HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
I'd like to nominate Rolling Rock in the worst category. A friend was raving about it so I picked up a couple of tall boys on sale the other day - it's ****ing water.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'd like to nominate Rolling Rock in the worst category. A friend was raving about it so I picked up a couple of tall boys on sale the other day - it's ****ing water.
When i was younger and first getting into Beer, Rolling Rock was one of my favorites but as i drank more beer and different types i realized what was good and what wasnt. I think your friend is just a little inexperienced. Although, i will say i had rolling rock a little ways back and it didnt taste the same...Budweiser is notorious for going around and buying up micro-breweries and selling those company's beer under the same name and packaging, especially beer companys that are up and coming and gaining popularity. I think over time, Bud waters down all the beer (just like theirs) to save money.

Here's a list of all the company's they bought out and manufacture their beer under the previous company's name and packaging. I HATE budweizer for this very reason.

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/s/index.php/our-beers/

Old
04-02-2012, 03:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I was going to say, I remember having it in college and it not being terrible. Not good but for what I could afford on my budget it did the trick an it was better then the Coors Light, Bud Light, Natty crap. And of course, knowing the bartenders at one of the local clubs, they had 3 beers on tap, one was rock, and if you were cool with them they'd hook you up on quarter pitcher night. Looks like it was sold a couple years after I left though. Can't say I've had it since getting a job that pays a decent wage anyhow so non-issue. Had no idea they were bought up by one of the large macros in all honesty.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...V8S_story.html

Quote:
More than 4,800 miles separate the two finalists of the 32, all-American craft brews of Beer Madness 2012: Coconut Porter from Maui Brewing in Lahaina, Hawaii, and Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing in Cherry Hill, N.J.

But only one vote decided the winner.

Coconut Porter in previous rounds thumped the opposition with scores of 8-1, 8-1, 6-3. Yet it barely squeaked by last year’s champion, 5-4. It thus became the first canned beer to wear the Beer Madness crown.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:13 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

^ That Hawaii beer sounds interesting.
The US seems to have more interesting beer varieties. Shame pretty much all the beer I've tried has been pretty terrible.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

I know, I don't often drink beer, but I'm going to find out where to get that coconut beer. Coconut!

Old
04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I haven't had any of the coconut porters but I imagine they are pretty good. The other day we shared a bottle of New Holland Dragon's Milk (oak barrel-aged milk stout) and it had a distinctly coconuty flavor despite not actually having any coconut in the recipe. Was quite good as far as sweet stouts go.

For a beer that was decidedly NOT good, one of the worst I've had before in fact, you can look no further than a homebrew we just cracked recently. "Presidential Runoff" was an attempt to make a brown ale from the second runnings of a Russian Imperial Stout sparge. The hope was that it would come out at around 5% ABV and be a nice session beer, at little extra cost. The problem was that we got such good efficiency off the sparge for the Imperial that, even with 25.5lbs of grain, there was practically nothing left for the brown ale. The result is a beer that is maybe 3.5% ABV, and you know that could be alright except that, because we were expecting it to be higher, it's way overhopped and all the hops were used for bittering. So the result is some ultra-bitter brown water. It's pretty much vile in basically every way possible. However, it does work as a beer extender: we mixed it with a strong, somewhat sweet stout and the result was something reasonably pleasant. The silver lining is that it proves we got ridiculous efficiency on the Russian Imperial and it's probably going to clock in at like 15% ABV or something along those lines.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Had some Keith's Premium White for the first time yesterday. Completely terrible.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

A couple of my favorite midwest craft beers:

Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds (Munster, IN)

Two Hearted Ale - Bells (Kalamazoo, MI)

Breakfast Stout - Founders (Grand Rapids, MI)

Cane and Ebel - Two Brothers (Warrenville, IL)

Spotted Cow - New Glarus (New Glarus, WI)

Matilda - Goose Island (Chicago, IL)

Old
04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
A couple of my favorite midwest craft beers:

Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds (Munster, IN)
Damn you, I am soooooo jealous of this. I'd kill to be able to get anything from Three Floyds.

Old
04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Can't go wrong with a Yuengling or a Sierra Nevada pale ale. Hoegaarden on tap is pretty delicious as well.

Some crafts/lesser knowns that I've tried recently:

Saranac White IPA

Not very hoppy for an IPA, which is a good thing in my opinion, as over-hopping ruins a lot of otherwise splendid IPAs. It's pretty light but the flavor is spot on, citrusy but not overwhelming. A pretty well rounded pale ale that doesn't have any flaws. Could drink 12 of these easily.

Trois Pistoles (Unibroue)

I'm not a big fan of Belgians, they're typically okay, but a little champagny and yeasty for me. But this is the first dark Belgian-style I've ever tried (of course they're from Quebec). And I'm majorly impressed. Spicy (coriander) and fruity (think port-wine). But none of the downfalls of dark ales here, not too bitter, not too heavy.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Absolute perfection of the chocolate stout style. First flavored stout I ever tried was a coffee stout and it completely turned me off from the style. But Young's brought me back full force. I've had some cans of this that tasted a little flat (though the nitro-cannister is a nice touch), but that's the only possible flaw I could think of. This stuff is so creamy, and the chocolate notes complement the dark beer flavor so well. Perfection.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Had Spotted Cow when I last went up to Madison a few years back. Definitely meets with my approval. Nothing overly stood out to me, it was just a really drinkable beer that wasn't crap, which is always a plus in my books. Plus the hotel I was at had them available for half price at happy hour, which tended to be me drinking about 4 of them, fast.

REALLY wish I could get ahold of some Three Floyds stuff. I may have to hit a local beer store when I head up to Indy this summer.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Had Spotted Cow when I last went up to Madison a few years back. Definitely meets with my approval. Nothing overly stood out to me, it was just a really drinkable beer that wasn't crap, which is always a plus in my books. Plus the hotel I was at had them available for half price at happy hour, which tended to be me drinking about 4 of them, fast.

REALLY wish I could get ahold of some Three Floyds stuff. I may have to hit a local beer store when I head up to Indy this summer.
Spotted Cow is one of my summer beers. Its refreshing. Unfortunately its only released in Wisconsin, you can't get it in Illinois. I normally have my cousins bring it down when they visit.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:14 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Damn you, I am soooooo jealous of this. I'd kill to be able to get anything from Three Floyds.
I've met people from all over the country at Dark Lord Day. I love 3 Floyds but I wouldn't plan a vacation around Munster, IN. If you come to Chicago, you can get it everywhere here.

Old
04-13-2012, 04:46 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Currently drinking a bottle of this

Old
04-13-2012, 07:49 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

In general Indiana has a lot of pretty good beer for the size of the state

Old
04-14-2012, 05:51 PM
RayP

Just bought a 4 pack of the Aprihop. Not even an apricot fan myself, but disappointed that I don't taste them more in this brew with a name like that.

Old
04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
That Hop Head looks like it could be an interesting DIPA. Definitely has the right color and the ABV is around what would be expected. Obviously I'd have to taste it though. When I was in Kelowna last summer I had a couple of beers from Tree Brewing and was pretty pleased with them.
I can't stop drinking it, man. Easily my favourite beer at the moment. Hopefully it stays in LCBO's here for a while.

Tried La Fin Du Monde for the first time last week. One of those beers I could just sip all night. Beautiful.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Tried some beers from Good People Brewing out of Birmingham, AL yesterday afternoon. If any of you live in Bama or travel there, you need to pick up some of their brews. Their IPA is the bomb! Pours an absolutely beautiful deep red/brown color with a thick head, you'd swear to God from looking at it that it's going to be an 8-10% DIPA but it's actually just a 5-6%ish IPA (the ABV wasn't listed on the can). Great aroma and taste, it's perfectly hop-balanced and not sweet at all. Can't recommend this one enough. Next time my colleague goes back home to Alabama I'm going to get him to bring me back their entire line of beers.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Just found out Laguintas is opening a brewery in Chicago!!! Super pumped!

Old
04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
RayP

Had a couple of these last night, no complaints.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:24 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

James Ready 5.5 (bottle) is a solid brew.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:59 PM
RayP

Just downed a six pack of these after a rough day. Not bad, but didn't live up to the name.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:00 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Bad beers: All beer.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
Currently drinking a bottle of this

You know, I know about where twisted pine is and have considered going there a few times, but I don't see the appeal of a beer that is spicy. I like spicy food, but I just don't see why someone would drink that.

Their Amber Ale is quite decent. It's not the greatest ever, or the most flavorful, but it's something nice and moderate when your sitting at a party watching the game or something.

Closed Thread