HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hagelin Out Alfie In Shanny Fail

Old
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
Phillips does make contact with the head, but the elbow was tucked in.

Nothing close to Hagelins flying chicken wing.
He clearly targeted Callahan's head. But because Callahan wasn't injured by it, no suspension. BS.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
corksens

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Alfredsson flew back with the team and practiced. He's okay, no suspension was deserved.
He missed the rest of the game, and is concussed.

I've already said that 3 games was too much.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

It does not really matter elbow or not if the head is the principle target for impact.

A shoulder to head hit is perfectly suspendable.

No need to pick and choose the circumstances to make the Sens look blameless, because people who do that always end up making loads of hypocritical statements down the line.

Did I ever defend Avery for his bullcrap? No. Because I'm principled enough to be objective and consistent about the sport.

04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
ck20

Quote:
He missed the rest of the game, and is concussed.

I've already said that 3 games was too much.
If he flew back and practiced, it couldn't have been that bad. If he's playing tonight, then it's a travesty that there was even a suspension for someone who hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet and is still a rookie; as opposed to Carkner who has made a career out of being dirty. Did you even watch the Carkner suspension video? He did the SAME EXACT THING against he Islanders. And Shanahan took in to account his past record? Yea right.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Three games is too hefty a suspension, but Hagelin should have been suspended, whether or not he's a generally clean player or not. He made a mistake, and he should have to answer for it. The problem is that three games for this, as compared to no games for the Weber/Zetterberg incident, or just 1 game for Carkner, doesn't seem to make very much sense.

I would be fine with a 1, maybe even 2 game suspension for Hags. 3 is too much.

That said, as important as Hagelin is to this team, they're a good enough team that it shouldn't stop them from winning. Let's see Dubinsky motivate himself and earn his paycheck for once this season. His poor offensive play is the only reason that Hagelin ever had the chance to become such an integral player this season, anyway.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Let's see Dubinsky motivate himself and earn his paycheck for once this season. His poor offensive play is the only reason that Hagelin ever had the chance to become such an integral player this season, anyway.
You're the first guy to hit on this, and I agree that this should light a fire under Dubinsky to play his heart out tonight. I'm expecting a good game out of him

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Three games is too hefty a suspension, but Hagelin should have been suspended, whether or not he's a generally clean player or not. He made a mistake, and he should have to answer for it. The problem is that three games for this, as compared to no games for the Weber/Zetterberg incident, or just 1 game for Carkner, doesn't seem to make very much sense.

I would be fine with a 1, maybe even 2 game suspension for Hags. 3 is too much.

That said, as important as Hagelin is to this team, they're a good enough team that it shouldn't stop them from winning. Let's see Dubinsky motivate himself and earn his paycheck for once this season. His poor offensive play is the only reason that Hagelin ever had the chance to become such an integral player this season, anyway.
I agree--the most ****ed up thing about all this is really how Shanny decides punishments for this player or that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
iamthewalrus

Injury doesnt matter. The fact is it was an elbow to the head. Shannys obviously inconsistent but whats done is done.Were a number 1 seed with the best goaltender in the world. Hags will be back, and kreider gets to play. Could be a blessing in disguise

iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:40 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Surprised that still more people voted that Hagelin's suspension was the right length of punishment
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1166941&page=5

If Alfredson is back tonight, that means Carkner out 1 game, Alfredson out 0 games, Hagelin out 3. Doesn't quite seem fair to me

Old
04-16-2012, 12:42 PM
GloveSave35

It was a hit to head. And as such, should be punished within the NHL's current system. Without intent to hurt, previous history, etc I think 1 game is fair.

Now that being said, take those same things into account and I have no idea who Weber doesn't get AT LEAST 2 games for a malicious, non hockey play attack.

Give Weber 2+ and the 1 game for Hags would seem warranted. But no penalty for Weber and a massive one for Hags? Makes the NHL and Shanny look like a total joke. No consistency. No regard for their own rules... a mock league with an agenda. Terrible.

And Carkner should easily get 3+ for what he did. Unbelievable.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfstheman View Post
Completely different circumstances. Boyle knew it was coming! But in saying that I was expecting Carkner to get more games and do think that Shannahan should get replaced by someone who knows what hes doing.

I hope the rest of the series doesnt end up like pits-philly, but whats done is done and I hope the rangers arent aiming to take out karlsson or spezza since that will only create more of the same as game 2.

Lets play some hockey and leave out all the calls for cheap shot revenge on players who just want to make some nice plays and give us entertainment!
So you are saying you would be perfectly fine with Scott sucker punching Phillips to the ice and pounding on him while he lies there defenseless because Phillips knows its coming? After all, he did elbow our captain in the head...

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
XLJ

Bitz got 2 games for his hit on Clifford. I still dont understand how Hagelin got 3. IMO Bitz hit was worse.

Alfredsson was diagnosed with a concussion Saturday night and is now a game time decision. It does make you wonder a little if he did have a legitimate concussion. Very quick turnaround.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Honestly, If Alfie was to sustain a concussion from that hit, he shouldn't be playing in the first place. Worse hits happen to players all the time during games. I'm sure he's fine and that he'll play today.

3 games is an absolute travesty for an apologetic first-time offender IN THE PLAYOFFS. 1 game would have been the right call, as he did make contact with the head. This league is a joke.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:57 PM
nevesis

I am a drunk driver. I just hit another car. Everyone in the car ends up not injured. I do not get arrested or charged with anything.

This is the NHL.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I am a drunk driver. I just hit another car. Everyone in the car ends up not injured. I do not get arrested or charged with anything.

This is the NHL.

Perfect analogy

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

At the end of the day, the league has basically condoned the sens sending a goon out to just deliberately go after a key offensive player on The Rangers with punches.

I don't want to hear any crap about punches landing on shoulders etc, the point is, it's not a "hockey play", it's not a check or open ice hit. In fact, it is not any kind of play at all, it is simply a bully tactic.

Now therefore, If I were Torts, I would have sent Rupp out immediately after that mugging to just go out and put a big hit on Spezza or Alfie and let the chips (and a senator) fall.

The down side is that Torts would probably get suspended.

04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post

This is the NHL.

On the radio this morning Shannahan compared it to a bar fight. If a guy gets sucker punched and the victim brushes it off and walks away, the cops probably won't be showing up to put the aggressor in jail. But if they victom ends up in the hospital, they'll be looking for the aggressor for sure.

So if it's a concussion, it's something that they take special notice of. And that's actually in the CBA, that the actual injury plays a role in the severity of the suspension. So I agree he should have been suspended, but it should have been more like 1 game (2 max) considering everything

Old
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
So essentially what's going to happen is Alfie will sit out tonight no matter what in order to "justify" the 3-game suspension and just play Wed night since there's no doubt Ottawa caught wind of what Shanahan said and want to play the "woe is me" card.
I doubt Ottawa would sit their best player in a pivotal game just to keep Hagelin out for 3 games...

The "game-time decision" may be gamesmanship on their part, trying to discourage an appeal, however.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I doubt Ottawa would sit their best player in a pivotal game just to keep Hagelin out for 3 games...

The "game-time decision" may be gamesmanship on their part, trying to discourage an appeal, however.
Agreed.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
On the radio this morning Shannahan compared it to a bar fight. If a guy gets sucker punched and the victim brushes it off and walks away, the cops probably won't be showing up to put the aggressor in jail. But if they victom ends up in the hospital, they'll be looking for the aggressor for sure.

So if it's a concussion, it's something that they take special notice of. And that's actually in the CBA, that the actual injury plays a role in the severity of the suspension. So I agree he should have been suspended, but it should have been more like 1 game (2 max) considering everything
Hey, I have no problem following this logic if they are about to hand out the type of penalties that the justice system does. The problem is, I don't see life in prison, 3 strikes you're out, 2 years for shooting yourself in the leg, etc. coming to the NHL any time soon.

They either have to bring that type of pain, or switch to an intent and deterrence motivated system.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevesis

EXCELLENT Article!

Brendan Shanahan Is Ruining The NHL

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...ining-the-nhl/

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfstheman View Post
Completely different circumstances. Boyle knew it was coming! But in saying that I was expecting Carkner to get more games and do think that Shannahan should get replaced by someone who knows what hes doing.

I hope the rest of the series doesnt end up like pits-philly, but whats done is done and I hope the rangers arent aiming to take out karlsson or spezza since that will only create more of the same as game 2.

Lets play some hockey and leave out all the calls for cheap shot revenge on players who just want to make some nice plays and give us entertainment!
Easy for you to say now that Alfredsson is likely to play, Dubi was kicked out of the game and Hags got a three game suspension. Nah. Let's rip Karlsson's little head off his shoulders in a pre-meditated manner. That only gets you a one game suspension. I will be entertained if the little Swedish fairy is carted off. I wouldn't have said that before the series started. But after the antics the other night; I'm all for it. This is war.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

If you punch someone in the face, the person doesn't get injured, and the cops don't arrest you then that is not going to deter you from punching someone in the face in the future.

If you give a guy a cheap hit, he doesn't get injured, and you don't get suspended, then that is not going to deter you from throwing a cheap hit in the future.

The NHL has this ass backwards.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Phillips does make contact with the head, but the elbow was tucked in.

Nothing close to Hagelins flying chicken wing.
And? I can generate alot of force with my elbow tucked in. Don't be an ass!

Old
04-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
The crowd barely reacts. The player is fine. No elbow.

2 minute penalty was deserved.
the difference is our captain is a man and didn't fake an injury for effect. Similar plays. Could have been called exactly the same but wasn't. Three playoff games is a ridiculous penalty for that hit on a guy who is not even injured. Nonsense.