HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

TSN's Bob McKenzie: Michael Leighton re-entry waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2012, 07:41 PM
  #51
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeesh, take it easy. I've been watching hockey my entire life and posting around here for a couple years now and this is the first time I've heard of "black aces" in the playoffs. The term and concept has obviously gone under the radar if this many people are in the dark about it.
Not to be rude either, but I have heard of the Black Aces for awhile now. Its not really new and has been around for awhile. Now that the internet is around though, it has been more widely known.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
  #52
skoods
Registered User
 
skoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Hey, at least this is the last time we will have to talk about him with his contract expiring.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:09 PM
  #53
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,254
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
Hey, at least this is the last time we will have to talk about him with his contract expiring.
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him. He's good to have on the Phantoms, and I know that people hate him but in an emergency situation he'd be ok. Even as the backup I wouldn't be too upset to see him on a league minimum contract if Bob is gone. **Begin Flaming**

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
  #54
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,745
vCash: 156
No, I can live with league minimum if absolutely nobody else is available. I'd rather see young people with upside get shots first.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:18 PM
  #55
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,450
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him. He's good to have on the Phantoms, and I know that people hate him but in an emergency situation he'd be ok. Even as the backup I wouldn't be too upset to see him on a league minimum contract if Bob is gone. **Begin Flaming**
The moon would crash into Earth before that happens. As I mentioned, he isn't even considered the 3rd goaltender. Not after the stunt in the playoffs last year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
  #56
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,254
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, I can live with league minimum if absolutely nobody else is available. I'd rather see young people with upside get shots first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The moon would crash into Earth before that happens. As I mentioned, he isn't even considered the 3rd goaltender. Not after the stunt in the playoffs last year.
Oh I'm not saying I'd prefer him over other options, I just wouldn't have a problem if that wound up being the case. There's a number of quality backups that are going to be out there this year if Bob is dealt (which I think he should be). If one of those can't be had, and there are no internal options outside of Leighton, I would not have a problem with him at league minimum or close to it as the backup.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
  #57
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's NOT the goal in Game 6. It's how he ****ing played, which was badly. Almost ANY time he was challenged, in the season and playoffs, he folded. If the team in front of him didn't play with such desperation he wouldn't have had those numbers. They played like their mothers were in net without pads, because they knew ANY shot thrown on goal might go in if it was placed somewhere that would require Leighton to move a limb. He was a trash can in net. If the puck didn't go where he was already placed, it went in. If the team didn't hold the other team to low percentage areas, they scored.

Let's not forget that it was Boucher who got them into the playoffs as well...not Leighton. Leighton sucked. He had the fortune of playing behind a high powered team that could also play very good defense. I've been saying he sucks and that he was a product of the team in front of him playing like they have an empty net since we grabbed him off waivers, because anybody with eyes could see that. You need to stop letting the Cinderella story glory cloud your judgement. He and his stats were the product of the team. The team and it's success was NOT a product of him.
I repeat:

Michael Leighton .918 SV%
Brian Boucher .899 SV%

Save percentage is owned by the goaltender first and foremost.

That season was spiraling down the drain and the waiver wire acquisition of Leighton was a huge part of salvaging it.

Same thing again in Round 2.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
  #58
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,254
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I repeat:

Michael Leighton .918 SV%
Brian Boucher .899 SV%

Save percentage is owned by the goaltender first and foremost.

That season was spiraling down the drain and the waiver wire acquisition of Leighton was a huge part of salvaging it.

Same thing again in Round 2.
I'm telling you man, don't bother. I've already made the same posts you are making. It doesn't matter what you say. His jersey says Leighton on the back so he sucks.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
  #59
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
For the sake of validating the news for those too lazy to go to Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie...80538502983680

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:53 PM
  #60
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,745
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm telling you man, don't bother. I've already made the same posts you are making. It doesn't matter what you say. His jersey says Leighton on the back so he sucks.
It has nothing to do with the name on the jersey. It has everything to do with how badly he plays as an NHL goaltender. It's not rocket science. There's a reason he is not in the NHL now.

Boosh has a lower save percentage because he was stuck in net during the Dying Time when Stevens lost the team and then during the transitition. The team had already been turning around when Leighton came in.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:00 PM
  #61
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It has nothing to do with the name on the jersey. It has everything to do with how badly he plays as an NHL goaltender. It's not rocket science. There's a reason he is in the NHL now.

Boosh has a lower save percentage because he was stuck in net during the Dying Time when Stevens lost the team and then during the transitition. The team had already been turning around when Leighton came in.
This is not totally true... I was at the game that Boosh got hurt and Leighton came in. I actually had club seats to that game. It happened on 12/21/2009. Before that 4-1 loss to the panthers we had won 4 games out of 17.

After Leighton came into play, we then won 4 straight and started to win games.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:10 PM
  #62
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,745
vCash: 156
Aside from that game I remember becoming more satisfied with what I was seeing from the team. They had begun gelling and acting as a unit instead of running around.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:10 PM
  #63
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,450
vCash: 5700
He was better than Boucher in that season, but the next year, Boucher put up similar numbers that Leighton did the year before. Volatility. The other 29 teams thought enough of him that given multiple chances to claim a supposed NHL goaltender off waivers, they all refused. The real reason the season turned around was because they finally had the system down pat. They changed coaches in the middle of the season, and that was the consequence. Leighton was simply in the right place at the right time.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:16 PM
  #64
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,254
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It has nothing to do with the name on the jersey. It has everything to do with how badly he plays as an NHL goaltender. It's not rocket science. There's a reason he is not in the NHL now.

Boosh has a lower save percentage because he was stuck in net during the Dying Time when Stevens lost the team and then during the transitition. The team had already been turning around when Leighton came in.
We've had this discussion so many times so you know what I am talking about. I don't believe that Leighton is the sole reason they made the playoffs/the Cup that reason. He absolutely 100% was a factor, but clearly not the only factor. Just like he wasn't the sole reason they lost the Cup. He absolutely 100% was a factor, but clearly not the only factor.

The thing that bugs me more than anything is the whole Montreal series giving him no respect or credit for THREE ****ING SHUTOUTS IN THE ECF. When you start talking about that it shows the clear bias you have toward him because it was Michael Leighton. I don't care what you say in your defense, if you are taking away from three shutouts in a five game stretch in the ECF and acting like anyone could have done it, you lose credibility. There are matchups every year where one team is far better offensively and defensively with better goalies than Leighton in net that don't get three shutouts in a series. Hell, sometimes they don't even get one shutout. It was a rare feat, and while defense surely helped, three shutouts in an ECF is three shutouts in an ECF.

I don't hear you saying that Giroux didn't deserve that hat trick because there was an empty net or his six points don't mean that much because the Pens aren't playing well.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
  #65
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,308
vCash: 769
this is nothing. just an extra body for practice

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
  #66
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,745
vCash: 156
I didn't see a goaltender carrying a team in 2010. I saw a team carrying an AHL goaltender, and doing an admirable job of it.

You adore bringing up those vaunted shutouts, but you love ignoring the fact that the Flyers dominated that series top to bottom in a way I don't think I've ever seen them do. Leighton is challenged in ONE game...and loses. Other three games? Perimeter shots, defense manhandling Montreal forwards. You deny it, but not all shutouts are created equal. Some of the shutouts Bryz earned this season were damned impressive pieces of work. Leighton's? Meh.

I just don't get why people try to blow this guy up to be something he isn't. I guess people just love underdog stories.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
  #67
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,254
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I didn't see a goaltender carrying a team in 2010. I saw a team carrying an AHL goaltender, and doing an admirable job of it.

You adore bringing up those vaunted shutouts, but you love ignoring the fact that the Flyers dominated that series top to bottom in a way I don't think I've ever seen them do. Leighton is challenged in ONE game...and loses. Other three games? Perimeter shots, defense manhandling Montreal forwards. You deny it, but not all shutouts are created equal. Some of the shutouts Bryz earned this season were damned impressive pieces of work. Leighton's? Meh.

I just don't get why people try to blow this guy up to be something he isn't. I guess people just love underdog stories.
Gimme a break dude. 3/5 shutouts in any scenario is an impressive feat. In those three saves he stopped 75 out of 75. You are going to sit there and tell me that that is no big deal? It was all the defense? They stopped those 75 shots? 75. Even if all of them are perimeter shots and great defense, that is still 75/75. I'm not saying he is a great goalie, but he played pretty damned good in that series. It doesn't mean he should be starting instead of Bryz on Wednesday night, but to act like that is no big deal is just absurd.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
  #68
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Can Leighton play 3rd-pairing defense?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:59 PM
  #69
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,308
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Can Leighton play 3rd-pairing defense?
he cant even play his own position, what makes you think he can play defense?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:04 PM
  #70
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he cant even play his own position, what makes you think he can play defense?
Late bloomer.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:32 PM
  #71
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't. What has he done to deserve it, besides costing us one already?
This is a stupid statement. Hockey is a team sport, a team wins and loses, not a player. Leighton didn't "cost us" the cup more than anyone who played in that series. The team didn't win, it was a team loss, not a Leighton loss. Just like the shutouts were team shutouts, and not Leighton shutouts. If you wanna call his accomplishments the product of the team, be fair and do it for the opposite too. You can't just look at one side of the medal.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:31 AM
  #72
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
This is a stupid statement. Hockey is a team sport, a team wins and loses, not a player. Leighton didn't "cost us" the cup more than anyone who played in that series. The team didn't win, it was a team loss, not a Leighton loss. Just like the shutouts were team shutouts, and not Leighton shutouts. If you wanna call his accomplishments the product of the team, be fair and do it for the opposite too. You can't just look at one side of the medal.
only in philly can a goalie help get a team to the SCF one year be tossed in the garbage the next

)

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:37 AM
  #73
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
This is a stupid statement. Hockey is a team sport, a team wins and loses, not a player. Leighton didn't "cost us" the cup more than anyone who played in that series. The team didn't win, it was a team loss, not a Leighton loss. Just like the shutouts were team shutouts, and not Leighton shutouts. If you wanna call his accomplishments the product of the team, be fair and do it for the opposite too. You can't just look at one side of the medal.
Leighton played very well for what he was, a career AHL goalie... but I really don't want to see him back in net for us.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:42 AM
  #74
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
This is a stupid statement. Hockey is a team sport, a team wins and loses, not a player. Leighton didn't "cost us" the cup more than anyone who played in that series. The team didn't win, it was a team loss, not a Leighton loss. Just like the shutouts were team shutouts, and not Leighton shutouts. If you wanna call his accomplishments the product of the team, be fair and do it for the opposite too. You can't just look at one side of the medal.
You have a lot to learn, my friend. Everything bad is ultimately Holmgren's fault. Everything good was a lucky accident. And if Homer can't be specifically blamed, for example for things that happen DURING the games, then it's Michael Leighton's fault or, more recently, Matt Carle's fault. You really need to get a more focused black and white worldview, shades of grey in a big picture confuse a lot of people.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:43 AM
  #75
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Leighton played very well for what he was, a career AHL goalie... but I really don't want to see him back in net for us.
I think we all agree we don't want to see him in the net, as that would mean both Bryz and Bob are too hurt to play.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.