HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

MAF has a Save% under .900 4 straight series

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
MAF has a Save% under .900 4 straight series

Herp, derp stats

Make your own conclusions on whether he's part of the problem considering his pedestrian regular season stats during the same time frame.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:18 PM
chosen

He is more than part of it

Old
04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

It's the defense. It's always the defense.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Elephant in the room.

The defense was horrible this series, so nobody wants to talk about just how average Fleury has been the last three playoff series.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Ominous Grey

At the very least, I don't know how anyone can say we should go into next season without a good, young #2.

We need a bonfide goaltending prospect/upcoming stud. That way if Fleury sucks, we can trade him. Trade Martin, a first, and a prospect for Schneider maybe?

Old
04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
At the very least, I don't know how anyone can say we should go into next season without a good, young #2.

We need a bonfide goaltending prospect/upcoming stud. That way if Fleury sucks, we can trade him. Trade Martin, a first, and a prospect for Schneider maybe?
Canucks are in the same position as the Pens but without the cup win to soothe things a bit. I can't see anyway CS is not on their team next year as much as their management "believes" in Luongo.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Giskard

MAF hasn't been good, but it's hard to be when there is ALWAYS a Flyer alone behind the defense.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Canucks are in the same position as the Pens but without the cup win to soothe things a bit. I can't see anyway CS is not on their team next year as much as their management "believes" in Luongo.
Schneider is starting tonight though..

Old
04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Saku11

I have been defending him a lot over the years, but this is just too much. What a joke of a goaltender he can be...

Old
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
malkovsby

fleury has let in some softies but the flyers have an insane amount of time whenever theyre in the offensive zone

Old
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Schneider is starting tonight though..
Yeah, that's what I mean, they can't afford to part with him under any circumstance due to their Luongo situation. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Canucks explore a Brian Campbell cap floor type deal to get rid of Luongo, though I'm unsure on his movement clauses. That contract is killer. He may just want out and accept a deal to get away from all of it.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Control Denied

Maybe the myth that he is clutch in the playoffs will finally die now

Old
04-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Krudus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control Denied View Post
Maybe the myth that he is clutch in the playoffs will finally die now
Yes. Pens need a solid first goalie.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Herp, derp stats

Make your own conclusions on whether he's part of the problem considering his pedestrian regular season stats during the same time frame.
We're stuck with Fleury. I've never seen a goaltender play this bad. We tend to make a lot of excuses for Fleury. He was outplayed in the Montreal series, he was really shaky in the first trip to the finals against Detroit.
It'll be hard to believe in Fleury after this series.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:31 PM
DeViLzzz*

changed goalies but it didn't matter much but I have to say the change should have come sooner

in regards to who starts next game MAF starts as your backup really didn't show much

Old
04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Hophog

I'm not sure Bryz is any better than Fluery. Maybe Fluery isn't top five but I still believe that he's covered up a bad defense for so long that when he's a little off and playing average the defense's flaws are much more noticeable. The difference b/w these two teams IMO is obviously special teams, the fact that we can't keep the puck out of our net when we are on the power play is rediculous and to blame Fluery for the short handed goals is idiocy. How many odd man breaks did we have against Bryz while we were shorthanded? You put Fluery in the Flyers net for this series and we still wouldn't have 1/4 of the short handed goals the Flyers got.

I'm not sure that I saw a puck hit Paul Martin the entire game, pass or shot. He does nothing to limit the Flyers puck movement.

Defense is our problem right now. It wouldn't matter who we had in net which was evidenced by how poorly Johnson played on the stretch run. It's not that Johnson and Fluery are all of a sudden terrible goalies. It's that other teams are getting way to many good opportunity from great scoring position.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
We're stuck with Fleury. I've never seen a goaltender play this bad. We tend to make a lot of excuses for Fleury. He was outplayed in the Montreal series, he was really shaky in the first trip to the finals against Detroit.
It'll be hard to believe in Fleury after this series.
That's the thing, they're not stuck with Fleury. His contract is 3 more years at 5 per, not terrible but not great either. He is movable if they want to go that route. Shero definitely needs to bring in a competitive back-up rather than random old vet. MAF needs some competition. There should never be a scenario where a goalie gives up as many goals as he has the last 2 games and not get pulled until the 6th period.

I wouldn't be totally against bring in Vokoun. He's not been bad this year, just throw under the bus by Hunter.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
It's the defense. It's always the defense.
Explain how the defense helped MAF shovel the puck into his own net on that 1st goal lol

Old
04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
Explain how the defense helped MAF shovel the puck into his own net on that 1st goal lol
think he might of forgot the

Old
04-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
I have been defending him a lot over the years, but this is just too much. What a joke of a goaltender he can be...
Same for me.....it's getting really hard to continually defend him. He had become a lot more solid in the last 2 seasons and stopped giving up the incredibly soft goals and soft rebounds. But then the last handful of games in the regular season and this playoff round vs Philly has happened.

Seriously starting to wonder if he was as much of the reason we were winning as I thought he was.

I dunno what the fix is either, we can draft a goalie probably from our spot in the draft this year who may be good, but that wont be for at least 3 yrs from now.

Tough to trade for a goalie unless we consider moving Staal or something like that, and there isnt much on the UFA market for goalies either.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Control Denied

Fleury is covering the bad defence? really? The same defence that is top 5 in fewest shots against this season and last season?

Old
04-15-2012, 06:01 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Fleury is covering the bad defence? really? The same defence that is top 5 in fewest shots against this season and last season?
To me, # of shots is irrelevant. It's # of quality scoring opportunities given up. I have a hard time believing any other team gives up more.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Hophog

It's the quality of the shots not the quantity.

Other teams don't let us get many free shots from the slot and stand there behind the D free to put the rebounds in the net. I've noticed that other teams are clearing us out very quickly after we take the first shot. They also block a ton of shots which we used to do but are suddenly unable to block anything.

How many breakaways do we get against other teams per game vs the number of breakaways other teams get against us? Fluery has bailed us out numerous times this season when players have gotten behind our defense. Like I said, I'm not saying he doesn't have bad games but I'd also hate to toss him aside and go routeing around trying to find a replacement like 90% of the rest of the league has to do only to find out that he's kicking everyone's butt when he lands on a team with a good defense.

The only downside I see to having Fluery on our team this year is that we finished too high in the standings. W/o Fluery and considering all of our injuries we may have been lucky to squeak into the Playoffs at 6-8 and could probably be playing a team that we match up better against. I don't think our d is garbage but I think the Flyers are a bad match up against what our d has to offer.

Edit: I took too long typing my response and see Husker already beat me to it.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

IMO, when Fleury senses that his D can't protect him in a series, his brain disappears. That's the difference between him and an elite minder. When he's confident in his D, he plays confident and cocky. When the D starts standing around game after game, he implodes whereas an elite guy will buckle down and carry the team most nights or at least give them a fighting chance.

That said I am not ready to give up on him. If we retool the D significantly and he does this again during the season, then all bets are off. Also Johnson is a horrible backup. Maybe Shero will draft a G this year... since it takes them a while to develop.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
lol, what a terrible argument. Quantity does not equal quality.

MAF has been bad this series, but to put it all on his shoulders is ****ing ignorance at it's finest.

Closed Thread