HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips for doing michigan on ice

Old
04-14-2012, 05:44 AM
saucy
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Tips for doing michigan on ice

I am coming from roller to ice, and in roller it was not to hard just toe drag and it will go onto you blade. Have tried a few ways in ice with no luck. I see in ice alot of guys flex there sticks and have there gloves almost touching the ice then lift it up. When i try it stays under on blade and does not pop up or it just shoots out. Any tips?Keep it on the heel or the toe when you are flexing the stick? Tape it higher on the heel. Not really sure but i could not get the puck to lift off the ice no matter what i do. Using a sakic blade if that makes any difference.

saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Are you talking about scooping the puck up on your blade?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:06 AM
saucy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Are you talking about scooping the puck up on your blade?
ya picking it up with the blade

Old
04-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Well I just learned how to do it so my expertise is well not really expertise but here how I learnt. I also use the sakic.

As a right I have the puck to the right side.

The puck is close to the heel, closer to the fulcrum point.

Press down quite hard and I make a small reverse j sweep with the puck while still pressing firmly. So basically the small tail of the j is furthest from me and I bring it back then towards me. Then I bring it forward and roll the wrist forward quickly and snap it up.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Saucy Dangles

I find it easier for me to do it on the back hand (crazy i know). But either way, Like stated above, keep the puck near the heal (fulcrum point) and I like to keep/place puck way outside my body and my hands a tad closer together (i prefer to do it directly @ my side from the shooting position). Flex the stick with hands close the ice (helps get the puck to roll up on edge), and with a sweep (almost like a quick c-motion/drag) roll your wrists and then quickly turn your hands over with your bottom hand palm quickly facing up. Takes a bit to learn it on ice, especially if your blade is heavily iced up it makes it harder to make it stick to the blade. Also pending on your stick flex (I use an 85/87) it can help or make it harder to do it. If you use a real aggressive curve to it can make it a bit easier IMHO, but some will tell you a heal curve/straighter blade/pattern is easier. Also if you plan to use this as a move in game, I like to toss a tad of either puck rub on my tape near the heel or some wax to keep the ice off that area so the tape stays nice and clean.

Good Luck! Try working on it @ a free skate or in warm ups. I like to practice it @ skate and shoots as a warm up to soften up my hands and work on my quick puck sweeps.

Last edited by Saucy Dangles: 04-14-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:41 PM
saucy
Rookie User

can you still do it say after a practice or in the 3rd after your tape is wet? When i was trying there was snow on the blade and it was wet. Or does it not really matter?

Old
04-14-2012, 07:50 PM
ponder

I basically do it like this:

The kid in the video seems like a ******, but he has the technique down. You can do it from the toe, mid blade or the heel, the important part is just the get the puck on edge (by pressing down with the bottom edge of the blade slightly off the puck), and then getting the sweeping motion down. It's WAY easier to do with a freshly taped and waxed blade than it is with one covered in snow and ice. You also want to make sure that the part of the blade you're using is flat, stay away from the deeper part of the curve.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:26 AM
noobman

I put the heel of my stick on the puck, flex into it, then do a quick roll of the wrists. I have a stiff stick so it's not too bad. If I try it with an 85 flex stick I can't keep the puck on the blade (it flies up)

edit: FWIW, I use a Zetterberg curve on my Easton stick.

Last edited by noobman: 04-18-2012 at 03:00 PM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
saucy
Rookie User

Any know if this guy has a ton of wax on his blade or is it just ice. He seems to have it down pretty good.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Saucy Dangles

This is the guy that taught me how to do it. He was one of my player coaches (skills coach) when I was playing Bantam Tier. Sean Skinner. He now has his own stickhandling school that he runs.

Old
04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
HowToHockey

I do it using the heel, some guys on my team say the toe is easier. This is the video I made

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:37 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i find using the toe is easier if you use curves like P92 or Sakic
for curves like P88 or P91, the heel is somewhat easier

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:07 PM
saucy
Rookie User

Mine is a Savard with i think is pretty much a Sakic

Old
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToHockey View Post
I do it using the heel, some guys on my team say the toe is easier. This is the video I made

Thats the way i do it, and find it most comfortable doing it. Like I said earlier, I like actually doing it on my backhand from the shooting position (puck at my side just like you demonstrated) and pick the puck up and throw it over guys.

Oh and I checked out your channel chief, pretty good as well as informative stuff for the everyday, hockey player. Keep making em, ur a beaut in front of the camera kid!

Last edited by Saucy Dangles: 04-16-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old
04-17-2012, 05:54 AM
saucy
Rookie User

somehow missed that video. It really helpful i have a stick time on Wed going to try this out. Do you use any wax or anything on the blade?

Old
04-17-2012, 02:09 PM
OpenIceHit42

Keep your head up because being a dman (and I'm sure I speak for a-lot of the d-man here) you are going to get drilled by one of us whether you pull it off or not.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:54 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucy View Post
somehow missed that video. It really helpful i have a stick time on Wed going to try this out. Do you use any wax or anything on the blade?
Waxing makes it easier to do.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote