HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the window closed?

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 11:01 AM
SundanceKid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
The 90's Penguins had their core and could never pull it off again. I'm seeing a repeat of that scenario. It has nothing to do with Crosby and Malkin. Lemieux and Jagr were the best in the world as well, but they never again had the right blend of players behind them.
Yes they did. They won 2 Stanley cups back to back in 91 and 92. something the pens nowadays couldn't do, but did manage to get the finals twice in a row

Old
04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
SirBrad

As long as they have a healthy Crosby, Malkin, Letang (and Staal and Fleury as much as it's not helping now) and Neal, they have a shot to win the cup.

They need to re-build around those guys a little. I think Dupuis and Kunitz are the only role players worth keeping around.

Asham, Adams, TK, Park, Sullivan should all be moved. I think I'd also be inclined to move Cooke.

And then the defense, 2 of 4/44/7 should be moved out this summer.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Maybe we can score 9 goals on Wednesday. Do you think that will get us the W?
I thought we were playing on Tuesday?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
This is easily the dumbest thread i've seen in a long time. We've got Sid back healthy, the soon-to-be-Hart trophy winner, a perennial Norris candidate, a 40 goal sniper, a guy who was in the discussion for the Vezina the past two years, and a Selke runner-up two-way power forward still years away from his prime, and we're asking if the window has closed because we don't have the right "role players"?

It's amazing how quickly a disappointing playoff series will turn this place into a panicked mess.
Welcome to life as a Caps' fan on HFB.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I thought we were playing on Tuesday?
No. Thank God, it's on Wednesday.

Old
04-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Rob Scuderi

Yep, the core's simply too old to build a winner around

Old
04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
No. Our highest paid d-man sucks at playing hockey

Fleury is in one of his slumps aftrer having a great season. I think that hit to the head he took messed him up a bit
you missed the part where our 2nd and 3rd highest paid d men suck at playing D too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yes because he doesn't usually play this terrible. Fans that don't see all of our games might think he's always like this, but he isn't. He was remarkably consistent from the late fall/early winter of 2010 until the last 2 weeks of this regular season and the playoffs. I have no idea what has happened to him down the stretch.
IMO his play this season is what masked how bad the D was. The times BJ was in net showed how bad the D was. And in the instances where MAF didn't stand on his head the offense went berserk. I mean Thiessen managed to go 3-1 with a .876sv% and 3.75 GAA. Problem is in the playoffs there are no Winnipeg Jets to beat 8-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
As long as they have a healthy Crosby, Malkin, Letang (and Staal and Fleury as much as it's not helping now) and Neal, they have a shot to win the cup.

They need to re-build around those guys a little. I think Dupuis and Kunitz are the only role players worth keeping around.

Asham, Adams, TK, Park, Sullivan should all be moved. I think I'd also be inclined to move Cooke.

And then the defense, 2 of 4/44/7 should be moved out this summer.
Cooke with his transformation into a goal scorer will probably finish out his contract, but the rest of them can go, get some more girt back and go back to being a team built for the post season that is hard to play against

Old
04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Karnage420

our window has not closed.

but compared to a team with a wide open window for the next three years and a team that is built to dominate us (the flyers) it makes another championship incredibly unlikely.

feelsbadman.jpg

Old
04-16-2012, 02:17 PM
RyK15*

Has the window closed for the Pens? Let's hope so.

But seriously, all they really need is some retooling Paul Holmgren style. That man is a damn genius.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryb View Post

But seriously, all they really need is some retooling Paul Holmgren style. That man is a damn genius.
Yeah until they get their butt's tossed out of the playoffs by some one who can play defense. Then Holmgren will be hearing it again.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
I blame eXile59's clothing selection for the losses.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I blame eXile59's clothing selection for the losses.
It's been cold out recently. Not wearing my shirt would be illogical.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:29 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Yeah until they get their butt's tossed out of the playoffs by some one who can play defense. Then Holmgren will be hearing it again.
No, he's actually done quite well. Ask a level-headed Penguins fan. And someone who can actually play D? You mean we won't be scoring 8 goals every game??????? You're right! We have no chance at winning with only 3 or 4 goals.....

Old
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
No, he's actually done quite well. Ask a level-headed Penguins fan. And someone who can actually play D? You mean we won't be scoring 8 goals every game??????? You're right! We have no chance at winning with only 3 or 4 goals.....
You really think some one like the Rangers are going to let you make cross crease passes with regularity? The way this series has went has less to with Paul Holmgren & more to do with Dan Bylsma.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

We really do need to clear out some of the vets on this team that have too much influence in the locker room. The team needs to retool.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
You really think some one like the Rangers are going to let you make cross crease passes with regularity? The way this series has went has less to with Paul Holmgren & more to do with Dan Bylsma.
Wow, refusing to give the Flyers any credit and instead going with the "we gave it to you" defense. Bravo.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Wow, refusing to give the Flyers any credit and instead going with the "we gave it to you" defense. Bravo.
Your acting like Paul Holmgren is genius for constantly blowing up his team & you haven't even won anything yet. Right now you feel like your team is the 80's Oiler's.

And the beginning of game 1 every one of you wanted his head & now he is the greatest GM to ever exist. Get a grip on your self.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Matt Damon

I don't know as much about the Pens as you guys, but seems to me with Letang being only 24 and Despres, Morrow, Harrington all with realistic top 4 potential, then Bortuzzo & Strait rounding it out the Penguins could have one of the better defenses in the league in a few years providing these guys pan out. Combine that with the offense and it's tough to see that window closing. Or maybe that's being too optimistic.

I'm wondering what route they go on draft day. Obviously Fleury is the guy, but do they draft a Subban or Vasilevski for 4 or 5 years down the road?

Old
04-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
our window has not closed.

but compared to a team with a wide open window for the next three years and a team that is built to dominate us (the flyers) it makes another championship incredibly unlikely.

feelsbadman.jpg
This.

Scary thing is the Flyers are still missing some good players. But this series shouldn't be an indication of a window closing, just a bad matchup for PIT.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Do you Pens fans feel that you can ever win a Cup with Fleury again?
Yes... this defense and team defense would make any goalie look bad. Then MAF gets down on himself and plays bad.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
Free Agency accelerates the breakdown of great teams. Have the Penguins lost too many role players to make another serious run?
Not even close. This team will be one of the top 5 teams for at least another 6-8 years

Old
04-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 93
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Trade Sid and Malkin for picks and let's get this rebuild going.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

This thread is too stupid to take seriously.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yes... this defense and team defense would make any goalie look bad. Then MAF gets down on himself and plays bad.
Correct

Old
04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yeah it's really a self fulfilling prophecy because the defense then plays even worse since they don't think their goalie can bail them out...

ugh, I wish we could use the MiB mind wiping device on the team. Just get them to forget about everything that's happened against Philly this year and start over fresh.

Closed Thread