HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL T.V. graphics (not proposing a glowing puck)

Old
04-15-2012, 01:08 PM
RaskY
GLG

vCash: 500
I actually kind of like that idea, but maybe just when the face-off is about to be taken to show who's on the ice. Then it fades away as the puck is dropped.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Very poorly done graphic but I did this idea.

Taken from the epic moment which happened during Sharks/Blues game. You would need to know the numbers though.
This is pretty much what I had in mind. Maybe organize the numbers by position so you can at least match the number to the position they play, and as the game progresses you can match the name to the number and position.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:50 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post

Had a little free time, so did fast photoshop to show how it might look. Don't whine about the graphic quality or if I got some players name wrong (don't really follow either team).

So essentially, I think it would be best if the names are only shown when players are clearly separated from each other. They wouldn't be on all the time, instead for example during faceoffs, rushes or powerplays (when everybody's in position).

Or the other option is to add depth, like I did with Cooke's name. That way they would seem like a seamless part of the play, instead of looking like stickers stuck onto the screen. As you can see, I did it with Cooke but not the Flyer faceoff man, just to compare.

In a way it's kind of strange, I remember when last season or the previous one they started adding those commercials behind the goalies, onto the glass, digitally. While most seemed to accept it, there were of course some nay-sayers. But in this case the same technology could be used to make the game more enjoyable (especially for casual fans). Some of us might recognize players by the way they skate or something specific (like tinted visors, colored laces), but the casual fans don't have the experience needed for that.

This could be a very good idea, if implemented slowly and not spamming the screen. The tags should be integrated seamlessly.
I wouldn't be opposed to this as long as it fades out after a faceoff/a player comes on for a line change. Only show it the 1st 5 seconds a player is on the ice

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:31 AM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycore View Post
Personally, I feel it's completely unnecessary
Agree

Watch the game in HD..you can tell who is who most of the time

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I didn't know this was a problem for people.

04-16-2012, 04:41 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 50
How about a companion real-time app / web site, like the this one for Formula 1:

http://formula1livetiming.com/go

I love using this while watching the races - could do something very similar for the NHL, and have as much information in real-time as you can handle.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:41 AM
NORY

I believe gamecenter has stuff like this.

NORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Eisen

I like the idea. I have no team to follow and just watch any games I get to see. I have no clue most of the time who is one the ice.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Or for people who have better things to do than memorize names & numbers of hockey players. Good for you if you have enough time to invest in the sport that you have all that stuff memorized, but that just isn't realistic for most fans.

Or maybe we're just awful fans.
The latter...

If you're into hockey, and support a team, you should know the players - especially on your own team. The idea is terrible - they put the frigging numbers and names on the damn uniforms already!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote