HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Someone fill me in on Colborne

Old
04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
PresidentCamacho*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
I don't think it's unfair to anyone to project Colborne as a future top 6'er, he has the skill set to suggest he'll become one after he rounds out the rest of his game.
I think it's a bit unfair to Joe himself. Maybe he converts to the wing eventually, I don't know, but when Rick Dudley is saying #2 centreman, it creates expectations, and it's those expectations that become unreasonable and causes backlash from fans who felt they were misled. I think Nazem Kadri was being touted as a 100-point player, Carter Ashton as a #2/3 liner, Gardiner as Niedermayer/Keith and Dion Phaneuf as the best defenceman by a country mile, etc. etc. etc., so that's what I mean. If Leafs managers and coaches could be a little more realistic, and less optimistic, it would better serve the players, the fanbase, and even the hungry Toronto press.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Hand View Post
I think it's a bit unfair to Joe himself. Maybe he converts to the wing eventually, I don't know, but when Rick Dudley is saying #2 centreman, it creates expectations, and it's those expectations that become unreasonable and causes backlash from fans who felt they were misled. I think Nazem Kadri was being touted as a 100-point player, Carter Ashton as a #2/3 liner, and Dion Phaneuf as the best defenceman by a country mile, etc. etc. etc., so that's what I mean. If Leafs managers and coaches could be a little more realistic, and less optimistic, it would better serve the players, the fanbase, and even the hungry Toronto press.
I don't have a problem with them doing that, when Colborne was property of Boston it was the same deal so there's no reason to point to Toronto's coaches or managers. A #2 center is not of the question.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
His name is spelled , get it right.
I don't know who you're talking about, and I try not to be nasty...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:12 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Kind of easy to claim that after you edited your post before it showed "edited by beauchamp" underneath it.
Any proof of that, as you would say?

And again, I don't know who you're talking about...

Old
04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
I don't have a problem with them doing that, when Colborne was property of Boston it was the same deal so there's no reason to point to Toronto's coaches or managers.
Yeah I don't know what they were saying then in Boston. I think we can definitely say that Colborne is a long-term project. I read what Ponder said at the start of the thread and I agree with what he said. I'd put guys like Kadri, Blacker, Biggs, maybe McKegg, and Percy ahead of him for now as far as potential impactness. Of course Gards and Frats are ahead but I'd consider them NHL'ers at this point. Joe still needs a good pro season to prove he can play hockey like a man. I watch a good amount of Marlies and I'd say the benchmark is for Joe to surpass Mike Zigomanis, who was the Marlies best centre this season, by my account.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:24 PM
saffronleaf

I just wanted to mention that this is the most amount of replies that any thread of mine has generated -- and many of them are thoughtful and passionate.

To enter the Toronto Maple Leafs forum -- the mecca of the HFBoard universe -- and see a thread of mine be at the top (after the stickies, of course) after so many days... feels good man.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:28 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Yeah I don't know what they were saying then in Boston. I think we can definitely say that Colborne is a long-term project. I read what Ponder said at the start of the thread and I agree with what he said. I'd put guys like Kadri, Blacker, Biggs, maybe McKegg, and Percy ahead of him for now as far as potential impactness. Of course Gards and Frats are ahead but I'd consider them NHL'ers at this point. Joe still needs a good pro season to prove he can play hockey like a man. I watch a good amount of Marlies and I'd say the benchmark is for Joe to surpass Mike Zigomanis, who was the Marlies best centre this season, by my account.
You watch the Marlies but had to read back through this thread to suggest who you think is ahead of Colborne in our depth charts?

Old
04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I just wanted to mention that this is the most amount of replies that any thread of mine has generated -- and many of them are thoughtful and passionate.

To enter the Toronto Maple Leafs forum -- the mecca of the HFBoard universe -- and see a thread of mine be at the top (after the stickies, of course) after so many days... feels good man.
You can thank thebluemachine, Gatorade, Stephen, Frankie, Leafsman, Ometheus and me for that.

Contribute to your favourite charity on our behalf.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
You watch the Marlies but had to read back through this thread to suggest who you think is ahead of Colborne in our depth charts?
I meant that I agree with his assessment of the player and our prospect pool. I think everyone should read it because it was really well thought-out and descriptive.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Bravo for distorting what he actually said...

Keep on plugging.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
I meant that I agree with his assessment of the player and our prospect pool. I think everyone should read it because it was really well thought-out and descriptive.

Oh I see what you meant, my apologies. You really sound awfully familiar to another user here btw.