HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF Game 3 12:00pm EST - Just win

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 10:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
My issue with Tootoo and Ellis was strictly defensive. That's the only thing I worry about when it comes to subbing in Wilson or Smith, as well. Yip may not be the most dynamic player, but at least he, Gaustad and when healthy, Halischuk have some sort of steady identity.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:42 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
what is gill even out with, or is it an undisclosed injury?
Lower body injury. Took a puck off of the foot/ankle from a Souray slapper in the last game against Dallas at the end of the game.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:21 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post

A+ everyone

I agree Wilson should play but not at the cost of SK, if anyone it should be Yip. We may have Rads, AK, and Erat but we need as many snipers as we can get. SK came through clutch today!
As many times this year as a 4th line grinder has scored in the same situation on Peks. I am glad are first line sniper finished on a two on one. Bravo!!!
He still has not played worth a sack of pucks and i am really wanting that play to turn his game on.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
And unfortunately that one play will earn him more undeserved ice time. Hopefully this goal wakes him up, but he has been the biggest disappointment over the past month, and especially in this series
You never know Smith has not sniffed the ice since putting up a goal and two assists in Colorado. He clearly outplayed Toots and Yip for that final spot when given the *** chance.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

I would like to Smith in over Tootoo too.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Like I said...I can see Smith or Wilson in for Tootoo, since neither could be as rotten defensively, and at least they bring offense...but like it or not, Yip is playing a role and has been decent on the forecheck.

Funny that the "BENCH SK!" crowd is comprised by a lot of the same members of the "KLEIN SUXX!" crowd.

Coincidence? I think not.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Like I said...I can see Smith or Wilson in for Tootoo, since neither could be as rotten defensively, and at least they bring offense...but like it or not, Yip is playing a role and has been decent on the forecheck.

Funny that the "BENCH SK!" crowd is comprised by a lot of the same members of the "KLEIN SUXX!" crowd.

I am one of the biggest Klein haters on this board but i was also the first to mentioned how well he has played in the playoffs. He had the game of his life yesterday so pump the brakes if you think he is going to bring that everynight. The guy is growing on me though and i really hope he gains confidence and becomes a better player.

On the SK issue. He has not done a thing besides play a his role the way Trotz wants defensively. Yes he had a very nice goal yesterday but like i mentioned before 4th liners have done the same thing to Peka several times this year. I just think it should be the same treatment whether you are SK/Legwand or Smith/Wilson etc. It does not seem like the same kind of rules for everyone. If we have so much depth like Trotz and everyone says then why are guys not forced to produce or sit the bench. It sure does happen to Wilson/Smith why not SK and other top 6?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Please. You can't possibly tell me that you've been happy with SK lately.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I am one of the biggest Klein haters on this board but i was also the first to mentioned how well he has played in the playoffs. He had the game of his life yesterday so pump the brakes if you think he is going to bring that everynight. The guy is growing on me though and i really hope he gains confidence and becomes a better player.

On the SK issue. He has not done a thing besides play a his role the way Trotz wants defensively. Yes he had a very nice goal yesterday but like i mentioned before 4th liners have done the same thing to Peka several times this year. I just think it should be the same treatment whether you are SK/Legwand or Smith/Wilson etc. It does not seem like the same kind of rules for everyone. If we have so much depth like Trotz and everyone says then why are guys not forced to produce or sit the bench. It sure does happen to Wilson/Smith why not SK and other top 6?
Trotz has never treated players the same as far as I can tell in his history as the coach but in this case he's right. Are you going to sit SK or Legwand or Fisher at this point of the year because they haven't produced in the playoffs? They are producing but in a different way than what many people would like. They are holding Detroit's top 6 down offensively. That is no easy task. Other than the Datsyuk goal yesterday, have their top 6 scored at even strength against us in 3 games? If they have, it may be one goal but I'll take that any day of the week.

Would you supplant any of the three I mentioned above with Smith or Wilson at this point, two players who are not qualified to play the two way game Trotz requires, especially in the playoffs against guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

Produce is a funny word at the end of the day. All I know is this, the guys that have been in the lineup have produced two wins versus one loss. If that pace continues, we can go very far in the playoffs. Playing a good two way game and being responsible is producing results.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Ellis over Hillen all day, every day.
Ellis only logged 5:15 even strength minutes and only one shift in the 3rd period, when our D were being run ragged and needed a breather. Except for one dangerous behind the back pass at the blueline to Josi that did result in a shot on goal, he was more a liability on the PP than a help. His previous PP shifts resulted in 3 turnovers and a couple of Detroit short handed opportunities.

In short Ellis is a real defensive liability, much more so than Hillen. Hillen is much more solid defensively. What Ellis brings on the PP does not make up for what he gives up defensively. If Gill can't play tomorrow night, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hillen in there as a defensive hedge against a sure to be very aggressive Wings team. IMO Ellis is not really ready to play more than 12 minutes in the regular NHL and certainly not ready for playoff hockey.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Trotz has never treated players the same as far as I can tell in his history as the coach but in this case he's right. Are you going to sit SK or Legwand or Fisher at this point of the year because they haven't produced in the playoffs? They are producing but in a different way than what many people would like. They are holding Detroit's top 6 down offensively. That is no easy task. Other than the Datsyuk goal yesterday, have their top 6 scored at even strength against us in 3 games? If they have, it may be one goal but I'll take that any day of the week.

Would you supplant any of the three I mentioned above with Smith or Wilson at this point, two players who are not qualified to play the two way game Trotz requires, especially in the playoffs against guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

Produce is a funny word at the end of the day. All I know is this, the guys that have been in the lineup have produced two wins versus one loss. If that pace continues, we can go very far in the playoffs. Playing a good two way game and being responsible is producing results.
I agree with what you are saying. We have for the most part shut down the top 6 of Detroit but they are still out making plays and getting good chances. I do not think you can say the same for some of are top line players. I think the defense and being conservative is what keeps some of them on Trotz good side. The games are coming down to the D stepping up and lower line players for us. If that is the case why would you play Tootoo over someone who has shown the ability to be a difference maker on offense in Smith? Tootoo has not done anything in months and the last game Smith got a chance to play in he had a goal and two assists. Sure Tootoo skates around and nails people but his defense i would argue is no better than Smith.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Juneemoon

Interesting quote from Trotz in today's game story on the Tennessean. Probably explains why Sergei gets extra rope when others don't....

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...TS02/304150103

Quote:
“Sergei has always been criticized for not shooting enough. He has a great release and is very accurate with it, “ Trotz said. “I have a lot of trust in Sergei. He’s really grown in Nashville.”

Old
04-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Just read a report about your practice lines today. Smith and Wilson still not playing but juggling some lines. Can't imagine they will keep Legwand on the 4th line! Trotz probably playing his games to motivate or something
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...s-lines-shift/

Old
04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok, I worked out 3 times [once before the game, reps in the breaks during the game, and cardio and reps after the game.]

I feel like crap, can a doc give me a prescription for a painkiller so I can do it again for game 4?

Old
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Interesting quote from Trotz in today's game story on the Tennessean. Probably explains why Sergei gets extra rope when others don't....

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...TS02/304150103
I think Sergei has taken over the Jared Smithson Memorial Locker.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Please. You can't possibly tell me that you've been happy with SK lately.
defensively, yes.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
defensively, yes.
That's cool. We're not paying SK to be Jerred Smithson though

Old
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
That's cool. We're not paying SK to be Jerred Smithson though
tell me how mike fisher has been better, offensively.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
tell me how mike fisher has been better, offensively.
Never said he was. But at least he brings intensity, hustle, faceoffs, leadership, hitting, grit, etc. Not to mention he's the one usually shutting down Datsyuk.

SK does just enough to get by defensively, but lacks intensity. And when he took that really bad penalty, people's tempers overflowed. You make it seem like benching SK is some completely foreign idea, when that's exactly what happened towards the end of game 2.

I'm hopeful that his bad penalty and goal will invigorate him though.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I think a lot of people (not everyone, but many) are just kind of assuming Ellis should be playing over Hillen because Ellis is a big-time prospect and Hillen has gained a rep as a whipping boy throughout the season. To me, it sucks that Gill is out and is forcing one of these two into action, but I think we can all agree that Ellis can boost the PP a little bit but doesn't have any sort of clear-cut edge over Hillen. I was pretty impressed with Hillen's play in the first two games, especially game 1. I can't wait for Ellis to evolve over the coming years, but I can't make any kind of big case for him over Hillen.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think a lot of people (not everyone, but many) are just kind of assuming Ellis should be playing over Hillen because Ellis is a big-time prospect and Hillen has gained a rep as a whipping boy throughout the season. To me, it sucks that Gill is out and is forcing one of these two into action, but I think we can all agree that Ellis can boost the PP a little bit but doesn't have any sort of clear-cut edge over Hillen. I was pretty impressed with Hillen's play in the first two games, especially game 1. I can't wait for Ellis to evolve over the coming years, but I can't make any kind of big case for him over Hillen.
Exactly. See my post above.

Ellis is the current "new shiny toy", but his defense has a long way to go before he is reliable. Remember, they tried to trade him at deadline, so the Preds aren't necessarily convinced he is the real deal, IMO.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
token grinder

They tried to trade him in a deal to get Rick Nash, so it isn't like he is chopped liver.

I think people forget the freaking islanders didn't want him, and hillen is a young guy-25 or 26 now.

What can Jack Hillen bring to the table that Ryan Ellis can't? playoff experience? if anything, Ellis has played in more high pressure situations that hillen can even dream of when you account for playing the role of little Captain Canada all through the different world tourneys.

Neither guy handles weight well, and they probably aren't supposed to at their size/age yet. Ellis is the better overall player though.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Let's go back 2 seasons. SK came to Nashville labelled as "locker room cancer" and undisciplined kid from Montreal. At least Habs fans claimed he was. If I remember correct he went thru some dog-house treatment with Trotz too. So if today he is treated not equally and he is one of coach's "favorite sons" it is only to his credit. He has converted from what I said above to what he is now. Am I pleased with his game #3? No. But I don't really think it is an easy task to play against Datsyuk's line. I think Pavel is the most completed player in NHL. SK scored a goal and that's it. People who say "Because of 1 little play he will get more undeserved ice time", please listen to what you're saying. This little play happened to be GWG in game 3 and gets Nashville home ice advantage once again. A little plays like that win series and cups.
I'm actually more shocked with his bro's performance so far. Another guy coming from Montreal and labeled "lazy-ass" leading the team in TA with zero GA, goal, assist 7 hits and +2. Do Habs even know how to use their players?
Oh, and btw. Only win tomorrow

Old
04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
They tried to trade him in a deal to get Rick Nash, so it isn't like he is chopped liver.

I think people forget the freaking islanders didn't want him, and hillen is a young guy-25 or 26 now.

What can Jack Hillen bring to the table that Ryan Ellis can't? playoff experience? if anything, Ellis has played in more high pressure situations that hillen can even dream of when you account for playing the role of little Captain Canada all through the different world tourneys.

Neither guy handles weight well, and they probably aren't supposed to at their size/age yet. Ellis is the better overall player though.
Fair enough, but Hillen has played on 4 USA national teams and in plenty of other pressure situations as well. They both looked a bit nervous in their first games, although I think Hillen looked better. And I wouldn't use the Islanders as the model for choosing whom to keep and whom to sign. Under Snow they have let a lot of good players walk for nothing.

It is hard for both of them to get into a rythm when thrown into the fire and given less than 8 minutes of ice time, which brings up a good point. Would you rather have Hillen on the bench playing less than 10 minutes or Ellis? Ellis brings a little PP punch and Hillen plays on the PK should a top four go in the box. I would rather have the steadier defender in Hillen, than the NHL rookie whose defense has been suspect.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I have no problem with SK not scoring if he was providing beter defensive zone play. He's been bad in his own zone. Losing almost every battle on the wall and making horrible reads that have led to that group getting cycled on most every shift. He's not paying a price or showing enough determination to make plays in the zone so far this series.

Closed Thread