HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XLVI: (Tre)living on a prayer

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting. Several foes. Wasnt aware they'd been sitting on the land for some time, silently, waiting for development to spring up around it before announcing their plans. Havent changed my mind about it, still like the idea, though their method certainly raises a bunch of questions that might well cause one to withdraw support if not addressed. A complex & contentious issue.
To add to the suspense..... They set up a holding company to buy the land giving it a name that would never be linked to the tribe. It was mentioned in another article in the AZR a while back but I'm not sure if I can get it.

They bought the land in 2003. The hockey arena plans were already known about by then and the football stadium bidding process had started.

Sit on the property until you get a favorable administration in Washington and bingo!

Old
04-16-2012, 09:59 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

It's done boys. The Yotes are staying. QC will get an expansion franchise. A Win-Win!

Old
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
It's done boys. The Yotes are staying. QC will get an expansion franchise. A Win-Win!
Fine if the Coyotes remain in Arizona but expansion should not be on the NHL's agenda at the present time. I support a team in markets like QC, southern Ontario and Seattle but through relocation not expansion.

Glad to hear that an agreement has been reached to keep the Coyotes in Arizona but I'll believe it when I hear it coming from L'il Gary's mouth.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post
CUPCAKES FOR ALL!!!!!

CUPCAKES FOR ALL!!!!!

Old
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
How did you arrive at that conclusion? As far as I am concerned we don't know ANYTHING AT ALL!

Old
04-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Hahahahahahaha!

Sure, the Goldwater institute is getting involved, and now you declare victory!

Let's make a deal;

If they do stay; You get to give me an ''I told you so!'' speach.

but

If it's the opposite, you'll hear about that quote of yours!

Do you want to know how certain we are of the Coyotes moving for next year? On TV, in primetime (And on their website), the Latulippe stores are advertising that they are giving away a pair of Nordiques season tickets.

But, of course, it's possible they wont play next season... if there is a lockout. In which case you'll get 2013-2014 season tickets or 10 000$ cash.

Most people around here are almost 100% certain we'll get them.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:23 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
Quote:
Well, Mr. KevyD, i'll gladly give you a firm and honest "You were right" if this, indeed, happens.

Here's to hoping i'll get the opposite

Old
04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Damn, May is going to be an interesting month.

And not just because of the 2 Broke Girls season finale

Old
04-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
They set up a holding company to buy the land giving it a name that would never be linked to the tribe.
... numbered company or something obscure. Hmm. Not impressed.
Not illegal, but definitely not very cool in light of what their planning.
You start talking gambling, youd better make sure your rep's pristine.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:28 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
If it's the opposite, you'll hear about that quote of yours!
That's fine Ace.

Please remember, I am Canadian. I would love to see more teams in Canada. I just think the teams is staying and everyone should not get their hopes up.

Good luck to all of you.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:29 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post
Well, Mr. KevyD, i'll gladly give you a firm and honest "You were right" if this, indeed, happens.

Here's to hoping i'll get the opposite
Good luck buddy.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:31 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
How did you arrive at that conclusion? As far as I am concerned we don't know ANYTHING AT ALL!
I don't know. I just see momentum going Glendale's way. Maybe I am wrong. God knows I have been wrong about a million things in life. A million and one won't make much of a difference.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:41 PM
checkerdome

"Goldwater Institute ready to scrutinize next shot at Phoenix Coyotes sale"

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...to.html?page=2

Old
04-17-2012, 12:57 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:

What is latest news? I don't get what is happening. Why are the Coyotes staying?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:26 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
actually a company's management is not legally allowed to have morals. they must make decisions that they reasonably believe are in the best interests of the company, within the law.
This is an erroneous statement. Companies are not only permitted to own a moral compass, they are fossils if they haven't figured the importance of it. Information travels quickly in today's society, and it takes little time to make or break a reputation. Integrity goes further today than ever before.

As for Jetsfan88. I once prognosticated on insider info and got burned. Even people "in the Know" are sometimes not given the full story. Not to mention that their info could be old news and things have changed by the time you get the message.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
What is latest news? I don't get what is happening. Why are the Coyotes staying?
There is no news. Nothing is happening. Nobody knows anything.

The jib jab continues at break neck speed.

SNAFU

Old
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
There is no news. Nothing is happening. Nobody knows anything.

The jib jab continues at break neck speed.

SNAFU

Thanks. When Kevy said they are staying, I thought a deal has been reached.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Ugmo

So the NHL's bosom buddy Greg Jamison has apparently made an offer to the City of Glendale, correct? And the Glendale City Council is apparently about to accept the offer, guaranteeing that the city will continue to sink millions a year into the Coyotes. But league owns the team right now, so surely it's the league that will decide whether to sell. Man, I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it kind of looks to me like the league said to Greg Jamison "Make the CoG an offer they can refuse, and even if they don't refuse and the Goldwater Institute doesn't get involved, the offer will be so far below PKP's that we can say 'Sorry, we need to at least recoup our purchase price and subsequent losses - and we also cannot in good conscience continue to fleece the taxpayers of Glendale.'" The league gets its money, PKP gets his team, Jamison gets to look like he tried to be a white knight (and possibly some other benefits from the league), the Glendale City Council gets to look like it made an honest effort to keep the Coyotes in town, and the taxpayers of Glendale get to cut their losses. Wouldn't that be win-win all around except for the Coyotes fans (although only relatively speaking for the taxpayers of Glendale)?

Not to mention: why would Jamison, who may or may not have the money to purchase the team in the first place, be willing to take millions more in losses every year as it's owner? If the current 25 million subsidy isn't enough to keep the team in the black, how would the reduced future subsidy be enough? And then, is Jamison able to spend enough to make the team competitive on the ice? Because apparently what is required to make people want to see them. And why would the other 29 owners want to keep sharing profits with a team that has been losing money for years and is now being run on a shoestring budget?

None of it adds up. Which doesn't mean it's not going to happen, just that it makes no sense.

Last edited by Ugmo: 04-17-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old
04-17-2012, 07:12 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
This is an erroneous statement. Companies are not only permitted to own a moral compass, they are fossils if they haven't figured the importance of it. Information travels quickly in today's society, and it takes little time to make or break a reputation. Integrity goes further today than ever before.
There's more than just the Milton Freidman market discipline stuff. I sit high enough in a very large firm to understand how decisions are made, and it's not all money, money, money, screw ppl, screw ppl, screw ppl, as long as it can be gotten away with. There are decent human beings who possess a moral compass on every board and executive committee, despite what Hollywood would lead you to believe. That doesn't mean there aren't bad apples, but those exist in every corner of society.

Quote:
As for Jetsfan88. I once prognosticated on insider info and got burned. Even people "in the Know" are sometimes not given the full story. Not to mention that their info could be old news and things have changed by the time you get the message.
This happens a lot. Things change, often very significantly and abruptly, and you don't always get the whole story when things are said and done.

Old
04-17-2012, 07:14 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... numbered company or something obscure. Hmm. Not impressed.
Not illegal, but definitely not very cool in light of what their planning.
You start talking gambling, youd better make sure your rep's pristine.
I wholly agree, but it should also be noted that some groups take into consideration that they will be judged on more than their reputation.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Thanks. When Kevy said they are staying, I thought a deal has been reached.
I'm pretty sure he was the same guy who said it was a done deal a year ago with Hulsizer. Much in the same matter of fact, you're an idiot if you don't believe him kind of way.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Blue Warriors

Quote:
Here is the solution : just like the Minnesota North Stars, the team is split in two (Dallas and San Jose). One half stays in Phoenix with Jamison as the owner and the other half goes to Québec . The relocation/expansion fee paid by PKP cover the NHL losses.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:14 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue warriors View Post
Here is the solution : just like the Minnesota North Stars, the team is split in two (Dallas and San Jose). One half stays in Phoenix with Jamison as the owner and the other half goes to Québec . The relocation/expansion fee paid by PKP cover the NHL losses.
From a QC pov, I would rather have the right to pick up a player from every of the 30 teams (excluding their 10 players protection list) than start with half of Coyotes.

Anyway, you people gotta understand that if there is expansion, it wont be done with one team, but with two. Now...which other market is ready to host a NHL team in October 2012 ?

Old
04-17-2012, 10:31 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
From a QC pov, I would rather have the right to pick up a player from every of the 30 teams (excluding their 10 players protection list) than start with half of Coyotes.

Anyway, you people gotta understand that if there is expansion, it wont be done with one team, but with two. Now...which other market is ready to host a NHL team in October 2012 ?
Agree no way NHL will expand in the next year or two.....for Quebec it is the Coyotes or the waiting game continues

Old
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Ugmo

Well MLS only has 19 teams right now, although that admittedly is not ideal.

Closed Thread