HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Kreider Plays...

Old
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
EEDAWGZ

vCash: 500
Criticizing Krieder at this stage in his career is laughable

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sounds not unlike my former favorite prospect, Grachev. I still don't know what went wrong there, but as I was watching him I kept thinking I saw flashes and that he only needed time to gain consistency - but it's two years later and he still seemingly hasn't figured out how to play with the decisiveness required at the NHL level.

I would guess Kreider hasn't figured out how to play with the decisiveness required at the NHL level because, until today, he hadn't played an NHL game. There's a huge difference between playing two games a week in Hockey East and playing in the NHL playoffs. The guy's not even 21 yet, let's not get too discouraged. From my point of view, it looks like all the tools are there, and it's just a matter of getting him adjusted and giving him time to grow.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
First game and he'll get better but to me he looked like a deer in headlights. Confused, not real sure where he was suppose to be. The CBC announcers even comentented on his seemingly confused approach.

At times, he looked like a fan who was standing there watching, except he was on the ice.

He looked lost on offense. Great speed, great size, but no offensive creativity. Looked like a bigger, less confident version of Sjostrom. Until he learns offensive creativity, he should just park himself in front of the goalie and use his size and long reach to get garbage goals. That said, I can definitely see him becoming a very competent third liner very quickly. Obviously his potential is much more than to be a third liner, but for these playoffs, I think he can adjust to the NHL fast enough to be a solid third liner as quickly as the second round.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Gr9vy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
Criticizing Krieder at this stage in his career is laughable
this

Seriously it was his 1ST NHL GAME and no less in the playoffs coming off a bad loss the amount of pressure we put on this kid is insane 1st line with gabby and richie i think overall he played well enough to earn his keep. im not saying he didn't make mistakes but hopefully he's shaken off some of the gitters and can come out strong the next game he plays we've all seen what he could be capable of.

Gr9vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

The people that don't understand why he was gassed, what did you expect?

He was thrown into a game that is an order of magnitude faster than anything he played before. He was sucking wind 30 seconds into a shift, he isn't even close to being used to that kind of pace.

Please don't tell me practice this time of year is going to replicate a game's pace either. He was fine for the given circumstance. He improved significantly as the game progressed.

The only egregious thing I saw was on his first shift. It looked like he stopped going into the corner, when he clearly would have gotten the puck. I think he was tired but not sure.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I don't know man, I think the Rangers need offense more than toughness at this point, and even a slightly-lost Kreider gives much more potential offense than Scott.
Maybe, but he's also lost in the defensive zone. If he remains lost, he'll be glued to the bench like he was in the 3rd period.

So then the question is, until Hagelin is back, would you rather have someone with the physical tools to play well on both sides of the puck who's just lost out there, or someone who is just too slow to do it but brings toughness/fighting.

Now anyone who has read my posts over the past ten years knows I would MUCH rather see a kid out there with Kreider's offensive skill over a "player" like Scott. And I value the long-term potential of someone like Kreider. So you know it pains me to say this, but if he plays the next game like he did tonight I'd rather see Scott out there than Kreider, given how this series has gone.

Is this a statement that Kreider can't ever be good? No. Is it saying he's a bad player? No. I'm just saying that the Rangers are playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and have a good chance to go far. Personnel decisions during the playoffs are, and have to be, myopic compared to the regular season, where a team can afford to take a longer-term view of player development.

I WANT Kreider to step in and play well. I really do, I'm excited by his potential. But he was playing scared out there tonight, and if he doesn't improve quickly, in my opinion he's better off in the stands learning the Rangers' game.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
JCrusher*

the kid did get better as the game went on. He showed that he could skate and he could use his size to his advantage. he came very close to scoring two goals that he missed because he was tentative

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Lol I'm not sure what some of you guys expected from the kid. There is no comparison betrween NCAA and NHl Play off hockey.... He had a better game then I thought he would have. All the tools are there, he just needs to go through training camp and a season!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:28 PM
TheBigBadB

Give the kid a break. NHL is way above college hockey, and NHL playoffs is another atmosphere all together.

If anything the kid wins at every level he has played. I can tell ya he usually starts off slow at any level hes played, but he is a student of the game, he learns fast, and then dominates. He will be a great player by his second/third year.

TheBigBadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I don't understand why people associate doubt with his ability to handle the playoffs -at this moment in his career- with negativity surrounding his long-term potential.

The two are completely unrelated.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
Lol I'm not sure what some of you guys expected from the kid.

For two years, I was writing again and again on this forum that people shouldn't expect crazy things from Kreider. Not only did a lot of people have him penciled in for top-6 next year, several people last summer were talking of him as our first line LW in this current season instead of going to college.

Reasonably speaking, he could have only been expected to be big and fast, and learn the rest over the next 2-3 years. That's what he was: big and fast. He was also nervous, but hopefully that goes away in the next couple of games as he adjusts to some things in the NHL.

I think we just got ourselves a competent third liner for the playoffs. The problem is that the last two years, everyone expected him to come in as an immediately 30-goal scorer.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:40 PM
h0ckeyman

He's a bust.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:41 PM
h0ckeyman

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Lone Ranger

Geez, some are tough graders. He was solid in his first NHL game. He certainly didn't look overwhelmed by the step up in competition. It's almost as if with certain fans, that if he scored two goals, they'd be complaining that he didn't get the hat trick.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

this thread is ridiculous....

He looked pretty good for being thrown to the wolves for his first NHL game.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:54 PM
avery16*

he got remarkable better in each shift.. his last shift i think he took the puck from gaborik... i was hoping hed get a few more shifts at the end there, but you gotta understand torts sitting him down.. he took a few hits that didnt seem to phase him.. i wonder what happens when hagelin comes back.

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Well he was fast as **** on one shift and he actually almost banged home a rebound later in the game, but obviously a non-factor otherwise. Even Richards said in his post game interview that no one knew wtf was going on since they've barely talked before this game.

Hopefully this is a learning experience? Who knows he obviously looks like a good player I just hope it translates into something while Hagelin is banned.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I thought he was wonderful.

Obviously he isn't going to be up to speed in his first NHL game. He threw his weight around was fairly decent with the puck had a few good chances.

Anyone who expected him to replace Hagelin and do just as well doesn't understand the first thing about hockey.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Geez, some are tough graders. He was solid in his first NHL game. He certainly didn't look overwhelmed by the step up in competition. It's almost as if with certain fans, that if he scored two goals, they'd be complaining that he didn't get the hat trick.
This. We're people expecting a Stepan-like debut? Come on guys.

I thought he looked decent. Played 11 mins, which is more that Playoff Veteran Mike Rupp played. Tools are there. He just needs to out it all together. Rookies and others that have played in the NHL, but never a playoff game feel nervous in their 1st playoff game. The kid made his NHL debut in the playoffs! Easy with the expectations.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Btw I hope it was just nerves and adjustment because his checks were ***** bryan boyle style, Hagelin hits 100x harder in the corners with 40lbs less.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:03 PM
frankthefrowner

Man this place is rough, it was his first nhl game ever.. i mean the game is faster than NCAA in hockey, let alone playoff hockey..

As someone Alluded to having a Stepan Like debut. Even Steps got a training camp and pre season. We pretty much said, heres a practice or 2 and go play playoff hockey oh and youll be playing on the top line..

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:06 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Gang, he's been a part of the organization for what...a whole week?

He's learning the system. Never spent time at Rookie Camp during the summer because of the NCAA Rules, never worked with Reg Grant on a strength and conditioning program, and yet he played 11 minutes and looked fine.

I don't know what people expect, for him to come in and score two goals?

This is all major experience and confidence points for him.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
mullichicken25

taking a step back and really considering the circumstances of how he's beginning his NHL career I think he played pretty damn well

to be honest it was better than I was expecting

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
taking a step back and really considering the circumstances of how he's beginning his NHL career I think he played pretty damn well

to be honest it was better than I was expecting
Yeah I think this is pretty much it.

He outperformed everyone's realistic expectations, but I think the problem is that everyone secretly hoped that he'd be Linsanity v2.0 and score a hat trick in his first game.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Blueshirt Believer

What are people expecting? Krieder to be Jarri Kurri to Richards Gretzsky?

Its his first game, he played fine. I am shocked he was even playing with our best offensive players. He is going to take some time to adjust.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote