Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 03:27 AM
gunner staal

vCash: 500
Werenski is a good player, but to suggest he is the best 97 player in the US is inaccurate.

Have heard rumblings of a few highly touted 97s from the states making their way up to the GTHL for the upcoming season. Can anyone confirm?

Old
04-16-2012, 10:38 PM
kingscout

my top 10.

1.Mitch Stephens
2.Zach Werenski
3.Travis Konecny
4.Brett Primeau
5.Karch Bachman
6.Jordan Greenway
7.Josh Defarias
8.Blake Spears
9.Cole Mayo
10.Kyle Capobianco

Old
04-17-2012, 12:01 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner staal View Post
Werenski is a good player, but to suggest he is the best 97 player in the US is inaccurate.

Have heard rumblings of a few highly touted 97s from the states making their way up to the GTHL for the upcoming season. Can anyone confirm?
so who would be better then Werenski at this point?

Old
04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
gunner staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
If you were talking about the best American D in OHL territory I'd agree, but I'd say Noah Hanifin is the top defenseman in the country. I guess I used a poor choice of wording that made it sound like he is far from the best, which certainly isn't the case. Zach is a very good player.

Last edited by gunner staal: 04-17-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Oakville will have a VERY good team this upcoming minor midget season.

Ken Strong coaching and based on last night's first tryout some interesting talent from Ottawa area, Pennsylvania, northern Ontario as well as top incumbents from last year. BIG boys who can play!

Should be a team to check out.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner staal View Post
If you were talking about the best American D in OHL territory I'd agree, but I'd say Noah Hanifin is the top defenseman in the country. I guess I used a poor choice of wording that made it sound like he is far from the best, which certainly isn't the case. Zach is a very good player.
indeed it did. by saying he is a good player, and that there are others better then him, you kind of made it sound like he was barely a top 10 prospect.

as for what I have said about Werenski I still stand by...but I do not get to see much of the East coast kids until after the selects so Hanifin could be a stud but I havent had much of an opportunity to see him.

I find it hard to believe anyone in the US is ahead of Werenski at this point becase he has been far ahead of the rest that I have seen for a while now...but I hope there are some solid kids coming out of the East coast that can really make some noise as well and possibly be better then Werenski..just havent seen them yet.

Old
04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
gunner staal

Quote:
indeed it did. by saying he is a good player, and that there are others better then him, you kind of made it sound like he was barely a top 10 prospect.

as for what I have said about Werenski I still stand by...but I do not get to see much of the East coast kids until after the selects so Hanifin could be a stud but I havent had much of an opportunity to see him.

I find it hard to believe anyone in the US is ahead of Werenski at this point becase he has been far ahead of the rest that I have seen for a while now...but I hope there are some solid kids coming out of the East coast that can really make some noise as well and possibly be better then Werenski..just havent seen them yet.
Sorry about that.Lack of sleep on my end, long few days.

Try to see Hanafin if you get a chance. You may not agree with my rating of Hanifin as #1 in the 97 group, but I think you'll at least see some merit in it and that the gap isn't that large.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Oakville will have a VERY good team this upcoming minor midget season.

Ken Strong coaching and based on last night's first tryout some interesting talent from Ottawa area, Pennsylvania, northern Ontario as well as top incumbents from last year. BIG boys who can play!

Should be a team to check out.
Kids from Ottawa, Pennsylvania, Northern Ontario trying out in hopes of playing for Ken Strong? Sounds like an East Coast Selects type of roster might be formed.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Kids from Ottawa, Pennsylvania, Northern Ontario trying out in hopes of playing for Ken Strong? Sounds like an East Coast Selects type of roster might be formed.
Yup.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
walker33

YSE will have a very good team with a few local kids returning for the minor midget season.

Rumblings the marlies picked up a 2 new goalies one from south central and one from vaughn. Oakville lured a huge D from the marlies as well because ken strong is his agent.

In my opinion you should play where you live. Enough is enough of teams taking players from other teams and i believe where you live or where your major AAA center is that is where you should play. I think it would make hockey much more competitive and take a little pressure off of these kids who are already feeling tons of pressure being there draft year.

Just my opinion but should be interesting to see oakville become the new powerhouse with the marlies being a close second eventhough they are loosing a few players.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
trahans99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscout View Post
my top 10.

1.Mitch Stephens
2.Zach Werenski
3.Travis Konecny
4.Brett Primeau
5.Karch Bachman
6.Jordan Greenway
7.Josh Defarias
8.Blake Spears
9.Cole Mayo
10.Kyle Capobianco

Is Konecny and Mayo expected to stay with EMC for their midget season?

Old
04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
walker33

ive heard the marlies are loosing 2 of top 3 dmen only one left is that guy who starts with a d for last name. I dont want to say names but think of 3 best dman and 2 are gone. Its gunna be nice not seeing the marlies dominate like usual but they will still have a good team. Oakville, Barrie, Whitby, YSE, Rebels, Elgin could all be top teams.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
HackeyFan8

don't know much about the jockeying for players going on but i know that whitby is going to be another strong team again, i expect barrie to be swell and yse

Old
04-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Yup.
Sounds like Oakville will be next years Marlies, from an import perspective. How many imports does the OMHA allow? Thanks.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Sounds like Oakville will be next years Marlies, from an import perspective. How many imports does the OMHA allow? Thanks.
MOHA will allow a minor midget team up to 5 imports with permission, but a good number of these players are apparently moving to Oakville and will be going to school and living in the town.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
MOHA will allow a minor midget team up to 5 imports with permission, but a good number of these players are apparently moving to Oakville and will be going to school and living in the town.
WHOA NELSON! Will have an OHL-team-feel to it. Should be quite the team.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:00 PM
mapleleaf979

hey Crott...Is Ken Strong coaching Oakville MM team this year?

Old
04-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
hey Crott...Is Ken Strong coaching Oakville MM team this year?
He is, yes.

Apparently going to be a team with kids from the National Champion Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
He is, yes.

Apparently going to be a team with kids from the National Champion Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins.
Interesting. Do u think he was offered more money?

Old
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
UppA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Interesting. Do u think he was offered more money?
Is that the team that had a lot of Russian imports? Are they all coming over as well?

Old
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Actually one of these imports is going to be billeted with the V.P. Rep, might be a small conflict of interest here. You know, its great that all these mega teams are forming up but are these `mega teams` being formed at the expense of stronger community based program. Yes, year after year 1 or 2 GTHL team always seem to dominate, through manipulation of the system and $$$s- do we really need to turn community based association into a similar `money dump`as the GTHL has turned in to. Seems to me year after year the OMHA, Alliance and other leagues throughout Ontario generate just as many `top Prospect` as the G, and at a significantly lower cost than the G

Old
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
againsttheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Actually one of these imports is going to be billeted with the V.P. Rep, might be a small conflict of interest here. You know, its great that all these mega teams are forming up but are these `mega teams` being formed at the expense of stronger community based program. Yes, year after year 1 or 2 GTHL team always seem to dominate, through manipulation of the system and $$$s- do we really need to turn community based association into a similar `money dump`as the GTHL has turned in to. Seems to me year after year the OMHA, Alliance and other leagues throughout Ontario generate just as many `top Prospect` as the G, and at a significantly lower cost than the G
I was wondering the same thing. The idea of "OMHA Hometown hockey" seems to be becoming a thing of the past. There have been super teams created in the GTHL, where boundaries are open and they also take kids from the OMHA region. The OMHA seems to be adopting this same practice.

While this may be great for the scouts for "one stop shopping", the kids who have been playing (some for years) in their hometown are being forced out to make way for the highly skilled players being brought in by teams. It seems the OMHA is turning a blind eye to much of the manipulation that has been increasing in the past few years. Perhaps this is in order to compete with the GTHL? To me, however, it seems like hometown hockey is becoming a thing of the past, and being replaced with super teams that are being determined by the strength of the dollars committed.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
I don't disagree with you but notwithstanding the players being drafted the last few year's results at the OHL Cup and in significant tournaments, the GTHL teams continue to dominate.

The OMHA for one doesn't do its teams any benefit by scheduling the SCTA and OMHA weekends just before the OHL Cup but does anyone really believe this past year STA would have done significantly better even if well rested?

This OMHA team has decided it appears if you can't beat them, join them. Given the modus for GTHL teams for the longest while has been to agressively attract the best players in the province and often in the US (see Tyler Biggs with JRC A few years back) I for one hope the Oakville Rangers do well next year and have some real success. There seems to be a real lack of direction from the powers that be in this province insofar as either hometown hockey or recruitment hockey is the way to go. Clearly at least in the 1997 age group, this Rangers team has determined the silence means, in the famous words of Al Davis, "just win baby."

Go Rangers!

Old
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UppA45 View Post
Is that the team that had a lot of Russian imports? Are they all coming over as well?
Yes, that's Wilkes-Barre Scranton. Maybe Crotts knows if any or all of those Russian imports are coming to play for Oakville next season. Igor Larionov is heavily involved in those kids coming over to the U.S.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99 View Post
Is Konecny and Mayo expected to stay with EMC for their midget season?
They are both at tryouts, and neither has a reason to leave.

Closed Thread