HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Up 3-0, yeah, whatever

Old
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
SLang

vCash: 500
Up 3-0, yeah, whatever

OK, so last night's sunk in. Time to look at the next game, the next period. What can the Kings do better? When you look at how they've won in games 2 and 3, it's a surprise they won both games. Game 2 was all about the two shorties. And you can't rely on those types of goals to win. Then last night, 0-for-8 on the power play. That **** ain't gonna fly. We all knew Quick was going to steal a game, and last night was that game.

Carter, where are you? Are you really still hurt, and just in the game to provide the illusion of a potent second scoring line to cause the opposing coach problems with his matchups? If so, that's going to wear thin pretty soon.

And Richards. Epic in the first game, good in the second, but not much going on in the third game. That's not a great trajectory and I'm hoping he comes out hard in Game 4. I have a sneaking suspicion his forearm/wrist was hurt by the Kesler crosscheck off the draw in the game where Kesler made his big "splash". I hope not.

Brown's really carrying this team. I'd like to see some others step up and carry the burden along with him.

If this was the finals, it'd all be sunshine and roses. But it ain't - it's just the first round. Teams are watching and are keying in on weaknesses, ready to exploit them. Overall the feeling I get is they're a bit lucky to have a 3-0 lead. That's not to say they don't deserve it. You have to be lucky AND good.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Until we actually lose a game, I don't care

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
OK, so last night's sunk in. Time to look at the next game, the next period. What can the Kings do better? When you look at how they've won in games 2 and 3, it's a surprise they won both games. Game 2 was all about the two shorties. And you can't rely on those types of goals to win. Then last night, 0-for-8 on the power play. That **** ain't gonna fly. We all knew Quick was going to steal a game, and last night was that game.

Carter, where are you? Are you really still hurt, and just in the game to provide the illusion of a potent second scoring line to cause the opposing coach problems with his matchups? If so, that's going to wear thin pretty soon.

And Richards. Epic in the first game, good in the second, but not much going on in the third game. That's not a great trajectory and I'm hoping he comes out hard in Game 4. I have a sneaking suspicion his forearm/wrist was hurt by the Kesler crosscheck off the draw in the game where Kesler made his big "splash". I hope not.

Brown's really carrying this team. I'd like to see some others step up and carry the burden along with him.

If this was the finals, it'd all be sunshine and roses. But it ain't - it's just the first round. Teams are watching and are keying in on weaknesses, ready to exploit them. Overall the feeling I get is they're a bit lucky to have a 3-0 lead. That's not to say they don't deserve it. You have to be lucky AND good.
The team needs to come out both guns blazing in the first period on Wednesday. Do not let Vancouver get any momentum. If for some reason Vancouver gets an early lead, do not have a meltdown. Be patient play the game with control and intensity and the win should follow.

The mitchrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Sigh .... US = "HEY I JUST WON THE LOTTERY !!!" ... YOU = "yeah but dude you're going to have to pay TAXES, what a bummer." .... SHUT UP , shut up, stop it ... just stop ! it's OK ... we get it ... but it's ok to ENJOY this ... try it ... let go ... there ya go ... see smile ... try it come on ... we know you can do it ... smile ... SMILE DAMMIT !

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It was a rather tight played game with not too many good scoring chances from both sides. The Kings tried to contain Vancouver and as expected, the Canucks were throwing everything they can on net. They weathered the storm, but with two days of rest, I expect the Kings to play more with the puck, especially if they expect to sweep the Canucks on Wednesday. Now it's time we saw a little bit more desperation from the Kings.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Sure Richards didn't show up on the score board last night, but I thought he still had a great game. He played well defensively, was a beast in the face off circle (especially at the end of the game winning 4 of 5 I believe) and still hitting out there. Carter being hurt and King looking like he's going to throw up from nerves last night didn't help.

And I agree with others. We can be much better as a team, but lets just enjoy being up 3-0 for at least another day! We have until Wednesday to enjoy it.

JBernierFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM
topliner967

Defence has been good as usual with Quick bailing them out when needed (Game 3 the Canucks were getting too much time with the puck in the offensive zone though). Goals, I'll take them in whatever way they come

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:12 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Sigh .... US = "HEY I JUST WON THE LOTTERY !!!" ... YOU = "yeah but dude you're going to have to pay TAXES, what a bummer." .... SHUT UP , shut up, stop it ... just stop ! it's OK ... we get it ... but it's ok to ENJOY this ... try it ... let go ... there ya go ... see smile ... try it come on ... we know you can do it ... smile ... SMILE DAMMIT !

I know, I know.....I had a tough time posting this so soon but just had to get the thoughts outta my head! I had a **** eating grin from ear to ear last night walking out of Staples. I was up until 2AM watching the DVR'd game again. We're 3/4 of the way there so I see the glass is 3/4 full. I'm not trying to rain on our parade - I just want to see these guys finish the Canucks off in a destructive fashion!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
jml87

While there are issues, no point in changing anything until they lose. Vancouver played last night as if their life depended on it. After the Kings goal in the 3rd, Kings seemed a lot more active. Carter doesn't look 100% and King was awful last night, so that brings Richards down a little bit. I would move Penner up to the 2nd line but like I said no point in changing anything until they lose a game. They didn't look like they weren't trying, just a product of the president's trophy winners going all out.

That's when your goalie shows up to shut the door and Quick showed the hell up.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Sure Richards didn't show up on the score board last night, but I thought he still had a great game. He played well defensively, was a beast in the face off circle (especially at the end of the game winning 4 of 5 I believe) and still hitting out there. Carter being hurt and King looking like he's going to throw up from nerves last night didn't help.

And I agree with others. We can be much better as a team, but lets just enjoy being up 3-0 for at least another day! We have until Wednesday to enjoy it.
Flyers fan here...it is rare when you see Richards not contributing in the playoffs, so expect him to have another huge game like game one next game. He'll have to continue to be big in the series if the Kings are to move on.

And I'm rooting for you guys...partly though out of my own selfish desires (although the Kings have always been my west coast team) - can you imagine a Kings-Flyers SCF??? Flyers East vs. Flyers West...haha, I'm sure you guys don't see yourselves as Flyers West but seriously, how cool would that series be?!?!

Sweep the crap out of the NUCKS! They don't deserve a shot again after the crap they pulled last year in the playoffs.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Kings looked sluggish, the ice was horrific and probably hard to skate on, both Kings and Canucks were falling right and left and the puck wasn't moving well and constantly on its edge, but they found a way to win and that is what good teams do. I was a little concerned with last night's play, but at the end of the day, all that matters is the W. Hopefully we can close this out and win the series soon to give our guys some extra rest and time to refocus because they looked very unfocused last night.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Wow.

We won three games against the two time Presidents Trophy winners and are the first 8 seed to go up 3-0 in a series in NHL history.

I don't care if we won each game 1-0 in quadruple overtime while being outshot 113-7 and the Nucks having hit 14 goal posts. We ****ing won three straight games over the Canucks. The last time we were this close to winning a playoff round, Pavel Bure was the league's best goalscorer/player and we were playing Stu Grimson on a regular basis.

Enjoy it.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The Kings were sluggish and won. This was also the toughest possible matchup for the Kings, without question. Yet they've won 3 straight. What does that say about the Kings? That they can beat anybody in a 7 game series.

So yes, enjoy it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The Kings were sluggish and won. This was also the toughest possible matchup for the Kings, without question. Yet they've won 3 straight. What does that say about the Kings? That they can beat anybody in a 7 game series.

So yes, enjoy it.

I have to disagree with you.

On paper, yes the canucks are the toughest team. Presidents trophy, the sedins, whatnot, they are an offensive powerhouse. We can question their defense but the matter of fact is that we are a defensive power house. I think a lot of us are still underrating our team (which is a good thing i guess, we don't want to be cocky, we want to be confident and humble at the same time). I was very happy that we are playing against the canucks. I think we would have a tougher time against the Blues and/or the Blackhawks. I felt our best chances to advance to the next round would be against the Canucks. We've played them before in the playoffs and with Daniel out of the lineup, our chances of stealing the series was even greater.

I think SLang you made a lot of sense your post. I agree with you in all fine prints. Game 1 was our best game. 2 and 3, it was more of a defensive battle. Our goalie came out strong and our players played well defensively. Heck, Penner and Stoll looked completely different. I'm actually very happy with their performance and skating ability. I think Sutter has truly turned this team around. I spoke a lot about our killer instinct when this team was managed by TM. That is why I questioned Brown's captaincy. I'm glad I was proven wrong because Brown has improved A LOT under Sutter. He seems more vocal and I understand everyone on the team likes him but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a good leader. The hit on sedin last night was an example of a momentum shift. I know brown has always been great on the forecheck and is always dazzling us with dekes, but in all honesty, the guy has really turned this team around and I am grateful for that.

As for Carter he's been very quiet in the playoffs. Perhaps he is still trying to get over the injury but I do want to see him produce more points.

Richards on the other hand has been nothing but solid. Game 1 was his best performance. Game 2 and 3, he's been great defensively, especially on the PK.

I think a lot of us tend to forget that this team is built around defense. Mitchell, Greene, and Scuds have been nothing but spectacular. These guys have helped JQuick become who he is now. I think without these three, JQuick would be a "good" goalie but not considered a Vezina candidate.

As for luck, I agree this team has the blessing from the Hockey Gods, but more so, it's the chemistry that we are developing, it's browns leadership of setting examples, it's is the hunger and killer instinct, and sutter's influence and mangement style. But most importantly, the reason why we are leading this series is because of the great defensive players we have and JQuick.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
eleventy

There was something interesting Glen Murray said during the post-game show last night. From a player's perspective, he said the Kings would need to find a way to make Vancouver give up on themselves early. They're already down in the series 3-0, and an early game deficit can make a huge difference in the mental game for a team trying to stave off elimination. Anything to make them doubt themselves can have an impact on how they play the game.

I hope the Kings recognize this, because it's time to close it out. Don't give Vancouver any reason to think they still have a shot in this series.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:51 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Why does no one give Vancouver credit in games 2 and 3? Yes game one was our best game but it's easy for it to be our best game when Vancouver is going out of their way to play like a bunch of asmatic inbreds who are flapping their gums, diving and running people.

Vancouver settled down and tried to play their game in games two and three. We still won and we still did so well. The shot clock is desieving, especially in game 2. We relied on Quick a bit more in game three, but overall we played Vancouver hard and well every game as a team. We played Vancouver on their terms in game two and three and won both.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:53 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
There was something interesting Glen Murray said during the post-game show last night. From a player's perspective, he said the Kings would need to find a way to make Vancouver give up on themselves early. They're already down in the series 3-0, and an early game deficit can make a huge difference in the mental game for a team trying to stave off elimination. Anything to make them doubt themselves can have an impact on how they play the game.

I hope the Kings recognize this, because it's time to close it out. Don't give Vancouver any reason to think they still have a shot in this series.
If I'm Darryl Sutter I show everyone clips of games 4, 5 and 6 of the Nucks/Hawks and Wings/Sharks last year.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post

I'm enjoying the hell out of the Kings being up 3-0, absolutely. AND, I can't see a single thing wrong with SLang's post. I'm going to enjoy this until Wednesday, but I'm not going to pretend the Kings have done anything other than go up 3-0 in the first round.

I'm in the middle

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
This is true. We need to sweep so Carter can heal. Also, to get Clifford and Richardson so King has less pressure. His problems now with being lost and nervous look exactly what happened last year when he hit the NHL. Hopefully he can get it together soon. Nolan, Voynov, and Martinez are also playing like...well, rookies, compared to how they were in the regular season.

Carter needs to score on the pp. Being injured is no excuse not to do that. Williams is playing like complete crap. The starts of periods need to be much better.

Stoll and Penner are playing like adequate third liners. Greene and Brown are doing the best of their careers. Lewis is stepping up. To go far in the playoffs, the good needs to continue and the bad needs to end. Then, every game will be winnable, even against the best. Without that, there will be a short playoffs.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Shane Churla
Rookie User

Carter has been a non factor
Richards had a terrific game 1 but his play since has subsided
Kopitar is playing average when he has way more to give
Brown is a one man wrecking machine. He is carrying the Kings, by hitting, scoring, agitating the Canucks.
Quick is playing brilliantly

Been impressed with Mitchell and his rock solid defensive play.

Canucks should have won game 3 as they were the better team. Kings better not slack with a 3-0 lead or else they could very well see Vancouver come back and win this series. With Sedin coming back to play it makes Vancouver's PP and scoring more lethal

Shane Churla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If I'm Darryl Sutter....

I show everyone clips of games 4, 5 and 6 of the Nucks/Hawks and Wings/Sharks last year.

... how much carrying-around cash do I budget for game 4?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Dont forget Kopitar, those sick moves on that pk let Brown score. We have sick pk'ers up front.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:23 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Honestly it felt as though Darryl told the team to play a road game at home. It was expected the Canucks would throw the kitchen sink at the Kings, and they managed to weather that storm.

Ay road team would take a tie game after 40 minutes. I thought the Kings played an excellent road game at home.

(on TERRIBLE ice. Seriously... It was the worst I'd ever seen it.)

We'll see on Wednesday. Embarrassment is the hardest foe to overcome, and the Canucks will want to avoid being swept at all costs.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post

Look...I understand the need for restraint because it's only 3-0 and it takes 4 wins to win the series..yada yada yada. But at this point, the Kings have shown that they can handle the Canucks even if they're not on top of their game. I attribute this to the "system" everybody maligns. I don't want the Kings to go into Game 4 thinking they're the ones under tremendous pressure.

At this point, the Canucks have NO idea what they're gonna have to do to win a game.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:39 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Churla View Post
Carter has been a non factor
Richards had a terrific game 1 but his play since has subsided
Kopitar is playing average when he has way more to give
Brown is a one man wrecking machine. He is carrying the Kings, by hitting, scoring, agitating the Canucks.
Quick is playing brilliantly

Been impressed with Mitchell and his rock solid defensive play.

Canucks should have won game 3 as they were the better team. Kings better not slack with a 3-0 lead or else they could very well see Vancouver come back and win this series. With Sedin coming back to play it makes Vancouver's PP and scoring more lethal

Richards is still playing great. He's being matched up against Kesler and doing a great job.

Still nothing official on Sedin playing, I don't think he's even cleared for contact or taken any since the keith incident.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote