Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Canada U-18's

Old
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
bidzey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Nurse vs Bigras - simply put, stats don't tell the whole story. Teams need some dmen to shutdown their opponents and Nurse adds some size
in the U-17 Nurse was on the power-play line, and Bigras was on the penalty kill, Ontario was down 2 men causing a 5-3 twice in the tournament, the coach put Bigras in that situation, and both times the opposite team did not score. My point is... he can shut doors too.

I know Nurse didn't have the best team in front of him to help him out and maybe the chemistry of the team was a factor for his bad plus/minus rating, but Owen Sound was in really bad shape for the playoffs and Bigras rose to the occasion to do his part, and was labelled the best defensmen on the team for the series by the Kitchener TV announcer... but that's just one's opinion I guess...

Last edited by bidzey: 04-09-2012 at 12:15 PM.
bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:55 AM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Nurse was not even a factor with the U17.
He wasn't even a factor with the U17? So he was named the tournaments best defenseman why?

Not saying his stats were great but he definitely improved as the year progressed.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:50 AM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
what's the difference between this U-18 and the one in August?
Hockey Canada's focus is usually on the Hlinka since it's able to field the country's best team with the CHL's season being done. This allows the summer tournament to provide a better tool for judging talent for the next level event i.e. U-20.

USA Hockey focuses in on the U-18 tournament. The U-18 team that plays in the tournament is mostly made up of the active roster of the U-18 team that plays the regular season schedule in the USHL.

It should be noted that the US U-18 leaves USHL play just to play in this tournament meaning they leave the league as is playoffs or not. The U-17 team picks up the team's absence in the USHL.

I always chuckle at USA Hockey's U-18 "success" although I give them credit for taking full advantage of the situation that the majority of hockey power countries are in i.e. Best U-18 players may be tied up in club league playoffs.

dereksutton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Hockey Canada's focus is usually on the Hlinka since it's able to field the country's best team with the CHL's season being done. This allows the summer tournament to provide a better tool for judging talent for the next level event i.e. U-20.

USA Hockey focuses in on the U-18 tournament. The U-18 team that plays in the tournament is mostly made up of the active roster of the U-18 team that plays the regular season schedule in the USHL.

It should be noted that the US U-18 leaves USHL play just to play in this tournament meaning they leave the league as is playoffs or not. The U-17 team picks up the team's absence in the USHL.

I always chuckle at USA Hockey's U-18 "success" although I give them credit for taking full advantage of the situation that the majority of hockey power countries are in i.e. Best U-18 players may be tied up in club league playoffs.
and the biggest difference is the Ivan Hlinka is not a sanctioned IIHF event. Therefore it's chance for a dual-citizen to still play for country before making a lifetime commitment.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:21 PM
bidzey

Gavrus and Smith Shine at Under 18's

go guys go !!

Old
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
bidzey

Canada 2 - Finland 4

no disrespect to Finland, they are a very respectable oponent in any hockey tournament but I'm not suprised at this lost. They can't even pick the best available players anymore. I've been questioning Nurse as a pick over other available players.

here is what Nurse did in the second period...
01:28 CAN 2 Darnell Nurse (Checking from Behind)
03:28 CAN 2 Darnell Nurse (10-Minute Misconduct)
10:47 CAN 5 Damon Severson (Tripping)
14:01 CAN 11 Branden Troock (Slashing)
14:01 FIN 22 Janne Juutinen (Slashing)
17:43 CAN 27 Adam Pelech (Holding)
18:17 CAN 2 Darnell Nurse (Charging) (PP goal for Fin)

reminds me of the discipline Owen Sound had going into the first 4 games of the playoffs.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Tigers1992

Did you see the game?

Not sure about the hate that Nurse gets. You dont see to many 6'4 defenceman who can skate like him.

What would be the motivation for leaving better players off? He was very solid at the U16's (I was there and saw him play 4 games) and was one of the top performers at that tournament.

Seems like Hockey Canada just rewarded what they saw in Windsor.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Did you see the game?

Not sure about the hate that Nurse gets. You dont see to many 6'4 defenceman who can skate like him.

What would be the motivation for leaving better players off? He was very solid at the U16's (I was there and saw him play 4 games) and was one of the top performers at that tournament.

Seems like Hockey Canada just rewarded what they saw in Windsor.
no, did not see the game, and you don't have too see it to realise Nurse had his shorts tied in a knot in that period. Did you see it?

I watched him play all through out the U17 tournament. First off I don't hate the player, I know he's good, it's just IMO that he is overated. Plain and simple. What I saw in Windsor was the Russians totally dominating them in the last game in overtime when they needed defense the most... do you remember that? Did you watch that game?

Old
04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
no, did not see the game, and you don't have too see it to realise Nurse had his shorts tied in a knot in that period. Did you see it?

I watched him play all through out the U17 tournament. First off I don't hate the player, I know he's good, it's just IMO that he is overated. Plain and simple. What I saw in Windsor was the Russians totally dominating them in the last game in overtime when they needed defense the most... do you remember that? Did you watch that game?
I saw today's game online. If im not there in person, I dont like to comment on it. The hit was an iffy call from what I saw, but I wasn't there. I know some who are there, so I may hear more in a few days.

In regards to the U17's, you can have your opinion, but Im not sure most share it. I was lucky enough to sit with some friends from the QMJHL for a few games, and they raved about him. I also picked Craig Button's brain on him and a few other players, and he loved what he saw as well. Probably why he was named to the U1 all star team, and his performance there is what played a significant factor in him being at the U18's. Thats what was communicated to the Hounds.

With the Ontario U17 team, they where most dffinetly done after the round robin. Just to many injuries to cope. They where down to 8 forwards and 5 defenceman. Outside of Martin, no one really played well in that Russia game.

That said, I never look at a player in a single game scenerio. I judge him on his long term body of work. And from what I can seen from Nurse over the past two years has really impressed. You dont see a player with that potential and ability come around every so often.

Your well within your rights to think he is overrated, but I cant think of anyone I would have chosen over him given who was available, and given his play over the past few years, but more specifically the past 3 months.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 04-16-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old
04-16-2012, 02:28 PM
bidzey

well.. I'll be watching him even closer from now on, to see if I can see what you see in him.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
BigBuck

I think TSN is showing tomorrows game against the US at 2:00 in the afternoon. It should be a good game and a chance to see some good players from the US who could be headed to the OHL in the near future.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
mkraayen

You're correct, TSN will be covering tomorrow's prelim game between Canada & the US, as well as BOTH Semi-finals games and BOTH bronze & gold medal games.

mkraayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:38 PM
OHLFan8771

I haven't heard a whole lot about this tournament but does anyone know how Adam pelech has played?

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:17 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I haven't heard a whole lot about this tournament but does anyone know how Adam pelech has played?
looks like the only available info is this

Old
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
bidzey

can we watch these games online, I know fast hockey has them, but are charging for it. I usually don't mind paying, but for what they charge compared to the resolution you get, it will be a cold day in hell before I purchase that deal.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post

United States 5 - Canada 3
I see what you mean

Old
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
NHL Fanatic

If anyone wants a good livestream

Canada vs USA check it out

http://www.strizna.cz/video/usa-vs-c...final-557.aspx

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
If anyone wants a good livestream

Canada vs USA check it out

http://www.strizna.cz/video/usa-vs-c...final-557.aspx
awesome... I was just looking for that

Old
05-08-2012, 08:25 AM
bidzey

When players get invited to the camp, do they have a tryout? I thought you got an invitation and that was it.

This page
at at canadahockey.ca says this: (bold)
Quote:
Every August, Hockey Canada holds a development/selection camp. Under the watchful eyes of a coaching and scouting staff, the players experience play on an international ice surface and are introduced to many elements of the international hockey experience. At the conclusion of the camp, twenty-two players are named to the National Men's Under-18 Summer Team which takes part in the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka tournament in Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

Last edited by bidzey: 06-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
bidzey

bump

Old
06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
When players get invited to the camp, do they have a tryout? I thought you got an invitation and that was it.

This page
at at canadahockey.ca says this: (bold)
There is a camp. It takes place early August in Toronto.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:31 PM
NHL Fanatic

Ivan Hlinka U18 40 man roster

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...82/la_id/1.htm

Old
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
bidzey

looks like a pretty tough camp

Old
06-15-2012, 04:51 PM
NHL Fanatic

Spencer Martin
Eric Comrie

Darnell Nurse Aaron Ekblad
Jordan Subban Madison Bowey
Josh Morrissey Chris Bigras
Samuel Morin

Jonathan Drouin Nathan MacKinnon Anthony Duclair
Bo Horvat Max Domi Nick Ritchie
Morgan Klimchuk Sam Reinhart Curtis Lazar
Nick Baptiste Ryan Kujawinski Brandon Robinson

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 06-19-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old
06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Spencer Martin
Eric Comrie

Darnell Nurse Aaron Ekblad
Jordan Subban Madison Bowey
Josh Morrissey Chris Bigras

Jonathan Drouin Nathan MacKinnon Anthony Duclair
Bo Horvat Max Domi Nick Ritchie
Morgan Klimchuk Sam Reinhart Curtis Lazar
Nick Baptiste Ryan Kujawinski Brandon Robinson
no Nasty? you're probably right, but I hope Nastasiuk makes it.