HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Women's World Championship

Old
04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
No kidding. I would have watched it if it was on in a better time slot, but Saturday night against the NHL playoffs!
I looked it up and Sweden's biggest sportspaper wrote three articles on the entire tournament, one of them was about the final roster. They didn't even bother to write that Sweden won the placement game and finished in 5th spot. Women's hockey in Sweden has really gone south since the 2006 Olympics when it was supposed to get into competion with the U.S and Canada.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I looked it up and Sweden's biggest sportspaper wrote three articles on the entire tournament, one of them was about the final roster. They didn't even bother to write that Sweden won the placement game and finished in 5th spot. Women's hockey in Sweden has really gone south since the 2006 Olympics when it was supposed to get into competion with the U.S and Canada.
Have to say the same for Finland. Though it seems the bigger issues is on the coaching side as we seem to have only one coach who knows how to get the best out of the women (Hannu Saintula). There is a drop off in talent as well. A bit disappointed that local girl Susanna Tapani only scored one goal/point in the entire tournament considering she's such "sniper" in other sports (mainly ringette) and in the Finnish league. I hope she goes to a good US college (Boston and Minnesota have been interested) unless she decides to play one full season in the Finnish women's league (yet to do so due to being in school in Turku and there being no women's team there) before that. She's going to have to drop ringette out now if she want's to play hockey.

In general US and Canada seem to be pulling more and more ahead while Finland and Sweden remain stagnant or regress while behind them there's more development.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Is there any league in the world where women get paid? i find it hard to believe that women can actually play hockey to make money as there is nobody really who wants to pay watching worse hockey than juniors.
I know some of the best Finnish womens players have played in Russia and based on stories in the papers they got paid to play well enough so that they didn't have to work on the side.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Zamuz

I was pretty disappointed to see how our coach didn't play some rookies in the playoff games. I saw kotkaslahti play in one game, had really good hands.. i mean why did our coach not give her time when the games were already pretty much done.. if you have rookies in your team, you must let them play when there is nothing to lose.

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote