HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

For research: name 5 "clutch" players and 5 "chokers"

Old
04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
To those claiming that clutch and choking don't exist, I think you need to consider how pressure affects people. Some people turtle under pressure, others thrive. There is no reason to expect hockey players to be any different, is there?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:39 PM
asdf1

ITT: name every shark and canuck

asdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post

Alfredsson was the leading goal and point scorer while captaining the Senators to Game 6 of the SCF.. He scored 14goals for gods sake! Furthermore, he was Sweden's leading scoring en route to the Gold Medal in 2006, and just one point off the tournament lead!

Iginla was the leading scorer for the Flames by a margin of 5pts and the overall playoff leader in goals the year he captained them to Game 7 of the SCF. He's also got 2 Gold Medals and assisted on the golden goal in sudden death OT in 2010.
That doesn't make them clutch players.... Its basically good players playing normal...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Godinster

I'm surprised I haven't seen many Edler or Kesler nominations from Canucks fans.

Alfie is quite often incredibly clutch. Two times during this year he was solely responsible [or as solely as you can get in the NHL] for a come behind win in the dying minutes of a game. The game against the Devils a couple months ago is the best example that comes to mind.

Godinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Lots of points no Cups.
Basically Spezza of the West, but at least Spezza followed Alfredsson into one finals.

Crosby went to two finals, won the gold for Canada, wills his team to victory...I mean he's Crosby.
Spezza was solid in the post season. Same with the line he was on. Not having a Cup doesn't make you a bad player or a choker. Its a team sport

Sure Crosby has had clutch moments, but i was just making a point. He lost the first trip to the finals and was invisible the second time around. I'm not saying its bad, but to call him clutch and Thornton/Marleau chokers simply because they don't have a cup. Thornton has been leading this team into the playoffs since 06, and has been solid the past two years in the playoffs, and marleau is always a solid play off performer.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Unaffiliated

I'm going to tell you right now:

"Chokers" MUST, in principle, exist. Whether there are actually any in the NHL is a different story.

To be ridiculously over-the-top:
if we had a player who had a nervous breakdown every time the game went to overtime and peed his pants and lay down crying on the bench, then he is a choker.

Of course, usually the people who have these kinds of nervous breakdowns are not usually in pro sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety_disorder

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:34 PM
jpchabby

If you talk about the playoffs, Mike Cammalleri is one hell of a playoff performer

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote