HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF: Game 3: Boston Bruins @ Washington Capitals. 4/16/12. Verizon Center. 7:30PM.

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The point of skating Laich with Ovechkin is to play Backstrom with Semin against inferior defense. The strategy is a good one in my opinion. Ovechkin is always a threat for solo heroics no matter who is on him. The problem is Semin and Backstrom. They need to be much better on their break ins and especially on their cycle.
I don't disagree with the strategy in general, but Laich's been miserable in the faceoff dot for the last month. That's contained Ovechkin's offensive game completely to the rush, and forced way too much defensive zone time. The offensive zone starts he's getting don't amount to anything because Boston is clearing the zone almost immediately. Get Perreault or Backstrom on the line to win some draws. I'd prefer Backstrom, because we've seen good chemistry between 85 and 28.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't disagree with the strategy in general, but Laich's been miserable in the faceoff dot for the last month. That's contained Ovechkin's offensive game completely to the rush, and forced way too much defensive zone time. The offensive zone starts he's getting don't amount to anything because Boston is clearing the zone almost immediately. Get Perreault or Backstrom on the line to win some draws. I'd prefer Backstrom, because we've seen good chemistry between 85 and 28.
I figure they assume they're going to lose the faceoff to Bergeron most of the time regardless, so might as well let Laich be the sacrificial lamb there.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Mothra

I just wish we had Bryan Murray behind the bench again......miss those dump/chase with a 1 goal lead tactics (actually that sounds a lot like DH)....so damn, wish we had Terry Murray....miss him and his more aggressive than his brother forecheck and ability to get the team out of the 2nd round...oh hell with that, give me Shony! I would skate through a wall for that guy as he said "we are the best team in the league and we know it" attitude.....I mean c'mon.....the guy coached them over Pitt, cleary the best coach ever....err...scratch that and give me Wilson, his odd little ways, and getting to the Finals....

give me anyone other than our current players/coaches/managemet/ownership

that cover it?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I just wish we had Bryan Murray behind the bench again......miss those dump/chase with a 1 goal lead tactics (actually that sounds a lot like DH)....so damn, wish we had Terry Murray....miss him and his more aggressive than his brother forecheck and ability to get the team out of the 2nd round...oh hell with that, give me Shony! I would skate through a wall for that guy as he said "we are the best team in the league and we know it" attitude.....I mean c'mon.....the guy coached them over Pitt, cleary the best coach ever....err...scratch that and give me Wilson, his odd little ways, and getting to the Finals....

that cover it?
So you're happy with the team mascot?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I would like Backstrom kept off the first line just for balance sake, but I have no problem moving Perreault up.

I also think that part of the strategy is for that top line to eventually break Boston's top defensive unit. Granted, Laich isn't pulling his weight there either, but at least he is capable of it.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I figure they assume they're going to lose the faceoff to Bergeron most of the time regardless, so might as well let Laich be the sacrificial lamb there.
They're also banking that Laich can mitigate the risks of losing the faceoff by playing excellent defense. Perreault should get some offensive zone starts with Ovie though.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Perreault is better defensively than Laich at center. By a considerable margin as far as I'm concerned. Laich tries, but he just isn't good.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
The point of skating Laich with Ovechkin is to play Backstrom with Semin against inferior defense. The strategy is a good one in my opinion. Ovechkin is always a threat for solo heroics no matter who is on him. The problem is Semin and Backstrom. They need to be much better on their break ins and especially on their cycle.
Agree. Its all about the matchups. And surprise, surprise...something BB NEVER understood. NEVER.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
bonzilla

Chara (and even Seidenburg) looked exhausted in game 2 toward the end of the 3rd. Shadowing OV for one game is tough enough, but it will be interesting to see the additive effect of absorbing an OV pound-fest 3-4-5-6-7 games in a row. I think OV noticeably wears him down starting tonight..

Old
04-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

What is going on??? people are pulling for MP to be 1st line center in a playoff game. Not long ago the majority of of the board thought he didnt belong in the NHL.

anyways I dont think he can phyicaly handle the beating he would take from chara on that line

Old
04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
What is going on??? people are pulling for MP to be 1st line center in a playoff game. Not long ago the majority of of the board thought he didnt belong in the NHL.
He has played his ass off and produced. I was wrong about him and I'm happy that I was.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:30 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

that cover it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Agree. Its all about the matchups. And surprise, surprise...something BB NEVER understood. NEVER.
And there you go, Mothra.

Perfect example of what I was saying. I didn't bring anything up.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:32 AM
SameOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Free for all: Ovie party pictures and making fun of his party habits because that is what make him fat.

Off Limits: Thomas's comments and anything that would make fun of them.
Related but not: I will say that a lot of what's come out of Boston, both from B's fans and media, has been pleasantly surprising. A lot of people saying that they love Ovi and his style of play, would love him on the Bruins. One article even went as far as to call him a "lunch-pail superstar". It's practically effusive. After months of nothing but negative media, it's kind of nice. Nothing about poor leadership, hard partying, no comparisons to Crosby...

Old
04-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post

anyways I dont think he can phyicaly handle the beating he would take from chara on that line

Yeah I think thats the only reason why MP is not getting time on the 1st line. Chara v. MP would be huge mismatch. He's already on his butt enough as it is....

Im a MP fan, but he's fine where he's at.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Except when he did? I mean, Ovi relentlessly wearing down Staal and Girardi was a big part of the reason the Caps beat the Rags last year. You think that was a matchup dictated only by Torts, even during the games in DC?

Not saying I wouldn't have liked him to use them a little better, but matchups are a double edged sword. It's led to some moronic icetime distributions at times, and it's worked out well at others.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:37 AM

My seats are 3 rows behind the net we shoot on twice.

Anyone want to conjure up a funny photoshopped image I could print at a Kinkos to hold up.

It's gotta be Obama / Thomas related tho.

Thoughts? Volunteers?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM
SameOld

Also some others over at RMNB. http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...h-signs-masks/

Old
txpd

on the positive sign we debuted the new #15 Mustangs Plus Mustang with the Washington Capitals in Savannah, GA on Saturday. So, we are 1 and 0.

Old
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
My seats are 3 rows behind the net we shoot on twice.

Anyone want to conjure up a funny photoshopped image I could print at a Kinkos to hold up.

It's gotta be Obama / Thomas related tho.

Thoughts? Volunteers?
Bring a bunch of these to the game. And hand them out....

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/buy...oogle_Seasonal

Old
04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Bring a bunch of these to the game. And hand them out....

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/buy...oogle_Seasonal
I might buy this, but its not sold in stores.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Yes and no. While I agree with the premise, I think we should have MP85 with Ovechkin, and Chimera. (or Majo). Let Laich play with Brouwer and Ward and create a super checking/hitting 3rd line.

8-85-25
28-19-90
20-21-42
26-83-22/23

Knuble should be playing for his size and "screenability". Heck, I'd play him with Ovechkin and let Chimera play with Hendo and Beagle.

Old
Mothra

Quote:
And there you go, Mothra.

Perfect example of what I was saying. I didn't bring anything up.
of course......its always someone else, I can dig it.....as for game 3, what they really need is Ryan Walter to take some of these draws.....or even Oates

Old
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
on the positive sign we debuted the new #15 Mustangs Plus Mustang with the Washington Capitals in Savannah, GA on Saturday. So, we are 1 and 0.
So that's where Halpern went!

Old
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

The Same Ovechkin who has what....1 goal in 15 matchups with Chara?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

that cover it?
why the rant? Not sure there is a lot of *****ing going on here.....or maybe I just dont see it anymore

Closed Thread