HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team vs Country...What is more important to a player?

Old
04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
There is an important distinction that must be made between the player's team, and franchise X.

For example, Marion Hossa might have wanted the Stanley Cup more than a Gold Medal, but I don't believe that the Blackhawks as a whole mean more to him than Slovakia. For most of these guys, I believe its about the players in the room, not the logo at centre ice.

As someone else mentioned, players change teams a lot. Rarely do they change country. You can think of an NHL team as a bunch of hired mercenaries, hunting down a silver cup. The Olympics however, players do for pure pride.

Although using Hossa as an example has it's fallout's, he's won a cup now and I'm sure he'd rather a gold medal over a 2nd cup at the moment but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Good question OP.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:27 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianHornbuckle View Post

What a coincidence that England has the biggest league in the world and has not done anything in the WC since '66...
So England is the Leafs of world soccer.

As other posters mentioned if you're from NA it's club team, if you're from Europe then national team.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Shrek is good enough to be arguably Man U's best player, the highest scorer in the PL last year and he is not talented? Gerrard? Lampard? Terry?

And all they can do is tie the U.S. team and then lose 4-1 to Germany?
Are you seriously arguing that Germany did not have a better team?

Gerrard, Lampard and Terry are good players but they're just that. None of them would have likely started for Germany, though maybe you could have squeezed one in midfield.

Besides, it's not like the Bundesliga is significantly weaker than the Premiership (they even outdid England in the UEFA ranking the World Cup season), so Germany does not really help you argument anyway.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
SebastianHornbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Are you seriously arguing that Germany did not have a better team?

Gerrard, Lampard and Terry are good players but they're just that. None of them would have likely started for Germany, though maybe you could have squeezed one in midfield.

Besides, it's not like the Bundesliga is significantly weaker than the Premiership (they even outdid England in the UEFA ranking the World Cup season), so Germany does not really help you argument anyway.
way to hone in on one small part of my post. Germany 3 goals better than England? I don't think so. Drawing with the U.S.?

It's not just 2010 anyway. Are you seriously arguing that these players care anywhere near as much about playing for England as someone from Croatia does about playing for Croatia? They don't give a **** and many would rather not have to. And I don't blame them either, there's a lot of money on the line.

and Bundesliga doesn't touch the PL

SebastianHornbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
jekoh

Quote:
way to hone in on one small part of my post. Germany 3 goals better than England? I don't think so. Drawing with the U.S.?
England reached the second round and were knocked out by a team that was better on paper and better on the field. How they got there does not make any difference, and neither does the Germany scoreline.

Quote:
and Bundesliga doesn't touch the PL

Old
04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
He was asking about professional hockey players and not fans. No one cares if you care more about the NHL than the Olympics.
Think about it a little - they spend 7-9 months per year with your team working towards winning the Stanley Cup - a trophy they have wanted to win since they were 5 years old.

Or, you can win a gold medal at the Olympics. Two weeks every four years and you pretty much forget about it until it comes around again.

Players who prefer Olympic Gold don't make a lot of sense.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
SebastianHornbuckle*

Quote:

I don't know why you're laughing, it's not really even debatable.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
jekoh

The NHL is a mere national competition. It's like a big training camp for the tournament that actually matters: the Olympics.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:24 PM
jekoh

Quote:
I don't know why you're laughing, it's not really even debatable.
No, it is indeed not really debatable that the two leagues are neck and neck, hence why I laugh at the notion that the Bundesliga does not touch the Premiership.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:25 PM
SebastianHornbuckle*

Quote:
The NHL is a mere national competition. It's like a big training camp for the tournament that actually matters: the Olympics.
I'm sure all the Kontinental players agree

Old
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
SebastianHornbuckle*

Quote:
No, it is indeed not really debatable that the two leagues are neck and neck, hence why I laugh at the notion that the Bundesliga does not touch the Premiership.
there's not a single metric by which they are close, claiming such with a straight face is impressive though.

Old
04-15-2012, 03:54 PM
jekoh

Quote:
there's not a single metric by which they are close, claiming such with a straight face is impressive though.
Here's one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

There's not a single metric by which they are NOT close, claiming such with a straight face is ignorant.

Quote:
I'm sure all the Kontinental players agree
The KHL is also a training camp for the Olympics, I'm not sure why the KHL players would not agree with that.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Think about it a little - they spend 7-9 months per year with your team working towards winning the Stanley Cup - a trophy they have wanted to win since they were 5 years old.

Or, you can win a gold medal at the Olympics. Two weeks every four years and you pretty much forget about it until it comes around again.

Players who prefer Olympic Gold don't make a lot of sense.
You don't understand the question. It has nothing to do with Stanley Cup vs Olympic Gold, Its NHL team vs National Team.

Look at a guy like Kovalchuk, plays 5 years in Atlanta and then bolts to New Jersey the first chance he gets. How can you say that Atlanta>Russia in his eyes?

Look at Ryan Smyth Captain Canada, he's about as loyal to the Oilers as any player is to a team and there are rumors of him going to Calgary next season, the hated rival.

I'm sure their NHL teammates are more important to them then their National team teammates. But I think that most players value playing for Team Canada more than they value playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

You can't tell me that Rick Nash thinks playing for Columbus > Team Canada.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Joey Banana

Quote:
PL is better than Bundesliga. Youīre completely right there. No one could argue otherwise with a straight face. Bundesliga has one team that is internationally competitive and thatīs it.

But please, i remember England going ******* every single time they beat Germany in a big tournament. Not that it is often, though. And if the WC is not important why is there still a player literally bullied by the whole country because he failed on a penalty in the 90s? (Donīt remember exactly who and when).

And it really depends on the player. There are players that donīt give a damn and there are player that play their hearts out.

Joey Banana is offline   Reply With Quote