HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nystrom's OT Cup-winning goal was offisdes?

Old
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Darth Bangkok

vCash: 500
Nystrom's OT Cup-winning goal was offisdes?

I was just reading this article on TSN by Kerry Fraser about the Briere goal last night: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=392960

Quote:
People in Philadelphia still vilify linesman Leon Stickle for missing the offside goal in overtime scored by Bob Nystrom to end the series and give the Stanley Cup to the NY Islanders. You won't convince any of the Flyers faithful that Danny Briere's offside goal in Pittsburgh last night provides any consolation to the 1980 Stanley Cup they feel was stolen from their grasp by Stickle's infamous missed call.
What the hell? I never heard this before. I just watched on youtube, it didn't look offsides to me. Does anyone know anything about this?

EDIT: Wait, maybe this should be deleted. Fraser was talking about the second goal of the game I think. Not the overtime goal?

from wikipedia "The Islanders were offside on the play that resulted in their second goal of Game 6, but the call was not made. Linesman Leon Stickle admitted after the game that he had blown the call.[1]"

http://counterarguments.blogspot.com...-offsides.html

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
startainfection

.No.

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
I was just reading this article on TSN by Kerry Fraser about the Briere goal last night: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=392960

What the hell? I never heard this before. I just watched on youtube, it didn't look offsides to me. Does anyone know anything about this?

EDIT: Wait, maybe this should be deleted. Fraser was talking about the second goal of the game I think. Not the overtime goal?

from wikipedia "The Islanders were offside on the play that resulted in their second goal of Game 6, but the call was not made. Linesman Leon Stickle admitted after the game that he had blown the call.[1]"

Wikipedia is accurate here. They were way offside on goal #2 that day.
No blown call, dynasty may never have started...maybe that's why the Isles seem to get so many bad calls now. Karmic payback.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
19 Straight

Brent Sutter's goal earlier in the game should not have counted because the Islanders were offsides. To say it cost the Flyers the game is somewhat ridiculous, however. Each goal or non goal changes the way the game is played.

Nystrom's goal was clean as can be.

19 Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 Straight View Post
Brent Sutter's goal earlier in the game should not have counted because the Islanders were offsides. To say it cost the Flyers the game is somewhat ridiculous, however. Each goal or non goal changes the way the game is played.
Perhaps less ridiculous than attributing the goal to Brent Sutter, who didn't play for the Islanders at all in 1979-80.

It was Duane.

And note my use of the word "MAY" in "dynasty MAY never have started." Didn't say it cost the Flyers the game. We'll never know, will we?

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Pnut

There was a blown call, but no one can go back in time. There is an assumption that the Flyers would have won the next game, even if they got out of game 6. it is all here say and fantasy. If I could go back in time andchange things I would warn Pierre Turgeon to watch out for ****-bucket Dale Hunter. Oh well.

Too bad so sad.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:02 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

7:11 of OT is a hallowed time for the Isles and should never be questioned. The goal in regulation was definitely offsides, but that missed call is just one in many during the course of any game.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
doublechili

That mixup has become almost an urban legend here in Philly. A lot of people now say it was the Nystrom Cup-winning goal that was offsides, but as others have said Nystrom's goal was clearly onsides. But I guess that makes a better story.

It was Duane Sutter's 2nd period goal that was offsides (a drop pass between Goring and Gillies at the blueline went out and then back into the zone). I was sitting at the other end of the rink, 150 feet away at ice level (IOW, I had a way worse view than Leon Stickle), and after the goal celebration I turned to my dad and said, "that looked offsides". I hope to one day be able to tell that story to Ed Snider.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:21 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit View Post
Perhaps less ridiculous than attributing the goal to Brent Sutter, who didn't play for the Islanders at all in 1979-80.

It was Duane.

And note my use of the word "MAY" in "dynasty MAY never have started." Didn't say it cost the Flyers the game. We'll never know, will we?
Nope we will never know and didn't know I had a near namesake (19 straight vs 19 in a row), time to add an avatar lol....

I know flyer fans have mentioned this to me every time the cups come up... Gillies skates it over, passes to goring who passes to Sutter, not a breakaway but may have been offsides. The isles built a 4-2 lead so who knows if they would have been more aggressive if only 3-2 (the first goal the isles got looked more questionable than sutter's as potvin may have batted in with a high stick).. tons of penalties in that first period, flyers first goal was on a 5-3 where they got nystrom for extra 2 because he retaliated after refs missed a punch on morrow

not only did they win 4 in a row but the record in the finals for those 4 years was 16-3 with no game 7s...they were the best team even a year or 2 before they won it in 80 but needed to learn how to win.. damn it brings back memories to watch those games. I was a trottier guy but loved bourne as well, watching on youtube now i remember how sweet he skated (his knock was he couldn't finish but still had much better hands than grabs.)

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Darth Bangkok

Thanks everyone for the answers and the discussion. I watched that video so many times thinking "what the hell is Fraser talking about?".

Like was said, who knows how the third period would have been played if the score was 3-2 at the start and not 4-2. Maybe Philly ties it, but maybe also the Isles get pissed and have enough time to win in regulation too.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:59 PM
BillD

Point is.....the F'ers came back to tie the game, sending it to OT.
The Nystrom goal was definitive, as clean as can be.
At no point in this game were the F'ers ahead.

Oh, they also ***** about the Potvin goal being put in with a "stick above the shoulders".
Philly......Waaaaah

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:26 PM
malPHONEY

Yeah, it's ridiculous hindsight for Flyers fans to believe that they would win the Cup if the goal was disallowed.

The game would be completely changed by a disallowed goal.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Draftman

Watch the game winner for yourself. Clearly on-sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lobBEhKOGAk

Draftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
We won. They lost. The cup was ours. Close the thread.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Islanderfan17

Looks pretty clearly on sides to me, I think Flyers fans were just grasping at straws and not surprisingly so considering it was in such a big moment. I think we'd probably do the same thing in their situation, but if you look at it a bunch of times its very obviously on sides.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post

There was a goal that was offsides in that game, but it wasn't that goal. I believe it was Duane Sutter who scored a goal that was about 1 foot offside, but Nystrom's goal was clearly onside.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote