HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Where is the Kimmo Love?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
Where is the Kimmo Love?

One thing that got lost yesterday is how ballsy of a game Kimmo played. Dude had his first career fight (although he got whooped lol), stood up for his team and himself, and has just been a great leader.

I love this guy, he should have been the captain since Jason Smith left, or maybe even that year. He has heart, plays his ass off every game, handles himself with class and has just been amazing. Yesterday, gramps even threw down with a pretty skilled fighter. Kimmo stepped up another notch in my books yesterday.

There's a good article on him, too, with his comments about the playoffs so far:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=628063

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
achdumeingute

KT has been absolutely awesome since he came here. I agree, should have been the captain a long time ago.

The only issue i have with his play is he cannot clear the net very effectively, just too small (trys hard as heck to do it though). This is why I think Coburn is a MUCH better fit than Carle with him.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
sxHarr05

I think the Kimmo Love is shown here the way it is in real life. You don't hear it talked about because he's a guy, like Eric Desjardins, who goes about his business quietly and professionally and does a very good job at it. It becomes expected to the point that you only hear about a bad game. Rico is one of my all time favorites and Kimmo, to me, is this generation's version of him.

And for what it's worth, he gets a ton of respect from me for not only getting in Crosby's face, but then answering the bell with Letang. I would've accepted him turtling (a la Matt Carle v. Sean Avery last year) as it was his first fight, but he manned up and even landed a few WITH his sweater over his head. Then had the guts to face the cameras with that shiner starting to show through.

Props to you, Mr. Timonen.

sxHarr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Broad st phantom

Kimmo is the man, I did find them going after Kimmo a complete ***** move though, he is not a fighter, but props to kimmo.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
A lot of people what revenge on Neal and rightfully so, but Letang also has a target on his back after fighting Kimmo. Letang is goin to get it one way or another.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
CoolinWithCosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
A lot of people what revenge on Neal and rightfully so, but Letang also has a target on his back after fighting Kimmo. Letang is goin to get it one way or another.
what's being missed by a lot of fans here is that after the fight Letang put his finger up to his mouth (ala Talbot vs Carcillo) as if to shut up the crowd. i'm sure the flyers players didn't like that and might have something to say about it on wed night.

CoolinWithCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

I would like to see letang fight Simmonds but that'll never happen. Props to kimmo

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Honestly as much as I want to see physical revenge I'd rather just win game 4. Wait til the regular season to just destroy them.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
KT has been absolutely awesome since he came here. I agree, should have been the captain a long time ago.

The only issue i have with his play is he cannot clear the net very effectively, just too small (trys hard as heck to do it though). This is why I think Coburn is a MUCH better fit than Carle with him.
Timonen-Carle isn't a perfect fit by any means, but it would be tough to break up the Coburn-Grossmann pairing. If Bourdon can come back and take Lilja's place, I wouldn't be opposed to try out a Timonen-Kubina pairing. It might be a bit on the slow side these days, but I think it might work. Kubina could focus on being the stay-at-home guy, and he'll also help with the crease-clearing somewhat, and allow Timonen to roam a little freer offensively, like he could do with Coburn as his partner.

I thought Timonen was really good in game 2, hopefully the (almost) extra day off he got due to the game misconduct will help him to preserve some energy. We'll need a strong Timonen if we are to go deeper into these playoffs than the second round.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Timonen and Carle have to play together simply beacuse of the minutes they can log. Kubina and Lilja can't play top four minutes any longer. The Coburn/Grossmann pair has been phenomenal and they should continue to play together.

If the Flyers go far enough to get Mez back, I hope they roll the top 5 heavily and use the 6th guy sparingly.

04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I love kimmo, but he is not the player he once was. He unfortunately is a liability out there.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:35 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I love kimmo, but he is not the player he once was. He unfortunately is a liability out there.
I think this is wildly unfounded.

He's still very darned good as a defender.

Old
04-16-2012, 04:40 PM
mirimon

Yeah, Timonen might show signs of ageing, and he can't play 25 minutes a game anymore, but he's definitely not a liability out on the ice.

Old
04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
It's everywhere!

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
wat

[The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.]

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
How many times this year has he been on the powerplay, and let a puck go by and give up a shortie attempt or take a wild penalty to stop the 1 on 1. I feel he can get away with his bad play while other can't. To be frank, his play has dropped off significantly the 2nd half of the year for the past 3 years.

Kimmo is a flyer legend, But i dont have confidence in his play anymore.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:32 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Kimmo was on the ice for 4 GA so far.

G2 Crosby 0:15
- Basically a 2-on-2 thanks to whatever the forwards were doing on that play. Sullivan came a little bit from behind and was out of Kimmo's reach (again were was the winger?). Crosby was Carle's man.
G2 Kunitz 9:27 PP
- Kimmo went too agressively after Malkin, leaving Grossmann with Kunitz in front of the net and Sullivan on the outside. Malkin passed to Neal, who went around Giroux and Nick had to watch for three players. Kimmo came too late to disturb Kunitz. I'd give him the majority of the blame here.
G2 Kunitz 31:10 PP
- Complete cluster****. Giroux loses the FO and lets Malkin skate past by him. Kimmo's the only man deep, Coburn's on the right wing on Kunitz, Talbot's on Malkin, and Giroux is behind the play. Malkin with the no look pass to an open Neal, Bryz with the big rebound and Coburn let's Kunitz skate in front of him for the easy goal. I don't see Neal being Kimmo's man there. That's more on Giroux/Coburn/Bryz, but it was a team **** up.
G3 Staal 3:52 4o4
- Softie by Bryz. And Staal was Carle's man, so he wasn't even responsible for the shot getting to the net.

So of the 9 goals the Pens scored with Kimmo in the line-up, only one can be argued to be his fault (and it was a PPG).
I fail to see how this makes him a liability. Wanna see one, look at #7 of the Penguins.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:32 PM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
How many times this year has he been on the powerplay, and let a puck go by and give up a shortie attempt or take a wild penalty to stop the 1 on 1. I feel he can get away with his bad play while other can't. To be frank, his play has dropped off significantly the 2nd half of the year for the past 3 years.

i don't know, three? four?

if this is the basis for your lack of confidence, it's pretty weak. kimmo has been the only defenseman we have that can consistently create chances from the blue line. he's had to step up big time without pronger in the lineup, but i'm not sure why a couple of failed keep-ins has destroyed your confidence in him.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Wait... what? Statistically he had his BEST season in the orange and black. He had a tremendous season. Dont know what your talking about...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:54 PM
demarco16

Dont even have to state my appreciation and gratitude to that warrior.

Only gonna say thank you Timo.

demarco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait... what? Statistically he had his BEST season in the orange and black. He had a tremendous season. Dont know what your talking about...
To be fair, I agree with him that there are signs to Timonen tiring as the season chugs along. It's not something new to this season either, but it's perhaps a little more visible than previous seasons.

That doesn't make him a liability however. For the first 30 games or so, Timonen was playing at a level where a Norris nominee wasn't out of the question. The rest of his season didn't hold up to that level, let's say he's a really good top four dman out there now.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

Its not easy to beat someone when you are flat footed trying to hold a puck in and they have a full head of steam rushing out to you. If they chip the puck by, its off to the races.

Its also a bit of a function of the umbrella powerplay that we are using, generally we only have one guy at the line.

KT has produced FAR more positive plays than negative.

If you want to see our biggest liability on defense, wait until Mez comes back.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Miss Mess

He is the man. He has been everything to this team's defense for years now.

Quote:

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
thephillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Timonen and Carle have to play together simply beacuse of the minutes they can log. Kubina and Lilja can't play top four minutes any longer. The Coburn/Grossmann pair has been phenomenal and they should continue to play together.

If the Flyers go far enough to get Mez back, I hope they roll the top 5 heavily and use the 6th guy sparingly.
Remember last year, and for that matter, we more or less played a pure 4 player defense. Last year it was Mesz, the year before that Pronger with Carle, Timo and Coburn. The 5th and 6th guys mostly rolled with one of the top4, very seldom put together, and even when they were on for a shift with one of the top guys they only played soft minutes. We played Krajicek, Parent, Bartulis and so on in that role.

It would be frickin' phenomenal to play a 5 man D...

Edit: Even though Timonen have never logged big minutes in even strength for the Flyers, not even close to what say Carle logs, he always have logged (by far) the most PP and PK time to put him first in ice time or at least close to what Carle, Coburn and Mesz can log, but now he can't even seem to do that. We'll get so punished if Meszaros can't come back 'cause we can't play a 4-man D with Timonen not being able to log the big minutes, and seeing Lilja, Bourdon and Kubina taking the ice... It just won't do it. Especially when we have such a light-weight and soft pairing as Carle and Timo, Timo hasn't looked his usual dominant self at all these playoffs... Timo has single-handedly shut down Kovalev, Ovechkin, Crosby and the like in previous playoffs, but now... Well we have the Coburn pairing for that, but Timo has been the playoff performer from the defense, at least as good as Briere has been upfront, ever since he came here.

We need that to have a chance on big, strong, defensive teams like NYR and LAK.

thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote