HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 | Rangers vs Senators

Old
04-16-2012, 10:13 PM
robsenz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Unfortunately throughout his career, Spezza's game isn't made for the playoffs. At least, it isn't made for creating offense on his own. He had success with Alfredsson and Heatley because they were excellent along the boards and had elite finishing.

What I see from Spezza is a reluctance to skate. He loves to hold up and dish off the puck, but refuses to chase anything. Its infuriating, because for a guy who is typically known as an offensive guy...most of the time, he kills any chance of offense.

This is 100% accurate, he's stationary with the puck half the time....

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Herping Derps*
Its a trap!

Two issues

1) This team needs more top-6 talent

2) top-6 talent alone won't win you a game.
How useful were gaborik and richards tonight.

I know I'm contradicting myself, but you know what I mean

Herping Derps* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ud

The fact is that NYR really isnt that great of a team, but their goalie owned us tonight. Spezza hasn't been great and Michalek is been even worse.... If there is any way to get these guys going by next game it could result in a much different outcome, maybe top line of alfie/spezza/michalek and 2nd line of foligno/turris/butler.

ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Well one thing for me so far these 3 games is that Turris is going to be very good once he gets stronger, big heart.

Spezza is just forcing plays all over, coach needs to calm him down.
Turris and Foligno are starting to gel really well. They are generating a lot of chances!

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULoveMe

I don't care if Spezza was 1st in league scoring with a 50 point lead. You don't show up in the playoffs where the team needs you the most, especially when your heart and soul player is injured and not playing, you don't deserve getting that amount of $$$. He's the type of player who needs Elite wingers to succeed.

ULoveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
If Alfie's back for Game 4...

Michalek-Spezza-Alfie
Foligno-Turris-Butler
Condra-Smith-Neil
Greening-Winchester-Daugavins
I don't know... I really liked Konopka tonight. I don't know who I would take out for Alfie...

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
great1

Quote:

Michalek-Spezza-Alfie
Foligno-Turris-Butler
Condra-Smith-Neil
Replace Daugavins with O'Brien and I agree.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
not enough crash the net, not enough rolling over Rangers players and making it tough for Lundqvist.
Disagree big time. We need some net drive, yes, but we're already doing that. Maybe too much right now. The Rangers are collapsing in front of their net to block shots, and they're doing a great job at it. We need to move the puck laterally and open lanes and then be moving to the net for tips & rebounds. As it is, 7 guys in front of the net is making it next to impossible to get the puck through.

We need to adjust.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Lundquist is the devil

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

Ok, done with this thread for a bit. I'll wait till you knee-jerkers chill out for an hour or two. Anderson played one of the best games of his career. Our D moved the puck incredibly well, our PK is ****ing amazing, and we controlled 75% of this entire game.

Yes, Spezza had a **** game and Milo's been invisible. I hope they bounce back large in game 4.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngelinaJolie View Post
I don't care if Spezza was 1st in league scoring with a 50 point lead. You don't show up in the playoffs where the team needs you the most, especially when your heart and sole player is injured and not playing, you don't deserve getting that amount of $$$. He's the type of player who needs Elite wingers to succeed.
He is showing up, he's just trying too hard to do eveything himself, much like Alfredsson earlier in his career. Maclean need to grab him by the throat and tell him to ****ing simplify his game.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sensfanman

Holy crap guys, relax. We lost a close game that we controlled for the most part. To expect no games stolen by Lundqvist is silly, he's one of the best in the league for a reason.

If all we need is Spezza to get going to start winning, then I couldn't be happier because Sepzza is a proven performer. Remember Karlsson in game 1? Trying to do way too much himself, figured it out and was amazing. Spezza SHOULD know by now but even the best can put too much pressure on themselves.

I'll cut him some slack for now. Every other piece is clicking but all knew going into this that we'd need to bank on Lundqvist being beatable, let's not forget that.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sensfan25

Also Turris was our best player tonight. He just couldn't bury the late chance or he would be star number one. I am excited by the progression Turris has made

sensfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM
mcnorth

Spezza is Spezza. He'd get 120 pts a year if he put in the effort of a Crosby or Richards and drove to the net hard and played balls out... but that is not his game and it isn't ever going to change. He's a change-up, not a fastball. He's like Pierre Turgeon, the game slows down when he has the puck, he cruises and creates flow - and that allows for him to use his vision. But for that to work he needs guys to read and who can read him. And for that to work he needs time and space. When it works, it is glorious, but when it doesn't it looks like lack of effort and it can be downright ugly. He doesn't make the easy play and he doesn't just dump or put the puck in space b/c he isn't going to go get it. That's why I liked Winny on that line. 9MM is losing a lot of battles, but dude is trying - just not winning.

As soon as your organization gets rid of a guy like Spezza you spend a decade looking for a guy like Spezza. 1A centers are a rare breed. We have him. Keep him, know what to expect and understand his limitations, and appreciate what he can do.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan25 View Post
Also Turris was our best player tonight. He just couldn't bury the late chance or he would be star number one. I am excited by the progression Turris has made
And that's the best part. Look at our team going into the future. Even without Alfie, it's only up from here.

Old
Step
GO SENS GO

Oh, and we should trade Kessel.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan25 View Post
People shouldn't blame Spezza he is being defended by New Yorks best dmen and also he is left with the burden of generating all the offence on his line.(Silfverberg needs to come quick). Sens played a very good game but just could not bury the puck. Its only 2-1 lets see what they can do next game
There's a difference between being well defended and playing poorly. Spezza's decision making has been brutal and he's making turnovers at costly times.

Spezza will be better, it's clear that he's trying. It's just a question of if he can pull it together in time.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Flamingo

NYR are checking Spezza really effectively. Get in close, tie up his long stick, and two players in support to take away the short pass.

Kind of an embarrassment that the thread title was written by a scape-boy artist.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
ARS

Spezza has forgotten how to shoot for some reason. I honestly was hoping that Maclean would bench him until he got his head on straight since he was hurting our team more than helping us

Also, regarding the Rangers, I honestly think the only reason why they were first in the east is because of Lundqvist. The rest of their team is pretty mediocre, and the Flyers, Bruins, and, heck, even the Devils are head and tails better than the Rangers and are much more dangerous teams.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SenatorsHockey
Sweet hockey body

Quote:

Michalek-Spezza-Alfie
Foligno-Turris-Butler
Condra-Smith-Neil

I'd keep JOB in.

SenatorsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
There's a difference between being well defended and playing poorly. Spezza's decision making has been brutal and he's making turnovers at costly times.

Spezza will be better, it's clear that he's trying. It's just a question of if he can pull it together in time.
It's hard to do anything when you're the only threat on your line.

9MM has been invisible, and the rotating winger on the other side isn't a threat.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
That's not new. Spezza is streaky and goes on god-mode tears where he puts up 3 points a game for a week then he goes into derp-mode like tonight.

Old
Iamok
#Panic

Oh and on a positive note:

WTF Bobby Butler.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SensFactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herping Derps View Post
Two issues

1) This team needs more top-6 talent

2) top-6 talent alone won't win you a game.
How useful were gaborik and richards tonight.

I know I'm contradicting myself, but you know what I mean
This. Ottawa really is lacking top six talent that would have finished off many of those chances (ie: Jim O'brien empty net where he waited an extra 2 seconds before shooting).

Well next year I'm hoping we have Silverberg, Zibby and/or top six UFA in our line-up...Spezza needs someone to play with.....

Its beyond words how brutal Michalek has been in 3 games...

SensFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
NYR are checking Spezza really effectively. Get in close, tie up his long stick, and two players in support to take away the short pass.

Kind of an embarrassment that the thread title was written by a scape-boy artist.
They made a point of stating that only 11 of 18 shifts for Spezza he had to face their top D.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote