HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Adam Oates: Does he eventually get inducted into the HHOF?

View Poll Results: Does Adam Oates eventually get inducted into the HHOF?
Yes 39 95.12%
No 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-15-2012, 09:52 AM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He never posted more than 81 points in a season and played a lot of his career in a high scoring era.

He came to play in the postseason in general, but he doesn't reach Anderson in either regular or postseason play. I don't care if Anderson was the "right guy at the right time" the point is he is a huge contributor to a dynasty. It isn't as if Claude was saddled with the Whalers either. He starts off as a Hab and goes to Jersey prior to when they got good. Signs with Colorado the year they win as well. He was an important piece in 2-3 of his Cups. Anderson won 6 and was a big deal in 5 of them.

Anderson also played in the 1980s and had 100 point and 50 goal seasons. I don't care that Messier was his center, the guy did it regularly and let's not pretend he was just a passenger.
i agree that you can't compare claude to anderson. but i do want to point out that claude's playoff heroics were on both sides of the puck. he faced cam neely five times and his team won three of those match ups. that doesn't seem like a lot, but it was his job to slow down neely, who was practically unstoppable, and we saw what happened in 91 when montreal didn't have claude around anymore to do that job.

maybe that's off topic, but it just seems unfair to compare two guys who had different roles only using offensive criteria, which serves one guy more than the other. not to say andy didn't agitate, forecheck, or kill penalties at a high level, but he wasn't a stopper in the claude mould, and wasn't asked to be to the best of my recollection.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He never posted more than 81 points in a season and played a lot of his career in a high scoring era.

He came to play in the postseason in general, but he doesn't reach Anderson in either regular or postseason play. I don't care if Anderson was the "right guy at the right time" the point is he is a huge contributor to a dynasty. It isn't as if Claude was saddled with the Whalers either. He starts off as a Hab and goes to Jersey prior to when they got good. Signs with Colorado the year they win as well. He was an important piece in 2-3 of his Cups. Anderson won 6 and was a big deal in 5 of them.

Anderson also played in the 1980s and had 100 point and 50 goal seasons. I don't care that Messier was his center, the guy did it regularly and let's not pretend he was just a passenger.
Is playing in the 80 supposed to help Anderson's case or hurt it?

Sure he wasn't a passenger but he wasn't the driver and never really got invited to sit in the front seat either.

his regular season production was inconsistnet to say the least and it was rather pedestrian after 86 as well.

Quite simply, if Anderson didn't have the fortune to play on those stacked Edmonton teams there is no way we are talking about him belonging in the Hall and quite frankly if we look at the entirely of his career and pout it into context he doesn't belong there IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Exactly by simply calling Mark Howe as good, one could only guess how other all time great would be treated by that poster.
Checked out the site, and it has "Harry Lumley at 17 was the youngest player to ever participate in a National Hockey League game" as a very large and prominent fact on the front page.

Bep Guidolin was 16 when he first played. I knew that when I was 9 years old.

Let's not take him very seriously.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
RogerRoeper*

He'll get in eventually. Personally, I think it's a joke he's not in already. He's one of the top 3 passing centres ever. Look at his stats, they're incredible given he was undrafted and only got regular playing time in his mid-20's.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:48 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post
The only player above Oates in career playoff points that's not a Hall of Famer is Bobby Smith.

And yes Claude Lemieux will get in.

I think some voters just don't like Oates but it's impossible to keep him out.
No way. His regular season stats just aren't good enough.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Mark Howe was a great player, and deserved to be in Years ago
Don't agree. If he father isn't Gordie, he doesn't get in.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Don't agree. If he father isn't Gordie, he doesn't get in.
Worked out pretty well for Marty too, huh?

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Johnny Engine

Anyone want to make a go at why a 3-time 1st team all-star who had to compete with Bourque, Coffey, Chelios and Langaway for those spots gets so many people coming in and saying he's not a great player, without any substantive explanation why?

The only thing that comes to mind is "he played a quiet style," and I don't feel like enough of these posters saw him play for that to be much of a factor.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Anyone want to make a go at why a 3-time 1st team all-star who had to compete with Bourque, Coffey, Chelios and Langaway for those spots gets so many people coming in and saying he's not a great player, without any substantive explanation why?

The only thing that comes to mind is "he played a quiet style," and I don't feel like enough of these posters saw him play for that to be much of a factor.
I would rather make a case for him.

Even if you completely ignore his WHA years(Which you should not because he was fantastic), his NHL resume is Hall of Fame worthy.

Defensively? He was Rock solid. One of the best defensive defenders of his day. Offensively? He could make things happen out there all alone. He was a hell of a quarterback, able to Rush the puck, make the first pass. In fact, I would say he was one of the best 5 on 5 players in the NHL. He also did this playing a finesse game taking very few penalties.

His Norris Record? 5th, 2nd,6th, 6th, 2nd, 2nd in his prime. Against some of the strongest competition ever to lace them up. Denis Potvin, Borje Salming, Larry Robinson, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Rod Langway...........Even the next tier down were fantastic defenders, consisting of Doug Wilson, Larry Murphy, a Young Scott Stevens, Chris Chelios and Al Macinnis........

Howe also pulled out some strong consideration for the Hart Trophy. Against the Likes of Gretzky, Trottier, Bossy, Lemieux, Yzerman, Stastny, Messier, Howe was 5th, 3rd, and 8th for the Hart, and we all know defensemen have to do a hell of a job to get noticed for the Hart.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshooter View Post
Oates apparently has some off-ice issues which is the only reason why he is not in already. I think he will eventually get elected, but afaik Oates was never much liked as a person. Such things should not count here, but they do.

Oates was left out from numerous Team Canada rosters as well. Was it during 1996 World Cup or 1998 Olympics when Oates said he would play for Team USA if Canada does not take him. US coach or GM replied that he is interested only about those players who want to play Team USA first...
In late 1997 he applied for dual citizenship. He still wanted to play for Canada if they chose him but Canada didn't. The idea was flirted by the Americans to pick him since they didn't have much of a talent pool to choose from and never hesitated to choose Canadian-born players who happened to have one American parent. However, neither team chose Oates for the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Is playing in the 80 supposed to help Anderson's case or hurt it?

Sure he wasn't a passenger but he wasn't the driver and never really got invited to sit in the front seat either.

his regular season production was inconsistnet to say the least and it was rather pedestrian after 86 as well.

Quite simply, if Anderson didn't have the fortune to play on those stacked Edmonton teams there is no way we are talking about him belonging in the Hall and quite frankly if we look at the entirely of his career and pout it into context he doesn't belong there IMO.
What about in 1987? That was a year where Anderson could have won the Smythe, and certainly was in conversation. He was a big money player with no fear of driving to the net and he scored some huge goals in his career. I'd say he was pretty darn close to sitting in the front season in the 1987 playoffs on a team stacked with HHOFers.

But either way, you don't exclude a guy who is 4th all-time in postseason points. There are statistical thresholds that are just too important to ignore. 93 goals and 214 playoff points is a LOT of production at crunch time and very few did it as well as Anderson.

If Anderson is a member of the Hartford Whalers then he probably isn't a HHOFer. But lots of players including Barber, Shutt and perhaps even Fedorov are HHOFers based on their playoff contributions as well. If Ron Francis is in Hartford his whole career maybe he doesn't get in either, who knows? But its one thing to be put into a good situation and another thing to thrive in it. Anderson certainly thrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i agree that you can't compare claude to anderson. but i do want to point out that claude's playoff heroics were on both sides of the puck. he faced cam neely five times and his team won three of those match ups. that doesn't seem like a lot, but it was his job to slow down neely, who was practically unstoppable, and we saw what happened in 91 when montreal didn't have claude around anymore to do that job.

maybe that's off topic, but it just seems unfair to compare two guys who had different roles only using offensive criteria, which serves one guy more than the other. not to say andy didn't agitate, forecheck, or kill penalties at a high level, but he wasn't a stopper in the claude mould, and wasn't asked to be to the best of my recollection.
It isn't as if Claude was a Selke winner either. He was brought in to score goals at the most crucial time of the year. That was his forte. Not to mention being a pest.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
It isn't as if Claude was a Selke winner either. He was brought in to score goals at the most crucial time of the year. That was his forte. Not to mention being a pest.
Lemieux was often used as a shadow in the playoffs and was quite effective at it.

His job against Neely in the 95 playoffs is one reason he won the Smythe

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote