HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part V

View Poll Results: Choose your Destiny
Claude Julien 29 28.16%
Alain Vigneault 74 71.84%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM
  #226
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
Hi new GM,

I just want you to build our team in the Philadelphia Flyers mold.

Thanks, see you soon!

Hannibal is online now  
Old
04-15-2012, 05:51 PM
  #227
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Hi new GM,

I just want you to build our team in the Philadelphia Flyers mold.

Thanks, see you soon!
Trading an famous player with a bad contract to Columbus for a great return is a good start! But, not so sure about signing a 31 year old goalie until 2020...

Roulin is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 06:03 PM
  #228
VeganEarthlings
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: www.earthlings.com
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Yet, talent assessment was supposed to be Gauthier s strong point. Not only was it not so good at that but he was weak in all other facets of the GM job. You are kidding yourself thinking that the GMs job is all about talent assessment. Timmins does the Junior talent assessment (with his team) and the pro scouts does the NHL talent assessment. When was the last time you saw Gauthier or any other NHL GM go to a game in the Q or in the OHL? Those are extremely rare occasions.
We're talking about Bergevin here not Gauthier. It is beyond me why you keep referring to Gauthier, do you have some fetish for him? He's gone, so why keep brining him up, he's irrelevant now. Who said Bergevin went to a game in Q or the OHL? Clearly, some people have trouble sticking to the topic. Stop going off on irrelevant tangents.

I was discussing how Bergevin's peers consider him in the top 1% of talent evaluation, also that Bergevin has been climbing the ranks quickly, in addition to being Assistant GM for one of the best teams in the NHL (Blackhawks).

In fact, according to the following quote, Bergevin has been involved in the Blackhawks rebuild (since the start of the lockout). He's been part of a winning organization for quite some time.

Quote:
After his retirement, Bergevin was named a pro scout with the Blackhawks' organization. In 2008 he served as an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks after three seasons with their scouting staff. In July, 2009, he was appointed the team's Director of Player Personnel.[2] While in this position, he won the Stanley Cup in 2010 after five years working to build this team.
On June 15, 2011, Bergevin was promoted to the position of assistant General Manager of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Montreal requires a bilingual GM, name me other possible candidates. People are saying Robitaille, but why would he leave his family and job in LA (President of Business Operations)? Robitaille will not just get up and move his family (who are already established in LA), to a place like Montreal where the GM job is not likely to last more than 5 years (especially if the team is losing). Robitaille is not going to risk all that just for a GM job.

Then again, the same can be said for the rest of the candidates. Montreal is an entirely new beast, with much added stress and pressure. Just because someone is offered the GM position, does not mean they will accept.


Last edited by VeganEarthlings: 04-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
VeganEarthlings is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 06:04 PM
  #229
VeganEarthlings
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: www.earthlings.com
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Hi new GM,

I just want you to build our team in the Philadelphia Flyers mold.

Thanks, see you soon!
Let's wait until the playoffs are over, before we start praising the Flyers mold.

VeganEarthlings is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
  #230
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlingsDOTcom View Post
We're talking about Bergevin here not Gauthier. It is beyond me why you keep referring to Gauthier, do you have some fetish for him? He's gone, so why keep brining him up, he's irrelevant now. Who said Bergevin went to a game in Q or the OHL? Clearly, some people have trouble sticking to the topic. Stop going off on irrelevant tangents.

I was discussing how Bergevin's peers consider him in the top 1% of talent evaluation, also that Bergevin has been climbing the ranks quickly, in addition to being Assistant GM for one of the best teams in the NHL (Blackhawks).

In fact, according to the following quote, Bergevin has been involved in the Blackhawks rebuild (since the start of the lockout). He's been part of a winning organization for quite some time.

Keep referring to Gauthier? What are you talking about? You must have me confused with someone else? Or is this your version of a tangent?

Bergevin is a good option but certainly not head and shoulders ahead of anyone else. He has a bit of a limited exposure to an NHL management role. No one here ever posted anything documenting that Bergevin was part of the re-build since the lock-out. Do you have a link to support that at all (I mean a credible link, not a post on a discussion board)? I am sure other supporters of Bergevin would have posted it already? I am not against Bergevin at all, in fact, he is 2nd on my list....but like all candidates, he comes with his strengths and weaknesses.


Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 04-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
  #231
VeganEarthlings
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: www.earthlings.com
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Keep referring to Gauthier? What are you talking about? You must have me confused with someone else? .
You kept referring to Gauthier earlier. I was discussing how other ex-GM's considered Bergevin in the top 1% of talent evaluators, but you kept mentioning how Gauthier was "once-considered as having good talent evaluating skills but proved to be a bad choice in the end". I don't know why you referred to Gauthier when I'm talking about Bergevin, Bergevin is a different individual, and just because Gauthier failed does not mean Bergevin will fail. In fact, how do you even correlate the two? Both are not even connected. Bergevin has obviously proven to be a top talent evaluator, the Hawks won the Cup in 2010. Gauthier never won a cup in his 2+ decades of being in a management position.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Bergevin is a good option but certainly not head and shoulders ahead of anyone else. He has limited exposure to NHL management position. No one here ever posted anything documenting that Bergevin was part of the re-build since the lock-out. Do you have a link to support that at all? I am sure other supporters of Bergevin would have posted it already? I am not against Bergevin at all, in fact, he is 2nd on my list...

I just posted the quote from Bergevin's bio-profile which supports the fact that he was part of the rebuild (he's been part of the Hawks management staff since 2004-2005 - starting as a pro scout). Limited exposure/experience means nothing. Some guys have been in NHL management for decades without winning the Cup (i.e Gauthier).

Limited experience cannot be considered a weakness, nor can longtime experience be considered a strength. Some players/coaches/managers have been around for a long time without winning anything, meanwhile some managers/coaches/players win the Cup in their first year.

Quote:
After his retirement, Bergevin was named a pro scout with the Blackhawks' organization. In 2008 he served as an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks after three seasons with their scouting staff. In July, 2009, he was appointed the team's Director of Player Personnel.[2] While in this position, he won the Stanley Cup in 2010 after five years working to build this team.
On June 15, 2011, Bergevin was promoted to the position of assistant General Manager of the Chicago Blackhawks.
Bergevin retired in 2003-2004, which suggests he started as a pro scout with the Blackhawks in 2004-2005.


Last edited by VeganEarthlings: 04-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.
VeganEarthlings is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
  #232
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlingsDOTcom View Post
You kept referring to Gauthier earlier. I was discussing how other ex-GM's considered Bergevin in the top 1% of talent evaluators, but you kept mentioning how Gauthier was "once-considered as having good talent evaluating skills but proved to be a bad choice in the end". I don't know why you referred to Gauthier when I'm talking about Bergevin, Bergevin is a different individual, and just because Gauthier failed does not mean Bergevin will fail. In fact, how do you even correlate the two? Both are not even connected. Bergevin has obviously proven to be a top talent evaluator, the Hawks won the Cup in 2010. Gauthier never won a cup in his 2+ decades of being in a management position.

I just posted the quote from Bergevin's bio-profile which supports the fact that he was part of the rebuild (he's been part of the Hawks management staff since 2004-2005 - starting as a pro scout). Limited exposure/experience means nothing. Some guys have been in NHL management for decades without winning the Cup (i.e Gauthier).
Bergevin retired in 2003-2004, which suggests he started as a pro scout with the Blackhawks in 2004-2005.
So referring to Gauthier in discussion with you one time makes it keeping referring to him? Are you kidding me? and obviously, the point I was making was not understood or you are simply refusing to acknowledge the point (either way). The quote you posted was a posting on this board. There was no link or reference with it. Do not look now, but you just referred to Gauthier 6 times in one posting!

My whole point is that Bergevin, while an interesting candidate does not possess anything at this time that makes him head and shoulder above any of the other candidates. He and Brisebois and perhaps Loiselle may end up the top 3 (or not) and the interview is what will separate them. They are not waiting for the Hawks to be eliminated to name him GM as you suggested but they may be waiting for that elimination to give him a shot at an interview.....

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 06:54 PM
  #233
VeganEarthlings
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: www.earthlings.com
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
So referring to Gauthier in discussion with you one time makes it keeping referring to him? Are you kidding me? and obviously, the point I was making was not understood or you are simply refusing to acknowledge the point (either way). The quote you posted was a posting on this board. There was no link or reference with it. Do not look now, but you just referred to Gauthier 5 times in one posting!

My whole point is that Bergevin, while an interesting candidate does not possess anything at this time that makes him head and shoulder above any of the other candidates. He and Brisebois and perhaps Loiselle may end up the top 3 (or not) and the interview is what will separate them. They are not waiting for the Hawks to be eliminated to name him GM as you suggested but they may be waiting for that elimination to give him a shot at an interview.....
It wasn't one time, you did it multiple times. I just identified the point you tried to make in my previous post.

I'll quote myself, rather than repeating, but this was the point you tried to make.

Quote:
You kept referring to Gauthier earlier. I was discussing how other ex-GM's considered Bergevin in the top 1% of talent evaluators, but you kept mentioning how Gauthier was "once-considered as having good talent evaluating skills but proved to be a bad choice in the end". I don't know why you referred to Gauthier when I'm talking about Bergevin, Bergevin is a different individual, and just because Gauthier failed does not mean Bergevin will fail. In fact, how do you even correlate the two? Both are not even connected. Bergevin has obviously proven to be a top talent evaluator, the Hawks won the Cup in 2010. Gauthier never won a cup in his 2+ decades of being in a management position.

That quote I posted was from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Bergevin

Also, here's a link from the Blackhawk's website (a credible source).

Quote:
Marc Bergevin is in his seventh season with the Blackhawks and his first as Assistant General Manager after being named to the position on June 15, 2011. Bergevin has held various other positions in the organization, most recently as Director of Player Personnel.

Bergevin, a Montreal native, served as an Assistant Coach on Joel Quenneville’s staff during the 2008-09 campaign. He also spent three years on the Blackhawks scouting staff, including one as Director of Pro Scouting during the 2007-08 season.
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47739

Bergevin has been part of their organization (starting as pro scout and climbing the ranks) for 7 years.

VeganEarthlings is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #234
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlingsDOTcom View Post
It wasn't one time, you did it multiple times. I just identified the point you tried to make in my previous post.

I'll quote myself, rather than repeating, but this was the point you tried to make.




That quote I posted was from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Bergevin

Also, here's a link from the Blackhawk's website (a credible source).



http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47739

Bergevin has been part of their organization (starting as pro scout and climbing the ranks) for 7 years.
Its a nice progression. He acquired some nice skills in the process I am sure. I noticed this is his first year as assistant GM (thought it was 2 and there is no reference to him being the GM of the AHL team...) and his scouting was pro and did not include junior scouting (Not necessarily a negative since GMs do not perform junior scouting anyway). Not sure if one translates directly to the other. Other candidates were GM in the AHL or have other skills and experiences (some have far more time spent in Management as an example). While Bergevin is nice, its really the interview process that will dictate who is the best candidate. Either Brisebois or Bergevin would make me happy (I have them in that order) and others have a different order and names on their list. No one is running away with this race and the habs are very unlikely to be waiting to sign someone they have probably yet to interview (after the Hawks playoff run?).

Thanks for the links. There was some details in there I was not fully familiar with.


Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 04-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 07:55 PM
  #235
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
First, if anything, if Roy could attract all the spotlights on him instead of the players, I know a bunch of playes who will be damn happy to see that happening.
That's what we'll have to hope happens. It might work for a while but you've got to know that it's only temporary. This isn't the Olympics where Gretzky can get up and pull this stunt with a five day tournament. The press isn't going to stop pursuing stories on individual players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Then, Roy, and his ego, are still to this day riding a freakin bus all over Quebec for the past how many years now? And he's not taking the plane while his players are going on bus. He does that for the right reasons. So he has a temper. It's about freakin time that somebody on this ****ing team has a temper. Every team that wins happens to have some people who does whether it's management, coaching or players. He needs to control it, which he'll do 'cause he's not stupid and realize he's in the NHL and if he wants to stay, he'll have to control it.
He's lost it a few times already in the Q. And by 'lost it' I mean gone completely bonkers.

How's that going to sit with our younger players? Maybe it works... but there's a strong possibililty that he pisses people right off. You say look at Pat Burns, I can say look at Mario Tremblay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Personnally, I see him as a winner, as a guy who does not accept laziness, as guy who will be able to transmit this to his players and will not accept failure.
This is pretty much the only thing that gives me hope should we hire him. I'm sure he'll want to win and I'm sure he'll do all he can to help us win.

Then again, I thought the same thing of Guy Carbonneau...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Add the fact that there's a limit to what a coach can do. We're seeing it with Bylsma this year. So I read people and you'd think that the coach will single handidly change the course of this team. He will help. But he'll need the players to do so. He'll need the goalie to stop the puck.
A coach can run players out of town. A coach can alienate players and destroy the culture and make players not want to come. A coach can play the wrong system for the team he has (see Washington) The thought of him lecturing to Price or Subban scares the hell out of me.

You can spin it positive. And like I've said... maybe you're right. I HOPE you're right. But to me, there's too much baggage here and we can just go with somebody else. Let Roy learn someplace else. We can always take him on his 2nd go round if it works out. Because even if we wipe away all the 'additional stuff' we've talked about, he's still not as experienced as some of the coaches out there who I think will be available by the time the playoffs are over.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 08:42 PM
  #236
Habitualwinner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Go read my note again. I said he was not part of those decisions in Montreal. As assistant GM in Montreal, his role was confined to contracts, CBA and cap rules interpretation. Then later got involved with Hockey Operations. In Hamilton as a GM, he had a definite role in players movement, trades and talent assessment. Here is the key sentence that should have given you a clue that we were talking about Montreal (That is a big upgrade in roles for an assistant GM, if you ask me.). It does not say GM in Hamilton, it says Assistant GM....the Montreal portion of his role.

Oh and the experts are all in the public domain and published for all to see (not some hearsay from coworkers that may know someone who know someone who told them - if that was even true to begin with).
Congratulations, you just validated anyone and everyone who posts on these boards or throughout Twitter as an expert because they are in the public domain.
Why do you continue to disparage my colleagues? I have been in contact with a moderator to verify my sources. I don't understand why you bring this a personal level.

I will also correct you on the work Brisebois did in Hamilton. He was told who to bring up (to MTL) or send down (to CIN). He was doing the administrative paperwork, he was not making decisions based on an assessment of hockey ability. That came from others. What are the trades he made on his own volition with the MTL organization? Please name one.

As you appear to know so much, you (of course) realize there are very few trades within the AHL. The esteemed Mr.Brisebois made 1 (one) trade this year with his expanded role in Norfolk. The rest of the transactions were recalls and reassignments.

Habitualwinner is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:00 PM
  #237
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
Congratulations, you just validated anyone and everyone who posts on these boards or throughout Twitter as an expert because they are in the public domain.
Why do you continue to disparage my colleagues? I have been in contact with a moderator to verify my sources. I don't understand why you bring this a personal level.

I will also correct you on the work Brisebois did in Hamilton. He was told who to bring up (to MTL) or send down (to CIN). He was doing the administrative paperwork, he was not making decisions based on an assessment of hockey ability. That came from others. What are the trades he made on his own volition with the MTL organization? Please name one.

As you appear to know so much, you (of course) realize there are very few trades within the AHL. The esteemed Mr.Brisebois made 1 (one) trade this year with his expanded role in Norfolk. The rest of the transactions were recalls and reassignments.
You're pretty tough to follow. So Brisebois has NOTHING to do since he just respected the order giving to him, yet he is TOTALLY at fault for that unethical behavior you were talking about? And you are absolutely sure that it was his own and personal decision to be that unethical and that it wasn't coming from upstairs? That he was just not waiting for a decision coming from those guys? And again, maybe I missed the memo, but did you come with real examples of how bad an evaluator he was? 'Cause if he was never taken any decisions whatosever, how the heck do we know how good or bad he was at evaluating players?

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
  #238
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 24,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
Congratulations, you just validated anyone and everyone who posts on these boards or throughout Twitter as an expert because they are in the public domain.
Why do you continue to disparage my colleagues? I have been in contact with a moderator to verify my sources. I don't understand why you bring this a personal level.

I will also correct you on the work Brisebois did in Hamilton. He was told who to bring up (to MTL) or send down (to CIN). He was doing the administrative paperwork, he was not making decisions based on an assessment of hockey ability. That came from others. What are the trades he made on his own volition with the MTL organization? Please name one.

As you appear to know so much, you (of course) realize there are very few trades within the AHL. The esteemed Mr.Brisebois made 1 (one) trade this year with his expanded role in Norfolk. The rest of the transactions were recalls and reassignments.
Just a warning for anyone else. HabitualWinner's story is being labeled legit and his source has been confirmed. I'm not saying you can't doubt the story, that's your right, but calling him a liar outright will be considered flaming.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:06 PM
  #239
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
So by your own admission he is at 21 months of experience in these key areas.
That is not a strong enough resume to entrust hockey's greatest franchise.

Compare this with, say Marc Bergevin who has almost 5 full years in roles in which talent evaluation is paramount. This is in addition to 20 years as a player.

I will take Bergevin any day of the week over Brisebois (and twice on Sundays)
It is one thing to prefer a candidate over another one. It is another to totally discredit a guy based on what 2 guys said while most of thier points are NOT based on actual facts but mostly on the fact that he's just a suit, a pencil pusher that never played the game. Seems more like a personal vendetta than anything else. See, I'm not even debating if you do indeed know those guys are not. Maybe. Surely. Yet, for the sake of the argument I do believe you. But their arguments, which clearly seems to be yours as well, seems to be based on everything but actual facts. Yeah, sometimes, perception is reality. Not everytime though.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
  #240
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
Congratulations, you just validated anyone and everyone who posts on these boards or throughout Twitter as an expert because they are in the public domain.
Why do you continue to disparage my colleagues? I have been in contact with a moderator to verify my sources. I don't understand why you bring this a personal level.

I will also correct you on the work Brisebois did in Hamilton. He was told who to bring up (to MTL) or send down (to CIN). He was doing the administrative paperwork, he was not making decisions based on an assessment of hockey ability. That came from others. What are the trades he made on his own volition with the MTL organization? Please name one.

As you appear to know so much, you (of course) realize there are very few trades within the AHL. The esteemed Mr.Brisebois made 1 (one) trade this year with his expanded role in Norfolk. The rest of the transactions were recalls and reassignments.
So, to be clear, my sentence did not say everyone in the public domain is an expert, it said the experts are in the public domain. Its really not a complicated sentence to understand....and yet...

AHL GM have the responsibilities for signing players (not all AHL players are owned by provided by the NHL team, did you know that?) and have a role to play in assessing AHL talent for the NHL team. So the GMs role for a farm team is resembling their counterpart in the NHL in many ways. Sure some directives on player movement are provided by the NHL GM as it relates to players own by the NHL team but players owned by the AHL team is the accountability of the AHL GM. Also, the AHL GM is continuously providing the NHL GM information on players owned by the NHL team in terms of personal makeup, chemistry, athletic development and hockey skills development. They indeed have an important role in talent assessment.

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:23 PM
  #241
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Just a warning for anyone else. HabitualWinner's story is being labeled legit and his source has been confirmed. I'm not saying you can't doubt the story, that's your right, but calling him a liar outright will be considered flaming.
Thank you for the clarification. My stand is that there is nothing out there that I can find in any Google search referring to this kind of incidents....typically, these things tend to come out, even if it is in the form of a minor story. I will remain a doubter at this time.

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:24 PM
  #242
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
So if the Flyers sweep the Pens does Bylsma get fired and become a coaching candidate?

Right now, depending on how the playoffs go we're looking at perhaps Vigneault, Tippett, maybe Ruff (probably not) and now maybe Bylsma. Bylsma seems to like a rough game. He always makes sure the fighters get into the game, and he's a coach that definitely wants his players to take a pound of flesh when losing. Pens start a lot of ****.

I doubt he speaks French though, and while for GM Montreal should look at all candidates regardless of language, I think the coach does need to speak French.

MarkovsKnee is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:36 PM
  #243
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
This is an excerpt from my previous post, forwarding the benefits of knowledge as provided to me by 2 ex-players:

"Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had no future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL levels.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.
******************

I wish people would just move on from Brisebois. He is not the man for the job.
Basically any currently mentioned candidate OTHER than Brisebois would be preferable.

Former Player#1 told me last week that Brisebois negotiated in bad faith with 2 of his former teammates. In both cases these players were considering offers from other clubs (AHL and Europe) and needed an answer from Brisebois by a specific date. He promised to send offers to their agents with enough time to review options. Those offers came several days after their respective deadlines with $5-10,000 reductions from previous salaries. When you perform to expectations at a salary of $65,000 and you get cut to $55,000-$60,000 it leaves a bad taste. The tactics of Brisebois sound to me very "Gauthieresque".

Anyone but Brisebois please.
So this has been verified? Okay.

If so then uh, Brisebois sounds less attractive than he did. Gauthier part 2? No thanks.

One thing that I think we should be looking for is somebody who understands talent. That's why I've been wondering about Timmins as a possible candidate. Based on what I've seen and read Timmins has been overruled on prospects and trades to our detriment. The McD disaster is example A.

I'm not sure who your connections are or who you've been talking to but is there any thoughts about adding Timmins to the list of candidates? Any idea if Timmins is even interested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It is one thing to prefer a candidate over another one. It is another to totally discredit a guy based on what 2 guys said while most of thier points are NOT based on actual facts but mostly on the fact that he's just a suit, a pencil pusher that never played the game. Seems more like a personal vendetta than anything else. See, I'm not even debating if you do indeed know those guys are not. Maybe. Surely. Yet, for the sake of the argument I do believe you. But their arguments, which clearly seems to be yours as well, seems to be based on everything but actual facts. Yeah, sometimes, perception is reality. Not everytime though.
Good point. Still interesting to hear this insight though.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-15-2012, 10:46 PM
  #244
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,149
vCash: 500
Julien BriseBois? HELL NOOOOO

HH is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 12:10 AM
  #245
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Morgantown WV via NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Based on how things are going, I guess we can see Vigneault out of Vancouver possibly? Maybe it's just a pipe dream, but maybe we can give him another try? I doubt it, though.

Galchenyuk27 is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
  #246
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Based on how things are going, I guess we can see Vigneault out of Vancouver possibly? Maybe it's just a pipe dream, but maybe we can give him another try? I doubt it, though.
they really havent replaced Ehroff. Edler has been brutal. Would be a mistake to fire him.

JackZap is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 01:01 AM
  #247
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Morgantown WV via NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I don't doubt any of those things, in fact I agree with all of them, but do you see it outside of the realm of possibility?

I don't. I am not really saying to look at Vigneault WHEN he is fired, but definitely IF he is.

Galchenyuk27 is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 01:22 AM
  #248
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
they really havent replaced Ehroff. Edler has been brutal. Would be a mistake to fire him.
It would be, but there isn't much left to do, unless they blow the team up. Easier to fire the coach. If that doesn't help (which it won't) then attention is turned to the GM, and he will either get the chance to make changes or he will be the next to go.

I think Vigneault would be great in Montreal, but the GM needs to be chosen first, and then he'll decide on the coach

Hemlor is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 02:43 AM
  #249
Alexei Yashvalev
Registered User
 
Alexei Yashvalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Someone's head will have to roll if the Canucks get swept. I bet it's the coach.

Alexei Yashvalev is offline  
Old
04-16-2012, 05:16 AM
  #250
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Longueuil, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
Someone's head will have to roll if the Canucks get swept. I bet it's the coach.
do you think the next vancouver coach will speak mandarin?

edit: it's a joke

ClasslessGuy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.