HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Dude Philly and Pitt are absolutely on bodies of water... they're rivers, but they're bodies of water, and Philly's a shipping channel. Not sure what the point you're getting at is when speaking about water, just saying.
Because every major city through human history is typically near a large body of water. And places "in the middle nowhere" are far off shore.

Its normal human instinct to flock toward major bodies of water.

Edmonton, Columbus, St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville, Phoenix, Minnesota, Calgary, Colorado....players aren't in a rush to commit years of their lives to places like that if they have the option.

There's a reason the more appealing areas to play are on coasts, or bays.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:13 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Because every major city through human history is typically near a large body of water. And places "in the middle nowhere" are far off shore.

Edmonton, Columbus, St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville, Phoenix, Minnesota, Calgary, Colorado....players aren't in a rush to commit years of their lives to places like that if they have the option.

Until there's an earthquake, or tsunami! Then you want to be in Winnipeg!

Old
04-12-2012, 09:26 PM
aqsw
PM

Getting back on topic guys,
Why would you even think you need him? Your D now is outstanding (IMO) and the $$ could be used elsewhere(1 or 2 forward). Your D is close to or maybe already the best in the league and they are still very young.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Why would you even think you need him? Your D now is outstanding (IMO) and the $$ could be used elsewhere(1 or 2 forward). Your D is close to or maybe already the best in the league and they are still very young.
We need PMDs. Badly.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
aqsw
PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We need PMDs. Badly.
I can only stress the point that your D is still very young and already might be the best in the league. MDZ will only get better, McD is still one of the best on both ends.

****! Back to the game.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:19 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

any new news on this?

Old
04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

There's not going to be any news until June 1st at the earliest. Everything else to that point is speculation.

04-12-2012, 11:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I can only stress the point that your D is still very young and already might be the best in the league. MDZ will only get better, McD is still one of the best on both ends.

****! Back to the game.
Signing Schultz actually makes it easier to acquire a forward because we can then move a Staal of Girardi for a solid top 6 under contract (classic example being the oft discussed deal for Ryan). Whereas not signing him simply leaves you with approx. 1.5MM more to play with in free agency and that isn't going to result in any kind of difference making forward.

(Never mind the fact that the ONE thing our admittedly excellent defensive corps is missing is a RH PPQB.)

Old
04-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Zil

Quote:
We're weak on the right side. Girardi is the only sure thing on that side because nobody has any clue if Sauer will be able to recover from his concussion. Stu ****ing Bickel is playing on our third pairing right now. The left side is obviously a different story.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:14 AM
egelband

did schultz indicate before being drafted that he wouldn't sign with edmonton? just wondering...

Old
04-13-2012, 03:45 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What did Etem say about Edmonton? I can't imagine him berating the area because he plays juniors in a frigid ****hole.
Lol I meant Buffalo. I was making a joke.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:

Wait so you're saying an FA wont sign to a place that isnt near a major body of water compared to a place that IS near a major body of water?

That's an odd speculation in this day and age. I'd even say I'd rather be in SOME of those aforementioned cities based on geography alone than say.. Cleveland or Detroit.

Old
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Wait so you're saying an FA wont sign to a place that isnt near a major body of water compared to a place that IS near a major body of water?

That's an odd speculation in this day and age. I'd even say I'd rather be in SOME of those aforementioned cities based on geography alone than say.. Cleveland or Detroit.
The point is when someone says "in the middle of nowhere" they're never really referring to a place on a cost line.

I said it sounded odd, but I think there's some truth to it.

And I believe it has a small psychological/sub conscious effect on decisions people make on where they want to spend many years.

You don't really hear people say things like "boy I can't wait to move to Indiana/North or South Dakota/Ohio/Kansas...." places like that. They move to California, Carolinas, Florida, Oregon, Massachusetts...

If a player had a choice, all im saying is I believe he'd chose a place not in the middle of nowhere as people say.

Edmonton is not only in the middle of nowhere, but its super cold. And on top of that an awful team.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:35 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
The point is when someone says "in the middle of nowhere" they're never really referring to a place on a cost line.

I said it sounded odd, but I think there's some truth to it.

And I believe it has a small psychological/sub conscious effect on decisions people make on where they want to spend many years.

You don't really hear people say things like "boy I can't wait to move to Indiana/North or South Dakota/Ohio/Kansas...." places like that. They move to California, Carolinas, Florida, Oregon, Massachusetts...

If a player had a choice, all im saying is I believe he'd chose a place not in the middle of nowhere as people say.

Edmonton is not only in the middle of nowhere, but its super cold. And on top of that an awful team.
There is definitely something to it. That's why we have a much better shot at signing him than, say, Edmonton.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Rangers are interested in this player. Forget about what the fans feel. $$$? Schultz is subject to the entry level rules. $925,000 MAX. Another $500,000-$800,000 in performance bonuses. 2 year ELC. The Rangers scoured the NHL looking to add an offensive D. He's right handed and adds offense. He comes from Wisconsin and Mike Eaves. What's there not to like?

Old
04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
any new news on this?
Wisconsin's last day of finals is May 19. Schultz has to notify the school he will not be returning his senior year by June 1. The Ducks have his rights until June 1.

Old
04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

****! Back to the game.
I would like for Winnipeg to do well. That being said--you can never have enough good (young) defensemen. It's just a truism. And if Schultz can help get us to where we want to be then you try to get him on your team.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Ryan McDonagh told Slap Shots he spoke a couple of weeks ago to one-time Wisconsin teammate Justin Schultz, the junior defenseman selected 43rd overall by the Ducks in 2008 who can become an unrestricted free agent this summer if he so chooses.

ďBut he was smart enough not to tip his hand to me,Ē said McDonagh, who raved about the 21-year-oldís skating ability and skill, likening Schultz to Torontoís Jake Gardiner.

Schultz cannot be signed until July 1, but he can become a free agent and start the negotiating process by mid-June ó itís the Blake Wheeler model ó after giving notice to Anaheim.

There has been some speculation the defenseman might opt to return to the Badgers for his senior season because of the possibility of a lockout that would necessarily mean a start to his pro career in the AHL, but itís expected he will indeed hit the open market after deciding not to sign with the Ducks last month, when doing so would have burned the first year of his Entry Level Contract.

The Rangers will be among the interested parties, but then so will essentially every big-time team in the league.

Itís an oddity of the current CBA that drafted college players have the right to free agency if they so choose, but drafted juniors or Europeans are thrown back into the lottery if they spurn contract offers, and itís one, no doubt, the NHL will seek to eliminate in the next agreement.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1s6ZicKf8

Old
04-15-2012, 07:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The August 15 graduating class clause needs to be changed in addition to the Wheeler clause of a player dropping out school after the 4th June he was drafted. Player agent and former player Jason Woolley was on twitter discussing this topic. He must know something

Quote:
NHLPA has to fight hard for College Hockey Players.Teams have 4 yrs. to figure it out. They shouldn't be able 2 hold the players ransom.
Quote:
Drafted players who are not signed at the end of there College career are property of that NHL team until Aug 15th. Better off a free agent!
https://twitter.com/#!/Theplayersgroup

That's the problem. Free agent. I'm sure the PA will go to the mat to protect college hockey players. That's the most important issue facing the NHL and NHLPA. It is for Woolley who represents those players.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 04-15-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
04-15-2012, 08:34 AM
egelband

the next cba will have to kill this rule. it's a bit screwy that a player can become a free agent so early. no? anaheim is really getting screwed. i would certainly welcome him as a ranger, but, i also feel for anaheim. they should be able to at least match an offer, somehow.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
By signing a guy like him you build excellent depth that you could use to trade for a 1st liner. That's smart business by being involved in everything

Now looking at depth we got:

1- Staal
2- Girardi
3- McDonagh
4- del Zotto
5- sauer
6- Erixon
7- Mclarith

That's are top depth right now

Where Shultz fit in around?

And everyone is saying he is McDonagh-esque which will always be welcomed

Old
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
NYR Viper

Adding Schultz would be like adding Erixon for free. Yes, he is that good.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Adding Schultz would be like adding Erixon for free. Yes, he is that good.
We didn't get Erixon for free? Lolol

Old
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
By signing a guy like him you build excellent depth that you could use to trade for a 1st liner. That's smart business by being involved in everything

Now looking at depth we got:

1- Staal
2- Girardi
3- McDonagh
4- del Zotto
5- sauer
6- Erixon
7- Mclarith

That's are top depth right now

Where Shultz fit in around?

And everyone is saying he is McDonagh-esque which will always be welcomed
Maybe Slat will use them as a trading chip LOL.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The August 15 graduating class clause needs to be changed in addition to the Wheeler clause of a player dropping out school after the 4th June he was drafted. Player agent and former player Jason Woolley was on twitter discussing this topic. He must know something

https://twitter.com/#!/Theplayersgroup

That's the problem. Free agent. I'm sure the PA will go to the mat to protect college hockey players. That's the most important issue facing the NHL and NHLPA. It is for Woolley who represents those players.
If the NHLPA forces a change in how college players are handled, making it so NHL teams don't hold their rights while they're still in college, then you're going to see a massive swing away from drafting college players and that would hurt the players more than help.

No one would want to spend a high draft pick on a kid that's going to college and might want to stay 3 or 4 years and loses their ability to keep playing college hockey if they sign a pro contract, but teams will be forced to sign them after 2 years.

Closed Thread