HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

My skates still leave blisters. Advice needed.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:51 PM
achtungbaby

vCash: 500
My skates still leave blisters. Advice needed.

No matter what I try, if I skate more than an hour I wind up with two blisters on the inside of both feet right on the ankles. These skates are now 2 years old and I've used them at least 100 times. I'd hate to have to buy new skates but have never had this happen before.

Does anyone have any good tips that I haven't heard of or thought of yet? Thank-you in advance.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:25 PM
AIREAYE

Ankle as in ankle bones?

1) wear thinner socks
2) rebake your skates
3) punch out the problem area

if all else fails, it could be that the skates just don't fit you.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Stickmata

Duct tape. I had blister problems when I played roller that I couldn't solve with different socks. A buddy turned me on to using duct tape on my feet and I never had a blister again. I would run one piece under my heel up the back and then put a square over each of my ankle bones. Sounds weird, but it worked great.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'm guessing you've been wearing the wrong size or wrong shape of boot for your foot. Get new skates, and get yourself properly fitted this time.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I'm guessing you've been wearing the wrong size or wrong shape of boot for your foot. Get new skates, and get yourself properly fitted this time.
seconded.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:47 AM
SydNap

1. Go get a good pair of Graf's from a store that has visited their headquarters and are trained.
2. Get fitted / Heat molded
3. Wear 5-10 times out, then go back and have skates "punched out" where ever you have "hot spots"

Enjoy most comfortable skates ever...

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:45 PM
biturbo19

socks.

better socks.

and tighter skates. you foot is probably moving a lot within the boot to cause a blister. stop that.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:17 PM
dpixel8

could be from wrong size all the way to cheap skates. Buy once, cry once.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Try out for the Vancouver Canucks or Pittsburgh Penguins. Your whining would fit right in.

=-)

Seriously though, take them to a place that can bump your hotspots. Skates are made to fit the median foot of the entire society of the world. heat fitting is always a good thing, but if that doesn't do it, a figure skate shop would be able to bump out the hot spots. For now, cover your blisters with a good bandaid type covering.

scotiahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:31 PM
forbs02
Blergh

I highly recommend these. Just place the pads on your skates where you are getting the hot spots and they should take care of the issue. Just make sure you are putting band-aid/tape on the blisters while skating until they are fully healed.

http://www.goengo.com/default.aspx

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Live1evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
socks.

better socks.

and tighter skates. you foot is probably moving a lot within the boot to cause a blister. stop that.
I agree with the tighter skates part. Foot movement inside the boot will lead to blisters.

If this is the problem, "better" socks is only a stop gap for this as the rubbing will still eventually cause a blister. Either tie your skates tighter or get better fitting skates.

Moleskin is another temporary fix for the problem too. You can cut it out to the shape of the blister and have padding around, leading to less rubbing.

Live1evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For skates, I always heard blisters were due to rubbing, and that's usually caused by movement inside the boot, which is usually caused by skates that are too big in that area.

My guess is, since it's a recent problem and your skates are two years old, they are just starting to break down. Adding some material in the ankles might help. I've seen a guy use padded sleeves or socks before. Might be Bunga pads, might be something else. There was another product mentioned recently, sorry I can't remember what it's called.

Otherwise new skates potentially with a little narrower heel/ankle area might be the last resort.

/deferring to AIR who's the expert in such things.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote