HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Rift: Why haven't mored people tried this WoW alternative?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
  #26
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,783
vCash: 600
I played it a lot. 2 max characters. Lots of gear, finished most of the raids.

It was meh.

When every character can be everything with a switch of a button, it loses a bit of the luster.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:45 PM
  #27
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
I'm just curious from everyone's complaints, when was the last time you played it? Most MMOs are going to have flaws coming out of the gate and a lot of them get fixed over time. I'm not saying all your complaints have, but a lot of them (like the lack of end-game content) have been.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:50 PM
  #28
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
I played a ton of Rift for a fairly short period of time in Spring 2011. The graphics are good, and the new mechanic of Rifts was intriguing. The spontaneous Raiding to close major rifts was awesome... no waiting in lobbies for hours and not even really needing guilds.

I enjoyed having multiple builds, but having no class constraints is sort of... I don't know. Cheating almost. Had a lot of fun as a Chloromancer. My first real healer character.

Yet there are downsides. It's incredibly derivative. The story is cookie cutter fantasy drivel, and there is absolutely no point to reading the quest logs. Main quest, side quest... who cares? The factions, the story, the lore are all absolutely awful. If story is at all important to you, Rift is highly disappointing. The leveling experience in SWTOR is far better because of story. They have heavily modified the game since launch, but overcoming that shortcoming was never going to be easy. Rift is probably a far better endgame MMO than SWTOR, but the latter kills the former on story and characters and universe.

The Rift mechanic that was so much fun at launch can be a burden when the player population dips to low levels. It makes sense but seemed to catch developers off guard when it happened. It became a nearly universe-crippling occurrence. Merging servers helps.

Good game, which I'd recommend gamers try, but personally I lost interest after a lot less time than I played WoW, or LOTRO or am still playing SWTOR. About the same amount that I played EVE Online.

Have pre-ordered Secret World and have high hopes for that game.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:56 PM
  #29
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'm just curious from everyone's complaints, when was the last time you played it? Most MMOs are going to have flaws coming out of the gate and a lot of them get fixed over time. I'm not saying all your complaints have, but a lot of them (like the lack of end-game content) have been.
I canceled my sub 2 months after launch.

I came into it from EQ2, more to play with buddies than anything, and everything I disliked about it from BETA stuck out like a sore thumb, I just ended up not being arsed with it.

Again, most people's first MMO nowadays was WoW.

And unless you've played old-school MMOs like EQ (even EQ2 at launch), you can't appreciate how much more fun, challenging and rewarding a contested world is, with significant quests and epic rewards.
However, the "old-school" took time and effort to succeed at doing high-end stuff.
You could still have fun and play as a complete casual, of course.

These days? People just feel entitled to everything simply because they've bought the game.

(yes, old-school MMOs had grinding and camping, but all enveloped into quests and events when done right, you ended up not minding it that much)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
  #30
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,846
vCash: 500
Are there any MMOs designed to this exacting standard anymore? EVE may be the only one out there.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:22 PM
  #31
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I canceled my sub 2 months after launch.

I came into it from EQ2, more to play with buddies than anything, and everything I disliked about it from BETA stuck out like a sore thumb, I just ended up not being arsed with it.

Again, most people's first MMO nowadays was WoW.

And unless you've played old-school MMOs like EQ (even EQ2 at launch), you can't appreciate how much more fun, challenging and rewarding a contested world is, with significant quests and epic rewards.
However, the "old-school" took time and effort to succeed at doing high-end stuff.
You could still have fun and play as a complete casual, of course.

These days? People just feel entitled to everything simply because they've bought the game.

(yes, old-school MMOs had grinding and camping, but all enveloped into quests and events when done right, you ended up not minding it that much)
based on what exactly? wow is the only one that does free loot in a sense. don't label everyone as this either.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:58 PM
  #32
Grave77digger
Registered User
 
Grave77digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Im from the hardcore EQ days and played at launch. Nothing will ever match that nostalgia feeling. Rift was OK but it dodnt hold my attention long. I also liked EVE.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
  #33
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
Rift was alright but nothing about it kept me wanting more or coming back.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:24 AM
  #34
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
based on what exactly? wow is the only one that does free loot in a sense. don't label everyone as this either.
I don't think I am.

No MMO these days has complicated quests that require you work weeks for a goal that matters.
No MMO these days just dumps you in there and lets you discover the world for yourself. Everything is on rails, you're hand-held from the start, and basically everyone can be pimped out in purples in a very short period.

The MMORPGs at their conception weren't even about that, but about exploring, experiencing danger and accomplishment, immersing yourself in that world, etc., the gear and stuff were rewarding, yes, but were also means to an end, and a bonus to your gaming experience.

(again, I don't expect anyone who hasn't played one of those games to understand. The sense of danger in a contested dungeon were you are after an update deep in, and you get adds and you're fighting for your life, knowing that if you fail mobs respawn, you leave your shard behind and there's a possibility of another player group killing your mob... is so much beyond the instance grinding these days it's not even funny.
I also realized that none of these game (WoW, Rift, etc.) will have what I seek in an MMO.
Conan had potential and Vanguard was awesome, but both had awful releases and are basically zombie games these days).

All that said, the MMO I'm talking about was a niche game, with 300-500k people playing it, nowhere near the subs that WoW made and subsequently all new MMOs turned to their way of making games...
And sadly, unless someone is ready to take chances, I don't think we'll see a Western MMO like that again (though ArcheAge might be worth looking into).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
  #35
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 500
yah I know what you mean but that was 8+ years ago. times have changed. most people don't want that. I sure don't. I'm not going to grind and hunt for weeks for something.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
  #36
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I don't think I am.

No MMO these days has complicated quests that require you work weeks for a goal that matters.
No MMO these days just dumps you in there and lets you discover the world for yourself. Everything is on rails, you're hand-held from the start, and basically everyone can be pimped out in purples in a very short period.

The MMORPGs at their conception weren't even about that, but about exploring, experiencing danger and accomplishment, immersing yourself in that world, etc., the gear and stuff were rewarding, yes, but were also means to an end, and a bonus to your gaming experience.

(again, I don't expect anyone who hasn't played one of those games to understand. The sense of danger in a contested dungeon were you are after an update deep in, and you get adds and you're fighting for your life, knowing that if you fail mobs respawn, you leave your shard behind and there's a possibility of another player group killing your mob... is so much beyond the instance grinding these days it's not even funny.
I also realized that none of these game (WoW, Rift, etc.) will have what I seek in an MMO.
Conan had potential and Vanguard was awesome, but both had awful releases and are basically zombie games these days).

All that said, the MMO I'm talking about was a niche game, with 300-500k people playing it, nowhere near the subs that WoW made and subsequently all new MMOs turned to their way of making games...
And sadly, unless someone is ready to take chances, I don't think we'll see a Western MMO like that again (though ArcheAge might be worth looking into).
I remember EQ. No, losing your **** all the time was not fun.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:49 PM
  #37
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I remember EQ. No, losing your **** all the time was not fun.
1. Stop being so bad that you're losing it all the time.
2. Attempting to get your gear back was half the fun.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
  #38
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,822
vCash: 500
downloading the update now.. i'll play tonight for a bit if anyone wants to play I don't really remember how to play tho! hahahaha

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 04:53 PM
  #39
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Free to play? Sounds like it be worth trying, apparently there's a 7-day trial, I'll give it a try. If I played for 2 hours for all of those 7 days and still held interest it'd all ready be close to WoW for me.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
  #40
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I don't think I am.

No MMO these days has complicated quests that require you work weeks for a goal that matters.
No MMO these days just dumps you in there and lets you discover the world for yourself. Everything is on rails, you're hand-held from the start, and basically everyone can be pimped out in purples in a very short period.

The MMORPGs at their conception weren't even about that, but about exploring, experiencing danger and accomplishment, immersing yourself in that world, etc., the gear and stuff were rewarding, yes, but were also means to an end, and a bonus to your gaming experience.

(again, I don't expect anyone who hasn't played one of those games to understand. The sense of danger in a contested dungeon were you are after an update deep in, and you get adds and you're fighting for your life, knowing that if you fail mobs respawn, you leave your shard behind and there's a possibility of another player group killing your mob... is so much beyond the instance grinding these days it's not even funny.
I also realized that none of these game (WoW, Rift, etc.) will have what I seek in an MMO.
Conan had potential and Vanguard was awesome, but both had awful releases and are basically zombie games these days).

All that said, the MMO I'm talking about was a niche game, with 300-500k people playing it, nowhere near the subs that WoW made and subsequently all new MMOs turned to their way of making games...
And sadly, unless someone is ready to take chances, I don't think we'll see a Western MMO like that again (though ArcheAge might be worth looking into).
You just proved yourself that people don't want that. What people want is what games like WoW and Rift provide (two very similar games, albeit with some major differences). Also, fans are entitled to whatever the devs are willing to provide them as, yes, they bought the game. If you've ever worked in retail you would know that the customer always get what they want because the customers are what mattered. So, yes, they are entitled to "everything" just because they bought the game. Without customers the game doesn't matter.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:34 PM
  #41
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
downloading the update now.. i'll play tonight for a bit if anyone wants to play I don't really remember how to play tho! hahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
Free to play? Sounds like it be worth trying, apparently there's a 7-day trial, I'll give it a try. If I played for 2 hours for all of those 7 days and still held interest it'd all ready be close to WoW for me.
Tell me what you guys think. I'm curious. As CookeyMonster said, there's a free trial (albeit not long enough to get into the end-game content and the real best parts of the game) so I don't see why anyone wouldn't try it at least. I'm fine with people not liking it, but to not give it a chance or call it a WoW clone or say it's complete trash? Rubbish.

Also, if you're both deciding to go Defiants or Guardians, Defiants have the better beginner zone (the zone you're in for the first ten or so levels, basically a tutorial zone), but I think the Guardians have a better city (though neither are all that good) and a better two starting zones I think (the ones after the beginner zone).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  #42
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
Im from the hardcore EQ days and played at launch. Nothing will ever match that nostalgia feeling. Rift was OK but it dodnt hold my attention long. I also liked EVE.
Tell me about it man. I miss those days so damn much. My heart's still with it.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:36 AM
  #43
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Tell me what you guys think. I'm curious. As CookeyMonster said, there's a free trial (albeit not long enough to get into the end-game content and the real best parts of the game) so I don't see why anyone wouldn't try it at least. I'm fine with people not liking it, but to not give it a chance or call it a WoW clone or say it's complete trash? Rubbish.

Also, if you're both deciding to go Defiants or Guardians, Defiants have the better beginner zone (the zone you're in for the first ten or so levels, basically a tutorial zone), but I think the Guardians have a better city (though neither are all that good) and a better two starting zones I think (the ones after the beginner zone).
I already have a character. I actually bought the special edition and I have a mount and companion.

I just stopped playing because I'm not a huge MMO guy. This is the best one I've played, but I don't know a lot of people who play it (or this style of games really) so I can't enjoy them as much. Playing this type of game alone is borrrrrrrrrring.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:00 AM
  #44
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,783
vCash: 600
Here's my issues.

One. PVP is mediocre. Not much world PVP. PVP rifts offered some, but they were so laggy at times, and others weren't offering much reward. Not much naturally developing competition while leveling. I remember the fun I had in WoW leveling up in STV or in the Mountains or other zones where I was 20-35 and would constantly run into other faction members. We would gear up, maybe call for a higher level, and the spontaneous development of it was great. I leveled 2 characters to max, 2 to the high 30s, and a few 20s. I played on a pretty popular server, and was on one of the full ones at start. I leveled at quite a few times of day, and I never really saw people in some of the regions until I was 45-50. Even then, it was one or two, and they were away. When I hit 50, I saw zergs, but only around the Rifts and after loot.

Two, Warzones are derivative and weak. Throw in the PVP armor stat and it's a hassle with minimal reward.

Three, and probably most, there was really no reason to play more than one character. you've got 3-4 different build options with each, and if you're a cleric/rogue class you can play a healer, tank, or dps without ever having to change or level again. the flexibility was fun while leveling (and it allows you to get pug groups) but at end game, it made things dull to the point of where I never had to try and fit my character or work something out. I would just switch roles.

Four, like has been said, the story is derivative and very bland.

Five, end game raids are of marginal difficulty (the main trouble is more just bosses freaking out at times).

Six, crafting is complete waste. There are maybe 10 patterns of any major worth and a large number of people have them. Don't even get me started on the whole crafting rifts ridiculousness.

Seven, the main factor that was "unique" or central to the game were basically worthless other than getting a few essences and some marginal gear.

Throw this all in with a completely unbalanced number side and a dying population and it's a valiant attempt but a marginal result.

Wow with new paint and half the options doesn't cut it.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
  #45
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
I have to bump this topic as, after giving WoW a second shot as well as SWTOR, I'm still mystified by how this game isn't more popular. WoW feels so...outdated compared to Rift and SWTOR just feels like a huge letdown. The graphics are far superior to both games, the class system is far superior, the PVP (at least last I played SWTOR) is superior to SWTOR and around on par with WoW I'd say (WoW might be better, I don't know). The whole Rift and invasion mechanic is completely unique to Rift, the game is constantly getting new raids added to it, and the game has the best developer support I've ever seen as they seem to be constantly updating it despite it's lack of success compared to WoW. They've also been very upfront about their goals for the game and their developments.

I know Rift was very popular at it's inception, but what I think has happened since then is that a lot of those people went back to WoW and since then haven't given Rift another shot despite all the changes that have occurred. Which is a shame I think.

I haven't played GW2 yet (although I do have access to the beta) and I'm wondering how those of you think it stacks up (without falling into the hype-fest that also occurred for SWTOR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I already have a character. I actually bought the special edition and I have a mount and companion.

I just stopped playing because I'm not a huge MMO guy. This is the best one I've played, but I don't know a lot of people who play it (or this style of games really) so I can't enjoy them as much. Playing this type of game alone is borrrrrrrrrring.
I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'm not a huge MMORPG guy as I never got into the WoW hype, but Rift is the only MMORPG that's managed to hold my attention. That's partly because I don't like WoW, partly because I think Rift is genuinely good, and partly because there's not many MMORPGs out there with healthy enough player-bases to compete with WoW.

It is much funner playing with friends. Sadly, the only way to make friends or at least get good groups going is to join a good guild (which can be hard to find).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Here's my issues.

One. PVP is mediocre. Not much world PVP. PVP rifts offered some, but they were so laggy at times, and others weren't offering much reward. Not much naturally developing competition while leveling. I remember the fun I had in WoW leveling up in STV or in the Mountains or other zones where I was 20-35 and would constantly run into other faction members. We would gear up, maybe call for a higher level, and the spontaneous development of it was great. I leveled 2 characters to max, 2 to the high 30s, and a few 20s. I played on a pretty popular server, and was on one of the full ones at start. I leveled at quite a few times of day, and I never really saw people in some of the regions until I was 45-50. Even then, it was one or two, and they were away. When I hit 50, I saw zergs, but only around the Rifts and after loot.

Two, Warzones are derivative and weak. Throw in the PVP armor stat and it's a hassle with minimal reward.

Three, and probably most, there was really no reason to play more than one character. you've got 3-4 different build options with each, and if you're a cleric/rogue class you can play a healer, tank, or dps without ever having to change or level again. the flexibility was fun while leveling (and it allows you to get pug groups) but at end game, it made things dull to the point of where I never had to try and fit my character or work something out. I would just switch roles.

Four, like has been said, the story is derivative and very bland.

Five, end game raids are of marginal difficulty (the main trouble is more just bosses freaking out at times).

Six, crafting is complete waste. There are maybe 10 patterns of any major worth and a large number of people have them. Don't even get me started on the whole crafting rifts ridiculousness.

Seven, the main factor that was "unique" or central to the game were basically worthless other than getting a few essences and some marginal gear.

Throw this all in with a completely unbalanced number side and a dying population and it's a valiant attempt but a marginal result.

Wow with new paint and half the options doesn't cut it.
As with anyone who has these types of complaints about Rift, I have to ask when the last time you played it was. Because it's currently past version 1.8 and has undergone a lot of changes since it's inception.

1. If you're looking for PVP while you're leveling you're probably better off on a PVP server (which I'm not sure if you were, you didn't specify). Part of you not seeing many people of the enemy faction while leveling is that the zones are practically split up into Guardian and Defiant sides so it's unlikely you'll ever run into an enemy faction while questing and also due to the fact that Rift, unfortunately, has a much smaller player-base then WoW (although Rift has several very healthy population servers). If nobody plays Rift because they don't think the player-base is healthy enough then isn't that kind of circular logic? I mean, the only way to solve that problem is to play the game to add to it's player-base.

2. I don't really agree with this. I don't see how it's any more derivative or weak then, say, Arenas or Battlegrounds. There's around six different Warfronts IIRC and they're all very different from each other. If one doesn't fit your style of play then chances or one of the other five or so will. Different strokes for different folks I guess though, unless you haven't played the game for a long time. I heard Warfronts were pretty weak during the early stages of the game (which I wasn't around for).

3. I don't understand the complaint here at all to be honest. I don't see any downside to having multiple specs available to you. It allows for great freedom and flexibility and makes forming groups much easier. It also allows people to explore their classes to the fullest and, at the same time, allows you to discover what you're comfortable with playing. I don't even see why you would want to make a lot of alts as Trion themselves, as well as the community, have noted that Rift is a fast-leveling game for the purpose of getting to the plethora of end-game content. I mean, the game is based around end-game content so why would you want to build a lot of alts? Only reason(s) I can think of is if you want to try out the other faction or if you want to roll another archetype (which, in the latter case, your complaint doesn't even apply as each archetype has completely different classes).

4. I'm not into the lore and I skip all the dialogue so no comment. From what I've heard and the little I observed though I've gotten the opposite message. I would certainly agree that WoW has better lore though. However, WoW also has several precursor games attached to it and thus an already built-upon world to build lore around. So Rift is at a bit of an unfair advantage there.

5. Once again, this really depends on when you played. At the early stages of the game there weren't many raids and they were of a very high difficulty from what I've heard. I've only leveled one toon to 50 thus far, but I've played enough to certainly disagree and say that some of the raids and slivers are very hard. There's a lot of them too so you can't paint all of them with a broad brush. Hammerknell is very difficult as are some of the Raid rifts end bosses. Some of them are easier, but that's to get better gear for the more difficult raids. You certainly have to have a group that knows what it's doing though to beat all the raids.

6. I just got into crafting with my new toon so I can't really comment. However, this also entirely depends on when you played. The game is radically different from it's inception and with the latest update they added two new skills (fishing and survival). I've never tried a crafting rift so I can't comment on that.

7. The regular rifts are only worth that, I'd agree. However invasions and zone events are worth Sourcestones and other such currency that can be used to buy very useful stuff. Same goes for Planarite and Essences (the latter of which can be broken down into crafting mats). Raid rifts are end-game content that certainly give valuable rewards (usually good gear).

I wouldn't agree about calling it WoW with new paint and a dying player-base. The player-base is healthy enough to sustain itself apparently since it's still pay to play and by calling it "WoW with new paint" you're essentially calling it a WoW clone which is ridiculous. It has a lot of differences from WoW and WoW itself is a clone of Everquest. In fact, every MMORPG is a clone of each other as they all share core concepts. Same could be said of FPS games like Halo and Call of Duty.


Last edited by Garbage Goal: 05-03-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
  #46
Gustav Nyquist
*
 
Gustav Nyquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,442
vCash: 500
The Rift invasion thing is definitely not unique to Rift, maybe the name, but not the mechanic. The graphics are nice, but all the models (Playable and NPC) are horrid. And the PvP was very bland.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:34 PM
  #47
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
For anyone interested, a supposedly major change in the game, specifically PVP content, is coming tomorrow to test shards. It's called Conquest. All we know as of now is that you choose one of three PVP-specific factions and fight in a mode called "Conquest" that's some form of open world combat. Apparently crafters can contribute somehow too so you don't even need to be a fighter to get involved. It isn't officially in the game yet though as it's only coming to test shards tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
The Rift invasion thing is definitely not unique to Rift, maybe the name, but not the mechanic. The graphics are nice, but all the models (Playable and NPC) are horrid. And the PvP was very bland.
I meant that invasions were unique in comparison to WoW and that rifts, specifically, are unique to Rift. I don't see what's bad with the models, although I do think the gear could look a lot better.

As for PVP, again, when was the last time you played? This game has the best dev support I've ever seen for any game with hotfixes coming in all the time and major updates coming in with frequency. Open world PVP and Conquest are about to be introduced to the game as I mentioned before. Combine that with warfronts and PVP rifts and I don't see what's so bad about it.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
  #48
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
There's an expansion coming called "Storm Legion". So to those that contend that it's a dying game or that it isn't constantly being added with new content I present to you this expansion and the upcoming Conquest mode.

-Two new continents supposedly triple the size of the current world. So those that complained about too few cities/regions...yeah. New city called Tempest Bay btw.

-Level cap is increased by 10 and there's four more "souls" or what are basically sub-classes.

-7 new dungeons, 3 new raids, and a new chronicle.

-There's some vague info about a Colussus creature that "ravages" and "interacts" with the world. Curious as to what this is about.

-Apparently there's customizable spaces where you can own slivers of Telara. Also curious about this as the info is a bit vague at this point.

-Something called Grandmaster crafting.

-Capes. Don't know if they're purely aesthetic or give stat boosts.

-Plus all the standard fare like new puzzles, achievements, pets, artifacts, mounts, etc.

So, does this strike anyone's interest or no? I still contend that this is the best supported game out there as far as dev support goes.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.