HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Suggestions for the Power Play?

Old
04-14-2012, 05:50 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
I`m gonna decide to decline passing along my thoughts, been 2 years of doing it and I`ve now fully accepted that the PP just isn`t/won`t be an aspect that helps this team.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:02 AM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...
How about declining the penalty. Seriously I sometimes wonder how much they practice pp's practice sometimes. They seem to like to play even strength and the man advantage hurts their rythem. What I think they need to do is simple. Move the puck quickly and keep the players moving. Too many times they stand still and allow the opposing team to set up their box. Quicker puck movement is the start.

seemlessglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:31 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
My suggestion:

Let's wait one more game before flying off the handle of a power play which doesn't need to score that much to give us a better result than we had last year.
Wait one more game? You make it seem like this has been a short-term problem. I think expecting to do what we did last year with the power play not working is a stretch.

All I know is that if we had capitalized on either the double-minor or 4 on 3 situation we had earlier in the game, we probably wouldn't have had to rely on an overtime goal to win it. That is exactly what Washington wants...play a low scoring game until late, and then try to steal one.

Right now they are packing everyone in, trying to block shots and protect the goal...a goal or two on the power play would force them to open up a bit.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:28 PM
slim399

Lucic-Krejci-Pevs
Chara-Rolston

Marchand-Begeron-Caron
Seidenberg-Seguin

Put Caron in for Paille

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:43 AM
ODAAT

As soon as Savvy is healthy enough to work full time, I make the call immediately to him and say "this is your baby to teach"

Old
04-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Needs more Zach Parise.
I approve this message.

Maybe Savvy can lend a hand at some point even if it is just via the phone.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:12 AM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I approve this message.

Maybe Savvy can lend a hand at some point even if it is just via the phone.
Lol. I gave up on the PP along time ago.

So I'll just keep weaving dreams of ZP.

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:18 AM
ODAAT

Something we did here with our team (I`m merely an assitant coach this year, Midget AA) is, our more skilled players just couldn`t get er going, far too fancy, looking for all the tic tack toe plays.

The coaches got together and we thought what the heck, let`s put our 3rd line out, 3 big kids, decent yet not spectacular skill but.....they do the little things right and do so simply, our PP has been fantastic over the last 3 weeks.

Clearly a much different story at the NHL level, but I wouldn`t have any issues with our entire 3rd line getting some time, 2 faceoff men in Kelly/Rolston, so chances are possession won`t be a problem.

Hey, can`t get much worse can it??

Old
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Something we did here with our team (I`m merely an assitant coach this year, Midget AA) is, our more skilled players just couldn`t get er going, far too fancy, looking for all the tic tack toe plays.

The coaches got together and we thought what the heck, let`s put our 3rd line out, 3 big kids, decent yet not spectacular skill but.....they do the little things right and do so simply, our PP has been fantastic over the last 3 weeks.

Clearly a much different story at the NHL level, but I wouldn`t have any issues with our entire 3rd line getting some time, 2 faceoff men in Kelly/Rolston, so chances are possession won`t be a problem.

Hey, can`t get much worse can it??
I'm not against this.

They look so tentative and stationary, somethings gotta be done to get them into some sort of comfort zone.

In fact I say just keep the lines together and when you get a PP, you play one of the top 3 lines, whichever is well-rested at the moment.

Not only are they used to playing with one-another and should be less tentative, but you don't lose the rhythm of the game when the power play is over, cuz you're not mixing and matching trying to get the lines back together.

As has been posted on here countless times....it can't get any worse!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
neelysbiggestfan

Everything, EVERYTHING is the same every time.
Force it to the defenseman. No movement down low. No creativity among the forwards. EVERYTHING continues to be geared towars a shot from the point. It's been this way for 2.5 years. It is actually comical how inept and predictable they are.

neelysbiggestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Lol. I gave up on the PP along time ago.

So I'll just keep weaving dreams of ZP.

Most of us gave up last year lol. ZP is the wildcard come July 1. Hope he comes here.

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
ckyak
Journeymen rise up!

Don't let Washington take any stupid penalties?

ckyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Schalkenullvier*

The least they can do is basically Not have corvo, chara and rolston out there at the same time. Thats 3/5 players whose only quality is to shoot.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
ProdigalFan
StillDontGrowOnTrees

It is somewhat scary thinking of Seguin at the point, but he gets pressured easily on the half wall, and more often than not, dumps out to the point to maintain possession. Our best players at controlling the puck along the wall are Bergy and Krejci. Marchand should definitely play down low, he's good behind the net and has a quick shot.

ProdigalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:53 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Movement. They don't use the back door play with Chara anymore. They are so predictable.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

For the love of god take Peverley off the point. He poses absolutely no threat there. If you're gonna put a forward back on D at least put a guy that can shoot a rocket like Rolston.

Lucic Krejci Seguin
Chara Rolston

Marchand Bergeron Peverley/Pouliot
Boychuk Corvo

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Movement. They don't use the back door play with Chara anymore. They are so predictable.
Chara doesn't unleash the bomb at all anymore either. I'm so sick of his floater wrist shots that get washed out in traffic. UNLEASH THE LASER

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Ignore power play unit structure - roll 4 lines. Give everyone a chance. 35 second shifts, chip it in deep, change it up. Screw man advantages. Pretend it is 5 on 5.
This isn't as crazy as it sounds. If they're doing something different on the power play that works LESS well, I'd like to see this tried.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

How about rolling speed along the blue line and using our size deep along the boards and in front of the net?

PP1:
Lucic, Krejci, Chara up front
Marchand, Seidenberg back.

PP2:
Pouliot, Kelly, Boychuk
Rolston, Ference back

Yes, I'm talking about playing our two largest defensemen down to the dots or below. They're players I'd count on to win a physical battle with anyone on the Capitals team who tries to gum the works up along the boards, and frankly Chara's shot has always worked best when he could sneak up to the top of the circle. Let's see someone block his shots if we set him up there, and not come away gimpy.

The bigger forwards up front possess the puck and menace the net, taking whatever they think they can, forcing the PK to collapse, freeing up space to pass the puck back out high for Marchy/Rolston or Seids/Ference to drive for the net. It seems to me that it would force the penalty kill unit to move a lot because the puck was always one pass away from being somewhere dangerous to them. That's not always the case right now.

Chara and Boychuk with their big booming shots can rotate back to the circles and blast away on anything loose, and since we know both of them can take a one timer off a good setup pass, putting them that close to the goaltender at least makes it painful to block shots in front of the net. Rebounds hopefully come out high because of the power of the shot. giving our speed along the blueline a chance to collect rebounds and dive for the net if they see an opening, or work the cycle down low again if they don't.

Ehh, this is just me thinking, it doesn't have to make sense, right?

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Lucic-Bergeron-Seguin.

Seguin could assume the former Savard position on the half boards. He has the passing ability and you know his shot needs to be respected.

Park Lucic in front of the net.

Keep Bergeron cycling between the dots and crease. He could pounce on rebounds, get one timers from Seguin, or go in for the back door pass' like Savard used to give to Sturm.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

It's pretty simple from my chair.

use speed around the zone and faster passes. They are so slow on doing anything that the oppostion has time to read the paper, take a sip of coffee, and yawn and then get in position to block anything.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:55 AM
njbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelysbiggestfan View Post
Everything, EVERYTHING is the same every time.
Force it to the defenseman. No movement down low. No creativity among the forwards. EVERYTHING continues to be geared towars a shot from the point. It's been this way for 2.5 years. It is actually comical how inept and predictable they are.
So much of the Bruins offense is geared at getting shots from the point. Chara for all his 108mph shot will never remind any of us of #77 in scoring from the point or getting shots on net. In fact our defense is rather poor at this in general , yet the insistence of getting it back there 80-90% of the time.

They absolutely need to work from the half walls in, the way they work to feed the point now is almost the hockey equivalent of the 4 corner stall. Especially , with the Caps D collapsing , they're basically saying go ahead take the point shot and the B's are readily obliging.

njbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...
thoughts....

start with the basics.

Skating.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
chizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post

use speed around the zone and faster passes. They are so slow on doing anything that the opposition has time to read the paper, take a sip of coffee, and yawn and then get in position to block anything.
I agree with you. They take way too much time developing anything. Also when they do get an add man situation, everyone that receives the puck always looks up or hesitates before either shooting or passing. It is a very easy PP to defend because of the players being static and slow on their decisions. I don't think coaching is going to make a difference.

Chara never shoots. Always throwing in a floater. That's a waist. 108mh and that all he can muster. If he does, it's never on net.
Bergeron as much as I like him is always with his face looking at the glass.Can't score that way. Takes too long to take a shot.
Sieds shouldn't be on the PP.
Seguin should be out there the whole PP.
Marchand should be out there as well. Has a quick shot and has good wheels and also moves around.
I'd try Rolston at the point and just tell him "only one timers" no setting up.

Basically, get guys out there that are quick with shooting and making decisions. It's way to slow right now just like before.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post

use speed around the zone and faster passes. They are so slow on doing anything that the oppostion has time to read the paper, take a sip of coffee, and yawn and then get in position to block anything.
Exactly this...plus the fact that they telegraph every stinkin' shot they are about to take. Speed of execution: puck movement and player movement. Then a shot minus the telegraph signal.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote