HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Toughness Debate Strikes Back

Old
04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Guys like Staubitz serve a purpose.
right now, a guy like Staubitz on the Habs protects a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:28 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Konopka, Neil, Thornton, Prust, Rupp...those are the guys I want and have always wanted.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Matteau and Samuelsson in the 2nd this year should address this problem for us

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Glory days of the NHL, and I wasn't even old enough to truely appreciate them.

You must be a member of the Jacques Martin fan club.
I've been watching the Habs for over 40 years. The bench-clearing brawls (Good Friday Massacre) are not the glory days of the NHL. I much prefer the high-paced, high-skill game of today. The Habs don't need a Ferguson, Nilan, Kordic or Laraque to win.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
I've been watching the Habs for over 40 years. The bench-clearing brawls (Good Friday Massacre) are not the glory days of the NHL. I much prefer the high-paced, high-skill game of today. The Habs don't need a Ferguson, Nilan, Kordic or Laraque to win.
Would have had difficulties winning during the season and winning a CUP without these two. Especially Ferguson.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Habs

Quote:
I doubt your story. No true Habs fan could follow this team for 40 years an not love every enforcer we ever had. I just don't buy it.

Please tell me you are lying.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Not only in the toughness departement. We're not in the same league of the flyers or Pittsburgh. No wonder we finished 15th, our team looks like a bunch of princesses and plugs compared to those guys out there.

I love Erik Cole, but if that guy is your top goal scorer, ur team ain't that deep.
Cole had 35 goals. Only 10 players had more goals than him. Not sure how that's indicative of a bad team.

As for the Pens and Flyers, as entertaining as that series has been, yesterday's game was pretty ridiculous. It was embarrassing for both teams.
And unless they get their crap together, I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams eliminated by next round. Goaltending and defense has been flat out pathetic.
Looks like Philly will be going through, but they better hope Bryzgalov wakes up, and they should send a huge thank you card to Fleury for making it so easy for them.
Seriously, that series is a suckfest of goaltending and defense. Very disappointed by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Taking away fighting in hockey is like taking away salt in popcorn... It would just be plain and buttery.
If you consider salt as an ingredient, then so is butter.
So, if your popcorn has butter on it, it's not not plain.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

This league has become a bush one.
Is there any other professional league that has its head of disciplinary committee publicly state they will be less severe and strict in the POs??
How retarded is that?

Is there any other sport where fans actually chant ''referee sucks''?

It's pretty embarrassing.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
thom

Gilles Lupian.Rick Chartraw.Pierre Bouchard.Larry Robinson.Brian Englom.Mario Tremblay.Chris Nylan.Rod Langway.All big and could fight and had no fear.That is Canadiens hockey.

thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

using the pitts/philly series as a baseline is hypocritical. it's the only series where this kind of bush-league stuff is happening. yes, the playoff are tougher, but no tougher than previous years. even the biggest, baddest, most macho-est team in the east couldn't intimidate us last year.

no one is denying we need to get bigger and tougher, but that kind of game it is the exception, not the rule.

and besides, those so called 'pacifist' (and that should be trolling by the way) aren't against toughness, they're against goons. period.

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 04-16-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: my grammar is balls
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I doubt your story. No true Habs fan could follow this team for 40 years an not love every enforcer we ever had. I just don't buy it.

Please tell me you are lying.
Huh? I said the Habs don't need a Ferguson or Laraque in their lineup to win in today's NHL. The Habs last Cup win was in '93 and who was their "fighter" in the playoffs? it was Lyle Odelein and he was no goon. The Habs won in '93 with speed and skill and didn't have to resort to thuggery - and that's pre Jacques Martin.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Matteau and Samuelsson in the 2nd this year should address this problem for us
Who ?

and Samuelsson is big but soft. He is a good playoff performer though.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
right now, a guy like Staubitz on the Habs protects a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners...
This is true. Unfortunately, it also means Staubitz replaces a legit third or fourth line player. It shows how little scoring depth we have that Staubitz is one of our forwards. I like the guy, but winning teams have tough guys who can also produce.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:32 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Who ?

and Samuelsson is big but soft. He is a good playoff performer though.
The words following the first three should help you out.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Is there any other professional league that has its head of disciplinary committee publicly state they will be less severe and strict in the POs??
How retarded is that?

its what makes the nhl better than the rest.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:43 PM
SAKS AVENUE

I support
This is awesome. I hope the Habs harden up in the coming years.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Habs

Quote:
Huh? I said the Habs don't need a Ferguson or Laraque in their lineup to win in today's NHL. The Habs last Cup win was in '93 and who was their "fighter" in the playoffs? it was Lyle Odelein and he was no goon. The Habs won in '93 with speed and skill and didn't have to resort to thuggery - and that's pre Jacques Martin.
In 93 we had team toughness however you wanted it. Do I really have to list all the players from that 93 team that made it such a balanced club? All you came up with was Odelein?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:46 PM
SherbrookeW

This is the lowpoint of hockey in my lifetime. Anyone who enjoys it should move, or back, to the WWF. Either hockey will end the violence, or the violence will end hockey.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Gilles Lupian.Rick Chartraw.Pierre Bouchard.Larry Robinson.Brian Englom.Mario Tremblay.Chris Nylan.Rod Langway.All big and could fight and had no fear.That is Canadiens hockey.
At the same time, most of them weren't exactly fighting every week. Nilan can be considered something of a goon, but even he was expected to play hockey. What made these guys true Canadiens is that they worked hard and did whatever they had to for the team; if that meant making a statement so be it. Any great team will have players who will do whatever it takes.

This is a quote that always sticks out about "Canadiens hockey" to me:
Quote:
"This is not only a victory for the Canadiens; it is a victory for hockey. I hope that this era of intimidation and violence that is hurting our national sport is coming to an end. Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen."
- Serge Savard.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How retarded is that?

Yeah that was so dumb.

It just show that they just don't care about the victim.

Because the playoffs are shorter than a season and the games are more important, the suspension will be shorter.

Basically what they are saying is that you can injured a player for the remaining of the playoffs and get a shorter suspension, so you can come back to your team asap.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
its what makes the nhl better than the rest.
I wouldn't say the NHL is better. Hockey is my best sport, so I'll enjoy it more than anything else, but the NHL is not the best league.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Habs need guys like Morrow, Brown, etc... Not goons.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Habs need guys like Morrow, Brown, etc... Not goons.
This. We want team toughness, we need guys who play physical (ideally not cheap shotting scum) don't fight for the sake of fighting, but won't take crap if they come down to it.

Having a guy like Staubitz isn't bad, I wouldn't mind bringing him back. he seems well liked and can keep up with an NHL game, but on a good team he would be a healthy scratch most nights.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:18 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I like the fact that the refs let things go more in the playoffs and let the boys play. This was never an issue up until now. Hell, people looked forward to it.

Fans are just simply never happy. If the refs called everything and there were 13 PP's a game people would complain. If Shanahan handed out far stiffer suspensions, people would still complain. Complain, complain, complain. Why compare hockey to other sports? It's different...and that's just how I like it.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
lou4gehrig

Skill is still key in hockey. You can't have a team with all toughness beating a truly skilled team.

Let's be real here. Philly has alot of skill and scoring. Pittsburgh has won the cup with the same core of players and Malkin winning the Conn Smythe. So it's not like that type of team doesn't work.

Philly is just hot right now and Pittsburgh isn't. Same for LA vs. Vancouver.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote