HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth... I see trouble ahead

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
If that's the case, Smyth should seriously consider checking into a sanatarium
I agree. But if one is going to use Replacements logic, then theres a logic to it.
I think its insanity if true, but some think its entirely sane.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

If Tambo gives him more than one year he's an idiot. Looking at how he fell off a cliff this year there's way too much risk in giving him multiple years.

Don't do it Tambo.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post
"Supposedly" Smythe wants 7.6 over 2. Oilers "supposedly" have offered 3.6 over 2.
Could you maybe tell us where you heard this?

04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Could you maybe tell us where you heard this?
No. Other than it was indirectly from a media source

Old
04-15-2012, 10:39 PM
TowMater14

I wasn't upset when we let Smyth go the first time and I hope that they do for the second. Mr I bleed cooper and blue can go bleed something else for all that I care.

Old
04-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Gags89

Quote:
"Supposedly" Smythe wants 7.6 over 2. Oilers "supposedly" have offered 3.6 over 2.
That's only 1.8 per season that the Oilers have offered. I can see why he's asking for more. I can't say I blame him. 7.6 is high though. He needs to come down at least a million

Old
04-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags89 View Post
That's only 1.8 per season that the Oilers have offered. I can see why he's asking for more. I can't say I blame him. 7.6 is high though. He needs to come down at least a million
??!!?? You really think he's worth 3 million a year - even 2.8 is too much!

Old
04-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Gags89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
??!!?? You really think he's worth 3 million a year - even 2.8 is too much!
I said at least. If anyone thinks that he signed for 1.8 per here or anywhere else, they're nuts. Personally I'd do around 2.5 per

Old
04-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags89 View Post
I said at least. If anyone thinks that he signed for 1.8 per here or anywhere else, they're nuts. Personally I'd do around 2.5 per
I say this seriously. Whats a 37 year old guy worth, who if he has a good year next year scores 15, who briings no physicality at all &is phenomenally slow now.?
There is no way that guy gets north of 2 mil from anyone.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:57 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
they should sit him down to watch clips of what Mark Recchi did for the Bruins....and then show him the Recchi contract.

Old
04-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Heavy Dee

the thing that bothers me the most is that they purposely held onto Smyth at the trade deadline because Smyth did not want to move for family reasons, even though we probably would have got a very good draft pick for him as interest was reportedly very high.

He repays us by again being difficult to sign. cut this guy loose.

Old
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
the thing that bothers me the most is that they purposely held onto Smyth at the trade deadline because Smyth did not want to move for family reasons, even though we probably would have got a very good draft pick for him as interest was reportedly very high.

He repays us by again being difficult to sign. cut this guy loose.
He had a NMC, the Oilers didn't do him any favours in not trading him, it was entirely his decision.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Brokenhead

Quote:
I say this seriously. Whats a 37 year old guy worth, who if he has a good year next year scores 15, who briings no physicality at all &is phenomenally slow now.?
There is no way that guy gets north of 2 mil from anyone.
Especially over 2 years. I don't even want the guy on the team for free let alone making a dumb overpay for him. Cya Smytty.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
He had a NMC, the Oilers didn't do him any favours in not trading him, it was entirely his decision.
True enough, but they sure did getting him from LA.
No suprise he wouldnt waive his NMC at the trading deadline this last year. After all, that could help the Oilers & inconvinience him for all of about 2-3 months.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
bone

If the rumored numbers are true, and I'm the Oilers, I'd look at his 7.6 (3.8 per) vs. their 3.6 (1.8 per) and tell him that if he wants that kind of coin per year, he can have it on a one year with a no trade.

If he wants extra years, basically add 500K-1Mill per year, remove the no trade clause and walk away from any further negotiation. 3.8 cap for what may be their third (maybe 4th) line left winger in the second year is too much of a cap hit. We can probably live with a bit of a hit this year, but not going forward.

If Calgary wants to offer him more and offer no movement, goodbye Smyth. Hope you enjoy being part of year 1 of what will be a forced rebuild halfway into your first year.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Has Ryan Smyth ever gotten through with a contract with the oilers without a dispute. Pretty common, nice to know things never change

Old
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

That's a pretty steep number for a guy who will be playing 3rd line minutes next season. I like Smyth, but he has to look at it realistically from what he offers, to what he demands. There's a disconnect between those two things.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:32 AM
ales83fan

Can Calgary sign him already? I'm imagining hall going against smyth. Is there an easier match up in the NHL? He's slow, doesn't hit, isn't that dirty, and can't stick handle. Actually, that might be best case scenario. Our young guns would have a field day. The oilers should encourage him to stay in the division! He really is the perfect opponent. He'll bleed GAs.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Remember how Smyth was saying Doug Weight told him to never leave money on the table.

I don't want him passing this on to the kids. Honestly, they probably should never have brought him back the first time knowing this is his way doing things.

All my good memories of Smyth are being corrupted. It's like when I PVR'd all the original GI Joes, and sat down to watch them.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Remember how Smyth was saying Doug Weight told him to never leave money on the table.

I don't want him passing this on to the kids. Honestly, they probably should never have brought him back the first time knowing this is his way doing things.

All my good memories of Smyth are being corrupted. It's like when I PVR'd all the original GI Joes, and sat down to watch them.
He should take a look at what Doug Weight was doing for the end of his career. Last several years one year contracts, even got traded around quite a bit at deadline day.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
He'll bleed GAs.
Strange. He didn't this year. Do people just make up stuff in order to scapegoat players?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
That's a pretty steep number for a guy who will be playing 3rd line minutes next season. I like Smyth, but he has to look at it realistically from what he offers, to what he demands. There's a disconnect between those two things.
I don't think Smyth would be playing third line minutes next year regardless of the Oielrs drafting Yakupov.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:21 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I don't think Smyth would be playing third line minutes next year regardless of the Oielrs drafting Yakupov.
where do you slot Smyth in then? Assume we draft Yakupov.

mock up some lines and show us where Smytty fits. ( I love the guy, have since we drafted him ) but he is on the back end of his career.

And his second half of the season wasn't exactly awesome production wise.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Can Calgary sign him already? I'm imagining hall going against smyth. Is there an easier match up in the NHL? He's slow, doesn't hit, isn't that dirty, and can't stick handle. Actually, that might be best case scenario. Our young guns would have a field day. The oilers should encourage him to stay in the division! He really is the perfect opponent. He'll bleed GAs.
A little early in the day for drinkin'...

Sure Smytty is in the back end of his career but still has value left, especially as a 3rd line player. As long as the price is right, you sign Smyth. I don't see much of a better option out there than someone that has bled Oiler blue for many years. He can still be productive in the right environment, as he showed last year.
I'm not sure what people were expecting from him at his age but still looked pretty good, especially in the early going. Renney over-played him to take the pressure off the kids and that wore him down. Give him 3rd line minutes and play the kids to kill penalties, etc, and things will be fine.
Good mentor, long time Oiler, great for the team and the city..Nothing to dislike, unless you didn't like him in the first place and then nothing will change your mind.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post
Especially over 2 years. I don't even want the guy on the team for free let alone making a dumb overpay for him. Cya Smytty.

Luckily some of you aren't in management....

Closed Thread