HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

James Neal suspended 1 game. Asham 4. Adams 1.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
James Neal suspended 1 game. Asham 4. Adams 1.

Mods feel free to move this if it's already being discussed. Just saw this being tagged as "New" on NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628071

Quote:
Pittsburgh forward James Neal will have hearings on Tuesday with the Department of Player Safety for two separate incidents in Game 3 on Sunday of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Also, Pittsburgh forward Arron Asham has been offered an in-person hearing Tuesday morning for his match penalty for cross-checking Brayden Schenn at 14:15 of the first period. Asham received a match penalty on the hit.

Neal's hearings focus on the hit against Sean Couturier in the third period, as well as the charging penalty he received for a hit on Claude Giroux later in the period. Neal was not penalized on the Couturier hit.
Discuss.

I'll say Asham is done for the year, Neal gets 1-2 games.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Mods feel free to move this if it's already being discussed. Just saw this being tagged as "New" on NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628071

Discuss.

I'll say Asham is done for the year, Neal gets 1-2 games.
lol @ done for the year. The year will be over in 1 or 2 more games anyway.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Neal will get two games for the hit on Schenn and a fine for the Giroux incident.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:27 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Just means Neal and Asham will be starting their Summer vacation a day or two earlier.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Have changed the title to the current one.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
cassius

Neal doesn't deserve a suspension for those hits.

On the Couturier hit, you could say that is was charging... but that hasn't been called all series long.

On the Giroux hit, that was a clean check and it's up for debate whether Giroux embellished. I have my own thoughts on the matter.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:36 PM
JimsDoors

How long was Neal on the bench before the refs told him to go to the box after the Giroux hit? He looked surprised as if it was never called on the ice, but after he was sitting on the bench.

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Asham should be gone. I doubt he actually meant to hit the guy in the throat, but his stick road up into that area on the follow through and you're responsible for that regardless of intent.

Neal should have got a penalty on both hits. One was interference and the other I guess was a charge, but it looked like the refs kind of made the charging call up after the fact. Didn't look like they called the penalty initially.

I'm not sure what Neal was doing on the Couturier hit. Maybe he thought the puck was there or he may not have seen Couturier right away. Only he knows. He certainly didn't try to avoid the collision, but we've seen the knee injuries you can get when you try to dodge a collision at the last second. Looked like the refs saw the hit and thought it was incidental.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
How long was Neal on the bench before the refs told him to go to the box after the Giroux hit? He looked surprised as if it was never called on the ice, but after he was sitting on the bench.
That was the worst part. The refs were to dumb to realize, if they let Neal skate across the ice without a linesman on him, **** is gonna happen.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Neal doesn't deserve a suspension for those hits.

On the Couturier hit, you could say that is was charging... but that hasn't been called all series long.
Schenn 2 minutes for charging, not 40 minutes before Neal's play.

Last edited by Shrimper: 04-16-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Edited out any potential text that could start a war.
thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Terrapin

Neither should be suspended. Asham got tossed from the game for apparently giving a punch to the back of Schenn's head. I know it couldn't be from the crosscheck to the chest. Although I haven't seen someone's head fly back like that since the last time I saw the Zupruda film of JFK being shot.

A case could be made for one of the Neal hits, but as someone posted in another thread, Giroux looked like a WWE wrestler faking an injury.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
cassius

Schenn definitely embellished somewhat on the Asham hit if you ask me - he acted like he was shot, yet he didn't miss a shift.

It was still a dirty play... no doubt, but when you're a rookie taking blatant charges/runs at our guys, there has to be repercussions. Did Asham go too far? Absolutely

Old
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Neither should be suspended. Asham got tossed from the game for apparently giving a punch to the back of Schenn's head. I know it couldn't be from the crosscheck to the chest. Although I haven't seen someone's head fly back like that since the last time I saw the Zupruda film of JFK being shot.

A case could be made for one of the Neal hits, but as someone posted in another thread, Giroux looked like a WWE wrestler faking an injury.
How was Schenn's chin bleeding if he got hit in the chest?

Giroux was picking up his mouthguard off the ice and lost in balance, he wasn't faking anything.

Quote:
Schenn definitely embellished somewhat on the Asham hit if you ask me - he acted like he was shot, yet he didn't miss a shift.
Getting hit in the windpipe and chin will definitely make you winded and sore, but it doesnt mean you'll miss the rest of the game.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post

Match Penalty is a one game suspension, so Asham will at least be getting that.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post

Giroux was picking up his mouthguard off the ice and lost in balance, he wasn't faking anything.

Getting hit in the windpipe and chin will definitely make you winded and sore, but it doesnt mean you'll miss the rest of the game.
Troll detected

Old
04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:

I agree with this.

Asham should be gone for playoffs. The punch when a guy is laying on the ice is just idiotic - you don't do it, period.

Neal's hit on Couturier was fine. The Giroux one should get a fine - maybe one game, though I could see the case for more if he had gotten injured.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Troll detected
From the HF rule book :

Quote:
Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong
Just because my opinion is different, doesnt make me a troll

Quote:
I agree with this.

Asham should be gone for playoffs. The punch when a guy is laying on the ice is just idiotic - you don't do it, period.

Neal's hit on Couturier was fine. The Giroux one should get a fine - maybe one game, though I could see the case for more if he had gotten injured.
Yeah the Asham punch reminded me of Gillis on Tangradi when Tangradi was stunned against the boards. (though not as bad as luckily Asham stopped after 1 punch)

I think Neal will get at least 1 game because he is a repeat offender (from Dallas), and because both bad hits (1 charging/interference and 1 charging/headshot) happened one after the other in a game that was all but decided on the scoreboard.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Terrapin

Quote:

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
From the HF rule book :

Just because my opinion is different, doesnt make me a troll
Take anything that guy says with a grain of salt. Most people here don't really take anything he says seriously either.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I've honestly never seen a team have as many players fake injuries as the Flyers did yesterday. I'm not talking about selling a trip or a hook, I mean actually laying on the ice like you've been knocked out cold and then going on and playing the rest of the game like nothing happened. Giroux's bambi legs routine was straight out of pro wrestling.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I've honestly never seen a team have as many players fake injuries as the Flyers did yesterday. I'm not talking about selling a trip or a hook, I mean actually laying on the ice like you've been knocked out cold and then going on and playing the rest of the game like nothing happened. Giroux's bambi legs routine was straight out of pro wrestling.
Yep.. as the game went on, it started to feel like a soccer match more than playoff hockey. Just tons of diving + acting all around.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Missed that. The way he went down made it look like a much scarier/bad hit to the head. I was sort of puzzled because the hit didn't look that bad on replay, but I didn't see that he was just picking up his mouthguard.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Missed that. The way he went down made it look like a much scarier/bad hit to the head. I was sort of puzzled because the hit didn't look that bad on replay, but I didn't see that he was just picking up his mouthguard.
Yeah, he was also fixing his helmet, and was likely dizzy from spinning. trying to do too many things at once haha

Old
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
cassius

The reaction on the main board towards the Neal / Giroux hit cracks me up. The way they describe it, you would think it's Bertuzzi/Moore if you hadn't seen the hit yourself.

The way the rulebook is written: that is a perfectly legal check in the game of hockey.

Protip to Giroux: When James Neal is on the forecheck, you might want to keep your head up... and hunching down definitely isn't going to help you either.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Maybe someone scooted it along the ice with his stick to make it harder to find.