HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MAF has a Save% under .900 4 straight series

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

vCash: 500
Canadians: What are your thoughts moving towards Sochi regarding goaltending?

Old
04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPenalty View Post
I held up tongue all year long while the Fleury love-fest was going on. Talk of a Vezina nomination-LOL and stuff like that. I wanted to remind people of what we've been enduring during the playoffs the last few years. He is one of the worst 5 goalies in the league. He has been for a while. The team has a pretty good defense if you take him out and put a real goalie in. Give us Luongo and i bet we'd have won a game or two. Its that bad..

<80 save % through a series has got to be historic. I hope something changes soon. I hate to see all this potential wasted because we are too invested in this guy. No one really understands how much harder it is on the D if the goalie plays this badly. It totally destroys their confidence too.
Some hilarious stuff in here. You're not serious are you? Fleury's been bad but come on man. Have you watched this series at all? How many cross ice feeds followed by a one timer bullet has he had to try and stop? 8? 10? He was crap especially in the last game but give me a break with this. The defense is scared to death of the Flyers and are essentially just backing in until the Flyers decide to pass the puck somewhere. Again, Fleury = bad this series but you're on another planet with these comments.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Richard

If I am the Penguins, I am looking to move in another direction in regards to Fleury in the offseason. Substandard postseason play has become the norm for him. He lets in goals that cannot be given up during a high school match- let alone a Stanley Cup Playoff game.

Logically, the Penguins should look to completely retooling their defense and acquiring an average starter and pumping the savings into their defense. If I were Shero I would try and get Evgeni Nabokov from the Islanders. He is solid and reliable and gives us 2.3M in savings against the cap.

I would also ship out a couple of our high priced defenders if I were able to sign a weber or a suter (or both).

Lastly, a new coach is necessary. I have not seen any adjustments in game, nor have the Penguins played with the respect and hard work necessary to win a playoff series. The talent is there. Time to move on from Disco Dan.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Unstable

Fleury actually has made the first save on a lot of tough odd-man breaks. It's the rebounds and losing track of the puck in the crease that are killing the Pens. And the defense. One of the worst things I've seen in ages was on Talbot's short-handed goal in game two, where two guys were chasing Giroux and even though Crosby was further from G than the other Penguin, he was totally unaware of Talbot who was all of two feet behind him. Lousy awareness. I understand he was skating hard and trying to make a play on the puck, but he had no chance of catching G, another guy was on G, and he could have EASILY prevented the goal against.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I think there's also a very valid "fatigue" argument to be made. It's obvious the coaching staff doesn't trust Johnson as a capable backup anymore and as a result, Fleury had a pretty good workload this year. Not just in total number of games, but also in the fact that he's usually left in a lot longer than he should be when it's clearly not his night. Today was a prime example. A more reliable backup would be nice to relieve some of the pressure.
I agree with this...they guy plays 65+ games a year, and seems to wilt down the stretch and in the playoffs. His best playoff came in 07-08 when he missed a lot of time during the season.

Before doing anything drastic with Fleury, the team should really invest in a backup goalie who can play 20-25 games.

For example, the Rangers made a conscious effort to limit Lundqvist this year after seeing him struggle in the playoffs in the past. Tim Thomas was given rest down the stretch, even with Rask out.

Rinne, Quick and Niemi are the only playoff goalies to play more than Fleury, and two of those were fighting for their playoff lives.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Karnage420

Quote:
I held up tongue all year long while the Fleury love-fest was going on. Talk of a Vezina nomination-LOL and stuff like that. I wanted to remind people of what we've been enduring during the playoffs the last few years. He is one of the worst 5 goalies in the league. He has been for a while. The team has a pretty good defense if you take him out and put a real goalie in. Give us Luongo and i bet we'd have won a game or two. Its that bad..

<80 save % through a series has got to be historic. I hope something changes soon. I hate to see all this potential wasted because we are too invested in this guy. No one really understands how much harder it is on the D if the goalie plays this badly. It totally destroys their confidence too.
i...actually agree with everything said.

ohgodwhy.jpg

Old
04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
chethejet

He is a very good goalie. But he has been below par this series. Rebounds and misplay- ing simple shots are not typical but happen. He could have played better and given the Pens a better chance to win. Pens are star driven team and when they don't play well it generally leads to bad outcomes.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
NastyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Some hilarious stuff in here. You're not serious are you? Fleury's been bad but come on man. Have you watched this series at all? How many cross ice feeds followed by a one timer bullet has he had to try and stop? 8? 10? He was crap especially in the last game but give me a break with this. The defense is scared to death of the Flyers and are essentially just backing in until the Flyers decide to pass the puck somewhere. Again, Fleury = bad this series but you're on another planet with these comments.
Fleury is giving up goals at the absolute worst times for the team. Every time they get back into a game hes giving up a goal on the next shift. They can't settle the game down to play proper defense. The momentum is being destroyed by some of the worst goaltending i've ever seen in my life. 79% save percentage. That is historic.

Look at how well the Flyers are doing because Bryz is making some saves. Hes not playing great either, but hes at least bailing them out from time to time. The Pens situation would be remarkably better if their goaltending showed up from time to time.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Fleury actually has made the first save on a lot of tough odd-man breaks. It's the rebounds and losing track of the puck in the crease that are killing the Pens. And the defense. One of the worst things I've seen in ages was on Talbot's short-handed goal in game two, where two guys were chasing Giroux and even though Crosby was further from G than the other Penguin, he was totally unaware of Talbot who was all of two feet behind him. Lousy awareness. I understand he was skating hard and trying to make a play on the puck, but he had no chance of catching G, another guy was on G, and he could have EASILY prevented the goal against.
That was an excellent example. The team is hanging him out to dry with ****** play in our own zone. See the OT winner in gm 1 as well.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:24 AM
NutCracker

Man.. would it be awesome if Pens and Habs could work some Fleury+++ package for Price?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Get out of here with your rational posts. We'd rather throw out goalie under the bus.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
Man.. would it be awesome if Pens and Habs could work some Fleury+++ package for Price?
huh?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:31 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Get out of here with your rational posts. We'd rather throw out goalie under the bus.
Though I agree that people are going a little over the top in blaming Fleury for everything, it's always interesting to me that it's perfectly acceptable to throw pretty much everyone else under the bus but never Fleury. He better hope he never gets traded because I don't think he'd get the same treatment in most other cities.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Though I agree that people are going a little over the top in blaming Fleury for everything, it's always interesting to me that it's perfectly acceptable to throw pretty much everyone else under the bus but never Fleury. He better hope he never gets traded because I don't think he'd get the same treatment in most other cities.
For sure. I think he has been below average to poor to be honest. But the way this team is playing defensively, it wouldn't matter who was in net.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Karnage420

martin and fleury for kipper

Old
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Honestly it wouldn't be fleury+++
Maybe fleury+ but the dropoff isn't that great.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Honestly it wouldn't be fleury+++
Maybe fleury+ but the dropoff isn't that great.
Nah, MTL wouldn't touch him. Pressure of playing in MTL too much for MAF, career save% under .900 once again for him there in his career against a lower-tier offensive team. Same deal when playing Broduer, childhood hero, etc.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Fleury is giving up goals at the absolute worst times for the team. Every time they get back into a game hes giving up a goal on the next shift. They can't settle the game down to play proper defense. The momentum is being destroyed by some of the worst goaltending i've ever seen in my life. 79% save percentage. That is historic.

Look at how well the Flyers are doing because Bryz is making some saves. Hes not playing great either, but hes at least bailing them out from time to time. The Pens situation would be remarkably better if their goaltending showed up from time to time.
He was very bad last game. As I've said though it's two fold, him and the D. You simply cannot point directly at the goalie with blinders on. This team is not backchecking and the defense looks scared. Hell they're not even moving their feet half the time. Be mad at Fleury if you want, I really do understand, but he's just one of many culprits.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Karnage420

Martin for Kiprusoff!

Old
04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
He was very bad last game. As I've said though it's two fold, him and the D. You simply cannot point directly at the goalie with blinders on. This team is not backchecking and the defense looks scared. Hell they're not even moving their feet half the time. Be mad at Fleury if you want, I really do understand, but he's just one of many culprits.
I wasn't angry at Fleury for game one or game two.... but the first and fourth goals are inexcusable for a professional goalie to give up in game three.

Couple that with his past what, 6 out of 8 playoff series being under .900% save percentage?

Gotta get more, or gotta pay less if thats all your keeper is giving you.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
mpp9

Fleury's first two goals allowed last game can't happen. He lost us that game.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Never

Old
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Fleury's first two goals allowed last game can't happen. He lost us that game.
Your whole team lost you that game. It was quite entertaining seeing the pens try and play like the flyers but they just weren't good at it. I hope there's as much shenanigans after the whistle in game 4. I don't follow the penguins closely but I do cheer for them in the playoffs depending on who they are facing. I hope they win but at the same time it'd be interesting to see what happens if they lose.

To that guy that said to get rid of MAF and get Nabokov...it's stupid. I'd rather run with a young goalie who generally plays good than end up being a team without goaltending like the flyers before bryzgalov, chicago, sens from few years ago. You don't want to have a rotating door of goalies.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
Your whole team lost you that game. It was quite entertaining seeing the pens try and play like the flyers but they just weren't good at it. I hope there's as much shenanigans after the whistle in game 4. I don't follow the penguins closely but I do cheer for them in the playoffs depending on who they are facing. I hope they win but at the same time it'd be interesting to see what happens if they lose.

To that guy that said to get rid of MAF and get Nabokov...it's stupid. I'd rather run with a young goalie who generally plays good than end up being a team without goaltending like the flyers before bryzgalov, chicago, sens from few years ago. You don't want to have a rotating door of goalies.
This is the pens board my friend. Not an outside fan lecture.

Fleury's rebound control was atrocious and absolutely killed our confidence early. Fleury's 4th goal was the icing on the cake especially when it was right after Neal's 1st of the series and a great individual effort.

**** went downhill after that. Sid tried to stir things up b/c if was obvious things weren't going our way.

All Fleury needed to be was average by his standards and we may have a 2-1 series on our hands.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Canadians: What are your thoughts moving towards Sochi regarding goaltending?
Good, you see, we only need to fill 1 position, not 6, not 12, only 1...

Price, Ward...Smith, Fleury, luongo...

Bernier...

We only need 1 position filled...

Closed Thread