HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ coach next year

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 04:28 AM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Good thread Nate... one that should be discussed more. Richards was fired from Minnesota for a reason, some may say Arniel was fired for a reason as well; connect the dots.

If Priest gives Richards the PI test he will pass, but few who pass the Priest PI test in the office win on the ice.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
99 CBJ

And Hitch couldn't coach because he was fired by CBJ, he was was a out of touch pre lockout coach.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Good thread Nate... one that should be discussed more. Richards was fired from Minnesota for a reason, some may say Arniel was fired for a reason as well; connect the dots.

If Priest gives Richards the PI test he will pass, but few who pass the Priest PI test in the office win on the ice.
Something tells me that a coach in professional sports getting fired doesn't really provide you with a full picture of their abilities.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Something tells me that a coach in professional sports getting fired doesn't really provide you with a full picture of their abilities.
If you eliminate every coach that's ever been fired, you'll be left with nothing but rookie candidates.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Doctor Spin

Interesting to see in today's chat that Portzline recount the same story many of us have heard about the hiring of the last coach. Interview #1 with Dineen and GMSH= Dineen is the guy. Interview #2 with Dineen and Priest where Priest starts to administer the PI exam and Dineen tells him off and ends the interview.

Of the big four CBJ screwups during the GMSH years, (1) the last head coach hiring, (2) the Carter trade, (3) delaying the Hitch firing until our playoff chances were shot after he lost the team weeks before, and (4) the goalie fiasco, I think Priest leads the series 3-1.

I'd really love to hear Bob Boughner's candid account of his year with the CBJ. That guy has been around hockey as a player, coach, team president, and NHL assistant. I hope he interviews for the job this time, but I think I know where he would tell Priest to stick his exam.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post
Interesting to see in today's chat that Portzline recount the same story many of us have heard about the hiring of the last coach. Interview #1 with Dineen and GMSH= Dineen is the guy. Interview #2 with Dineen and Priest where Priest starts to administer the PI exam and Dineen tells him off and ends the interview.

Of the big four CBJ screwups during the GMSH years, (1) the last head coach hiring, (2) the Carter trade, (3) delaying the Hitch firing until our playoff chances were shot after he lost the team weeks before, and (4) the goalie fiasco, I think Priest leads the series 3-1.

I'd really love to hear Bob Boughner's candid account of his year with the CBJ. That guy has been around hockey as a player, coach, team president, and NHL assistant. I hope he interviews for the job this time, but I think I know where he would tell Priest to stick his exam.
"At the start of the process and through the first round of interviews, Dineen was their guy. He was everything they heard he would be, which is why he was listed as the favorite in our coverage. The second interview (re: PI Test) did not go well. Dineen is not a good candidate to work in a cubicle, it seems. That's when it all fell apart" Aaron Portzline.

The more I read the more I think the beginning of PI testing began a long time ago, I bet had Jody Shelly been given the PI Test he would have failed as well, the day he was traded was the beginning of my feelings of something amiss with organization choices.

Last edited by Robert: 04-19-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I don't think it was ever that the team absolutely needed Jody Shelley, just that Howson didn't seem to anticipate potentially needing someone else like him in the future. Shelley was 32 when he was was moved, while he provided a spark, he was routinely on the losing end of a lot of his later brawls in a CBJ uni. If Howson wanted to go younger and more skilled, I certainly would have been ok with that, but he seemed to underestimate the value of a Jody Shelley-type player to a perennial bottom-dweller team that never had much to cheer for.

I have no qualms that we will immediately replace a guy like Nash's production, but its now seems to be in both the player and organizations best interest to move on.

Shelley being here wasn't going to change us and make us into a playoff team. He had younger guys like Boll and Dorsett coming on and Sestito was still in the organization at that point. All guys who were more skilled than Shelley. If nothing else, I'll agree with Portzline when he says that some guys in Operations now just don't understand the connection of the early years and the fans....

Old
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Doctor Spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
"The more I read the more I think the beginning of PI testing began a long time ago, I bet had Jody Shelly been given the PI Test he would have failed as well, the day he was traded was the beginning of my feelings of something amiss with organization choices.
Agreement on #45. I did a bit of investigation of this at the time because he was one of my favorites and exceptionally warm to my family and me during the dozen or so times we ran into Jody and bride. FWIW, from a now-departed CBJ front office guy.

Apparently, Hitch decided that Shelley's career was over, he was a UFA in the summer, and he wanted the roster space for someone with size and more skill. He made it clear to Jody and Howson that #45 was going to be a healthy scratch for the rest of the year. Howson and Jody met and they decided to find a team for him to play out the rest of the year, hopefully getting some ice time and maybe the playoffs. It was the Sharks, and you know the rest.

I think the CBJ and Jody parted friends. I wondered if a Prospal-like deal was extended to him since he has stayed around Circleville and remains a fan favorite.

You would think that Howson might have called him about Carter but I've never heard Jody speak ill of anyone, not even someone he was fighting ("Mr. Probert?") so he might not have been very chatty.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
I think the CBJ and Jody parted friends. I wondered if a Prospal-like deal was extended to him since he has stayed around Circleville and remains a fan favorite.
Circlevile??? I was fairly certain he lived at Scioto Country Club...he's in the Joe's Original off Sawmill and Hard rd all the time in the offseason

Old
04-20-2012, 12:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
(3) delaying the Hitch firing until our playoff chances were shot after he lost the team weeks before, and
The screw up was not firing Howson. Even before the season began.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Matt

Shelly lives in Dublin and he has a cabin in th Logan area

Old
04-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Not sure any of these coaches will be fired, but you have to wonder whether Bylsma, Vigneault or Quenneville might be available if their teams go out in the next game.

I would be happy with any of them if they end up looking for employment.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:22 PM
WhydoesCanadahateus

I think Bylsma and Quennville won't be fired, but I saw this the other day about Vigneault being done in Vancouver.

http://twoboredteensandhockey.blogsp...ault-done.html

If this is true then I would definitely want him to be the next coach. However only 2 things would keep that from happening, 1) Howson and Priest are still running things and 2) Vigneault might not want to come into this situation

Old
04-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The screw up was not firing Howson. Even before the season began.
Yeah, in retrospect I think I may owe you some apologies on Hitch... that said I think his wife had a lot to do with some changes in his outlook to both life and the NHL after he was fired from Columbus.

I'm hoping the Blues and Hitch do well this playoff season; Ken Hitchcock has certainly earned it...

Old
05-09-2012, 02:11 AM
SoCalJacketsFan

Looks like Quenneville isn't going anywhere...

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/joel-quenneville-commits-indian-explains-firing-blackhawks-assistant-013138944.html

Would Haviland be a fit here? I think we need a proven coach behind the bench but I'd accept any alternative to Richards...

Old
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJacketsFan View Post
Looks like Quenneville isn't going anywhere...

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/joel-quenneville-commits-indian-explains-firing-blackhawks-assistant-013138944.html

Would Haviland be a fit here? I think we need a proven coach behind the bench but I'd accept any alternative to Richards...
Haviland has been regarded as NHL-ready for several years now. I think everyone is baffled by his sudden availability.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:43 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJacketsFan View Post
Its going to be a proven guy, even if its Richards, With all the talk about the risk/reward with the "brand new/rookie staff" under Arniel, I think its a safe assumption. With no fallout so far from the playoffs, everyday that goes by without a firing of an experienced coach bodes extremely well for Richards.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Its going to be a proven guy, even if its Richards, With all the talk about the risk/reward with the "brand new/rookie staff" under Arniel, I think its a safe assumption. With no fallout so far from the playoffs, everyday that goes by without a firing of an experienced coach bodes extremely well for Richards.

So hard to say what is going thru managements head. One would think if it were Richards, it would be done already. Arniel was a bad choice, no doubt, but Dineen, Boucher, and Maclean have all had success. Not sure what to make of this. One would hope that we put no criteria, other than bringing in the best canidate.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Sbut Dineen, Boucher, and Maclean have all had success. Not sure what to make of this.
I will tell you. It simultaneously proves:
1) That the CBJ can't hire the right guy.
2) That the CBJ is incompetent and whoever comes here is doomed to fail.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
So hard to say what is going thru managements head. One would think if it were Richards, it would be done already. Arniel was a bad choice, no doubt, but Dineen, Boucher, and Maclean have all had success. Not sure what to make of this. One would hope that we put no criteria, other than bringing in the best canidate.
IF they are targeting Richards, It would a be a disservice to not at least bring in competent, experienced guys to interview.

Wilson, MacTavish, Thierren, Crawford, Hartley, Maurice.... Not many "sexy" names

Old
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I will tell you. It simultaneously proves:
1) That the CBJ can't hire the right guy.
2) That the CBJ is incompetent and whoever comes here is doomed to fail.
Spoken like our truest F.A.N.S.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-09-2012, 04:03 PM
EspenK

I have no idea who the new coach will or should be but I want one who will get red faced when the Jackets mess up or the refs do. He should be in excellent health because he will be red faced a lot.

Seriously, I would like to see some fire in the coach which hasn't been exhibited in Columbus since, well, since I'm not sure ever, although I'm pretty sure Dougie Mac threw a few hissy fits behind the bench during his tenure.

And somebody who can assemble a coaching staff that can actually develop young players. I was very impressed with the TV guys last night praising Larry Robinson for his teaching abilities and his conversations with Adam Larson on the bench.

I'm not sure Richards is the guy- I don't see the fire in him, although I'm sure in a laid back midwestern way he has it.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by espenk View Post
i have no idea who the new coach will or should be but i want one who will get red faced when the jackets mess up or the refs do. He should be in excellent health because he will be red faced a lot.

Seriously, i would like to see some fire in the coach which hasn't been exhibited in columbus since, well, since i'm not sure ever, although i'm pretty sure dougie mac threw a few hissy fits behind the bench during his tenure.

And somebody who can assemble a coaching staff that can actually develop young players. I was very impressed with the tv guys last night praising larry robinson for his teaching abilities and his conversations with adam larson on the bench.

I'm not sure richards is the guy- i don't see the fire in him, although i'm sure in a laid back midwestern way he has it.
Couldn't find Terry Ruskowski, so you'll have to make due with these.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
EspenK

Yeah, like them.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Why do people seem to always equate passion and fire with acting like an idiot? Too many movies?

Do people think players respond to clown shows like this better than a guy who keeps it behind closed doors, or chooses to educate and lead without yelling and carrying on like an abusive parent?

I want coaches and players that hate to lose, for sure, but please, hold the circus.

Closed Thread