HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

The Dallman Thing

Old
04-12-2012, 07:48 PM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
C'mon, hockey isn't THAT important.

In the big picture, the Kazakh Government doesn't give a toss about some hockey team....however, it cares greatly about some blog that's being used as propaganda by those opposed to the current regime.
Your right, it's just hockey, so why would they care if some hockey guys wife says some stuff on her website? How insignificant does that make her, who cares what she has to say. I mean according to Borat, woman in Kazakhstan have less importance than mice

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Your right, it's just hockey, so why would they care if some hockey guys wife says some stuff on her website? How insignificant does that make her, who cares what she has to say. I mean according to Borat, woman in Kazakhstan have less importance than mice
...because it was a popular blog. However, she could have just as easily been a popular actor, musician or basketball player, but it doesn't mean the Kazakh Government cares about those professions either. It's the content of the blog they took issue with.

You're living in a hockey fantasy world if you think the Kazakh Governemnt gives 2 craps about the future signings of Barys.

Like many have said, this has nothing to do with Barys, the KHL, or even hockey.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:21 AM
sirMcDuck

This all is complete BS! Everything is fine in United happy-democrats of Kazahktzan.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:51 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I travel to Kazakhstan at least once or twice a year and Stacey Dallman is completely right.There is a huge income disparity and an "Elite Class" that takes advantage of the poor there. It's this way in most if not all former Soviet Countries.
Is it any worse than in her home country, though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ncome_equality

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

My main concern is how this will effect the KHL in terms of signing foreign players.

I would love to know how much Dallman was getting paid. Bary's arena only holds ~5500 people and from what I can tell regular season tickets sell for around $6 - $10 CAD each, not to mention they only play 27 home games. He has arguably been the KHL's best player over the last four years, but I just can't see him making millions with economics like this.

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 04-13-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
He has arguably been the KHL's best player over the last four years
This is offtopic, but seriously? How much you have seen of him these past four years? He scores a boatload of PP points on mid-tier team, I'll give you that, but to call him the best player in the league, please. He wouldn't score at a fraction of current pace on a any of leagues powerhouse teams.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post

Notice how the introduction to the list mentions that black market income is not included? In corrupt nations like Kazakhstan, that would be the primary source of income inequality.

Quote:
My main concern is how this will effect the KHL in terms of signing foreign players.

I would love to know how much Dallman was getting paid. Bary's arena only holds ~5500 people and from what I can tell regular season tickets sell for around $6 - $10 CAD each, not to mention they only play 27 home games. He has arguably been the KHL's best player over the last four years, but I just can't see him making millions with economics like this.
On the first point, it will probably hurt Barys ability to sign North American players but the KHL as a whole will be fine.

As for your second point, most KHL teams are not run as profit-generating businesses, rather they rely upon the generousness of wealthy sponsors. Ticket prices or arena size have almost no influence on player salaries.

Last edited by Franck: 04-13-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
This is offtopic, but seriously? How much you have seen of him these past four years? He scores a boatload of PP points on mid-tier team, I'll give you that, but to call him the best player in the league, please. He wouldn't score at a fraction of current pace on a any of leagues powerhouse teams.
I know he will never get a fair shake here, not really worth even discussing this. In the last 4 years he has had two seasons where the guy finished 6th and 5th in league scoring. Try and make a list of how many D-men have done that (in any pro league) and you will find it is very, very short.

Edit: I could only find 2 NHL d'men who managed to finish as high as 5th in league scoring, being Orr and Coffey and keep in mind that Coffey only managed this while playing with Gretzky. Also it is a bit of a stretch to say that playing for a bad team has helped Dallman's stats, usually the opposite is true.

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 04-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Notice how the introduction to the list mentions that black market income is not included? In corrupt nations like Kazakhstan, that would be the primary source of income inequality.
Is it enough to close the gap though?

While there is no doubt that the USA is a richer country than KAZ, what exactly is there to suggest inequality is not more or less equivalent? I mean the USA is at the bottom of the OECD table.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 12:29 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Also it is a bit of a stretch to say that playing for a bad team has helped Dallman's stats, usually the opposite is true.
It's not a stretch when you know that Dallman sees every second of teams PP time. It would be interesting to see how much ice time he would see on better team, because I think it's unlikely that he would play 25+ minutes every game like he's been doing in Astana..

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
It's not a stretch when you know that Dallman sees every second of teams PP time. It would be interesting to see how much ice time he would see on better team, because I think it's unlikely that he would play 25+ minutes every game like he's been doing in Astana..
I guess we might find out next year.

Old
04-13-2012, 06:12 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post

Dude are you out of you mind? Have you been to the former soviet republics? How much of the money being stolen, siphoned, gained through bribes, back room deals, corruption and laundered do you think is being reported for the purposes of that study?

There is a big difference between Business and Biznes.

At least in soviet times being in the corrupt elitist class meant that at most you had a black chaika, a color tv, a decent datcha and some "defetsit" food products you got "po blatoo". The guys we have now have millions and millions while their workers get paid pennies.

Here is a pretty decent study by the worldbank on shadow economies. http://www-wds.worldbank.org/externa...DF/WPS5356.pdf

On pg 23 you can see the Eastern European countries. If you look at that list their shadow economies as a percentage of GDP are some of the worst in the world. Kazakhstan's shadow economy is the equivalent to over 40% of it's GDP and in 94th place behind such great bastions of stability such as Ghana and Ethiopia. Russia is ****** in this sense too so don't think i am just picking on ex soviet republics.

What Ms. Dallman talked about is real and is a real problem and true enough to get expelled for it.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Checker61

Dallman was making in excess of $3,000000 a year plus bonuses tax free. times a three year contract .

Checker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Colonel

While Mrs Dallman is right in her account of corruption in Kazakstan, her choice of words was very poor and unfortunate. She said basically that she despised the whole country. In former Soviet republics where nationalism is high (and especially in Kazakstan still feeling deeply offended by Borat movie), it won't make her many friends even among opposition to the regime.

As about making political statements while working abroad: when I worked in Japan I was specifically asked to sign a "pledge" that I would refrain from engaging in ANY political activities, including rather mild ones like, for example, expressing public disapproval of politics of a third country. Needless to say, Japan is more democratic and less corrupt than Kazakstan.

It's worth to mention also, that Mrs Dallman is fully aware that corrupt Kazakstan government is the main source of her family income. Her husband is an employee of the said government (Barys is run by state-owned railway company).

Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 04:12 PM
gingerninja*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker61 View Post
Dallman was making in excess of $3,000000 a year plus bonuses tax free. times a three year contract .
Thank you for telling us that, mr Dallman

gingerninja* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
yunost

Although an estimate, 3 million dollars a year is completely believable to me for the star captain of a regular GC playoff participant, and compared to the salaries of other players.

the link posted on the first page is now offline

I wonder why, maybe because the Dallmans realized that they're not going to get anywhere near that salary(or any salary Barys was paying him).

He'll be lucky to make near 2mil in the NHL(taxed), if a team even needs him.

Other european leagues ( CZE, SEL, SM, NLA, etc.) definitely wont give him anywhere near KHL.

Im not sure Belarus or Latvia need political hockey wife bloggers. And you'd be mistaken if you think the rest of Russian KHL cities are less corrupt and will tolerate such blogs as the ones mrs. Dallman writes. Russians are nationalistic proud people and love their country and don't need a north American's wife's pity to spark political change through her account of how much she despises their way
Nobody needs that kind of publicity.

I doubt there are KHL teams lined up to sign him as some may suggest, especially not for the premium Barys was paying (with him being star, captain, heavy point producer, and there since the KHL debut). He would be playing less, producing less and getting less $ on teams that can afford him(if they even want him)

Kevin probably realized that his wife strongly and negatively(at least from a financial pov) affected his career and gave her a piece of his mind After all, it was her doing all the talking and as far as my research goes I have not heard a comment from Kevin himself.

Anyway they are in fully democratic NA, so why take the blog down??

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Kevin probably realized that his wife strongly and negatively(at least from a financial pov) affected his career and gave her a piece of his mind After all, it was her doing all the talking and as far as my research goes I have not heard a comment from Kevin himself.
For all we know Kevin was equally fed up and knew about and supported what his wife was doing.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
yunost

Quote:
For all we know Kevin was equally fed up and knew about and supported what his wife was doing.
so why pull the blog down?

Old
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
so why pull the blog down?
Who knows. Maybe his agent recommended he do that if he wants to land another job in the KHL.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:21 PM
VladNYC*

Yunost if our people can't handle some wife writing something on the internet with out freaking out and banishing people then our country is doomed and for that reason it should be.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:42 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
I'm not taking the Kazakhs side, I am simply stating that it was not her place as a visa holder in a country where her husband was a working expat, to run a blog about how sick of that country she is and how much she hates their way of life.

If anybody somehow gathers that I am against the right to free speech or expression and support corrupt and oppressive governments is purely immature or shallow.

In fact this is not about politics or democracy. When I say any country would do it, I mean it.

This is about common decency. There could be many negative point found in any country. I hear Canadians insult Russian players as just being here for the money all the time!(Don Cherry on National TV for example) And thats with them not doing anything at all. Imagine foreigners blogging about how they have come to despise American culture, or how the obesity rates are disgusting them or (insert any insulting opinion). Imagine Americans in Slovakia talking about how abysmal the living conditions are compared to their home and how sorry they feel for Slovakians (exactly what mrs. Dallman did to KZ).
This is simply wrong and indecent.

Especially after Kazakhstan and its people love Dallman so much make him their captain resign him for the longterm, nurture him and his family with the best schools for the kids, etc, etc, this is more like a spit in the face.
Didn't Kevin Dallman obtain Kazakhstan citizenship recently? As for where Dallman may wind up, I might say: another KHL team or in Switzerland's National League A.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 04:19 AM
RewBicks

Quote:
I absolutely think the right thing happened.

First of all it is not certain that Barys kicked anyone out.
His wife was asked to leave the country and I am assuming that is why the contract was mutually terminated since they would not be able to be together.

Its not about bush league, KHL, or anything like that and whoever thinks so is clueless.
Its one thing to write a bit of a rant or something. And maybe apologize if it goes out of hand. But to straight up extensively to the core insult a nation by calling the people what she did, and to afterwords restate it is despicable.

Any country or any league would act similarly.
Moreover any club in the KHL that signs him next should be ashamed of themselves.

I feel bad for Kevin, good guy and player. Too bad his wife had to ruin it for him. Actually I think it would be acceptable if he proceeds with Barys while his wife remains outside of Kazakhstan.

Malkinfan, this doesnt hurt the reputation of anyone but the Dallmans.
It seems obvious, but I'll say it anyways: taking a beating in the press is not the same as being expelled from a country by its government. One is consistent with freedom of conscience, the other is not. To top it off, she didn't even say anything all that offensive - saying that the corruption she has experienced has colored her entire impression of the country, while it may seem a bit harsh, is really not all that big of a deal. The government is not upset about those comments - they're upset about the fact she's a public figure and she is putting the government's corruption in a very public light.

Last edited by RewBicks: 05-11-2012 at 04:30 AM.
RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:50 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
I'm not taking the Kazakhs side, I am simply stating that it was not her place as a visa holder in a country where her husband was a working expat, to run a blog about how sick of that country she is and how much she hates their way of life.
Why not?

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I'd like to see Dallman try his luck in the NHL.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:28 AM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Why not?
Post #39 sums it up quite well in my opinion.

In case you haven't read the posts refer to post numbers 5, 20, 23, 41, 43 for my reasons of 'why not'.

Maybe you can be productive and post your ideas of 'why yes', or give me your insight on why she ultimately did take the blog down, and why Kevin Dallman hasn't said a word in her defense.

Id really like to know