HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 Plus-Minus Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

vCash: 500
Losing in the first round as a favorite is one thing. It's a disappointment. It gets you labeled chokers, no matter how well you play.

But completely melting down is another entirely. It's not something that requires tweaking. It's something that requires serious retooling. We all knew the duration that this core could be kept together was only until Letang's current contract expires and more than doubles. Maybe that needs to be moved up a bit.

Pluses
+Adams. Again. Exactly what he's supposed to do there, suspension be damned. Can't let your captain fight Scott Hartnell, even if he sort of started it. He was also effective on the forecheck, finishing guys clean.

+Phil Bourque for ripping these guys for this embarassment.

+Peter Taglianetti for doing the same on the TV side.

+Bob Grove for....you get the picture

-Malkin is a ghost

-Asham. I understand that Brayden Schenn needs to be taught a lesson. I also understand he milked that crosscheck for all it's worth. Doesn't matter. Can't be teaching a lesson with head high cross checks and punches to prone opponents. These are the Pittsburgh Penguins, not the Albany Gillieses. He's also brutal with the puck. You cannot be brutal with the puck in your less than ten minutes.

-Dan Bylsma. He lost control of the troops in this series, in more ways than one. This type of performance...boy. There needs to be a sacrificial lamb. Maybe it's him. Also called a timeout too late and pulled the goaltender one period too late

-Letang. Must be smarter than that. That's the second time he's been autoejected for a fight someone else could have fought. He's better than Timonnen and, more importantly, he's more irreplaceable to us than Timonnen is to the Flyers

-Orpik. If Shero decides one or more pieces of the core has to go, he's right at the top of the list. Just brutal. Look. The forwards aren't providing back pressure. I get that. Doesn't mean you can watch the flyers move the puck in complete helplessness.

-Michalek. This guy bobbles the puck, gets crushed and has no vision whatsoever. Hellova way to make $4 million.

-Martin. Variety of reasons.

-Sullivan. Doesn't do anything.

-Fleury. I didn't think he was a big contributor to the first two losses. His culpability for this travesty is just short of Bylsma's.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
BrawlFan

Hey guys,

I have been a huge Crosby hater forever but boy did that change today.

Crosby really man'd up in so many ways, here is a list:

-Starting with perhaps my fav moment, when Crosby and Schenn were holding each other I read his lips and he said "You wanna go?" to Schenn, I could not see what Schenn said but after he got a reply Crosby said "What a ****ing *****". Leads me to beleive that Schenn declined.
Crosby was game and ready to go with a guy who is definitely more rugged, to me anyway, and had that eye of the tiger look and then Schenn doesnt oblige. Any Flyer that calls him a pansy should take a look at that and realize they had their chance and he came accross looking way better than any Flyer.
-The grabbing of Hartnell, he was chirping him and then backed it up.
-Post game interview, some true emotion and not blaming anyone or ref, just telling it like it is and saying he is gonna handle it his own way, not looking to make friends. Boy was that awesome.

All in all he had a great game, its too bad there were so many undisciplined penalties but man did I convert based on solely this game. I hope he stays this badass!!!

Old
04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So we get rid of Martin, Michalek and Orpik, play Despres, add a stay-at-home D man and make a run at Ryan Suter. Would Bylsma be OK with that defense?

I'm not convinced. I think systematically we have issues. Dan Bylsma hockey isn't working. Those three are hugely to blame, but so is Fleury and so are several forwards on the back check.

I think this thing is bigger than three grossly under-performing defensemen...though that's where I'd start the off-season surgery. But I also think we need a new setup behind the bench.
Yep. When you have to bust out a legal pad to write down all the problems a team has I don't know how you can't cite the coach as a problem.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
I would love to see the reason for suspension. BTW, what will Berube (or whatever his name is) get for sending Simmonds out to go after Neal?
I thought I was the only one who noticed this. You could clearly see him say something along the lines of "I don't care what he does, just fight him". Then, sure enough, 10 seconds later Simmonds is out there trying to square off with Neal.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Losing in the first round as a favorite is one thing. It's a disappointment. It gets you labeled chokers, no matter how well you play.

But completely melting down is another entirely. It's not something that requires tweaking. It's something that requires serious retooling. We all knew the duration that this core could be kept together was only until Letang's current contract expires and more than doubles. Maybe that needs to be moved up a bit.

Pluses
+Adams. Again. Exactly what he's supposed to do there, suspension be damned. Can't let your captain fight Scott Hartnell, even if he sort of started it. He was also effective on the forecheck, finishing guys clean.

-Malkin is a ghost

-Asham. I understand that Brayden Schenn needs to be taught a lesson. I also understand he milked that crosscheck for all it's worth. Doesn't matter. Can't be teaching a lesson with head high cross checks and punches to prone opponents. These are the Pittsburgh Penguins, not the Albany Gillieses. He's also brutal with the puck. You cannot be brutal with the puck in your less than ten minutes.

-Dan Bylsma. He lost control of the troops in this series, in more ways than one. This type of performance...boy. There needs to be a sacrificial lamb. Maybe it's him. Also called a timeout too late and pulled the goaltender one period too late

-Letang. Must be smarter than that. That's the second time he's been autoejected for a fight someone else could have fought. He's better than Timonnen and, more importantly, he's more irreplaceable to us than Timonnen is to the Flyers

-Orpik. If Shero decides one or more pieces of the core has to go, he's right at the top of the list. Just brutal. Look. The forwards aren't providing back pressure. I get that. Doesn't mean you can watch the flyers move the puck in complete helplessness.

-Michalek. This guy bobbles the puck, gets crushed and has no vision whatsoever. Hellova way to make $4 million.

-Fleury. I didn't think he was a big contributor to the first two losses. His culpability for this travesty is just short of Bylsma's.
Solid post

Old
04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I thought I was the only one who noticed this. You could clearly see him say something along the lines of "I don't care what he does, just fight him". Then, sure enough, 10 seconds later Simmonds is out there trying to square off with Neal.
Berube clearly did.

However. If I am Berube, I am doing the same. Neal needed to be punched in the face immediately and repeatedly. That will happen next game within the first 5 minutes.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Lustaf

Just watched the post game reaction clip on TSN. Staal looks so defeated and done... and then, there is Crosby. Boy oh BOY, that guy sounded and looked as though wanted to individually rip a freaking hole through every single Flyer.

Love it.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Let's keep this on the +- angle... no debating who was right or wrong in the fights with Flyer fans.

Kryb: keep the talk to game stuff not the scrums / melees

Old
04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

deleted

Old
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

Pluses

-Malkin is a ghost

I am not quite sure we listened to the sam post game radio show

Old
04-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Gooch

I just watched the game now, had to dvr it from earlier. I am reading some of the reactions and everything is about Neal's hit which to me wasnt nearly as bad or as blatant as Schenn's hit earlier in the game. But the real issue I have is that kneeing penalty on Grossman. To me that was a disgusting and purposeful attempt to injure another player and it only got a 2 min minor and I think that was simply just because Neal got away unscathed from it. That is the worst play of the game and if there are any suspensions coming from this debacle it should be for that.

As for the game itself, Bylsma kept Fleury in there way too long. It was clear early on that it just simply wasnt Fleury's day and bounces werent going his way. The rest of the game really hinged off of that, once the score got out of hand the garbage really flew.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:37 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Hey guys,

I have been a huge Crosby hater forever but boy did that change today.

Crosby really man'd up in so many ways, here is a list:

-Starting with perhaps my fav moment, when Crosby and Schenn were holding each other I read his lips and he said "You wanna go?" to Schenn, I could not see what Schenn said but after he got a reply Crosby said "What a ****ing *****". Leads me to beleive that Schenn declined.
Crosby was game and ready to go with a guy who is definitely more rugged, to me anyway, and had that eye of the tiger look and then Schenn doesnt oblige. Any Flyer that calls him a pansy should take a look at that and realize they had their chance and he came accross looking way better than any Flyer.
-The grabbing of Hartnell, he was chirping him and then backed it up.
-Post game interview, some true emotion and not blaming anyone or ref, just telling it like it is and saying he is gonna handle it his own way, not looking to make friends. Boy was that awesome.

All in all he had a great game, its too bad there were so many undisciplined penalties but man did I convert based on solely this game. I hope he stays this badass!!!
Someone that gets it. He was trying any and everything to get back in the game. At 7-4. It didn't matter. He was just willing to go to the showers and no one obliged.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustaf View Post
Just watched the post game reaction clip on TSN. Staal looks so defeated and done... and then, there is Crosby. Boy oh BOY, that guy sounded and looked as though wanted to individually rip a freaking hole through every single Flyer.

Love it.
Can you link this, i'd really love to see it. Seeing Sids otherside rather than his calm self is really interesting.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

God i hope so, and at Martin's expense.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Berube clearly did.

However. If I am Berube, I am doing the same. Neal needed to be punched in the face immediately and repeatedly. That will happen next game within the first 5 minutes.
Well, wait....you clearly can't be the victim and the aggressor at the same time. Half of you whine about poor Flyers and Pens being goons, half talk about going 1972 on us. So which one is it?

Old
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Sivek

I think it's pretty clear now that Sid don't give a **** about the media and being pc about stuff. Love the "I hate everyone on that team, that's why I knocked his glove away" quote. He knows that the a lot of the hockey media likes to bash whatever he does, so he's like **** it, heel turn not even trying to be a nice guy anymore.

I just hate that there was so much coverage from all the media types during his concussion comeback attempts about how it would be "great for the game" for him to be back, then once he's back, same media ***** all over him for everything he does.

God, if they somehow come back from 3-0, I will never ask for anything again...that is until they're losing the next series.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

- We have to wait until Wednesday until this **** show is over.

+ It will be over on Wednesday.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:45 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryb View Post
You guys think that the Pens will go after Suter? It's clear after these last 2 games that the current group is not cutting it.
I would be surprised if Suter goes anywhere. Not that I have my finger on the pulse of what's going on there, but the impression I got from interviews was that it wasn't so much about the money as it was about being on a team committed to contending for the Cup. Even if Radulov does go back to the KHL, the front office made some changes that indicate they're on the same page.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Lustaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Can you link this, i'd really love to see it. Seeing Sids otherside rather than his calm self is really interesting.
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip658997

PFFFFFT!

Old
04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Hear Me Now
YES! YES! YES!

I don't understand why they don't put the interesting Crosby on the penguins website, I had to go to TSN to watch it. I guess he only gets feisty with the canadian media, since they try to pin everything on him with their questions. It was hilarious, I hope he stays like this. Dude was telling the media off in that TSN interview....

Old
04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustaf View Post
Sid: I don't like them.

Reporter: Why don't you like them?

Sid: Cause I don't like them.

Needs more troll face.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I think it's pretty clear now that Sid don't give a **** about the media and being pc about stuff. Love the "I hate everyone on that team, that's why I knocked his glove away" quote. He knows that the a lot of the hockey media likes to bash whatever he does, so he's like **** it, heel turn not even trying to be a nice guy anymore.

I just hate that there was so much coverage from all the media types during his concussion comeback attempts about how it would be "great for the game" for him to be back, then once he's back, same media ***** all over him for everything he does.

God, if they somehow come back from 3-0, I will never ask for anything again...that is until they're losing the next series.
Did he just go NWO?

Old
04-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Alright, here we go... /cracksknuckles

- MAF: Give your ****ing team a chance, man. I'm not asking you to be Pekka Rinne and make 60 incredible saves and steal the game, just don't ****ing lose it. So many back-breaking goals. It's not like the defense is helping him out, but come the **** on. Again, I'm not asking for him to steal the games, I'm just asking him to make the poignant saves needed by a team fighting for the Cup, and to not be the deciding factor as to why we're losing games. When your team is averaging like 4+ goals a game, there's no way you should be down 0-3 in a best of seven series.

- The defense as a whole, both defensemen and forwards: A ****ing joke. The team should be embarrassed, and bag skated until they puke. Hell, it'll be the most work they've put in in weeks. They'll have all summer to recuperate after Wednesday anyway.

- Blueliners in particular:
  1. Orpik; Stop playing like an idiotic rookie who is prone to turnovers, getting out of position looking for the big hit, and making dumb decisions with the puck. You're better than that... Or at least I thought you were.
  2. Martin; ****ing do ANYTHING that resembles a defenseman that is making $5M/yr. I was one of Martin's biggest supporters, and was thrilled when Shero signed him. He's done everything humanly possible to embarrass me and make me look like a fool since. I'm done supporting him, the others were right. He's soft as Hell, frightened of puck battles and physicality, he's got zero going for him offensively, and he plays defense by utilizing stick-work and sound positioning, neither of which he has. Get rid of that ****ing bag of garbage this off-season.
  3. Letang; Stop acting like a ****ing soccer player, Kris. You're better than that. You're ****ing embarrassing the organization and feeding fuel to all the ****ing morons out there that claim the team is full of whiners and divers. Aside from acting like a ****ing tool, you're play on the ice has been **** lately as well. I've never seen a guy so naturally talented offensively have zero confidence in his abilities. If I had a dollar for every time I saw Kris Letang double clutch a shot/pass, or second guess himself on the PP or in the offensive zone, I'd have enough money to buy the Penguins. It's ****ing mind-boggling how piss poor his mental game is sometimes.

- Bylsma: It's just about to the breaking point with Dan. He's an awesome guy, and seems like he can keep the team loose and in good spirits, but he's a ****ing horrendous coach. He has no idea how to match lines, or get away from opposing teams' match-ups. He has NO idea how to utilize time outs correctly, AT ALL. He is the most stubborn coach I've ever seen when it comes to adjusting aspects of his system that aren't working (PK/PP, zone defense, etc). It might be time for a change behind the bench. He's got no excuses this season; everyone's healthy and the team was playing great hockey weeks before the playoffs. It all just fell apart and he had no idea how to fix anything. It's starting to look more and more like anyone could have coached us to a Cup in '09. It was more about the players turning it around after the coaching change than it was the actual coaching that was being done.

- Malkin: I don't care what anyone says, his play has been unacceptable. He's been absolutely humiliated by a 19 year old rookie, and that CANNOT, and SHOULD NOT happen to the guy who is the consensus pick for the Hart and the runaway winner of the Art Ross trophy. He looks like Alex Semin out there. All skill, no heart... And that ****ing sucks, because I love Geno. I have no idea what the Hell happened to him. It's like he's more than happy to take a back seat and coast around now that Sid's back. "Oh, it's fine, Sid will do all the work and win us the games now. I'll just relax." No, simply unacceptable. You are judged by your production when you're a player like Geno, and he's ******** the bed. Couturier is going to be phenomenal for a loooong time, but that's no excuse. Geno has dominated the entire league all season long, there is no way he shouldn't have half a dozen or more points by now. He's looked like **** in the other zones on the ice as well, it's not all about the scoresheet.

- Kunitz: The undisputed king of ****ing ridiculous and dumb penalties. He's done it all season, too. I literally almost punched a hole through my TV when he took that penalty in the offensive zone on the PP today. That's like the 10th time he's done that this season, and a penalty in the offensive zone on the PP is ****ing unforgivable, especially when it costs us on the scoreboard.

- Shero: He went all-in to try and revamp the defense after the Montreal debacle, and it backfired. It was fantastic last season when we had no offensive threat and had to win games by grinding them out, but it's been worse than atrocious this season. He needs to have a serious sit down and think about how the team is built this off-season. Orpik and Martin should be as good as gone, in my opinion. Try and go hard after Weber or Suter. The offense is just fine, as much as I and a lot of others would love to see a big name winger brought in. A stud, franchise defenseman who is great in all aspects of the game is what's going to get us over this post-Cup humiliation. This team needs to get MUCH better defensively, and it needs to get tougher to play against. We need to be a team guys won't be excited to play against, and a team the opposing trainers will have icebags ready and waiting after the game. We're not that right now, despite the circus that went on the past couple of games.

+ Sid: That postgame interview was ****ing awesome. Thank you, Sid.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:51 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

It will be interesting to see if the Flyers go after Neal and others for supposed dirty hits or if they realise that they were trolling the refs by staying down and not bother. If they do come after us, I would prefer if we let them take instigators and extra penalties for starting stuff. It might be a way of letting them get off their own game by trying to get us off of ours.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Did he just go NWO?
I hope so. Hope he does some off-season interview with Don Cherry and just starts beating him with a metal folding chair. Let the hockey media build somebody else up and **** on them.

Closed Thread