HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Snow Now!

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 10:38 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
He probably would've been ripped at the time but more importantly he'd be praised for his foresight today. Losing Comeau for nothing was simply poor asset management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
or, he was an uninspired cancer, and no other team would offer anything for him.

anyone know for sure?
Or option C: he was a gypsy. Anyone able to disprove this one?

Old
04-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
... We've drafted very well with Snow IMO... so... idk what you're complaining about... Some picks may buck conventional thought, but even his "busts" (Bailey, for example) are playing in the NHL and will be valuable players or trade chips in the future
Hindsight is 20/20. But I really think if Bailey was returned to juniors for his final 2 years of eligibility and then giving a test run last year. We would really be looking at a much different, yet BETTER hockey player right now. Throw in a rookie season working under a coach like Laviolette, Tortorella, Babcock or a Hitchcock and not Mr. GoGo Fast or Cappy and you have a bright NHL career unfolding. It's fine to take a risk going with someone who isn't that established. Because Laviolette wasn't established when we hired him. But obviously, Snow doesn't have that gut feeling needed to find a coaches version of a diamond in the rough. He should have made an offer to Hitchcock over the off season along with Konopka. But unfortunately for us that didn't happen and coincidentally those two individuals are currently in the play-offs.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:10 PM
OlTimeHockey

Oh, and Konopka's playing.

Yeah, the guy said to be benched every game by Snowconers.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Oh, and Konopka's playing.

Yeah, the guy said to be benched every game by Snowconers.
Life! Life is Live! Nah na na nah na.
Haha, yeah he is too terrible for our team. Guy gets an assist on the game tying goal against the raggies but still can't get respect from this fan base. Gotta love Zenon, we need him back.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
Life! Life is Live! Nah na na nah na.
Haha, yeah he is too terrible for our team. Guy gets an assist on the game tying goal against the raggies but still can't get respect from this fan base. Gotta love Zenon, we need him back.
I always liked the guy in a Isles uniform. Good face-off man and a stand up guy who sticks up for his teammates.

But the reality is the Chairman wanted him gone. In fact, the exile of Konopka tells a bigger story about Wang. Konopka was starting to take over the locker room. He was challenging the young guys to want more. He was demanding accountability of every one on the ice and in the locker room. He was leading. Wang doesn't like that. I guess if Konopka had called 911 after that Penguins game—that ended with Dp's busted jaw—he might still be here?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:30 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles75 View Post
I always liked the guy in a Isles uniform. Good face-off man and a stand up guy who sticks up for his teammates.

But the reality is the Chairman wanted him gone. In fact, the exile of Konopka tells a bigger story about Wang. Konopka was starting to take over the locker room. He was challenging the young guys to want more. He was demanding accountability of every one on the ice and in the locker room. He was leading. Wang doesn't like that. I guess if Konopka had called 911 after that Penguins game—that ended with Dp's busted jaw—he might still be here?
Someone gets it.

Wang didn't like the fact that his "Pink Team" was starting to grow a pair. That's been my theory since last year, and I stick by it.

I'd GLADLY celebrate his return to the Island (granted, with two more defensively responsible wingers, though.) Not that JT needs to learn how to lead, just that the team seemed to give up at an extremely slower rate when Konopka was playing field marshal. That's one of those points that we can file under "best of luck debating that and not looking WAY uninformed."

I'd loan Reasoner to a Antarctic whaling fleet and eat the cost just to free up the roster space that allows the team to have that kind of "screw you, we don't back down" he brought to the table.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Someone gets it.

Wang didn't like the fact that his "Pink Team" was starting to grow a pair. That's been my theory since last year, and I stick by it.

I'd GLADLY celebrate his return to the Island (granted, with two more defensively responsible wingers, though.) Not that JT needs to learn how to lead, just that the team seemed to give up at an extremely slower rate when Konopka was playing field marshal. That's one of those points that we can file under "best of luck debating that and not looking WAY uninformed."

I'd loan Reasoner to a Antarctic whaling fleet and eat the cost just to free up the roster space that allows the team to have that kind of "screw you, we don't back down" he brought to the table.
The bench clearing brawls and the days of The Hammer or Tiger Williams may be gone. But one thing that will never changes in hockey is intimidation and how it affects a team. If someone thinks that having a few line mates that will watch your back, correct the wrongs and set the record straight doesn't helps a players confidence and style of play, then they don't understand this game.

Potvin has always credited Howatt, Nystrom and Gillies for how they stood up for him and the rest of the team against the Bruins in that legendary 1979-80 quarter finals series. He has gone on the record about how much of a relief and confidence boost it was. If any one wants to get an idea of just how bad that series was, youtube it. Gillies famous fights with O'Rielly come from that series.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:33 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
The bench clearing brawls and the days of The Hammer or Tiger Williams may be gone. But one thing that will never changes in hockey is intimidation and how it affects a team. If someone thinks that having a few line mates that will watch your back, correct the wrongs and set the record straight doesn't helps a players confidence and style of play, then they don't understand this game.

Potvin has always credited Howatt, Nystrom and Gillies for how they stood up for him and the rest of the team against the Bruins in that legendary 1979-80 quarter finals series. He has gone on the record about how much of a relief and confidence boost it was. If any one wants to get an idea of just how bad that series was, youtube it. Gillies famous fights with O'Rielly come from that series.

Thank you. This is EXACTLY why when people say Konopka was worthless, the first thing I wonder is if they ever played a physical competitive sport like hockey.

I did, and I was NOT a bruiser at first, but I was and am over 6'3" and 220 lbs....so I had to learn how to, as my team had only 2 other skaters over 5'11", and I know how to throw a solid body check.....and if someone doesn't think other teams would have different lines out or respond a little differently to someone willing to flex back to physical play, I invite them to join a beer league that has some competitive spirit.

The Islanders play better when they have the "ill humor" cranked to 11. I don't mean assaulting people; I just mean letting Martin do what he does best up until other teams try to let loose with extra mischief. THAT'S where guys like Konopka and Haley come in.

There's something from the Tom Clancy novels called the "Trade Reform Act" that basically says "if you try to bend us over, we can prove it's a two-way street." I don't ask for the Isles to go 2/11 in every game, just to play an opponent like men attempting to impose will to win a game rather than a bunch of boys playing for fun. Having played hockey, THAT is something that sticks out to me a lot with everyone not wearing #'s 91, 17, 3, 15 or 20. They ran their mouths, they were willing to grind it out a bit - they played like high-fiving the goalie and celebrating was what they wanted more than skulking off the ice to get reamed by the coach for the lack of effort. Much of the rest of the team seems to be way too content with a simple paycheck.

Best example ever: the 2012 Philadelphia Flyers.

Love 'em or hate 'em, we ALL wish that the Islanders has the same understanding of "Goonies NEVER say die" that the Flyers are exhibiting, and not only because it makes therapy a necessary off-season step for the Penguins and the more cocky/irreverently jocular end of their fanbase. That's what "not giving up" can get you, and the kind of steel in the spines of those players only shows up in traces of 1/4th of the NYI line-up.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:58 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Pretty much this. And as stated before gm's are supposed to have the foresight and courage to make some deals even if they are unpopular at the moment. Of course no GM will be perfect but the problem is Garth almost never makes a trade. And when you have resources as limited as the Isles then every deal (or no deal in this case) becomes that much more important.
wow, some of you guys are a tough crowd. if Snow would have traded Comeau when he was playing well, there would have been an uproar.

well, i still maintain that he's an average GM. we could have better, and we could have worse...

not worth stressing over...

Old
04-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
wow, some of you guys are a tough crowd. if Snow would have traded Comeau when he was playing well, there would have been an uproar.

well, i still maintain that he's an average GM. we could have better, and we could have worse...

not worth stressing over...
A GM wants to raise the standards for his team, not pander to the crowd.

Blake Comeau, even when he was hot, was obviously not a fit for the team. He was a black hole. He required a pure playmaker, and he turned the puck over up high in the offensive zone way too often. He could work as a secondary scorer on a team with talented 2-way players. On a team where he actually needs to think and play, he never worked. Add to that that unlike Bailey, he did not develop into a good PK player.

Whatever consistency problems there are with Bailey, Okposo, and Grabner - they are all team players who work to improve in their proper roles (right now PK, not PP). Comeau never fit. He should have been traded at the best opportunity in the last two years, because his lack of fit was always obvious.

Now it's possible at some point in his career, Comeau could score 14 goals in a postseason and parlay that into a 3.5m/year contract a la Sean Bergenheim. Just like Sean Bergenheim, he'll make that contract a mistake.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:

Amen to that, this is what I'm saying. Besides faceoffs and hits he brought so many intangibles to the Isles (even an original goal song). This is why Garth signed him in the first place, to replace unexperienced Brent Thompson (Gordo's boy), complete upgrade. Then he listens to Chollie because he doesn't have a set and goes for washed up Reasoner, we love giving over 35ers multi-year contracts.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:55 AM
rikker

Quote:
Or option C: he was a gypsy. Anyone able to disprove this one?
jeez, all you do is ask people to back up their accusations with factual data...

i liked Konopka, but i honestly thought that Haley could replace him, and offer a BIT more, in the way of skillset. disappointed that Haley didn't spend more time with the big club this year, but i think he will in 2012/3.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Chairman Wang

Quote:

Now can we please have the bolded selection written as the subtitle for the next publication of "Hockey for Dummies." Maybe Wang will finally understand this concept.

As for the rest of the post... I'm fine with making it the "Islander HFBoards" pledge of allegiance.

Thank you that is all.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:15 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:

I think the only one that can truly stand up and fight back against wang and the rest of his communist chinese empire is JT. Unlike Konopka, JT's value is way too high for wang to ever consider getting rid of him if he was to stick up for the team and challenge the guys in the locker room like konopka did last season.

Old
04-15-2012, 05:06 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:

edit: Gretzky wouldn't have been as great as he was without proper protection either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
I think the only one that can truly stand up and fight back against wang and the rest of his communist chinese empire is JT. Unlike Konopka, JT's value is way too high for wang to ever consider getting rid of him if he was to stick up for the team and challenge the guys in the locker room like konopka did last season.
Under just about any other owner and I'd agree with you. Under Wang though I think the only predictable thing is that he's unpredictably stupid decisions.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:54 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
jeez, all you do is ask people to back up their accusations with factual data...

i liked Konopka, but i honestly thought that Haley could replace him, and offer a BIT more, in the way of skillset. disappointed that Haley didn't spend more time with the big club this year, but i think he will in 2012/3.
Now not knowing what Konopka was under Gorton, IU'd agree. Haley has all that and more.

But knowing what Konopka was after Cappy took over and Zenon was free to be a leadership voice and motivating factor, NO, Haley doesn't take the reigns from Zenon but sure would AUGMENT Zenon's impact.

My ideal was Haley, Martin and Zenon on the team. I wanted a toughy on defense WHO COULD PLAY brought in to compliment Hamonic as well.

We have a leader among the tough guys, a spark plug, a fighting punisher and a defensive ace as well as whatever we could nab in the Defensive addition.

We kinda look like Philly, then, with skill, toughness, battle, CHARACTER and will.

The problem with Snow and Wang is....they don't augment, they shuffle and replace and they sure lost on this last offseason's reshuffling.

Haley didn't even play. I believe Snow, in what seems HIS form (Wang's form), decided Martin would be the exclusive tough guy up front, Hamonic on rear, JT the ace, Moulson the sniper, PAP the cheap LW, Grabner the speedster scorer, Bailey the 2 way, Reasoner the PK, Rolston the PP specialist and all defined roles were exclusive. Nice.

Meanwhile we watch playoff teams with guys who play and fight to win in all areas of the game. Zenon won the key faceoffs and intimidated and fought. He wasn't bad on the rest of the game. 4th line stuff. We traded that for......Reasoner. WE LOST A LOT MORE THAN WE GAINED.

Regardless, this summer we have to get a few players and now, unfortunately, they ALL have to be bigger, stronger and tougher to make us a better roster - just in case we should slip into the postseason for a lark.

Old
04-16-2012, 02:57 AM
leaponover

Wow, can't believe how much this thread has been taken over by Konopka talk, lol. The guy was great a faceoffs, had grit, was an average fighter, and seemed to be a strong character guy. That's about it. He isn't going to come CLOSE to making or breaking a hockey team folks, move on already. Yeah, the Isles need a Konopka right now but a whole team of Konopkas or a whole team of Matt Martins isn't going to be an above 500 hockey team so stop kidding yourselves and get passed this already lol!!

Old
04-16-2012, 03:01 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Hunter was a warrior for his club, can't wait to see how the board treats Martin in 3 seasons when he becomes "worthless".
LMAO! Yeah, Hunter was a warrior i'll give him that but doesn't change the fact that he declined and couldn't compete anymore. Same with Mark Parrish. The guy was golden for us on several occasions but once again he couldn't hang anymore. Same thing could happen to Matt Moulson, you never know. I'm not denying Hunter's addition to the team but in the grand scheme of things he'll be forgotten about by most Islander fans...

Old
04-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
LMAO! Yeah, Hunter was a warrior i'll give him that but doesn't change the fact that he declined and couldn't compete anymore. Same with Mark Parrish. The guy was golden for us on several occasions but once again he couldn't hang anymore. Same thing could happen to Matt Moulson, you never know. I'm not denying Hunter's addition to the team but in the grand scheme of things he'll be forgotten about by most Islander fans...
Same with Mike Bossy, whats the point? I wouldn't call any player I respected worthless. And Snow got the short end of that deal again because having Hunter playing 4th line minutes for 50 games this year would have done a lot less harm than waste of space Rolston was on the Power Play and Second line this year. So not only did Snow burden the team with Rolston but he relieved a division rival who was in a cap crunch. Many will say Lamoriello did us the favor to help the Isles get to the cap floor but Snow is the one who put himself in that position to begin with.
Snow's Off every offseason.

Last edited by Janson: 04-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old
04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Same with Mike Bossy, whats the point? I wouldn't call any player I respected worthless. And Snow got the short end of that deal again because having Hunter playing 4th line minutes for 50 games this year would have done a lot less harm than waste of space Rolston was on the Power Play and Second line this year. So not only did Snow burden the team with Rolston but he relieved a division rival who was in a cap crunch. Many will say Lamoriello did us the favor to help the Isles get to the cap floor but Snow is the one who put himself in that position to begin with.
Snow's Off every offseason.
I dunno.....I could be mistaken but couldn't Snow have gotten a top two defenseman in July, kept Hunter on line 4, kept Konopka on line 4, gotten Haley on line 4, spent on a replacement for Comeau in November, not rushed Nino and fielded a much better team without spending as much as he did for the gahbage he gave us this past fall?

I will not say he should have traded Comeau because you don't trade a young winger whose production was going up every year. Not until you have to. (as in, not Snow's fault)

Old
04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
I dunno.....I could be mistaken but couldn't Snow have gotten a top two defenseman in July, kept Hunter on line 4, kept Konopka on line 4, gotten Haley on line 4, spent on a replacement for Comeau in November, not rushed Nino and fielded a much better team without spending as much as he did for the gahbage he gave us this past fall?

I will not say he should have traded Comeau because you don't trade a young winger whose production was going up every year. Not until you have to. (as in, not Snow's fault)
Quiet you, you'll wake the ostriches.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:01 PM
blitzkriegs

Snow is doing what Wang wants. Keep costs as low as possible. To Wang that means he can "rebuild" for a better tomorrow.

Interestingly, Wang has also gotten more concessions from the county and smg the past several years. Those concessions being revenue streams beyond just the hockey club. So, with attendance roughly the same, Wang has a low cash payroll, yet has more revenue opportunities...Hmmm...and a big fat cable deal.

His revenue grab with the jerseys was an epic failure. Don't worry Wang ain't dumping those unis until he makes 100 percent of his money back on developing that garbage. It's gonna be awhile...

Old
04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

Yeah probably.

and trust me I'm not defending snow here, but had we kept Hunter, he'd still have a contract for next season. Sure Rolston was a giant bust, but at least we're done with that contract now.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Snow is doing what Wang wants. Keep costs as low as possible. To Wang that means he can "rebuild" for a better tomorrow.

Interestingly, Wang has also gotten more concessions from the county and smg the past several years. Those concessions being revenue streams beyond just the hockey club. So, with attendance roughly the same, Wang has a low cash payroll, yet has more revenue opportunities...Hmmm...and a big fat cable deal.

His revenue grab with the jerseys was an epic failure. Don't worry Wang ain't dumping those unis until he makes 100 percent of his money back on developing that garbage. It's gonna be awhile...
Unfortunately it wasn't. I really didn't think they'd be able to sell more than 10 of those things. but you see a lot of fans wearing it at the games. it's a shame because it's a lousy jersey. but it really wasn't the failure that it should have been.

Old
04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Yeah probably.

and trust me I'm not defending snow here, but had we kept Hunter, he'd still have a contract for next season. Sure Rolston was a giant bust, but at least we're done with that contract now.
Or just waive him like New Jersey (a normal organization) did. Helping the Debbies out was the icing on the cake for Snow. Watch him trade for Redden this September to reach the floor.

Closed Thread