HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

WCQF GM 3: Canucks 0 @ Kings 1

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
All this Ballard talk and I thought he was really good last night, especially considering what a long lay-off he's had. AV even threw him some PP and PK time.
Funny, in panic mode now AV puts Ballard on both the PP and PK..

GUESS WHAT AV? Experimenting is meant for the REGULAR SEASON.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
All this Ballard talk and I thought he was really good last night, especially considering what a long lay-off he's had. AV even threw him some PP and PK time.
Noticed that. I thought he looked very strong out there, but I think people's expectations for him (and Booth) are based on their large contracts. And right now, everything is going to be under the microscope for a lot of people. C'est la vie.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Booth has also been dissapointing, I rather have Samuelsson and his clutch goals and cheap contract anyday then 4.5 million dollar David Booth.
Booth played well last night and in the two games before. Better than his two linemates. One of them even makes more than Booth. Do you only look at the stat sheet or something?

Old
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Booth played well last night and in the two games before. Better than his two linemates. One of them even makes more than Booth. Do you only look at the stat sheet or something?
Personally I never understand people playing "well" when the results don't translate in the score sheet... maybe defensively, but it's like saying Raymond is fast and "create chances" with no results.

Booth has been an inconsistent and sub-par forward all season long, and it's creeping into the playoffs.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
He looked pretty solid, but I've been burned before by a solid looking Ballad turning into Eric Weinrich the following game.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:45 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Grabner wouldn't have been on the roster period come playoff time *BECAUSE* of his lazy uninspired play. And he's a "20 goal scorer on a lottery pick team". Big deal. Ask the Flames how that worked acquiring all those former Leaf players.

I'll repeat part of my post (which you likely didn't read as I added it later):
I don't see how you can argue Grabner is only scoring the way he is because he is on a lousy team and then turn around and trash the coaching staff for not utilizing Ballard after he was a great Dman on lousy teams.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
I don't see how you can argue Grabner is only scoring the way he is because he is on a lousy team and then turn around and trash the coaching staff for not utilizing Ballard after he was a great Dman on lousy teams.
He's scoring because he was picked up off the scrap heap and given an opportunity he wasn't going to get anywhere else around the league.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
He looked pretty solid, but I've been burned before by a solid looking Ballad turning into Eric Weinrich the following game.
He's looked consistently solid when paired with Tanev in my opinion. Unfortunately we didn't see it much during the season because Gillis insisted on having Tanev in the minors all year. Of course, with Ballard's injury I suppose that's a moot point anyway.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
He's looked consistently solid when paired with Tanev in my opinion. Unfortunately we didn't see it much during the season because Gillis insisted on having Tanev in the minors all year. Of course, with Ballard's injury I suppose that's a moot point anyway.
Wasn't he paired with Tanev when he slotted in during the finals? He was ghastly.

Don't get me wrong, I was Ballard's most vehement defender for the longest time. He's just burned me once too often. "Ballard's playing well!", I'd say, and the next minute he'd fall down and cough up the puck in the slot for a back breaking goal.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Wasn't he paired with Tanev when he slotted in during the finals? He was ghastly.

Don't get me wrong, I was Ballard's most vehement defender for the longest time. He's just burned me once too often. "Ballard's playing well!", I'd say, and the next minute he'd fall down and cough up the puck in the slot for a back breaking goal.
No, he was generally paired with Bieksa (blaaaargh) I think.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
You've made a committment (not just assets but cap space) to a player. I think you would do the most to put said player in a position to succeed (or at the very least, make the player look better than he is so you can unload him).

Now you're stuck with a big contract that's immovable (if you're own coaching staff won't use him - how can you pawn him off on somebody else? *THAT* is my beef with Bowness).

Old
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
No, he was generally paired with Bieksa (blaaaargh) I think.
Oh dear. That's not really fair to either of them, is it? The chances of them colliding behind the opposition net while venturing wildly out of position is just too high.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Funny, in panic mode now AV puts Ballard on both the PP and PK..

GUESS WHAT AV? Experimenting is meant for the REGULAR SEASON.
A little hard considering Ballard was on LTIR and has just returned to the line-up.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Oh dear. That's not really fair to either of them, is it? The chances of them colliding behind the opposition net while venturing wildly out of position is just too high.
They did trip over themselves on a goal against, I remember it well. Can't remember if it was Game 3 or 4, though.

EDIT: Found it quick, they didn't really collide or anything but they gave away the puck three or four times in the same sequence. -_- 3rd goal against in Game 4.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Personally I never understand people playing "well" when the results don't translate in the score sheet... maybe defensively, but it's like saying Raymond is fast and "create chances" with no results.

Booth has been an inconsistent and sub-par forward all season long, and it's creeping into the playoffs.
There's three forwards on a line for a reason. If one guy is playing well while the other two are doing nothing then even guys like Malkin and Crosby will be useless. Criticizing a player for not taking the whole opposing team by himself is a little silly and counter-productive, that's why people watch the games and pay attention to who's playing well and who isn't.

Put Booth on the Kings and he likely has more than a few points with the kind of effort and play he has delivered.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Wetcoaster

I do not understand the claim that the Canucks have to adapt their game and system to Ballard.

If Ballard was a superstar/generational talent then maybe but he is not. He is expected to play within the system and making bad reads and poor decisions while contributing little offensively and getting injured has been the hallmarks of his career thus far in Vancouver.

When he was obtained I thought he would be a good fit but so far that has not been the case.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Put Booth on the Kings and he likely has more than a few points with the kind of effort and play he has delivered.
Aside from game 1, I don't really think "effort" is the issue. I see a lot of guys skating miles and accomplishing next to nothing. The problems seem more systemic to me than personnel based. I may be wrong though. I'm just a fan, not an analyst.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I do not understand the claim that the Canucks have to adapt their game and system to Ballard.

If Ballard was a superstar/generational talent then maybe but he is not. He is expected to play within the system and making bad reads and poor decisions while contributing little offensively and getting injured has been the hallmarks of his career thus far in Vancouver.

When he was obtained I thought he would be a good fit but so far that has not been the case.
Because not every player plays the same way. Ballard is better at playing his way and will accomplish more doing so, instead of trying to reform him at his age, it would make more sense to come up with ways of making him fit into the system.

If we had our pick of defensemen then it would make sense to have a system and plug holes in it, but we don't. We have the players we have and they all have different strengths. Just like we cater to the Sedins' strengths by giving them large amounts of offensive zone starts, AV should've found a way to cater to Ballard's strengths so he could be a positive contributor like he was everywhere else. This isn't about making some swooping adjustments to fit Ballard in, it's about making those little tweaks and letting the player play through some of his issues to gain confidence.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Our Mistake Started when we got rid of Erhoff and Samuelsson.

We turned our skilled puck moving team that made us so successful in 2011, to a team that dump the puck and chase around...

Personally this team looks exactly like the 08, 09 Canuck teams. We have gone back in circles.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Our Mistake Started when we got rid of Erhoff and Samuelsson.

We turned our skilled puck moving team that made us so successful in 2011, to a team that dump the puck and chase around...

Personally this team looks exactly like the 08, 09 Canuck teams. We have gone back in circles.
Samuelsson? The guy was a non-factor last year.

Ehrhoff I agree with, but it really comes down to this...when your top two centres play like freaking garbage you aren't accomplishing anything.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:20 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Grabner wouldn't have been on the roster period come playoff time *BECAUSE* of his lazy uninspired play. And he's a "20 goal scorer on a lottery pick team". Big deal. Ask the Flames how that worked acquiring all those former Leaf players.
He wouldn't have been on the roster? He is better than Raymond and he is getting top minutes. Scoring on ****** teams doesn't mean you are ******.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:24 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Come on guys don't be so down, we can still pull this out in 7!!! Go Nucks! I really do not know what bandwagon I will join if you guys lose, so pull out a win in game 4 please!

Old
04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Approaching 1,000 Posts. Shutting this down.

Closed.

Closed Thread