HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clearing our zone

Old
04-15-2012, 02:19 PM
BroadwayHustle

vCash: 500
The main problem that someone alluded to earlier was that the Rangers were just playing scared and getting the puck out of the zone every time the Sens brought it in. They did not keep up the offensive zone pressure, they just wanted to get out of the defensive zone..took icings and getting trapped and tired.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:26 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
I'm amazed at the number of Rangers fans getting ready to jump off the ledge. We had the lead for most of the game and blew. That one goal off Del Zotto's skate was fluky. I was kinda glad to see Dubi fired up after getting the misconduct penalty, he's gonna come out as a beast on Monday.
Senators played a tough game, but they played a dirty game and they got away with it. Monday will be different. I hope Dubinsky channels that energy in the right direction, with a lot of it right straight at #65. He got too much room last night.

Looking forward to game 3. Officials should be watching MacLean closely for goonery.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Don't even.
Its the Truth.

When we had possession of the puck in D zone we never had as many struggles getting it to the red line.

The Problem was we dumped too much when we got far enough in the neutral zone and we didn't know how to sustain a forecheck.

But making clean plays out of our end wasn't as much of a problem. We just couldn't defend the cycle very well.

Both coaches dealt with bad clears on PKs though.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:30 PM
OverTheCap

Rangers may ice the puck more than any other team in the league.

It's gotten overlooked because of all the other madness that occurred in last night's game, but AA's icing and Boyle's subsequent faceoff loss is what led to Ottawa's game winner in OT. All these icings are starting to cost us now. And if they are going to ice the puck with such frequency, the centers really have to make sure to win that faceoff in the defensive zone.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Rangers may ice the puck more than any other team in the league.

It's gotten overlooked because of all the other madness that occurred in last night's game, but AA's icing and Boyle's subsequent faceoff loss is what led to Ottawa's game winner in OT. All these icings are starting to cost us now. And if they are going to ice the puck with such frequency, the centers really have to make sure to win that faceoff in the defensive zone.
AA's icing was far worse than Boyle's face off loss imo.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:16 PM
CustomEngine
Classless Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Sens did NOT deserve to win this game. Two fluky goals.
There is no need to be upset, the better team won yesterday. GG GL next game!

CustomEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Sens did NOT deserve to win this game. Two fluky goals.
Goals are goals.

Rangers' first goal was scored on a powerplay that I think shouldn't have been a penalty. Does that mean the goal shouldn't count? No.

If the Rangers really are the better team, as many claim, good or bad luck shouldn't matter.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Kershaw

I think we're trying, but Ottawa's defensemen are ridiculously good at holding the line. (Particularly Karlsson)

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I think we're trying, but Ottawa's defensemen are ridiculously good at holding the line. (Particularly Karlsson)
Its honestly one of our defenseman groups' better qualities. The problem is that it can lead to a lot of breakaways against us when it doesn't work out.

Maybe less of a big deal against the Rangers, but against a really fast team, like the Lafs >.< , it doesn't always end well

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
This went on during the playoff series with Washington last year.

This isn't so much a player issue as it is a coaching one. Sullivan loves for the Dmen to chip the puck to the neutral zone and try to cause a turnover on the opposing team reentry.

Its stupid, completely ineffective. Our wings don't support the puck along the half wall at all. If your going to try to do quick clears, your wings have to be aggressive on the half walls forcing the play out of the zone.

We stack the slot too much. We have very little poise with the puck.

Its a problem that has happened for a LONG time now and its not going to be significantly fixed until the offseason(maybe).

This all pertains to us not implementing a puck possession game.
This is spot on! When you're watching the devils or the pens you know they have puck support in there own end and they know where their wingers are going to be. Why do we see that and not the coaches?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

McDonagh has seemed very nervous with the puck in the defensive zone. Torts has spoken about how when we're pinned we've just been "slapping the puck out." McD has been more guilty of that than any other d-man, IMO.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
McDonagh has seemed very nervous with the puck in the defensive zone. Torts has spoken about how when we're pinned we've just been "slapping the puck out." McD has been more guilty of that than any other d-man, IMO.
Not just McD, Girardi does it all the time. Bickel does it as well as Staal. The only Dmen who usually do not do it are MDZ and Strahlman.

MDZ tries to make plays up ice. But we also have terrible puck support. Most of what DZ connects with are stretch pass tip ins.

I would perfer if we took the stretch pass away from our team all together. We are not fast enough nor handle the puck well enough to exploit it.

We need to make short composed passes out of our end. Unfortunately, we haven't done it all season. I doubt we will start doing tomorrow. This was something that needed to be addressed at the start the season. Its not going to magically fix itself in one practice.

The bad habits have already settled in. I blame Mike Sullivan most of all.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:03 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
As others have alluded to- its been happening all season, not just these 2 playoff games. It also has been leading to goals all season.

When we pick up the puck in our defensive zone we don't look for a clean breakout. We usually just blindly shoot the puck up the boards. A lot of the the time our forwards miss the puck or the other team's d-men recognize this and steal the puck, leading to sustained pressure in our defensive zone. And I also agree that it is coaching.
Not to mention I am way tired of watching all 5 guys collapse in the slot to block shots instead of challenging the pointmen. They're seems to be too many times where our players do not hit at the right times. These complimentry hits after the opponents defensive zone is cleared don't do much for me.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Not to mention I am way tired of watching all 5 guys collapse in the slot to block shots instead of challenging the pointmen. They're seems to be too many times where our players do not hit at the right times. These complimentry hits after the opponents defensive zone is cleared don't do much for me.
Yep, its the whole "block shot" philosophy which is going to cost us as well against teams that have good Offensive Dmen.

Listening to Torts saying "We aren't going to make significant adjustments." in his practice presser just compiles the frustration.

Championship teams adjust in the playoffs. If Torts is going to be stubborn, we aren't going to win anything with him.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I really believe Sather needs to put his foot down and bring another assistant coach to help Torts on our offensive game. I do not like the two man show.

I think Torts is a great motivator and has a pulse on the team. But he completely lacks any ability to coach offense. Nothing is more demonstrative than our transition/breakouts.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:24 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
I really believe Sather needs to put his foot down and bring another assistant coach to help Torts on our offensive game. I do not like the two man show.

I think Torts is a great motivator and has a pulse on the team. But he completely lacks any ability to coach offense. Nothing is more demonstrative than our transition/breakouts.
How many signatures do we need?

Old
04-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
How many signatures do we need?
Honestly, its going to take two first round exits. Torts is our coach at least one more season. If he can't produce by next season, he is getting the door.

By that time I fully expect the players will have quit on him. Coaches like Torts work if you get results, but they wear out their welcome quickly if they can't go the distance.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:45 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Honestly, its going to take two first round exits. Torts is our coach at least one more season. If he can't produce by next season, he is getting the door.

By that time I fully expect the players will have quit on him. Coaches like Torts work if you get results, but they wear out their welcome quickly if they can't go the distance.
#1 seed in the east, we soundly win game 1 and lose a fluke game 2 and now we're talking about torts being shown the door in one year. Overreaction?

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
#1 seed in the east, we soundly win game 1 and lose a fluke game 2 and now we're talking about torts being shown the door in one year. Overreaction?
I'm just saying IF.

Not saying its going to happen.

If you don't believe me look at Bruce Boudreau.