell Brown just doesn't have the creativity to run the offence or PP. He's a one trick pony.

What are ur guys thoughts?
My thought is that you can't lay this all on Newell Brown, whose book on offensive play drills shows that he understands and teaches a number of different entry systems.

What I am seeing is an extremely aggressive LA forecheck that has bottled up the pass from zone one the far red line. By stepping forward into the Canuck forwards' space, the forechecker has shortened the amount of time that the defender has to pass up the puck, and also shortened the amount of time that the forward has to receive the puck and make his entry. So the passes are being rushed and they are getting bobbled. This results in very few clean entries.

Moreover, I am also seeing an LA defense that is getting on pucks right away. Chip ins and dump ins are not working, it is just an almost automatic clear going through the middle in the air, and not to the walls.

Consequently the pp is not getting in with possession as much as it is used to, and it is also not able to keep pucks in the zone.

So, how to fix it? That's on coaching, so in that sense you are right that Newell Brown has to make the right adjustments. I don't know enough about hockey to know what the proper adjustment should be.

My guess is that we will see less passing and more carrying.

It has been shown so far in these two games that the Canucks are getting some offensive pressure off the rush. Breaking into the zone with numbers and speed, then getting to the front of the net, is pretty much the only way we are getting quality chances.

So, if that is true, we will be skating the puck up and drawing the forecheckers toward center ice. That will theoretically pull some of the defenders out of their zone and hopefully create a weakness that we can exploit. I think it may also be time to bust out more individual creativity -- look how the LA d were surprised by the Kesler toedrag. We have guys who can flat out dangle, and that may be something to use because the system that we have been using has obviously been read.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
None. I think that still qualifies me for an opinion on a message board, though.
You didn't give an opinion, you took a shot at a coach that has produced results on the PP in the NHL. The players have to take some heat, don't they?

Edler has had a miserable second half, and so has the PP, that's no coincidence. At least with Daniel and Henrik, we are able to set up. Without those guys to gain the line, we can't even get possession in their zone.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You didn't give an opinion, you took a shot at a coach that has produced results on the PP in the NHL. The players have to take some heat, don't they?

Edler has had a miserable second half, and so has the PP, that's no coincidence. At least with Daniel and Henrik, we are able to set up. Without those guys to gain the line, we can't even get possession in their zone.
Edler is misplaced as a thoroughbred Defenceman. He isn't, no matter how hard this fanbase, the coaches, the management, ownership and media wish him to be.

He is fantastic, a good defenceman, perhaps even a top pairing defender. But heaping this much responsibility on a guy we dug out of a third tier Swedish mens league probably isn't smart and probably won't get us where we need to be.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
What are everyone's thoughts on giving Gragnani a shot? He cant be worse than Edler on the PP right now

Kesler is Bestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Orca Smash

Today in practice they finally altered the powerplay and worked on the breakout, according to twitter there was no drop passes today.

You go 16-130 and it takes you this long to adjust and alter the powerplay, and work on a breakout teams were reading months ago.

This is why my faith in the coaching staff is shaky. That is something i might expect from the leafs organisation, but not our own. How do you not recognize until now we needed a new breakout.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
My thought is that you can't lay this all on Newell Brown, whose book on offensive play drills shows that he understands and teaches a number of different entry systems.

What I am seeing is an extremely aggressive LA forecheck that has bottled up the pass from zone one the far red line. By stepping forward into the Canuck forwards' space, the forechecker has shortened the amount of time that the defender has to pass up the puck, and also shortened the amount of time that the forward has to receive the puck and make his entry. So the passes are being rushed and they are getting bobbled. This results in very few clean entries.

Moreover, I am also seeing an LA defense that is getting on pucks right away. Chip ins and dump ins are not working, it is just an almost automatic clear going through the middle in the air, and not to the walls.

Consequently the pp is not getting in with possession as much as it is used to, and it is also not able to keep pucks in the zone.

So, how to fix it? That's on coaching, so in that sense you are right that Newell Brown has to make the right adjustments. I don't know enough about hockey to know what the proper adjustment should be.

My guess is that we will see less passing and more carrying.

It has been shown so far in these two games that the Canucks are getting some offensive pressure off the rush. Breaking into the zone with numbers and speed, then getting to the front of the net, is pretty much the only way we are getting quality chances.

So, if that is true, we will be skating the puck up and drawing the forecheckers toward center ice. That will theoretically pull some of the defenders out of their zone and hopefully create a weakness that we can exploit. I think it may also be time to bust out more individual creativity -- look how the LA d were surprised by the Kesler toedrag. We have guys who can flat out dangle, and that may be something to use because the system that we have been using has obviously been read.
You cant lay this all on newell brown like anything in hockey, but I dont know how people can defend him, he did not alter the drop pass breakout at all, nothing was changed, he just kept going to that same play over and over, when its not working, you need to try something new.

I do agree the players are not helping, but newell's failure to make any adjustments is a real eye opener.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Totes Magotes

vCash: 591
Honestly, if they can just take the shorthanded goals they give up on the powerplay away, forget about scoring, if they can just not give up a goal on the PP and have it immediately shift momentum to the other team, the Canucks will be fine.

Mind boggling that this is what it's come down to.

Almost wish the team could decline the penalty.

Totes Magotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:11 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Haven't seen the PP lines but if Palhssons on the PP I'd imagine it's because of his board work and hoping to counter the kings aggressive check.

Could be costly for the kings.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:01 AM
David71

wonder what is substituting the "drop pass". maybe edler or one of the forwards rushes up the ice. does a bottonhook like raymond does. everyone gets in position. pass pass shoot? or the eventually pass pass *takes forever* kings pker's pressure and bam retreat from own end.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote