HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Special Teams: The Real Source of Our Problems

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2012, 09:23 AM
  #26
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
Awesome stat of the night through three games... Philadelphia powerplay: 60% (6 goals). Pittsburgh powerplay: 33% (3 goals). Flyers (let's call it) shorthanded play: 33% (3 goals). Yes folks, you read that right. The Flyers have scored just as many shorthanded goals as the Penguins have scored powerplay goals. Not going to win many (any?) series that way...
Allowing 9 goals just off of special teams is embarrassing in itself. Especially considering the fact that we came into the post season as one of the top PP and PK teams in the league. Those 3 SH goals in particular are gonna haunt us for a while though...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
  #27
Reaper1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Allowing 9 goals just off of special teams is embarrassing in itself. Especially considering the fact that we came into the post season as one of the top PP and PK teams in the league. Those 3 SH goals in particular are gonna haunt us for a while though...
And it has to sting that much more for pens fans since Talbot has been the key PK'er for the flyers...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
  #28
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
And it has to sting that much more for pens fans since Talbot has been the key PK'er for the flyers...
It does a bit, but I think the shorthanded goals we are letting in are more to do with the ****** effort that's displayed once the puck crosses the red line on into our zone. It's like everybody on the ice simultaneously forgets how to play defense or that they even HAVE to play defense to get the puck back. It's really pathetic. They seem to think "oh well we have the PP so the other team is going to give the puck back to us eventually, so we aren't going to exert any energy to get it back."

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:39 PM
  #29
66877168
Registered User
 
66877168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Stars killing penalties

Perhaps Bylsma or whoever is behind the bench next year will consider having Crosby and Malkin kill penalties after watching what Philly's stars have done on the PK? Mario killed penalties, Gretzky killed penalties, why don't 87 and 71 kill penalties? I've never understood this. Both players came into the league with reputations as good penalty killers. This has always bugged me, through Therrien and Bylsma's time here.

66877168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:40 PM
  #30
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
Perhaps Bylsma or whoever is behind the bench next year will consider having Crosby and Malkin kill penalties after watching what Philly's stars have done on the PK? Mario killed penalties, Gretzky killed penalties, why don't 87 and 71 kill penalties? I've never understood this. Both players came into the league with reputations as good penalty killers. This has always bugged me, through Therrien and Bylsma's time here.
Stars all over the league kill penalties in this day and age. I'd love to see it happen. It probably won't though.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
  #31
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Allowing 9 goals just off of special teams is embarrassing in itself. Especially considering the fact that we came into the post season as one of the top PP and PK teams in the league. Those 3 SH goals in particular are gonna haunt us for a while though...
We need to refuse the power play next game.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
  #32
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
We need to refuse the power play next game.
...wouldn't be a bad idea.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.