Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sudbury Wolves owner visited Omsk, Junior Club World Cup

Old
04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Sudbury Wolves owner visited Omsk, Junior Club World Cup

Sudbury Wolves owner visited Omsk, Russia where Junior Club World Cup takes place next summer (18-26 august). He said 4-5 players of current roster wil leave club in mid-season. Can you name them?

more about turney

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Not familiar with the tourney or format, but these cross-league ideas are always interesting. I don't know anything about the quality of the competition from other leagues either, but Sudbury is probably not going to be one of the more competitive options from the OHL for next season... Assuming it is in a training camp timeframe? What kind of roster do the Wolves have if guys like Leivo, Sefton, Corrado are at NHL rookie camps / getting ready for NHL rookie camps... could be a very young and weak team, not very representative of a typical OHL team level? But a great experience for the kids involved, either way.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

thx for reply

It is not clear how format is. It should be 2 groups of 6 teams. So 5 games for every team. Winner of groups will play final.

Group A: USA, RUS, SVK, SUI, BLR, NOR
Group B: CAN, SWE, CR, FIN, LAT, DAN

participants:
RUS - Kharlamov Cup holder (MHL champion), final: Red Army (CSKA jr) vs Omsk Hawks (Avangard jr)
CAN - Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
USA - rumours about USHL team
SWE - Linköpings HC (J20 SuperElit, champion)
FIN - HIFK Helsinky (Nuorten SM-liiga, champion)
CZE - Energia Karlove Vary (will play MHL next season)
SVK -
DAN - select team
NOR - select team
SUI -
BLR - maybe belarussian MHL team
LAT – HK Riga (MHL)

I dont know when CHL/NHL camps are. Tourney takes place 18-26 august. Hockey Canada chose Wolves, they could choose better team

EDIT
five guys born 1991 should be allowed to play if rules did not change. Number of younger guys is not limited.

Last edited by vorky: 04-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hmm, are guys from the current CSKA team (as one example) like Kucherov, Gusev going to be able to play? Because I presume that team would destroy the Sudbury team that goes over.

Many of Sudbury's older/better players from this year's team will be gone (e.g. Sgarbossa, McFadden will have moved on), and it's doubtful that many of the "real prospect" players (i.e. NHL drafted players) from those that remain (like Leivo, Sefton, and Corrado, not sure if there are others or will be others drafted this year) will be available either. Instead, the team would most likely be a lot of '94 and '95 players, with a scattered few older players who aren't considered pro prospects.

That Sudbury team would probably not stand a chance against this season's edition of CSKA, presumably (I really don't know anything at all about the players or quality of the other countries' junior leagues).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Hmm, are guys from the current CSKA team (as one example) like Kucherov, Gusev going to be able to play? Because I presume that team would destroy the Sudbury team that goes over.
yes, they are. Plus Marchenko, Naumenkov, Lyubimov, Prokhorkin to name the most famous. Of course club can decise that best of them wil not play here because will be preparing with senior team. The same can happen with finnish, swedish clubs. Now it is impossible to predict.

Linköpings HC roster and its senior team
Ideal scenario is that all 91ers and younger will participate, including D Backman or F Nermark who play senior hockey. To be fair, I dont think club will use these pro-prospects.

HIFK Helsinky roster and senior team
Granlund brothers can participate, but Mikael seems to come over in midseason, so will not able to play in Omsk. If he resigns with HIFK, he will can.

Energia Karlove Vary
club wil join MHL in midseason, so they will create new roster with a few czech national team players.