HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL 2011-2012

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Jussha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I can relate.
I hate losing.
Well, I've actually grown up a bit. But... I hate losing to a team I hate.
its ok to hate losing, and you want those types of players on your team, but the way he handles himself when losing is an embarrassment and I can't stand the looks he puts on his face when he is pissed off, he comes off as a spoiled rich kid that expects everything to go his way to me that I'd wanna curb stomp if I ever got the chance

Old
04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Quick is a little better than a lot of people think. He has been doing this for the better part of two seasons. It isn't going to go away suddenly. The Vancouver injuries are a problem, but I have thought for weeks LA is a nightmare to play in the playoffs, just thought Vancouver would handle them.

LA is big, has a deep D, good goalie and some very high end talent. It isn't fluke, especially if St. Louis survives, of the two anemically challenged offensive teams I have a lot more faith in Richards and Kopitar delivering tight checking games.
yeah I thought Vancouver would beat them in 7 games

at this point I think Los Angeles should be considered the favorite to come out of the West

Old
04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
He is a hell of a player, but he is a poor loser.
This.

Pretty much why I dislike the guy so much, and get such a delight out of watching Pittsburgh suffer (well, that, and their ungodly annoying fans). If he'd just show an ounce of humility and class, it'd really go a long way... but he doesn't. He whines, he cries, he throws a fit, and acts like such a child when everything doesn't go his way. It's embarrassing, especially for the so-called "face" of the NHL.

I'll never deny his talent; he's one incredible hockey player all the way through. Attitude-wise, he needs to do some serious soul-searching, though.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
This.

Pretty much why I dislike the guy so much, and get such a delight out of watching Pittsburgh suffer (well, that, and their ungodly annoying fans). If he'd just show an ounce of humility and class, it'd really go a long way... but he doesn't. He whines, he cries, he throws a fit, and acts like such a child when everything doesn't go his way. It's embarrassing, especially for the so-called "face" of the NHL.

I'll never deny his talent; he's one incredible hockey player all the way through. Attitude-wise, he needs to do some serious soul-searching, though.
But it spices up the game. We need some nastiness. Don't we?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:02 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Don Cherry had his best coaches' corner in a long time last night.

I'm not coming around on Crosby like Cherry did. But as crazy as it sounds, I think there's something a bit admirable about losing your marbles every other shift on national TV. Crosby's going all in. Sometimes, when you invest that much emotion into something, you lose it when it goes wrong.

Most awesome is Cherry's defense of the rough stuff, and his calling out of the media for being so god damn wimpy about everything.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...23645631&tab=1

Ron Maclean, Mr-Campaign-for-long-suspensions, has become a complete weenie

Old
04-17-2012, 01:04 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

If you don't like it, take up tennis. Oh Sweet love, in your white shots

Old
04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
IITITANIUMII

Quote:

I'm not coming around on Crosby like Cherry did. But as crazy as it sounds, I think there's something a bit admirable about losing your marbles every other shift on national TV. Crosby's going all in. Sometimes, when you invest that much emotion into something, you lose it when it goes wrong.

Most awesome is Cherry's defense of the rough stuff, and his calling out of the media for being so god damn wimpy about everything.

Actually pretty good stuff for once

Old
04-17-2012, 04:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

I disagree with the Crosby comments. I think it is the ultimate protect the Canadian wonder boy comments. He would hammer Ovie for doing something similar and would be crushing him even if his whole team is failing around him. Just saying, his double standards are pretty old. I like to watch him and have always got good laughs, but you have to know what he is. Actually agreeing with him is dangerous. The shots at Sedin are a perfect example.

I believe the rough stuff should stay, but probably not for the same reasons Don Cherry does.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I disagree with the Crosby comments. I think it is the ultimate protect the Canadian wonder boy comments. He would hammer Ovie for doing something similar and would be crushing him even if his whole team is failing around him. Just saying, his double standards are pretty old. I like to watch him and have always got good laughs, but you have to know what he is. Actually agreeing with him is dangerous. The shots at Sedin are a perfect example.

I believe the rough stuff should stay, but probably not for the same reasons Don Cherry does.
Historically, Cherry has been kinder to Ovie and tougher on Crosby.

His comments about the Sedins are right on the money.

They don't get it.

They think hockey is the sport where you work hard, make nice plays, play by the rules and spend the off-season vacationing on your yacht.
If it was that easy...if it was just about who works hardest and plays best, it wouldn't be half as exciting as it is.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:26 PM
14ari13

Quote:

Well, I did not like Crosby before, but this series made me make up my mind. I like/love the series and I love that Crosby is mixing it up.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
chances14

Quote:

i don't normally agree with his stereotypical views but he was dead on about the media

Old
04-17-2012, 08:13 PM
sarcastro

I don't know which one will do it, but one of those two teams will come back from 0-3.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I don't know which one will do it, but one of those two teams will come back from 0-3.
3 wins for pens would be awesome. imagine a game 7 of that series. but of course a late flyers win. a giroux goal after a crosby turnover would do it for me.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:35 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

The ratings for these playoffs are gonna be abysmal.

Detroit, Van, Pitt, and maybe Chicago all out in the first round.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
They think hockey is the sport where you work hard, make nice plays, play by the rules and spend the off-season vacationing on your yacht.
If it was that easy...if it was just about who works hardest and plays best, it wouldn't be half as exciting as it is.
You know so much more about hockey than the Sedins.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:08 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
You know so much more about hockey than the Sedins.
Haha.
I know they are cut out for the NHL playoffs.

Truthfully, I think they know it too.
So, know, I don't know more than they do.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:41 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

MOD

Daniel Sedin's stats last year;
Vs Chicago:
7 games 5 goals 2 assists -2
Vs Nashville
6 games 1 goal 2 assists -6
Vs SJ
6 Games 2 goals 3 assists +4
Vs Boston
7 Games 1 goal 3 assists -5

The dude managed 9 + 11 in 25 games.
Yet he was -9.

The tougher the sledding, the more likely it is that Sedin shuts down.

Last edited by sarcastro: 04-18-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
04-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Quoted for mods to see.
Okay...I suppose you think criticizing your viewpoints about hockey is the same thing as making a personal attack (something you are all too eager to do to others when you call them "weenies", "wimps", etc.). All of the adjectives I used were justified in light of what you posted about the Sedins.

Quote:
Daniel Sedin's stats last year;
Vs Chicago:
7 games 5 goals 2 assists -2
Vs Nashville
6 games 1 goal 2 assists -6
Vs SJ
6 Games 2 goals 3 assists +4
Vs Boston
7 Games 1 goal 3 assists -5

The dude managed 9 + 11 in 25 games.
Yet he was -9.

The tougher the sledding, the more likely it is that Sedin shuts down.
What, do you expect people to give +/- (a stat many regard as one of the most useless in existence) the same credence as actual point production?

The fact is the Sedins were the leading scorers on a team that played a game 7 for the Stanley Cup, and if you switch the goalies in that series Vancouver wins in 5 without any changes related to fighting, "toughness", and so on. Compare this to a player I know you loved, Bob Probert, who had both less personal and team success than the Sedins have and then died at a young age because he couldn't play the game you and other "old school fans" demanded of him without resorting to the use of illegal drugs.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:16 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Okay...I suppose you think criticizing your viewpoints about hockey is the same thing as making a personal attack (something you are all too eager to do to others when you call them "weenies", "wimps", etc.). All of the adjectives I used were justified in light of what you posted about the Sedins.

You criticized the opinion with insulting words because you wanted to be insulting.
Man up. You'll lose your avatar, just like me.

Quote:
What, do you expect people to give +/- (a stat many regard as one of the most useless in existence) the same credence as actual point production?
Ah yes. -9 isn't a reflection on Daniel Sedin.
I watched nearly all the chicago series and all the boston series and part of the SJ series.
When the Canucks are rolling, Sedin racks up points.
When the going gets tough, Sedin can't get it done. They don't work anywhere near as hard on the boards behind their net as they do on the boards behind the other team's net. And if the defense is physical, they're not as willing to work hard on offense either.

Quote:
The fact is the Sedins were the leading scorers on a team that played a game 7 for the Stanley Cup, and if you switch the goalies in that series Vancouver wins in 5 without any changes related to fighting, "toughness", and so on. Compare this to a player I know you loved, Bob Probert, who had both less personal and team success than the Sedins have and then died at a young age because he couldn't play the game you and other "old school fans" demanded of him without resorting to the use of illegal drugs.
Your what ifs are fantasy.
We know what happened.

I didn't "love" Probert.

Fedorrov. Yzerman. Lafleur. Datsyuk. Robinson. My list of favorite players doesn't include any goons.

But I see a place for toughness in the game. And the more and more extreme people like you get, the more I appreciate the views of someone like Cherry — a guy who I only watched because I like to remind myself that I am a Canadian once a week, and is now starting to make more sense as the hockey press continues to play an activist role in eradicating violence from the game.

You watch Sedin getting swatted in the face repeatedly, over and over, by little Brad Marchand... and it's symbolic.
Here's a guy who lets some little punch humilate him. He doesn't have to fight. All he has to do is wrap him up.
But no, Sedin wants the call.
He wants the powerplay so bad that he's willing to get punched in the face for it.
Over on the Boston side, the feed on Sedin's humiliating display and they win the cup.

Sedin finishes the 7 games series with 1 goal, 2 assists... he was -4 in the last game. And he lost the respect of a lot of people in the hockey world.

My favorite Red Wings team ever was 01-02. I liked having Hasek. But mostly because of Yzerman's unbelievable toughness and Fedorov's dominating two-way play.
Not many fighters on that team. But Shanny and Mac could take care of business from time to time.

And in the 90s, we also had Martin Lapointe.

So I'm not some big fight guy.
But I believe it has a place. And I'm sick of people screaming and whining about fighting and cheapshots and blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Take up tennis, sweet love, in little white shots.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
You criticized the opinion with insulting words because you wanted to be insulting.
Man up. You'll lose your avatar, just like me.
Let's look at these "insulting" words:

"myopic": aka a synonym for narrowminded. I think this applies pretty well to someone who doesn't ever seem to think it is possible for winning hockey to be played outside of the narrow formula he favors.

"outdated": seems appropriate considering how so much of what you extol went out of fashion in the 1970s and 1980s.

"stereotyped": constantly talking about "wimpy europeans" and the like makes this one fit pretty well.

"dinosaurish": I guess this is the closest thing to an insult, it was really more redundant than anything else (just another way to say outdated).

Also, you really do seem obsessed with things like "manning up". Always constantly talking about other people's manhood or calling them weenies. Is this compensating for something?

Quote:
Ah yes. -9 isn't a reflection on Daniel Sedin.
I watched nearly all the chicago series and all the boston series and part of the SJ series.
When the Canucks are rolling, Sedin racks up points.
When the going gets tough, Sedin can't get it done. They don't work anywhere near as hard on the boards behind their net as they do on the boards behind the other team's net. And if the defense is physical, they're not as willing to work hard on offense either.
Some of this may in fact be true, but it's far too general, and taken to a far too extreme level. Not to mention a lot of is not really true at all, or based on selective memory, and much of it applies to all sorts of players.

Quote:
Your what ifs are fantasy.
We know what happened.
You once claimed in a thread that if Sedin had responded to Marchand, the Canucks might have won game 7. Speculating that throwing a punch or two is going to swing the result of a 4-0 game where one goalie sucked and the other was unbeatable seem far more of a "what if fantasy" than proposing the goaltenders in that series were a bigger difference than a scrum at the end of game 6.

Quote:
I didn't "love" Probert.

Fedorrov. Yzerman. Lafleur. Datsyuk. Robinson. My list of favorite players doesn't include any goons.

But I see a place for toughness in the game. And the more and more extreme people like you get, the more I appreciate the views of someone like Cherry — a guy who I only watched because I like to remind myself that I am a Canadian once a week, and is now starting to make more sense as the hockey press continues to play an activist role in eradicating violence from the game.

You watch Sedin getting swatted in the face repeatedly, over and over, by little Brad Marchand... and it's symbolic.
Here's a guy who lets some little punch humilate him. He doesn't have to fight. All he has to do is wrap him up.
But no, Sedin wants the call.
He wants the powerplay so bad that he's willing to get punched in the face for it.
Over on the Boston side, the feed on Sedin's humiliating display and they win the cup.
Once again, elevating an event of incredibly minor importance into something that decided the Cup? Also, lots of assumptions about Boston "feeding" of it.

Quote:
Sedin finishes the 7 games series with 1 goal, 2 assists... he was -4 in the last game. And he lost the respect of a lot of people in the hockey world.
I'd love to know who a "lot of people in the hockey world" consists of, other than idiots like Cherry and Milbury, and a lot of trolls on HFBoards.

Quote:
My favorite Red Wings team ever was 01-02. I liked having Hasek. But mostly because of Yzerman's unbelievable toughness and Fedorov's dominating two-way play.
Not many fighters on that team. But Shanny and Mac could take care of business from time to time.

And in the 90s, we also had Martin Lapointe.

So I'm not some big fight guy.
But I believe it has a place. And I'm sick of people screaming and whining about fighting and cheapshots and blah blah blah blah blah blah.
That's pretty incongruous with a lot of the stuff you post about, especially when it comes to topics outside of the day-to-day happenings of the Red Wings.

Quote:
Take up tennis, sweet love, in little white shots.
As I mentioned in the Cherry thread, there's a ton of tennis players that could kick his senile ass without any problem, and the mental and physical toughness in that sport of the top players (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc.) is as great or greater than just about any hockey players.

Of course some of the sports I, an alleged "weenie", participate in would make a lot the self-styled tough guys on this board (such as a lot of the posters in the Cherry threads who browbeat anyone who dares disagree with their master) cry and wimper in fear.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:48 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Let's look at these "insulting" words:

"myopic": aka a synonym for narrowminded. I think this applies pretty well to someone who doesn't ever seem to think it is possible for winning hockey to be played outside of the narrow formula he favors.
That's insulting.
And it's an inaccurate way to describe my thinking anyway.

Quote:
"outdated": seems appropriate considering how so much of what you extol went out of fashion in the 1970s and 1980s.
Insulting.
And also inaccurate, as many teams today still value toughness.

Quote:
"stereotyped": constantly talking about "wimpy europeans" and the like makes this one fit pretty well.
Insulting.
I don't view the Sedins the way I view Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Quote:
"dinosaurish": I guess this is the closest thing to an insult, it was really more redundant than anything else (just another way to say outdated).
It's just another silly insult. Whatever.

Quote:
Also, you really do seem obsessed with things like "manning up". Always constantly talking about other people's manhood or calling them weenies. Is this compensating for something?
Insulting.

Some of this may in fact be true, but it's far too general, and taken to a far too extreme level. Not to mention a lot of is not really true at all, or based on selective memory, and much of it applies to all sorts of players.

Quote:
You once claimed in a thread that if Sedin had responded to Marchand, the Canucks might have won game 7. Speculating that throwing a punch or two is going to swing the result of a 4-0 game where one goalie sucked and the other was unbeatable seem far more of a "what if fantasy" than proposing the goaltenders in that series were a bigger difference than a scrum at the end of game 6.
If the Sedins were harder/tougher and did a better job fighting through the grind, yes they would have won, in my opinion.

Quote:
Once again, elevating an event of incredibly minor importance into something that decided the Cup? Also, lots of assumptions about Boston "feeding" of it.
That's kind of how symbolism works.

Quote:
I'd love to know who a "lot of people in the hockey world" consists of, other than idiots like Cherry and Milbury, and a lot of trolls on HFBoards.
Insult.
So only idiots believe it, right?
I don't even know what Cherry or Milbury said about the Sedins in the finals, to be honest. Google Sedins Finals Boston
Read up.

Quote:
That's pretty incongruous with a lot of the stuff you post about, especially when it comes to topics outside of the day-to-day happenings of the Red Wings.
And?
This is the freakin' hysteria of the day. The media and fans have lost their minds. Hockey is secondary to the suspensions and the crying about missed offsides, etc.

The 24-7 media and the 24-7 twitter and 24-7 message boards are killing the game. They are drowning out everything good in the game and replacing it with complaining and fake controversy.

And lots of people are making money on this controversy by engaging fans on news websites and message boards, fanning the flames engaging and provoking the fans at every opportunity.

Quote:
As I mentioned in the Cherry thread, there's a ton of tennis players that could kick his senile ass without any problem, and the mental and physical toughness in that sport of the top players (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc.) is as great or greater than just about any hockey players.
Hahaha. Ok. Whatever.

Quote:
Of course some of the sports I, an alleged "weenie", participate in would make a lot the self-styled tough guys on this board (such as a lot of the posters in the Cherry threads who browbeat anyone who dares disagree with their master) cry and wimper in fear.
Sure. You're actually a tough guy in real life.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Apparently, making any negative comment about something you post is now "insulting". Also, when I insult buffoons like Cherry and Milbury (both of whom I would gladly kick in the balls if given the opportunity), you don't need to presume to osmose that onto yourself.

As far as whether or not I'm tough in real life, I don't really care about bragging but once in a while someone has to stand up to the bullying accusations of the fight fanboys on these boards that anyone who doesn't grovel at the alters of fighting and "toughness" is a so-called "wimp", "weenie", or "p***y", as so many posters in the Cherry threads like to claim.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Apparently, making any negative comment about something you post is now "insulting". Also, when I insult buffoons like Cherry and Milbury (both of whom I would gladly kick in the balls if given the opportunity), you don't need to presume to osmose that onto yourself.

As far as whether or not I'm tough in real life, I don't really care about bragging but once in a while someone has to stand up to the bullying accusations of the fight fanboys on these boards that anyone who doesn't grovel at the alters of fighting and "toughness" is a so-called "wimp", "weenie", or "p***y", as so many posters in the Cherry threads like to claim.
When I lived in Canada, I hated Cherry.
I moved to the US and watched him only for the Canadian-ness of it.

But since the lockout, a lot of the crazy things Cherry says are starting to ring true.

Sure Milbury is a jerk. But we need someone under the age of 75 standing up for tougness in the game.

Do I want to hand the keys to Milbury and Cherry? Hell no.
But man, am I glad these guys are still here with a pulpit. Someone has to counterbalance all the handwringers.

And right now, the sheer number of people posting "THE NHL IS A JOKE" because Neal didn't get suspended enough, is through the roof.

The NHL is fine.
People need to step away from the ledge. Have a nice cup of warm milk and calm the hell down.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
So, the Torres on Hossa hit. I'm in the minority for sure, but that looked a lot cleaner than some of the other hits going on.

But it's Torres and Hossa is probably out for the playoffs, so that means Torres will get 3-6 games.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
So, the Torres on Hossa hit. I'm in the minority for sure, but that looked a lot cleaner than some of the other hits going on.

But it's Torres and Hossa is probably out for the playoffs, so that means Torres will get 3-6 games.
i agree, the torres hit hasn't been as bad as other these playoffs, but torres has killed people in the past in the playoffs, coupled with the whole stretcher thing and hossa being out like you said for the playoffs likely, I'm thinking 5 minimum.

Closed Thread