Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we resign Iggy?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Thumper17

vCash: 500
Do we resign Iggy?

This is actually a bit of a strange question to answer. People are split on trading, but do we resign him or let him walk? Will he accept the lower salary and Term he'll likely be getting?

It's going to be interesting seeing how that turns out.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:53 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

If you don't trade him you have to resign him. You cannot lose that asset at this point.

The big question is what do you sign him at? 3 years is likely his shelf life. You might be able to squeeze one more, but that will likely see him as a spot player. So three years at $9M (4-3-2)? Remember, you're not paying Iginla for what he has done, you're paying him for what he should do in the future.

Another question to consider is how long do you negotiate and wait for Iginla to make a decision on whether he signs before you find the sack to shop him around? If he doesn't put his John Hancock on a contract extension by Christmas do you see the writing on the wall and not assume the risk of losing him for nothing?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Medium Rare*

I have said it before and will again, I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked to see Iginla sign an extension on July 1st.

If we aren't trading him, then we have to re-sign him, I would not just let him walk for nothing.

And of course he is going to take less money, he is not a $7 million player anymore.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
mjw22

If he wont waive his nt let him walk. We need to move past the Iggy era. Why sign him for another 3 when he hasnt done much in the last 3 makes no sense. Use that 3-4 million on an up and coming player not a guy playing out the string.Keeping guys past the best before date is why we are in this mess hey why not give him another nt while youre at it

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:19 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
If he wont waive his nt let him walk. We need to move past the Iggy era. Why sign him for another 3 when he hasnt done much in the last 3 makes no sense. Use that 3-4 million on an up and coming player not a guy playing out the string.Keeping guys past the best before date is why we are in this mess hey why not give him another nt while youre at it
LOL what?
In the last three years
Iggy has 107 goals 115 assists and ppg .9

I am not against reducing his role ONCE we have someone to replace him with but to say he hasn't done much is a moronic statement but considering who said it I am not surprised.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:35 AM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
If we don't trade him, you re-sign him, no questions asked. You don't lose a future Hall of Famer for nothing.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Actually, I don't see it as a 'if we don't trade him' issue...

We should re-sign ASAP (i.e. after July 1st) regardless of whether the plan is to keep him or trade him.

Then, if he is staying, the risk of him walking, and the year long media circus that would ensue, are eliminated.

And if he is to be traded, an extension makes him more attractive to other teams as they don't have to worry about the risk of him being a one year rental.

Three years at about $4m per sounds about right to me (5-4-3 maybe?). It might take a bit more than that.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
Actually, I don't see it as a 'if we don't trade him' issue...

We should re-sign ASAP (i.e. after July 1st) regardless of whether the plan is to keep him or trade him.

Then, if he is staying, the risk of him walking, and the year long media circus that would ensue, are eliminated.

And if he is to be traded, an extension makes him more attractive to other teams as they don't have to worry about the risk of him being a one year rental.

Three years at about $4m per sounds about right to me (5-4-3 maybe?). It might take a bit more than that.
actually signing him to a 3 year deal would probably hinder his value since his next deal will be a 35+ contract. But Signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal would be fine.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
The team obviously is going to do everything in their power to re-sign him, but I don't think it's a surety that Iginla re-signs here. He may love the Flames but he also wants to win the Cup. If Calgary misses the playoffs again next year, I think even he'll come to realize that it's simply not going to happen here.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
actually signing him to a 3 year deal would probably hinder his value since his next deal will be a 35+ contract. But Signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal would be fine.
If the extension is signed before he turns 35 is it still a 35+ contract?

If so, my mistake and then, yes, keep it to 2 years.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:19 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
If the extension is signed before he turns 35 is it still a 35+ contract?

If so, my mistake and then, yes, keep it to 2 years.
His contract isn't officially signed until next july 1st so yes he will be 35.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Xelstyle

If not traded, resign. To have a Modano or Sundin situation is just painful to watch.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote