HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 11:30 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I knew about the shot, but didn't realize he was that strong defensively as well. They have some players coming off the books, like Wolski and Sturm, so it is likely that they end up resigning him, but hopefully he hits the market.
Ehh, I kinda think he is going to get overpaid this summer. Unless we can make him the priority and convince him to sign while everyone else is pursuing Suter. Otherwise I think he might be plan B for a lot of the teams that miss out on Suter.

I'm sure playing with a stud PMD like Brian Campbell has helped his stats, but its not like Pietrangelo is a slouch in that department.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Jason Garrison, UFA. Shutdown all-situation defender, truly one of the best defenders in the league, absolute potent bomb of a shot.

If the Blues paid him 5M I'd call it a great signing. If they could get him for high 4s even better, but he won't go lower than that and shouldn't.
I can see no way which Florida lets him go unless:

A) Young Mr. Garrison has some sort of dislike for Florida
or
B) Someone comes along and offers around 6/year for his services. Perhaps whoever is left on the outside looking in on the Suter bidding.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Ehh, I kinda think he is going to get overpaid this summer. Unless we can make him the priority and convince him to sign while everyone else is pursuing Suter. Otherwise I think he might be plan B for a lot of the teams that miss out on Suter.

I'm sure playing with a stud PMD like Brian Campbell has helped his stats, but its not like Pietrangelo is a slouch in that department.
Take a look at that link I provided. You'll see his goals are not being artificially inflated by Brian Campbell. He's a guy you want primarily for defense, not scoring. That he also has a frightening point shot is just a thing that opposing defenses are forced to gameplan. The rest of the division would NOT be happy if the Blues added Garrison.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:44 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Any chance of getting him to take 4.5 for 2-3 years, or is it 5 or bust?

Old
04-15-2012, 11:51 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Well who knows, but it's highest bidder territory, and the guy's a gem. He's done it for two full years and is a big part of that team's success. We all know what happens when you add a top defenseman who can defend and score and play tons of minutes in all situations against top players.

I have a feeling 2-3 years is way too short a deal. If you want 2-3 years better give him 6+ because players will take shorter term when they're on their prime-age cash in deal (which this is) only if they're incentivized. I think 5 years, 5.5M is probably what he'll get from someone given the way UFA tends to go.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:52 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Having watched Carlo for the rest of the season, is this your final answer?
lol, well he still isn't as bad as some make him out to be, but I would take out the word criminally. He is more of playing above his level. He is a 2nd pairing, playing on the 1st pairing, kinda like Jackman over the past few seasons.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:53 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Take a look at that link I provided. You'll see his goals are not being artificially inflated by Brian Campbell. He's a guy you want primarily for defense, not scoring. That he also has a frightening point shot is just a thing that opposing defenses are forced to gameplan. The rest of the division would NOT be happy if the Blues added Garrison.
Well, they aren't constantly feeding him on the PP like Weber, but still. I mean, the dude scored twice as many goals this year as he had his entire career.

I would love to add Garrison. At the right price.

I'm not sure that I'd be willing to commit $5 million a year for a 3+ years for a guy with 59 points in 190 career games.

I think that some GM will overpay for him, likely a big market team that misses out on Suter. And if Suter resigns in Nashville, Garrison might be the biggest name blueliner on the block.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'd say he is going to get 5 years, give or take a year. I'd say 5 million, give or take .5 million.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:58 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
I'd say he is going to get 5 years, give or take a year. I'd say 5 million, give or take .5 million.
And that is why I'd stay away. We just won the Jennings trophy. With all the contracts that will come up in the next five years, do we really want to invest $25 million on the blueline this off-season?

At $5 million a year, Jason Garrison, with his career high of 33 points (this season) would be the highest paid player on the team. $4.5 million is Backes money.

If we pay Garrison $5 million a year, how much will Petro and Shatty want when their contracts are up?

Old
04-16-2012, 12:03 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

I see one of our goalies walking out on us EASILY ! and Stewart going but I rather keep him for another year

Old
04-16-2012, 12:05 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
And that is why I'd stay away. We just won the Jennings trophy. With all the contracts that will come up in the next five years, do we really want to invest $25 million on the blueline this off-season?

At $5 million a year, Jason Garrison, with his career high of 33 points (this season) would be the highest paid player on the team. $4.5 million is Backes money.

If we pay Garrison $5 million a year, how much will Petro and Shatty want when their contracts are up?
That's what the open market does to players values. He probably should get 4 million, but everyone gets an inflated deal on today's open market.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:05 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknB View Post
I see one of our goalies walking out on us EASILY ! and Stewart going but I rather keep him for another year
Explain.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:06 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
both are how do you say, under contract

Old
04-16-2012, 12:09 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Lets say some team offers something ridiculous for Elliott...wonder what happens

Old
04-16-2012, 12:10 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
That's what the open market does to players values. He probably should get 4 million, but everyone gets an inflated deal on today's open market.
No, 4M is a bargain for signing him. UFA does get crazy, but he's earned a serious payday.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:14 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
No, 4M is a bargain for signing him. UFA does get crazy, but he's earned a serious payday.
If he resigns with Florida before free agency, I'd expect a cap hit of 4-4.5, but I remember the report of him wanting at least 5, so I bet he hits the open market, and gets what he wants.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:32 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

Quote:
both are how do you say, under contract
LOL I know that but if Elliott is gonna compete for the starter well I dont see Halak staying he can ask for a trade right ?! He doesn't want to be a "tandem" or a backup
SAME FOR ELLIOTT ! but that's up to him now to perform and steal the Job its OBVIOUS that both of them wants to play !!!!

Old
04-16-2012, 12:36 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
LOL I know that but if Elliott is gonna compete for the starter well I dont see Halak staying he can ask for a trade right ?! He doesn't want to be a "tandem" or a backup
SAME FOR ELLIOTT ! but that's up to him now to perform and steal the Job its OBVIOUS that both of them wants to play !!!!
Just because someone asks for a trade, doesn't mean they get to be traded. Regardless, winning solves everything, if next season they continue to play like this, and we are winning the division and near the top in the league, there won't be a problem.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:37 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

Quote:
Lets say some team offers something ridiculous for Elliott...wonder what happens
I think that with his stats Elliott wants at least try again to be a starter I dont know but I have a feeling ....

Old
04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Actually I doubt that.

As much as we fans have truly enjoyed the absolutely stunningly stellar play so far by the goaltending duo of the Blues, hopefully both goalies realize that, frankly, neither one of them are studly enough to go through an entire season. Halak wears down too quickly and Elliot needs to prove he can play this well for more than a single season.

So, unless some team comes in and just massively overpays I see no conceivable way the Blues are without their pair of goalies next year.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:41 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

Quote:
Just because someone asks for a trade, doesn't mean they get to be traded. Regardless, winning solves everything, if next season they continue to play like this, and we are winning the division and near the top in the league, there won't be a problem.
Normally players do get traded when they ask it ... Dont they ?
Anyways Winning is GREAT actually Haha for us FANS but usually hockey players want to contribute by PLAYING ! no one likes the bench these days ... I I was just saying btw dont freak out on me ... Pliz :S

Old
04-16-2012, 12:46 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

Quote:
Actually I doubt that.

As much as we fans have truly enjoyed the absolutely stunningly stellar play so far by the goaltending duo of the Blues, hopefully both goalies realize that, frankly, neither one of them are studly enough to go through an entire season. Halak wears down too quickly and Elliot needs to prove he can play this well for more than a single season.

So, unless some team comes in and just massively overpays I see no conceivable way the Blues are without their pair of goalies next year.
Exactly but dont you think that they want to ... TRY IT ! As I said before depends on what BOTH REALLY want right now and YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN

Old
04-16-2012, 12:50 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Normally players do get traded when they ask it ... Dont they ?
Anyways Winning is GREAT actually Haha for us FANS but usually hockey players want to contribute by PLAYING ! no one likes the bench these days ... I I was just saying btw dont freak out on me ... Pliz :S
I mean, if what you brought up was true, why would Elliott have signed a 2 year extension with us, at such a good price. Elliott is probably glad we gave him a chance after the season he had before. He is enjoying hockey again, so I seriously doubt he starts giving trade demands. I'm not freaking out on you, just giving you the other side.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:52 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

Quote:
Actually I doubt that.

Well Halak has only one Truly
season under his belt as a starter
and he was Ok considering the injurie bug and same for Elliott With a great defense he can be more than OK but that's just my opinion tho

Old
04-16-2012, 12:54 AM
BlacknB
Rookie User

Quote:
I mean, if what you brought up was true, why would Elliott have signed a 2 year extension with us, at such a good price. Elliott is probably glad we gave him a chance after the season he had before. He is enjoying hockey again, so I seriously doubt he starts giving trade demands. I'm not freaking out on you, just giving you the other side.
I was talking about the other one

Closed Thread