HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So did Phil Kessel meet expectations?

Old
04-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Seems to me like he's doing his best. Not very many point-per-game players in the league this year.

Exactly how many points would it take for him to single-handedly make this team better? 150?

Would you like him to strap on the pads and save a few more goals?

You're connecting Thing A and Thing B without taking into account Things C through Z.

Leafs offense has been fine. That is what Kessel is here to improve. Their defence and goaltending have been what's keeping this team back from excelling. It's not from a lack of production on Kessel's part.

What a narrow-minded viewpoint.
So you are saying he was brought in to do one thing and one thing only, which goes to support exactly what I said, that he's a support player and not the type to build a team around. There are lots of guys who put up impressive numbers individually who don't necessarily improve their team in other areas. He's a good player on his own, but he's not the type who makes the players around him better. Perhaps your narrow mind should look at what he brings to the table beyond his own individual accolades.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So you are saying he was brought in to do one thing and one thing only, which goes to support exactly what I said, that he's a support player and not the type to build a team around. There are lots of guys who put up impressive numbers individually who don't necessarily improve their team in other areas. He's a good player on his own, but he's not the type who makes the players around him better. Perhaps your narrow mind should look at what he brings to the table beyond his own individual accolades.
Alexander Ovechkin does one thing and one thing only: rack up points. Would you say he isn't a support player?

Joffrey Lupul and Tyler Bozak had career seasons alongside Phil Kessel. I guess that was all their own doing?

You seem to be placing the blame for the Leafs' struggles at his feet, as if he hasn't produced enough or tried hard enough to make the team succeed.

Again, how exactly do you suggest he (or ANYONE for that matter) would have been able to make the Leafs better?

Name me one forward in this league who could have single-handedly fixed the Leafs' defensive and goaltending gaps while also producing near a point-per-game pace.

Leafs fans... never happy. "He's a point-per-game player, BUT IS HE ELITE DEFENSIVELY?"

It's a team game. He more than did his part. He more than did what was asked of him. It was other areas of the team that failed, and not because of him.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

There have been plenty of players from the past, much like Kessel, who produced big numbers wherever they went, but they just could never be that player who could be relied upon to lead a team. It's the exact same thing that happened with Mike Gartner. Great player, a player any team could use, but not someone you look upon as a leader. I don't care where you place him, he is not and will not be a leader.

Not pinning Toronto's problems on Kessel, which is why I said as an individual he has delivered. But the expectation was for the team to improve with the acquisition of a player like him, meaning he's supposed to be a leader. Has he been a leader?

Old
04-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
There have been plenty of players from the past, much like Kessel, who produced big numbers wherever they went, but they just could never be that player who could be relied upon to lead a team. It's the exact same thing that happened with Mike Gartner. Great player, a player any team could use, but not someone you look upon as a leader. I don't care where you place him, he is not and will not be a leader.

Not pinning Toronto's problems on Kessel, which is why I said as an individual he has delivered. But the expectation was for the team to improve with the acquisition of a player like him, meaning he's supposed to be a leader. Has he been a leader?
He's 24. Some players take longer to mature into that role in the dressing room. Although, he was noticeably more vocal in the weeks that wound down the season.

I think he's been a leader-by-example, without a doubt. I think the Leafs players look to him to be the catalyst for their offense. That's a role he has succeeded at.

I do believe you can build an offense around someone who has shown he can be a top-10 scorer in the league. If anyone needs more support, it's Kessel. The fact he had the season he had without a bonafide #1 center shows he can shoulder the load and have success. I'm hopeful you'll start giving him credit then.

The team will improve when they plug their defensive and goaltending issues. And once that happens, if Kessel keeps playing the way he's been playing, this team will succeed.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Colorado Avalanche

I had very high expectations for him, because in EHM (hockey manager game), he always became as good as Crosby.

Yes, he has more than met his expectations.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:56 AM
LC

Quote:

Most people who are referred to as "great leaders" sure have a ton of talent surrounding them. Everybody wants to pick one person and either give them all the credit or all the blame.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Most people who are referred to as "great leaders" sure have a ton of talent surrounding them. Everybody wants to pick one person and either give them all the credit or all the blame.
I don't think that is necessarily true. Iginla is widely considered as one of the best leaders in the game and he hasn't had a ton of talent around him. Scott Stevens was another great leader who wasn't surrounded with a ton of talent.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I don't think that is necessarily true. Iginla is widely considered as one of the best leaders in the game and he hasn't had a ton of talent around him. Scott Stevens was another great leader who wasn't surrounded with a ton of talent.
Iginla is a great lead by example guy, but I've never seen him as a huge off ice leader. A good, happy guy with a good attitude and professional work ethic, but not the I'm gonna call you out when you aren't doing your job" type leadership that is needed.

I'll call it "complimentary" leadership.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote