HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Roster Changes/Call-up Ideas For Game 3

Old
04-14-2012, 03:38 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Neal hasn't scored, but he's been punishing guys on the forecheck. People aren't mentioning it b/c that line hasn't created a whole lot of pressure with the matchup Laviolette has on them.

I'll say this. Our vet role players have to outplay Philly's rookies in our end. Commitment to team D in our end.

This team has to accept we can't outscore them in a run and gun game. Sooner they accept that, the better.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Genetic

im usually not the one to be sooooooo optimistic but i truly believe we can win both games in philly to tie it up. it wont be easy but i think we have a good chance at it.

paul martin on the other hand, i dont think he has a chance of making the mens C league at my local rink.

Genetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
im usually not the one to be sooooooo optimistic but i truly believe we can win both games in philly to tie it up. it wont be easy but i think we have a good chance at it.

paul martin on the other hand, i dont think he has a chance of making the mens C league at my local rink.
I'm dumbfounded by Martin. I thought he and Michalek last year were stellar. We played awesome defense the entire year, just had no scoring.

This team is blowing the prime years of their stars. It's time to bring up Dupres, let him get some prime time playoff experience.

We've got realistically about a 20% chance of winning the series. At least get him some experience on the big stage.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Terrapin

Looks like Nisky practiced today. Hopefully he can go tomorrow. If he's fully healthy, put him with Engo or Orpik as your 2nd line. If he's not 100%, put him on the bottom pairing with Martin and play them 5 minutes.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Jag68Sid87

AN injured defenseman is the last thing this blueline needs. If Niskanen isn't 100 per cent, why bother? He's not Nick Lidstrom. He's our No. 5.

Strait is healthy. Despres is still in the A for some mind-boggling reason.

It's completely hopeless if management and the coaches aren't using the EYEBALL test to make decisions along the blueline.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:41 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Someone tell me what that "Breaking News" thread said. I'm guessing it was a troll thread, but still.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Someone tell me what that "Breaking News" thread said. I'm guessing it was a troll thread, but still.
Some idiot posted something about the Pens plane landed, someone sneezed, Letang through his head back, etc. Typical Flyer loser. Oh well, I'd probably be the same way if my team hasn't won a championship since Gerald Ford was in office.

Old
04-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
AN injured defenseman is the last thing this blueline needs. If Niskanen isn't 100 per cent, why bother? He's not Nick Lidstrom. He's our No. 5.

Strait is healthy. Despres is still in the A for some mind-boggling reason.

It's completely hopeless if management and the coaches aren't using the EYEBALL test to make decisions along the blueline.
I'd rather see a scarecrow placed out there than Lovejoy again.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I'd rather see a scarecrow placed out there than Lovejoy again.

Letang-Michalek
Orpik-Cutout Orpik
Martin-Engelland

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:15 PM
PGHSports

Watching Lovejoy still baffles me how he played over Engelland in the Tampa series last year.

PGHSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
As far as I'm concerned, that makes him a +1 on Orpik. Flame away . . .
I agree with KIRK. Orpik has been nearly as bad as Lovejoy, and I didn't know that was possible. He was running around everywhere but to his coverage last night. It was crazy.

As far as I'm concerned you go with Strait instead of Lovejoy and either Niskanen or Despres instead of Orpik.

Tangradi instead of Adams is cool, too, I guess. Doesn't really matter what we do on the offensive side. If we don't bench Martin or Orpik, the defense is going to keep floundering. Enough is enough.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post

Letang-Michalek
Orpik-Cutout Orpik
Martin-Engelland
Can we get a cutout of Ulf to put out there? Orpik sucks

Old
04-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Great idea.
Yeesh, surprised he's not throwing in Malkin to the bench list as well.

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:20 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I avoided this thread because I knew it would be just one big Tangradi circle jerk. And, as usual, I was correct. I get a lot of people here are madly in love with the guy, but guess what, he's had as many goals this year as Steve Macintyre, and 1 less than Carl ****ing Sneep. Jeffrey hasn't even seen the ice in 2 months. You could make a case for Park over Adams or Asham, but that's it. With 8 goals in 2 games, offense isn't a problem anyway.

Personally I think they should call up Despres and dress 7 D. They all suck, but at least that'll limit ice time for clowns like Martin and Lovejoy. Double shift Sid and Geno on the 4th all game: Vitale-Sid/Geno-Asham/Park.

Defense:
Letang-Engelland
Orpik-Michalek
Martin-Despres/Lovejoy
The last thing we need is another high risk D-man in the line up. Despres is to high risk at this point.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post

Letang-Michalek
Orpik-Cutout Orpik
Martin-Engelland
Cutout Orpik would probably stay in position more often than real Orpik. Real Orpik seems to want to throw hits out in the neutral zone, even when the play is already inside our own zone.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
The last thing we need is another high risk D-man in the line up. Despres is to high risk at this point.
So replace a high risk with a high risk.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSports View Post
Watching Lovejoy still baffles me how he played over Engelland in the Tampa series last year.
Bylsmagic

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So replace a high risk with a high risk.
A high risk but higher reward with Despres, IMO.

If Nisky dresses, then I'd go with seven defensemen just in case. As I noted in another thread, it has the added benefit of making it harder for Philly to match. Also, with eleven forwards, it's harder to predict/match there too.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
If Nisky dresses, then I'd go with seven defensemen just in case.
I'd be cool with 7 defense. Orpik could sit and we could swap Nisky & Despres depending on who is sharper.

Of course that will never happen, but I can dream.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:02 AM
bigd

Quote:
A high risk but higher reward with Despres, IMO.

If Nisky dresses, then I'd go with seven defensemen just in case. As I noted in another thread, it has the added benefit of making it harder for Philly to match. Also, with eleven forwards, it's harder to predict/match there too.
Ya, maybe we score two more goals and lose 8-7 instead of 8-5.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:32 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Despres can be high risk, but at least he brings some reward along with that risk. He's our 2nd best "offensive" defenseman with Niskanen out, and we have to STOP using 4 forwards out there on every power play; especially on the 2nd unit.

I also think his size, physical game, and youthful enthusiasm could come in handy; and I'm also a big believer that if we want guys like Despres, Tangradi & Jeffrey to be big parts of our team next year, giving them some experience in the playoffs would be helpful.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Despres can be high risk, but at least he brings some reward along with that risk. He's our 2nd best "offensive" defenseman with Niskanen out, and we have to STOP using 4 forwards out there on every power play; especially on the 2nd unit.

I also think his size, physical game, and youthful enthusiasm could come in handy; and I'm also a big believer that if we want guys like Despres, Tangradi & Jeffrey to be big parts of our team next year, giving them some experience in the playoffs would be helpful.
This is why I brought up the 7 D-man in the first place. There's no need to tax the 6 regulars and helps keep them fresh. Rolling one of the 4 players I mentioned will definitely throw Peter off on whatever matchups he trys to instill. Double shifting them on the fourth line is gonna tax their lines.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote